PDA

View Full Version : Hair Accident and Disaster Thread

cathair
June 25th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure I've seen a thread like this so I thought I would start one, if there already is one, please do merge it.

Have you ever had a hair mishap that's really annoyed you, but no one else understands why it is so annoying? Caught your hair on something and ripped it? Someone accidentally set it on fire? Dipped it in something that made it stick together? Then this is the place to have a good rant about it! :taz:

I'll start. Wore my hair in plait outside the house for the first time in an age begrudgingly, because I had to do something I couldn't wear a bun for. My Mum's new puppy wanted a hug and then suddenly bit the end of my braid tassel and I think he ripped off some of the longest ends off.

Cuddling puppies will always be worth it, he is so cute. But it's also pretty annoying and frustrating!

skeletonous
June 25th, 2014, 02:24 PM
When my hair was super long I would always get yogurt on it lol :laugh: oh well.

cathair
June 25th, 2014, 02:28 PM
lol :lol: I wonder if yoghurt is any good for hair? :) When I wore my hair down more it seemed to be attracted to ketchup, that stuff is so hard to get hair out of when it dries.

Anje
June 25th, 2014, 02:55 PM
When my hair was super long I would always get yogurt on it lol :laugh: oh well.

:lol: It's not for nothing that my mom had a rule that I had to wear my hair pulled back when eating!

Larki
June 25th, 2014, 04:33 PM
lol :lol: I wonder if yoghurt is any good for hair? :) When I wore my hair down more it seemed to be attracted to ketchup, that stuff is so hard to get hair out of when it dries.

I think I've seen a recipe for a hair mask with yogurt!

Loviatar
June 25th, 2014, 05:46 PM
I lost my bangs to a Bunsen burner in science class once... Yikes

ladylowtide
June 25th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Tried the method of cutting the little clear hair ties instead of sliding them all the way down your hair... and well I have a much shorter section of hair in the back :p

meteor
June 25th, 2014, 07:21 PM
lol :lol: I wonder if yoghurt is any good for hair? :)
Kind of! It's well known in India as a deep conditioner. It's mildly acidic. The lactic acid is good for shine and smoothing down the cuticle.

Lyv
June 25th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Tried the method of cutting the little clear hair ties instead of sliding them all the way down your hair... and well I have a much shorter section of hair in the back :p

When I use those I put olive oil on them and they snap on their own!

When my hair was longer one of my friends cats would "stalk" and try to get his claws into my hair. He was young then and I was the first person with long hair he had ever been around lol.

christiansummer
June 25th, 2014, 08:17 PM
My little brother stuck a flaming marshmallow in my hair on a camping trip when we were kids and burnt a small chunk out of the back.

MandyBeth
June 25th, 2014, 08:20 PM
On the fence, loose. At Rammstein.

Meh, was absolutely worth every little bit of heat damage.

Fericera
June 25th, 2014, 08:38 PM
I lost my bangs to a Bunsen burner in science class once... Yikes

Was your face okay? That sounds pretty intense.

Fericera
June 25th, 2014, 08:43 PM
When I use those I put olive oil on them and they snap on their own!

When my hair was longer one of my friends cats would "stalk" and try to get his claws into my hair. He was young then and I was the first person with long hair he had ever been around lol.

When I first read this I thought it said "your friend" and I was wondering what a friend would be doing with claws and stalking you. :D

Back when I lived at home, our 20 pound cat would sleep on my pony tail that I'd throw back over the pillow. I couldn't move my head at all and he'd knead his paws in it and tangle it all up. It was cute, but annoying at the same time.

Larki
June 25th, 2014, 08:57 PM
One of my cats has claimed the ironing board behind the couch as her throne, and when I'm sitting on the couch and flip my hair over the back of the couch, sometimes she'll try to play with it. :p That's the only time she ever shows interest in my hair. None of the other cats could care less.

LauraLongLocks
June 25th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Last summer I had my hair down and it got caught in fly tape. Yuck! I had to rip it out of my hair, frazzling and destroying quite a bit of hair. I am surprised my hair is doing as well as it is after that and that I didn't have to immediately cut it to shoulder length.

Recently, I was trimming up a set of clip-in bangs and my own bangs accidentally got into it and got trimmed. I was growing them out.

Nadine <3
June 25th, 2014, 09:07 PM
I've had my braid grabbed and ranked on by our 4 month old puppy and my kitten like batting at and nesting in my hair...cute until she starts just eating it.

Wildcat Diva
June 25th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Got trapped Christmas Story style, stuck to the inside of the freezer door as a soaking wet strand of hair flopped against the inside of the freezer and stuck when I was getting food out.

