PDA

View Full Version : Sulfate free- is this a good plan?

rose313
June 24th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes:

A few months ago I researched sulfate free shampoos and decided to try using them. My main goal was to be able to stretch my washes. I was washing every day and a half or every other day, and my scalp was producing a lot of oil making my hair look dirty and greasy after only a day.

I started using Organix brand shampoos and Suave conditioners with no silicones. The shampoos worked great but I ended up missing the silicones and wishing for them back. I wanted to use my favorite conditioners again. So I decided I would still be sulfate free, but introduce silicones back into my hair routine, and clarify with a regular sulfatey shampoo once a week so I don't get buildup.

Anyway, I have been doing this for a few weeks now, and I'm pretty happy, but I'm wondering if this is something that's okay to do long term, and is it a good plan so far?

Nesoi
June 24th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I think the main thing is to find something that works for you and your hair. If it does, then it's a good plan! ;)

You may want to adjust the frequency of clarifying washes - that would be too frequent for my hair, but as I said, if it works for you then great! Your hair looks lovely in your sig :)

rose313
June 24th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I think the main thing is to find something that works for you and your hair. If it does, then it's a good plan! ;)

You may want to adjust the frequency of clarifying washes - that would be too frequent for my hair, but as I said, if it works for you then great! Your hair looks lovely in your sig :)

Thank you, if I can clarify less frequently, that would be great! I should keep a note of how often I'm clarifying and exactly what I'm using, that way I can look back on what frequency works and what doesn't.

Larki
June 24th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Doesn't Organix actually have cones? I've used it and I'm really sure I saw a cone in the ingredients list.

RavennaNight
June 24th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Doesn't Organix actually have cones? I've used it and I'm really sure I saw a cone in the ingredients list.

The shampoos don't, at least not all of them. I've been using the new coconut water one, diluted, and it has no cones. It's great too, even diluted 50/50 it is still a good lather.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
June 24th, 2014, 07:18 PM
The shampoos don't, at least not all of them. I've been using the new coconut water one, diluted, and it has no cones. It's great too, even diluted 50/50 it is still a good lather.
I've been using the same one! So far, I really like it. :cool:
OP, it sounds like a good plan to me, as long as your hair likes it. :)

Bitstuff
June 25th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Silicones aren't bad; if your hair likes them, you should use them. You could use an SLS-free shampoo on your scalp and one with SLS in your lengths so that you can use a conditioner with cones in the lengths. In this case you wouldn't have to put anything harsh and clarifying on your scalp.