PDA

View Full Version : My hair helps me through the rougher times

Breanna
June 24th, 2014, 08:15 PM
I've been dealing with some pretty serious depression for a while now, sometimes even accompanied with feelings of just wanting to give up. It's been pretty on and off over the years but the last few months have been kind of tough for me again and I just realized that my hair is one of the things that has been really helping me. I guess that sounds weird but taking care of it just gives me something to focus on and it makes me feel good, and I think wanting to grow it out has been beneficial to me because it's just good to have a small personal goal like that. I'm not sure what the point of this post is, I've just been sad this week and wanted to share now that I've thought about it. Maybe some of you have experienced or are experiencing the same thing. Anyway, I hope you're all having a really nice day. :blossom:

PamelaViktoria
June 24th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Sorry you're having a rough time:/ But I do have some good news. You're hair looks really great! If it wasn't, it would be a reflection that all you organs, including your brain, was very acidic. But this means that your body still has plenty of energy to grow hair AND repair other problems:) You're on the right road:)

JadedByEntropy
June 24th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Congratulations! It doesn't sound strange at all. I had some serious depression a few years back too, and growing my hair also helped me. :cheese: Small steps to a brighter shinier future, and your hair is long already. It looks like you're almost passing waist soon, that's a fun mark to reach! enjoy!

Fericera
June 24th, 2014, 08:31 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your depression. It's a lonely battle.

Hair really is a great thing to focus on, and that's one of the many reasons I'm growing it out again. I have a habit of chopping or changing my hair around when I get stressed or depressed. I feel like having long hair will be a nice outward sign when I look in the mirror that I'm staying centered and not being impulsive, sort of like an AA chip I guess? Also all the preening and combing and conditioning is very relaxing and good self care I think.

I hope the next few months get better for you and this week of sadness cheers up. :)

skeletonous
June 24th, 2014, 08:32 PM
I feel the same way, it's nice to set small goals and to be able to take pride in something like taking care of yourself to help combat depression (I have depression and anxiety as well). I'm glad that it helps you too! :) I hope you have a nice day as well!

Breanna
June 24th, 2014, 08:44 PM
These replies made me smile, thank you guys. :)
And PamelaViktoria, I like the way you put that, very logical and good to know! Thanks for the reassurance.

proo
June 24th, 2014, 09:49 PM
It's not just hair Breanna,
it's your very personal expression of beauty
and that's a wise thing to focus on when stressed.

Breanna
June 24th, 2014, 09:53 PM
It's not just hair Breanna,
it's your very personal expression of beauty
and that's a wise thing to focus on when stressed.
That's a very good way of looking at it, I love that!

Wildcat Diva
June 24th, 2014, 10:10 PM
I am glad you take a pleasure in your hair and the self care is an expression of your caring about yourself. Branch out with another thing, if you can and keep going. Allow yourself to enjoy each little accomplishment if you can.

Breanna
June 24th, 2014, 10:27 PM
I am glad you take a pleasure in your hair and the self care is an expression of your caring about yourself. Branch out with another thing, if you can and keep going. Allow yourself to enjoy each little accomplishment if you can.

Thank you, I actually do lots of stretching/yoga and some exercising daily and that helps a lot too, I love working on my flexibility and seeing my progress, it's really nice. Actually now that I think about it, it seems like my body feels better than ever but my mind is still kind of "blah".

Crumpet
June 24th, 2014, 10:55 PM

I struggle with depression too and this is excellent advice. I'm in an okay place right now, but doing caring things for myself, such as taking care of my hair, was a good, small and manageable thing I could take control of when everything seemed dark. By slowly taking these positive experiences to less-easy areas, I gradually felt better. I hope it works for you too. And definitely be happy with the 'weird' things that give you pleasure. We completely understand!

Symphony
June 25th, 2014, 09:59 AM
I also have depression, especially in the winter months. I have definitely noticed that the more depressed I am, the more I focus on my hair.

lazuliblue
June 25th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Focusing on growing my hair really helps me to keep my eating disorder under control...I do NOT want to go back to losing half of my hair due to malnutrition! And like you Breanna it definitely lifts my mood when I look after my hair - it's just nice to do something caring and kind for myself that I can clearly see the results of.

chen bao jun
June 25th, 2014, 12:44 PM
I have clinical anxiety and taking care of my hair calms me down. I feel like a cat being stroked, if you know what I mean.

Breanna
June 25th, 2014, 12:51 PM
These are all great and reassuring messages, I love seeing that others understand, and I hope you're all making great progress with any and all issuses you may have, as well as progress with your lovely hair :heartbeat: thank you!

NatNat
June 25th, 2014, 01:53 PM
I agree completely with this, I have been the same way. I recently broke up with my boyfriend of 2 years, and although in some ways I have let myself go a bit (hairy legs haha), I've still been taking very good care of my hair. It is calming and its nice to feel like I'm still in control of something, even if other things are falling apart.

Nadine <3
June 25th, 2014, 02:09 PM
I agree. I have anxiety really bad and if I'm panicking I like to go into the bathroom and do something to care for my hair. Focusing on it has given me an outlet. I used to focus on less healthy things like cutting when it got bad...now I play with different washing techniques and leave ins and oils instead.

Feathered
June 28th, 2014, 07:22 PM
I have clinical anxiety and taking care of my hair calms me down. I feel like a cat being stroked, if you know what I mean.

I also have anxiety disorders and I know exactly what you mean by taking care of your hair calms you down. It's a great distraction. Now, if I could just purr, that'd be great!

Wildcat Diva
June 28th, 2014, 08:39 PM
I agree. I have anxiety really bad and if I'm panicking I like to go into the bathroom and do something to care for my hair. Focusing on it has given me an outlet. I used to focus on less healthy things like cutting when it got bad...now I play with different washing techniques and leave ins and oils instead.
Bolded mine.

This sounds like amazing progress! I am very impressed.