Luckily my kid was around. I hollered at him to bring me a cup of water- fast! So he brings me an empty cup (what the heck!?!). Try again... Exactly what I said this time, ok!? And...finally he brought me a cup of water to pour over it and I could get away without ripping any hairs off.

jacqueline101
June 25th, 2014, 09:48 PM
My hair disaster was the last perm I had I had frizzy hair that looked like the witch from the wizard of oz.

JadedByEntropy
June 25th, 2014, 10:15 PM
:o your avatar MandyBeth is so cool

I thought yoghurt was good for hair too? Though i try not to use it. ;)

The only thing that was nearly impossible to get out of my hair was clay-mud from the Warrior Dash. Its local earth that is not only water resistant and refuses to rinse away but also sticky and compounds upon itself the longer you're exposed to it. It took about three full out shampoos to find and remove the caked mud...and it was mostly on the 'outside' of my hair.
http://s26.postimg.org/5p0979609/965366_10151954038657067_198023030_o.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
adult image (http://postimage.org/)

coconutinsight
June 26th, 2014, 07:52 AM
I got my hair stuck in the back of the blowdryer (the ones that dont have the good protection in the back if this makes sense) and had to cut a lot of it. I have had someone put chewing gum on my hair which was not easy or pleaseant to take out and I once burned my hair accidently trying to light a cigarette when it was very windy. :headache:

queenovnight
June 26th, 2014, 08:03 AM
I also had a blow-drier scare. When I was about 11, I had no idea how to use a blow-drier and well.. I put the blow-drier directly against my hair, and yep.. My hair caught fire. Actually caught on fire. Flames, smoke and all xD For about 5 years, I refused to let anyone near me with a blow-drier.. or as I called it 'flamethrower.'

Jennwith4
June 26th, 2014, 08:17 AM

I think I've seen a recipe for a hair mask with yogurt!

Yes it is good for I hair I use a yogurt mask quite frequently. :D

LauraLongLocks
June 26th, 2014, 08:35 AM
I also had my hair get sucked in through the back of the blowdryer. Lost about 3-4" on a few strands, but was able to keep the rest, thank goodness.

dancingpoet
June 26th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Ahh... the blowtorch... So, my sister decided that she wanted to blow dry my hair, and I let her. The electricity in that room isn't so good, and it was attached to an extension cord, and it basically threw a fireball at my head. Amazingly, nothing adverse happened to my hair (thank God!) but it was really scary.

Another time, my hair was wet, and my then kitten was playing with my hair. I thought she was just tangling it, and then I realized that the nest of my hair that she had was not attached to my head. Another time, with wet hair, again, she just bit a chunk right off. Like scissors. Needless to say, Fifi is not allowed to play with my hair anymore.

Anje
June 26th, 2014, 09:10 AM
I got my hair stuck in the back of the blowdryer (the ones that dont have the good protection in the back if this makes sense) and had to cut a lot of it.
Yep, I've done that. My family probably still has the old one that looks like a pipe with a handle and a screen on one end. If you got hair stuck to that end, it was FRIED!

Kaelee
June 26th, 2014, 11:18 AM
I also had a blow-drier scare. When I was about 11, I had no idea how to use a blow-drier and well.. I put the blow-drier directly against my hair, and yep.. My hair caught fire. Actually caught on fire. Flames, smoke and all xD For about 5 years, I refused to let anyone near me with a blow-drier.. or as I called it 'flamethrower.'

Ahh... the blowtorch... So, my sister decided that she wanted to blow dry my hair, and I let her. The electricity in that room isn't so good, and it was attached to an extension cord, and it basically threw a fireball at my head. Amazingly, nothing adverse happened to my hair (thank God!) but it was really scary.

Another time, my hair was wet, and my then kitten was playing with my hair. I thought she was just tangling it, and then I realized that the nest of my hair that she had was not attached to my head. Another time, with wet hair, again, she just bit a chunk right off. Like scissors. Needless to say, Fifi is not allowed to play with my hair anymore.

:bigeyes: As if I needed another reason not to own or use a blowdryer!!! *backs away slowly*

PinkyCat
June 26th, 2014, 11:36 AM
When I was a teenager, it was 80s big hair time. And I smoked then. So when I needed to light a cigarette & didn't have a lighter, I would turn on a burner of the gas stove and stick my face in there sideways to light the cigarette. I think you know where this is going.

