PDA

View Full Version : People being impressed by your lazy styles

Periwinkle
September 18th, 2008, 10:02 AM
An incident today has prompted me to ask if anyone else has funny stories of people being impressed by their hair at its worst.

I French braided this morning, but it fell out, so I put my hair in a scrunchie bun with an elastic. At breaktime, I had to sprint down to the bus pass queue, and that made it fall out, so I redid it in about three seconds flat while getting into the queue.

I got my pass and went up to the form room. I dropped some change on the floor and leant down to pick it up and suddenly, the girl behind me reached over, tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Your bun is perfect! It must have taken you ages!".

Prompted by this hair adoration, a friend of mine (who has the most uncooperative hair ever to grace the face of the earth, I swear) asked me to show her how I put it up like that. So I did, and when I turned round, all my friends were staring at me slack-jawed in amazement :eyebrows:

Maybe I should continue wearing this Very Complicated Style!

CurlyNinja
September 18th, 2008, 10:15 AM
My family is constantly impressed by my lazy styles and never cares about the more intricate or time-consuming ones. My mom made me show her about 8 times once how to do my lazy elastic-bun (that no longer works on my hair because it's too long/heavy) and my sister ended up swiping my Ficcare for a few months because I showed her how to use it for a cinnabun.

Chromis
September 18th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Hehe, I'm having that effect on people today in cat! I'm wearing a false crown braid and people always assume they must take me sooo long. *giggle*

One English braid and a few bobby pins and I'm out the door!

mortiziia
September 18th, 2008, 10:30 AM
It's all about our clumsiness. I for one stare in amazement even at the (allegedly) easiest styles: I've never been able to put my hair in a bun on my own. When I first watched a DIY French twist on youtube in less than two minutes my eyes almost popped out of my sockets.

sahiba
September 18th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Continue wearing it and do give instructions more clearing please. I look forward for new styles a lot.:)

Medvssa
September 18th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I have gotten a few comments on my sloppy 2 seconds bun put up with a watercolor brush, in school :lol:

aprilmay
September 18th, 2008, 11:57 AM
We get quick at putting our hair up! I can get mine into a bun fast and it always looks better if I do it without a mirror.

embee
September 18th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Yes, I had to show my cousin how to do an orchid bun (I think that's what it's called)... She asked how my hair was up, I turned around, and she said, oh, a complex thing.

I rolled my eyes, pulled out the hairstick, turned my back to her and showed her how it went. She was astounded. Bet it took 5 seconds tops.

Hee hee hee! :)

Sam-I-Am
September 18th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Ah yes, me too! This morning I was lazy and made a swirly bun and stuck a homemade hairstick in there, and then the part-timer who sits behind me at work told me that she loved my hair and I remind her of Anne of Green Gables :inlove:

dorothea-brooke
September 18th, 2008, 12:29 PM
:agree: Why do my lazy wraps always get compliments, and never my quintuple-braid with ostrich-feather and scarf cinnabun secured only with the power of my own mind?

It sorta makes one not want to bother with the more complex things.... :)

ClareDee
September 18th, 2008, 12:31 PM
......my quintuple-braid with ostrich-feather and scarf cinnabun secured only with the power of my own mind?
:)

Pics please! :D

Slug Yoga
September 18th, 2008, 12:36 PM
:agree: Why do my lazy wraps always get compliments, and never my quintuple-braid with ostrich-feather and scarf cinnabun secured only with the power of my own mind?

LOL! Forget hairsticks, I'm going to work on hair telekinesis. :meditate:

You gotta love it when people are soooo impressed at your ability to wad your hair into a fakkare, and claim they'd never be able to do the same.

Periwinkle
September 18th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Oh yes, hairsticks...whenever I wear my hair in sticks, people always ask me how on earth I keep it up like that!

sherigayle
September 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I had my hair up using 2 hairsticks at a party last weekend. I don't know how many times I had to take it down and put it back up to show people how it was done. I was shocked that even longhairs had never seen hairsticks used before.

dorothea-brooke
September 18th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Pics please! :D

Hee hee! :p

freznow
September 18th, 2008, 01:55 PM

It sorta makes one not want to bother with the more complex things.... :)

I know!!!! My braided bun got the compliment "Wow, your hair is like a work of art today." But when I wore an arwen braid? Nuhuh not one comment. That just does not compute! The arwen braid was done pretty well and my mom commented on it that morning, and it's more obvious than a bun. I don't get it!!! The simple stuff always gets more comments than the fancy. It just isn't worth it!

dorothea-brooke
September 18th, 2008, 02:04 PM
<snip> The simple stuff always gets more comments than the fancy. It just isn't worth it!

