PDA

View Full Version : Mamacat?

UP Lisa
September 18th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Does anybody know whatever happened to Mamacat?

dorothea-brooke
September 18th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Does anybody know whatever happened to Mamacat?

No, but I wish she would make hairsticks again! I have a serious hankering for one of those lovely fantops. :crush:

ElenTikvah
March 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM
sorry for resurrecting an older thread...but can anyone compare the mamacat sticks and the WoodbyC spiral sticks?

By sight, they seem quite similar. I never had the privilege to wear Mamacat's, but I'm looking for something like them...

TIA!

~Tik

UP Lisa
March 1st, 2009, 11:20 AM
I didn't even know about they WoodbyC sticks. Where can I see them?

ElenTikvah
March 1st, 2009, 11:23 AM
Hair Spirals (http://www.woodbyc.com/other_goodies1.htm#HAIR%20SPIRAL)

OhioLisa
March 1st, 2009, 11:56 AM
WoodbyC's are thinner, and to me, not as high quality. :twocents:

Cinnamon Hair
March 1st, 2009, 02:07 PM
OL is right, but they are still very nice. If you can get your hands on a Woodbyc spiral stick or a GrayDog spiral, do it! Woodbyc spirals sometimes are not evenly spiraled (is that the word?) --one section of the stick will be looser or tighter than others. You can tell there is a handmade factor. Mamacats were always perfection and she was able to make the spirals so incredibly thin yet sturdy. Graydog spirals have more of a spiral staircase look, meaning the stick itself is round, just hollowed out in places to create the spiral effect.

ElenTikvah
March 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Thank you so much for the descriptions of the various spiral sticks!

~Tik

AmandaPanda
March 1st, 2009, 05:03 PM
What about MonktheMonk's spirals? His look similar to Mamacats

OhioLisa
March 1st, 2009, 06:25 PM

Monk is amazing. Seriously, he is a true artist. His craftsmanship is superb. His spirals are no exception.

Cinnamon Hair
March 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM

Thanks for pointing out MTM. Yes his spirals are nice, and bonus, he will make pairs! I have 4 pairs from him and all are slightly different. The dymondwoods he made for me are skinnier than MamaCats. One had very tight spirals in the staircase sort of look I mentioned with Graydogs, but thinner. Another is thin with large lazy spirals, then I have one that is almost exactly like Mamacats but still not quite the same sturdiness. The ebony set I have of his is thicker but the spirals are still skinny. It is hard to predict what sort of spiral you will get from him.

This is harder to explain than I thought. I'll come back later and post a group shot with a spiral stick from all four makers (Mamacat, Monk, Woodbyc, and Graydog).

ElenTikvah
March 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM
Oh, that sounds wonderful...thanks again!

~Tik

Cinnamon Hair
March 3rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
http://classiclength1.googlepages.com/spiralstickcollection030309.jpg
1. Woodbyc
2. Mamacat ribbon spiral
3. Graydog (my name for it) staircase spiral
4. Graydog non-staircase spiral
5. Woodbyc
6. Mamacat ribbon spiral
7. Monkthemonk tight spiral
8. Monkthemonk loose spiral
9. Monkthemonk
10. Monkthemonk (my name for it) unicorn spiral on gabon ebony wood
11. Mamacat ribbon spiral
12. Mamacat corkscrew spiral
13. Ketylo

You'll notice that the Mamacat ribbon spiral is a very flat wide sturdy spiral. None of the other vendors' sticks are as strong while being so thinly spiraled. The Woodbyc comes close because it is a fat spiral which gives strength, but not the amazing thin/flat look of a Mamacat. The tapestry color (rainbow) Monkthemonk stick #9 is very similar to the Mamacat but Monk's is still thinner and not as strong as the Mamacat.

OhioLisa
March 3rd, 2009, 03:55 PM
Nice collection, Cinnamon Hair. Very helpful pic indeed! :)

ETA: Strangely, your mamacat corkscrew spiral looks nothing like mine. Hmmm.

Cinnamon Hair
March 3rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
It could be that my Mamacat corkscrew is an older model. I purchase two sets in her very first auctions on ebay. I know it was before the second LHC order she did for us, but not sure if it was before the first LHC order. I do have a newer one from the last auctions she did on ebay but it is in acrylic/molded plastic and is a much thinner stick. Now I'm curious to see what your corkscrew looks like OL!

ETA: I checked my ebay link for her and that corkscrew was purchased Aug. 19 04. It looks like I was her first stick buyer. Here's the link. (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=mamacatwc&iid=-1&de=off&items=200&page=2)

OhioLisa
March 3rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
It could be that my Mamacat corkscrew is an older model. I purchase two sets in her very first auctions on ebay. I know it was before the second LHC order she did for us, but not sure if it was before the first LHC order. I do have a newer one from the last auctions she did on ebay but it is in acrylic/molded plastic and is a much thinner stick. Now I'm curious to see what your corkscrew looks like OL!

ETA: I checked my ebay link for her and that corkscrew was purchased Aug. 19 04. It looks like I was her first stick buyer. Here's the link. (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=mamacatwc&iid=-1&de=off&items=200&page=2) I am feline_enchantment. :)

Here ya go! :)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k24/ohiolisa06/Accessories/Mamacat.jpg

They look a little more... rounded, I guess? And tighter spirals. Or am I seeing things? :p

Cinnamon Hair
March 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
I see what you mean. The spirals on your stick are more defined than on mine.