Even dry Hairspray in gigantic towering bangs is highly flammable - but make a pretty blue flash! Thank goodness it was only the bangs and not my entire humongous hair-metal, um, sculpture!

höpönasu
June 26th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Yes, the blowdryer disaster. It wasn't long ago when that happened to me. It was only few hairs but it was painful as it yanked my scalp. Ouchie!
Not a hair disaster but... My friend was using hair crimper on my hair and I did her then. We were like 10-year-old then. She did burn my scalp and other ear pretty bad.

I was 10-ish or so and I had a bang crisis. I wanted them to be as long as the rest of my hair. So I thought if I cut them they will just magically disappear. Nope, I had a stubble on my forehead for several, several months. I was so, so embarrassed. Mom used to bring that up sometimes, I hated it. How could I know what would happen, I was a little girl. Lesson learned there.

Johannah
June 26th, 2014, 12:11 PM
When I was 10, my mom was blow drying my hair after swimming and all of a sudden, the blow dryer exploded. It just... exploded. My mom's hand was a bit burned (not a lot, thank goodness) and as a BIG miracle nothing happened to my hair. I'm still shocked.

ExpectoPatronum
June 26th, 2014, 12:26 PM
It wasn't really a disaster but I dip dyed my ends with koolaid and it NEVER went away. Over a year later and it was still just as red as when I had first done it.

Needless to say, I don't drink koolaid anymore. I don't even want to think about what color it would change my stomach!

Anje
June 26th, 2014, 12:26 PM
My hair has been relatively disaster free. However...

When he was a wiggly 5 years old, my husband got his hair cut by his father. He also lost a decent chunk of ear! To this day, you can see that he's got a flat section of helix where the inward-curving section was snipped clean off.

ooglipoo
June 26th, 2014, 12:27 PM
I turned on the electric stove's burner, filled a pot with water, and then put the pot on the burner, catching my braid between the two. Turned to cut some veg and didn't realize my hair was pinned... until I smelled it. Uck.

LauraLongLocks
June 27th, 2014, 08:03 AM
All these stories are making me NEVER want to let my hair down again! Ha ha!

Dreams_in_Pink
June 27th, 2014, 08:32 AM
No accidents for me so far, but i do have some disasters to share:

- Henna paste with lemon juice: It almost killed my scalp. I suffered severe dandruff for 6 months straight.
- Giving myself a bob...It turned out asymmetrical, had to have it cut more than necessary.
- Highlights with box kit. Luckily i only bleached a small section of top of my head. It didn't fall out or something, but it just made me 20 years older. YUCK!
- Dyeing lighter ends with "dark brown". Apparently, what they call "dark brown" is actually the deepest ebony shade man has invented. I walked around with reverse-ombre hair for like 3 months.

Lyv
June 27th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Oh I've done the blow dryer thing too, luckily only a few strands so it wasn't really a disaster for me.

I think the worst thing that has even happened is when I was in 7th grade we were making snowflakes and a boy was "pretending" to cut my hair even though I told him to stop and like 2 seconds later he cut a chunk about 3 inches wide on the top of my head down to probably 2 inches long, I went and bawled my eyes out in the bathroom and ended up cutting my hair from BSL to chin because it was so obvious.

Kaelee
June 27th, 2014, 10:10 AM
My hair has been relatively disaster free. However...

When he was a wiggly 5 years old, my husband got his hair cut by his father. He also lost a decent chunk of ear! To this day, you can see that he's got a flat section of helix where the inward-curving section was snipped clean off.

That exact same thing happened to my cousin, except it was a barber that did it!!! You can still see the scar where they had to sew the top of his ear back on. :bigeyes:

All these stories are making me NEVER want to let my hair down again! Ha ha!

Me too. :bigeyes: (my hair is never, ever down when cooking. Ever. Even if its' wet and heavy, up it goes.)

Loviatar
June 27th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Was your face okay? That sounds pretty intense.

Oh yes. It was more like:

*light burner* *fooom*
YIKES *jump back and wonder why the class is laughing*
*sniff*
Oh, burnt hair... :(

But I was totally fine :)

cathair
June 27th, 2014, 11:34 AM
I'd forgotten how scary Bunsen burners and the backs of hairdriers could be, it's been a while since I've used either. I've done both of those things too :) Fly tape sounds really annoying, I hate getting my hair stuck on sellotape. Getting hair stuck to the freezer just sounds horrific! I'm glad you had some help on hand Wildcat Diva. I'd be totally screwed if that happened to me lol.

Clay mud from a Warrior Dash looks like the most fun accident so far JadedByEntropy. What exactly does that involve? Was there a second picture? When I click on the link it just takes me to the front page of postimage.org. Curiosity is getting the best of cathair :)

The think the scariest accident has to be between dancingpoet's hair dyer fireball, Johannah exploding hair dryer and Anje's husband ear being cut! All terrifying!