I guess we can just bask in the warm glow of knowing how hard we worked on an updo! :D

As I like to say to my students who complain that some of the reading on the syllabus "isn't on the exam": it's for the good of your soul. :laugh:

(And, of course, we can always post pictures here, where they're appreciated! :silly:)

katybell
September 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Haha :D
Yeah I usually wear my hair in one plain braid down my back, and people are always saying "wow, did you do that yourself??" I think if I couldn't even do something that simple I'd have to give up and chop my hair off...

Periwinkle
September 18th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Haha :D
Yeah I usually wear my hair in one plain braid down my back, and people are always saying "wow, did you do that yourself??" I think if I couldn't even do something that simple I'd have to give up and chop my hair off...

I get that all the time. People are astounded! :rolleyes:

Bucatini
September 18th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I just saw a member here "in real life" this week and was guilty of this same thing. Spouting WOW how pretty about a bun she considered to be an old standby safe/easy style. Braided buns get people though, they can't seem to figure it out.

kwaniesiam
September 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I know!!!! My braided bun got the compliment "Wow, your hair is like a work of art today." But when I wore an arwen braid? Nuhuh not one comment. That just does not compute! The arwen braid was done pretty well and my mom commented on it that morning, and it's more obvious than a bun. I don't get it!!! The simple stuff always gets more comments than the fancy. It just isn't worth it!

Major props to you for being able to do an Arwen braid in the morning before school :bigeyes: Even if I had enough hair and skill, my hands nor the rest of me function that well that early in the morning :silly:

When I wore hairsticks, I'd get people asking me all day how I got it to stay up. After a while I got sick of showing them and said it was like a tiny magic wand for your hair.

dorothea-brooke
September 18th, 2008, 02:50 PM
When I wore hairsticks, I'd get people asking me all day how I got it to stay up. After a while I got sick of showing them and said it was like a tiny magic wand for your hair.

:rollin: Sort of like Slug Yoga's new hair telekinesis? :meditate:

sneakybea
September 18th, 2008, 02:52 PM
For some reason, lately I seem to get compliments when my hair is quite wet. It's not quite the same as a "lazy style," but it seems equally puzzling to me.
On a related note, I always seem to do the most flattering updos when I'm about to clean the tub. You know, I just twist it out of the way, and when I catch a glimpse in the mirror later, it looks really good!

Isilme
September 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM
perhaps we make the buns we are most comfortable with the best and it looks sort of natural on us? Just a thought.

Samikha
September 18th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I never have that, actually, but I don't get so many compliments overall. I am putting this down to the introspective, boring Norwegian nature;) Mind you, the time I wore a crown braid to a movie, my friends just stared and kinda angled their heads a bit to try and...well, I don't know what they were trying to do, but it was something!

I am mostly known as the crazy hairstick lady, so no compliments there >.> I do get alerts if people see anything stick-like in the stores, though :lol:

heidihug
September 18th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I don't often get compliments on my hair, usually only looks or stares. Long hair is very unusual here, especially on someone older than their early 20's. When I wear my hair in a single French braid, though, is when I tend to get the most comments on it. Usually they are about its length, not the style, though. Definitely, the styles that require the most work are the ones which get the least attention.

Paliele
September 18th, 2008, 03:27 PM
What really gets me is when people compliment my hair when it's nasty. For instance, I recently moved to a new apartment where I had hard water for the first time ever. When I washed my hair, it was the nastiest my hair has ever been--it felt like each strand was bushy and super-coarse and almost waxy. Three different people told me how nice my hair looked that day. :shrug: Go figure.

misstwist
September 18th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I think we get compliments on the "just get it out of the way bun" because the current hair trend is for messy, "casual" up-dos.

I think they just look sloppy so I put effort into making something that is well contained and polished when I go out. Don't much care if I don't get compliments on a hair-do, though. It's for me, not them (whoever them is).

Arctic_Mama
September 18th, 2008, 04:12 PM
It's nice to get compliments, but it does always seem to go that the most simple stuff yields the biggest compliments. Maybe it's a hint from the hair fairies?