OhioLisa
March 3rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
Ok, I didn't know if it was just my eyes messing with me or not. :p

I really love the spirals. Sadly, I am soon to part with them. Sigh. :(

ElenTikvah
March 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
Cinnamon Hair, thank you so much for that wonderful group pic of the different spirals...it REALLY helped me see the difference!

~Tik

UP Lisa
March 4th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I have some that look like the ones OhioLisa has.

physicschick
March 4th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Cinnamon Hair, thanks for posting pictures of your spirals. I've been wanting a thread comparing the different spirals for a while now, but I never got around to starting one. :lol: That's a beautiful collection, and I now understand the uniqueness of the Mamacat spirals.

Another difference to notice is the direction of the spiral. For me, Ketylo, WoodbyC and Mamacat spiral "forwards" and MtM and Graydog spiral "backwards".

I have the same blonde WoodbyC stick as Cinnamon Hair's #1. Even if it's not a Mamacat, it looks yummy (like a pretzel twist :drool: ) and is a joy to use. It has a small defect that looks like it should snag hair, but since it actually doesn't, I never followed up with her on getting it repaired/replaced.

I didn't realize there was so much variability in MtM's spirals. I ordered an ebony and a dymondwood one at the same time, and both were the unicorn spiral like CH's ebony stick. It's not as nice going in as my WoodbyC one, and the backwards spiral is annoying. However, the ebony is stunningly beautiful.

Mamacat
March 12th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Hi Everybody :poot: Wow! I was suprised to pop in and see that I'm still remembered. Thing look alot different than the last time I was here. It'll take me a while to find my way around :) As for what happened to me, life got in the way. I had a rough time emotionally the last couple of years, things at home were not good, and I decided last year to get a divorce. Not an easy choice but the right one for me. Now I'm happier than I can remember being in a loooong time and life is wonderful! And, yes, in the near future I'll be making hair sticks again :)

icydove
March 12th, 2009, 04:19 PM
WOW!!! Mamacat!!! I'm so sorry to hear about the divorce, but I'm so glad you are back :)

Delila
March 12th, 2009, 05:45 PM
... And, yes, in the near future I'll be making hair sticks again :)

Yay! :cheese::cheese:

My ribbon spirals are some of my favorites, ever, but I've got much longer hair now, and would love to have another pair (or two). :)

Don't stay away so long, you've been missed!

OhioLisa
March 12th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Wow! Yay! Glad things are better than ever for you. :)

Arctic_Mama
March 13th, 2009, 02:38 AM
So sorry to hear you've hit a rough patch, life does have its' seasons, but I am thrilled to hear you'll be making toys again!

rymorg2
March 13th, 2009, 04:06 AM
YAY MAMACAT! Sorry to hear about the divorce but SO Glad you'll be working in woods again!!!! :D

Loviatar
March 13th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Ah the elusive Mamacat! I am sorry life got on top of you somewhat but it is lovely to know you are still around and may make more sticks in future. I got my first pair of your sticks second hand this month and they are amazing :D

UP Lisa
March 13th, 2009, 06:12 AM
So happy to have you back! I have only one pair of your sticks. I think they are one of the first ones you sold. Sure would like to have more!

So glad life is better for you now.

Lisa

curls2grow
March 13th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Hi Mamacat! It's so great to see you pop in here! :)
Sorry to hear about the rough times you've had. Looking forward to seeing your beautiful work again when you are feeling up to it.

justpuggy
March 14th, 2009, 07:41 PM
sorry about all that has been going on - I am glad you will be back in business again soon. I only have one fork and I treasure it!

aries
March 16th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I am so glad you will be making sticks again. I have been waiting a very long time to get some hairsticks from you. I gave up trying to get them for so long. Yipeee!!!!

Pixna
March 17th, 2009, 08:26 AM
YOU'VE RETURNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :joy: Welcome back, Mamacat! It is WONDERFUL to see you again!!!!! :heart:

Dvips
March 21st, 2009, 07:48 PM
{{Mamacat}} So good to "see" you back!

I hope life is on an upturn, even while you deal with the difficulties of a divorce.

:flowers:

Carolyn
March 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Welcome back, Mamacat! I'm sorry to hear you've had a difficult time of it recently. I hope things are better now and will continue to get better. I'm so glad to hear you will be making sticks again. I have one pair and love them.

snowbear
March 21st, 2009, 11:59 PM
Welcome back, Mamacat! Sorry about your troubles, but I'm glad you're back. :)

kwaniesiam
March 22nd, 2009, 03:15 AM
Welcome back Mamacat! I'm sorry you've had a difficult time recently but am glad to hear things are looking up again :flowers: Hopefully we'll see you around the boards more and some more of your beautiful work :)

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2009, 05:33 AM
Oh, that is some wonderful news! :)

Heavenly Locks
March 22nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Hello Mamacat! :) I am new, so, nice to meet you. I've been loving your work and was sad that I couldn't find any pieces made by you for sale any more. I am looking forward to seeing some more in the future and adding something to my collection.

Forlorn Reverie
May 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Oh hey, look at this!

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/mamacatwc_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Kleis
May 5th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Umm. Does this mean you'll finally finish my order? :D I've been waiting reallllly patiently.

Sorry to hear things were rough for a while. Here's to a new start! :toast:

UP Lisa
May 6th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Glad to see her back!

levelek
May 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Oh wow, what a surprise! I don't have any Mamacat sticks but I have loved the way they look for a long time!

I am sorry too to hear about the difficulties you were going through.