All the hair dryer incidents have reminded me of something, not quite a hair accident but definably a hair dryer accident. I was drying the ends of my hair with a hair dryer and it was so hot, my dressing gown caught fire while I was wearing it! Amazingly my hair didn't catch fire, but that thing can't have been any good for it. These are the holes it made:

http://s28.postimg.org/j39w7yxzx/P1100965.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4k2r6k4ux/full/)

I think this was when I actually stopped using a hair dryer. I kept the dressing gown because the cat loves to sleep on it.

Kaelee
June 27th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I'd forgotten how scary Bunsen burners and the backs of hairdriers could be, it's been a while since I've used either. I've done both of those things too :) Fly tape sounds really annoying, I hate getting my hair stuck on sellotape. Getting hair stuck to the freezer just sounds horrific! I'm glad you had some help on hand Wildcat Diva. I'd be totally screwed if that happened to me lol.

Clay mud from a Warrior Dash looks like the most fun accident so far JadedByEntropy. What exactly does that involve? Was there a second picture? When I click on the link it just takes me to the front page of postimage.org. Curiosity is getting the best of cathair :)

The think the scariest accident has to be between dancingpoet's hair dyer fireball, Johannah exploding hair dryer and Anje's husband ear being cut! All terrifying!

All the hair dryer incidents have reminded me of something, not quite a hair accident but definably a hair dryer accident. I was drying the ends of my hair with a hair dryer and it was so hot, my dressing gown caught fire while I was wearing it! Amazingly my hair didn't catch fire, but that thing can't have been any good for it. These are the holes it made:

http://s28.postimg.org/j39w7yxzx/P1100965.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4k2r6k4ux/full/)

I think this was when I actually stopped using a hair dryer. I kept the dressing gown because the cat loves to sleep on it.

CRIKEY!!!! I had no idea they could get that hot. That's incredibly scary!

cathair
June 27th, 2014, 11:41 AM
It is isn't it? It might have not burned/melted if it wasn't made of polyester and made or something like cotton instead, but even so!

Wildcat Diva
June 27th, 2014, 12:05 PM
... Getting hair stuck to the freezer just sounds horrific! I'm glad you had some help on hand Wildcat Diva. I'd be totally screwed if that happened to me.

In retrospect, I suppose I could have accessed some sort of liquid from the fridge part. I could still reach that.

Cania
June 27th, 2014, 12:08 PM
My hair got sucked into a fan once. Luckily my hair is impossibly stubborn, wrapped itself around the mechanism and broke the motor. I consider survival a gift and am eternally watchful for spinning blades in my future. Even non spinning ones, you never do know..

cathair
June 27th, 2014, 12:09 PM
That's a good idea :) *tried to commit that to memory* I wonder if that happened to me, if I would have thought about that before I panicked and ripped my hair off the freezer.

cathair
June 27th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Cania LMAO! You must have super hair :D

RapunzelKat
June 27th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I've totally done the hair dryer thing too - I thought that happened to everyone at least once! :lol:

When I was in high school, I had a curling brush for my bangs. (Like a combination blow dryer and round brush.) I once tried to use it on the rest of my then-APL ish hair, and my hair ate it. I had to cut it out - I think I lost about half my length in about a two inch section :bigeyes:

Not too long ago, I tried to use one of those "Hot Buns" things, thinking it would be easier than a rolled sock bun. Noooope... I didn't realize how Velcro-y it was until my hair was hopelessly entangled. Well, I wasn't about to cut my classic length hair to collarbone length over that thing, so I cut it into pieces small enough to ease out of my hair, then spent over three hours and ridiculous amounts of MO and EVO to get my hair un-matted.

End result? Only had to snip about three hairs, close to the bottom :rockerdud
Lesson definitely learned - stick to the LHC style hair toys!!

MandyBeth
June 27th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Avatar kitty likes to chew on my sister's hair. But neither of them find that a problem.

meteor
June 27th, 2014, 04:41 PM
My hair got sucked into the back of a blow-dryer almost every single time I used it, because I was watching TV and not paying attention to what I was doing. That hurts the scalp, since it pulls out hair and creates a nasty burnt hair smell. Now I simply don't use blow-dryers anymore. It's so liberating (and safe!) not to use any heat tools. :)

Also, those round brushes are death to my hair. I got it stuck in my hair really badly as soon as I tried using it, and it took me a couple hours of detangling in panic to get that brush finally out. Needless to say, I don't even own a brush anymore! Wide-tooth combs all the way! :rockerdud