Eireann
September 18th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I did some sort of modified French twist secured with a crochet hook (I still haven't bought real hair sticks yet) that took me about 5 seconds. My DH said "Your hair looks nice. I like that pencil thing." :)

Elphie
September 18th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Very true! My boss complimented me on a simple half-up inverted pony tail just this week. Actually, anytime I do this, it seems to confuse people.

lookingglass
September 18th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I got several complements on my hair today. One person said it was their "favorite hairdo" on me. I just took some clumps from the side and held them with a small claw (clamped underneith to hide the cheap plastic). Go figure!

renarok
September 18th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Yesterday I was running into target (well, walking fast) and I quickly put my hair into a lazy wrap bun while I was walking from the car. These young girls behind me said oh my gawd! Dude your hair looks like a croissant, cool. How'd you do that? I started laughing because I am so not a dude. Whatever that means, I mean I could be their mom! Any way, I was in such a rush, I just said thanks. I had to get to work asap or I might have given them instructions.:p Compliments from a bun done on the run!!

Xi
September 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM
This is so true! My mother has only ever complimented my hair once. She said, "You should wear your hair like that more often"; I had got distracted halfway through undoing a messy English braid, and was walking around with it half fallen out.:rolleyes:

twilight_faerie
September 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Yesterday I was running into target (well, walking fast) and I quickly put my hair into a lazy wrap bun while I was walking from the car. These young girls behind me said oh my gawd! Dude your hair looks like a croissant, cool. How'd you do that? I started laughing because I am so not a dude. Whatever that means, I mean I could be their mom!

:misskim:

Oh man, I wish I got compliments on my hair from random people. Oh well, maybe when it's longer...and NOT put in a crappy ponytail, the way it always is :p Although, a few weeks ago I was hanging out with my boyfriend in his apartment and I randomly decided to put my hair in a crappy French braid, without using a mirror or a comb. I showed my boyfriend and he was like "Good lord!" (His exact words. He says "good lord" all the time.) He said he expected it to be something more crappy (not his words - I think he actually said something more like "plain" or "usual" or something). I guess I'll take it if it's all I can get :p

trolleypup
September 19th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I regularly get compliments on my usual lazy bun...and on the quickness of putting it up. Usually, someone is curious about the hair, so I pull the stick out and it falls all the way down, then, I put it back up at the next red light (I operate streetcars). Oooh ahh, and all that.

Lady Godiva
September 19th, 2008, 11:42 AM
A few weeks ago at the bank, a very elderly woman stopped me as I was leaving. She was seated, waiting to meet with one of the finance managers. She said that she had been watching me at the teller counter and noticed my hair. She could tell that it was very long and that my style was "perfect." She said she could tell that I really knew what I was doing with my hair because it was so smooth and shiny. I asked her if she'd had long hair at one time, and she affirmed with this wry, knowing smile. We had a great connection, so I told her how long my hair was, and she nodded and smiled some more. I told her how quick it is to make a Log Roll. She kept stating, "It's perfect, just perfect." I thanked her. I hope to be so keen when I'm 80-something. :gabigrin:

More on this super simple style:

This also happened a few weeks ago. A friend of mine lives in a neighboring state. Her family travels across the border for vacation in one of the towns where my husband's band sometimes plays. Her hair is about classic-to-thigh length, and she wears the Log Roll often, like me. Following their return home, she emailed me with excitement that when they were on vacation, traipsing around town, her hair had fallen from her Log Roll at one point, so she had swiftly re-upped it with her Ficcare Maximas. A store clerk had noticed this and asked her about her hair, because she was so impressed, but also had seen the style before. She said that a couple weeks prior, there had been a woman in town with floor-length hair who had worn the same style, and folks had remarked on her hair. In delight, my friend then told the clerk how I was that woman, and I was the one who invented the style. Talk about funky coincidence, all because of a quick updo! :cool:

Tapioca
September 19th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I tend to get the most compliments on the laziest style of all: plain old down.

Tangles
September 19th, 2008, 03:26 PM
For some reason, boys compliment me when I wear my hair in stupid 2-second updos. Straight boys. Yea its bizarre...

Pierre
September 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I consider a pair of Dutch braids a lazy style for me, not because I can do it in five seconds, but because I leave it like that for days. Monday or Tuesday I had gone to school with the braids half done and slept in, then pulled the elastics off and finished the braids. I've kept them like that since. Yesterday I stopped at the grocery store on the way to school, and some woman with 2a hair told me it's pretty. :)

renarok
September 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Trolleypup your hair is so beautiful, I'd ooh and aahh too.

Dolly
September 19th, 2008, 05:51 PM
It's all about our clumsiness. I for one stare in amazement even at the (allegedly) easiest styles: I've never been able to put my hair in a bun on my own. When I first watched a DIY French twist on youtube in less than two minutes my eyes almost popped out of my sockets.

I'm with you on that one.....the best I can manage is a ponytail!!!

