PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take your hair to get soaking wet?

Larki
June 24th, 2014, 09:52 PM
I've never tested the poroisty of my hair, but in the shower my hair needs like an entire minute to get soaked, and my shower has great water pressure. Is this normal, or could it mean that maybe my hair is on the lower side of porosity?

Darkhorse1
June 24th, 2014, 10:56 PM
It's low porisity. I'm the same way. My hair has always taken a ton of time to soak in water. But it also takes less time to dry--probably because it's not soaking in the water. Not sure if it's any status on the health of our hair, just how it absorbs water. :D

momschicklets
June 25th, 2014, 07:33 AM
I've noticed mine takes a bit to get soaking wet...like it doesn't want to absorb the water. I have no idea what it means, but I've always assumed it was because my hair is fairly thick and the individual strands are large (ish).

Anje
June 25th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Yeah, it takes maybe 2 minutes for me to get my hair actually fully wet in the shower, and my hair's not thick by any stretch. Somewhat less time if I jump in a lake. :)

On the other hand, it's usually about 90% dry within an hour of washing. I can't imagine it being wet for hours like some people report.

meteor
June 25th, 2014, 11:21 AM
I've noticed mine takes a bit to get soaking wet...like it doesn't want to absorb the water. I have no idea what it means, but I've always assumed it was because my hair is fairly thick and the individual strands are large (ish).

I assume the same: it's probably about the sheer mass of hair. I think it takes somewhat longer to get it soaking wet when the hair is longer. Also, when my hair is covered with oil, it takes longer too, as if the water is sitting on top of the oil film instead of penetrating hair immediately.

StellaKatherine
June 25th, 2014, 11:44 AM
I assume the same: it's probably about the sheer mass of hair. I think it takes somewhat longer to get it soaking wet when the hair is longer. Also, when my hair is covered with oil, it takes longer too, as if the water is sitting on top of the oil film instead of penetrating hair immediately.

My is the opposite, since I started coconut oil my hair, my hair gets wet so fast, like in seconds !!!!! But then again my hair never had much difficulty in going wet even normally :) Never measured the time, I might measure next time I wash :)

hollygraham43
June 25th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Mine takes a couple minutes to get wet all the way through, but I will have to time it exactly when I wash in the next couple days.

jacqueline101
June 25th, 2014, 02:18 PM
It takes mine a few minutes I'd say two or three minutes to get soaked. My hair does like to soak water.

Anje
June 25th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Curious -- for those whose hair takes a while to wet down and dries fairly quickly, how does your hair react to protein? Mine despises it, even though fine hair supposedly often does well with a bit of protein in the conditioner. I'd love to know if there was any predictive value in this.

Larki
June 25th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Curious -- for those whose hair takes a while to wet down and dries fairly quickly, how does your hair react to protein? Mine despises it, even though fine hair supposedly often does well with a bit of protein in the conditioner. I'd love to know if there was any predictive value in this.

Hm, mine takes a while to get wet and dries in just over an hour. As far as I know the only products I've used with protein are the L'Oreal Total Repair 5 line, which my hair loved. I used it for nine months and it contains hydroxypropyltrimonium hydrolyzed wheat protein, whatever that is. :p It's near the bottom of ingredient list on all three products I used. I've since switched to Wen, which contains hydrolyzed rice protein, and am not 100% sold on it, but I think that's just a mental block thing to the idea of not using shampoo. I can't quite wrap my head around co-washing. :p

neko_kawaii
June 25th, 2014, 04:38 PM

I do a gelatin mask 2-3 times a year and my hair seems to like that. I was wondering about condish with protein but not enough to research an inexpensive one when my routine seems to work well.

If I just stand under the shower the water runs right off my hair. If I take the nozzle and spray it directly on my hair it gets wet faster. Dunking it in standing water is by far the fastest but applying diluted conditioner to dry hair is the most efficient use of water and then rinses out very quickly.

two_wheels
June 25th, 2014, 04:46 PM
This is something I'd never thought about before- I just get in the shower and boom, soaking wet. I didn't realise other people actually had to wait!

It takes hours to dry, too :violin:

YamaMaya
June 25th, 2014, 04:55 PM
My hair is soaked in about a minute, and takes hours to dry. Of course, I put lots of leave in and oils to seal moisture in so that may have something to do with it. However, my ends tend to get dry very easily. I'm starting to think I've got highly porous hair :(

Beborani
June 25th, 2014, 05:15 PM
I cowash so I don't wait to get my hair soaking wet--I don't like that feeling and prevent it by preoiling and then immediately slathering the conditioner on as soon as it is wet enough. By the time oil washes off the conditioner has deposited whatever it needs to deposit so I 'feel' I am protecting my hair throughout the wash process. I hasten the process of drying with a dryer or fan (in summer) as I find wet hair uncomfortable.

TrapperCreekD
June 25th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Probably about a minute or so, I haven't really paid attention. What kind of drying conditions are we talking about? If I sit out in the sun, my hair will dry in an hour; however, rainy days or winter it takes two or three unless I sit near a heat source.

jacqueline101
June 25th, 2014, 10:02 PM

Mine takes a while to get soaked why I don't know. My hair is thick but not too thick. It takes a while to dry an hour or hour half. I use cholesterol treatment weekly followed by deep conditioner. My hair seems to like this routine. I use daily oil misting and conditioner water diluted on my scalp every other day. I forgot to mention I use shampoo and conditioner on my hair too once a week washer.

JadedByEntropy
June 25th, 2014, 10:30 PM
this is great that there are others to suffer with xD mine takes a few minutes to get wet in the shower. In the pool i have to put my hair up, but its been dry underneath [ like completely not even damp] after a good 30 minute swim + underwater at least half that time.

It also takes forever to dry though. I'm like my Jack Russell..impossible to wash impossible to dry.

But most of my ends are dyed, so maybe when the damage grows out i can at least enjoy not having to reserve a day for waiting on it to dry out. i can already tell that the roots dry faster.

Ishje
June 25th, 2014, 11:42 PM
I never even realized this could differ from person to person.
My hair gets completely wet in about 20 seconds, when it was classic length about 45 seconds.
For drying, it depends on the weather, right now the weather is hot and dry so it dries within the hour, in the winter it can take up to one and a half hours.
When it was still classic length, it could take between 3 and 6 hours (depending on the weather).

Sarahlabyrinth
June 25th, 2014, 11:49 PM
I just washed mine and it probably took a good minute to get it soaked - had to lift it up at the nape and floof it a bit to help the water get in there. It takes several hours to dry naturally.

I have no idea whether this means that my hair is porous or non-porous, or whether it is good or not.....

AspenSong
June 26th, 2014, 12:01 AM
Mine gets soaked in seconds. Probably under 20. And unless it's bunned, it dries fairly quickly as well I guess. I don't leave it down to dry 100% too often so I guess I haven't noticed that as much.

Mainesongbird
June 26th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Mine is the opposite. Mine gets fully wet in like 30 seconds, but takes forever to dry. Took a shower last night at 7pm, still damp at 10am the next day.

lapushka
June 26th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Mine is the opposite. Mine gets fully wet in like 30 seconds, but takes forever to dry. Took a shower last night at 7pm, still damp at 10am the next day.

Same here, about 15 to 30 seconds to get wet, a number of hours to dry; that's where the turbie towel and the diffuser come in handy! ;)

sarahthegemini
June 26th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Mine gets fully saturated in about 10 seconds yet takes 3 hours to dry. My hair is thin, fine and relatively short.