Nat242
September 19th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I get sweet comments from some of my girlfriends on fancier buns, but I thought of this thread yesterday when two of my male friends, individually, told me how great my hairstyle was that day, one guy said "fancy", the other said something like, "it's so big, makes your hair look so long, it's really beautiful" :hmm:

It was odd, because this is my lazy style - they must have both seen if a few times before. Maybe it's because I wore my hair down the previous day (which is a very rare occurence), so they were either a) more aware of my hair, or b) trying to hint that it looks better up than down. :shrug:

I was so amazed, I took a picture just to prove to LHC that it not anything "fancy" or beautiful"! :D

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee68/trippywallpaper/Photo62.jpg

dorothea-brooke
September 20th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Looks pretty beautiful to me, Nat! :)

freznow
September 20th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Nat, what kind of bun is that? For a lazy style, it's really nice! :P (Or maybe it's your hair that's really pretty. Or both!)

Periwinkle
September 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I disagree, Nat. That's gorgeous!

Nat242
September 20th, 2008, 04:13 PM
LOL! Thanks, everyone :D It's greasy hair (thus the headband) in a cinnabun! I just don't twist the hair very tightly, and I don't wrap it tightly. Held with a very fancy plastic stick and two bobby pins ;)

ETA: To explain further, the innermost coil is reasonably tight, the middle parts are only loosely twisted, and the very ends aren't really twisted at all.

dorothea-brooke
September 20th, 2008, 04:37 PM
LOL! Thanks, everyone :D It's greasy hair (thus the headband) in a cinnabun!

Ah, yes, the good ol' Secret Updo Ingredient -- hair grease! :D

Gwaihiril
September 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM
So very true! I usually French or Dutch braid my hair, but, as often seems to happen in college, I'll stay up late and wake up just in time to get dressed and dash off to class. I still don't want to wear my hair down, though, so I'll grab a Ficcare for a cinnabun or a hairstick for a figure 8, which are my two default extremely quick hairstyles. They take so little time and effort, but get more compliments than most French braids do!

swanns
September 21st, 2008, 12:05 AM
Seriously, why does your hair always look the best when you just quickly put it up in a scrunchie bun while washing your face or something? Every time I try to re-do a do like that in the morning I just fail miserably, not fair! :p

I remember one time when my hair was fairly shorter than it is now, maybe an inch or two above bsl, when I was writing at my desk at home and my mum walked into the room and said something to me, then she goes "How do you put your hair like that? Did you do something special to it?" And I was only wearing it in a very messy bun held with and elastic! The ends that were sticking out looked like I'd spent ages curling them or something, according to her :D

Solange
September 21st, 2008, 03:21 AM
My laziest hairstyle is probably my Chinese bun, and I do get compliments about it. :O)

Aries_jb
September 21st, 2008, 05:29 PM
I always seem to get compliments on days where I don't think my hair is looking its best. Anytime I wear my hair down and it's messy and frizzy, I have people oooing and ahhhing over it, lol.

The other day I was running late, so I put my hair in a damp, untwisted cinnabun held with claw clips. I just KNEW it didn't look good. Then one of my coworkers patted the bun and said, "So pretty!"

My mom is another one who is amazed at all my updos. I bet if she saw some of the styles the ladies and gents on this site do, she wouldn't think my poor attempts at various buns were so great :)

Molster
September 23rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
Swanns:
Seriously, why does your hair always look the best when you just quickly put it up in a scrunchie bun while washing your face or something?

Ain't that just the truth!

I rarely get comments when my hair is up - simple or complex 'do' notwithstanding. Either people aren't interested or it's a British reserve thing.

I did get someone at work ask me once about my Split Bun and how it worked. It's my standard 'shove it up' style and although it looks complex, it's sooooo simple and quick.

Hair down always gets the most comments, though.

NeilTheFuzz
September 23rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
There has been one time where someone has been impressed with my hair when I've gone out "pre treatment". I was called out by a friend to fix his computer, it was a weekend so I had just gotten up. Normally I brush my hair every morning but I didn't bother - y'know Sunday, lazy day :P When I walked into my mates house his older sister said "WOW Neil, your hair is mega curly- I wish I had your hair.". She had never once said anything to me before about my hair. I thought "What?! I can impress people just by getting up?".

Coool!

Neil

aprilmay
September 23rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
I think up dos look more formal and people have a hard time figuring out how to secure their hair in these styles for some reason. It is like a secret trick that once you learn how to do this you feel it is soooo easy. Continue being kind and sharing the knowledge!:)