PDA

View Full Version : Using a candle flame to burn split ends thread

loveisdivine
June 24th, 2014, 04:48 AM
So I just stumbled across this new craze of burning away your split ends to keep your hair healthy. Seems a bit extreme to me and definitely not something I would try. Well, I don't think I would :p

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2664089/Could-BURNING-split-ends-better-haircut-FEMAIL-puts-hot-new-Brazilian-trend-test.html

Sarahlabyrinth
June 24th, 2014, 04:55 AM
It's not a new thing though, it was common over a hundred years ago when most women had long hair. I think it was called "singeing" the hair and was supposed to improve the growth and health of the hair.

rohirrrims
June 24th, 2014, 05:10 AM
Yip, the Daily Fail has a thing for jumping on a bandwagon late and trying to make it seem hip and new by posting several terrible articles on the subject (usually badly disguised paid for advertisements by the retailer of the subject), this time they are hundreds of years late!
My mum used to get this done 40 years ago at a salon, but it has always scared me because I hate the smell of burning hair :S

Would sure be interesting to know if anyone here uses this method!

Miss_Green
June 24th, 2014, 05:31 AM
I'm mostly shocked by the price... $200!!!!

PS rohirrims, how did your mum's hair turn out?

longhairedlady
June 24th, 2014, 06:01 AM
I watched the video, Ive never seen anyone trim ends like that. Takes S&D to a whole new level.

Dreams_in_Pink
June 24th, 2014, 06:03 AM
whoa, i just imagined the whole hair catching fire accidentally!! :brainbleach:

monsoonstorm
June 24th, 2014, 06:08 AM
What amazed me with that article when I read it this morning was I actually thought her "after" hair looked awful, whereas she was praising it for being tidier and healthier... It looked thinner and like a bunch of rats tails imo... It made me wonder exactly how much was burned off. She definitely seems to have lost around 3-4 inches judging from the difference in camera angle/head angle. The after shot has her head tilted more backwards and the camera is closer, it looks like she may have gone from around waist-ish to BSL. I wonder how much shorter it will look after her hair is next washed and it no longer has the benefit of the straightened look from the blow dry.

Majorane
June 24th, 2014, 06:23 AM
A friend of mine had this done long long ago and she was very enthusiastic about it. I always wonder, though: Those 'experts' have 'tons of experience'. How many of their clients did they lit on fire when they started out (I mean, if they say it's dangerous to do it when untrained, how did THEY start? hmmm?) And also, how many people actually light themselves like a candle when trying this at home?

I had a classmate in kindergarten that got his hear burned off multiple timesseriously because he liked candles a bit too much and then was half-bald for 3 months or so; he didn't seem to mind, but I still remember his horribly frizzly stubble. I take my splits over that any day of the week. :D

Dreams_in_Pink
June 24th, 2014, 06:37 AM
Thinking about it, i think they can invent a hair tool that cuts hair with fire safely without burning any nearby strands.

rohirrrims
June 24th, 2014, 06:47 AM
I'm mostly shocked by the price... $200!!!!

PS rohirrims, how did your mum's hair turn out?

It was a long time ago she told me about it, but I think it worked well for her, can't remember the details of what she said but I shall ask her and report back here if I can! She used to have thick, shiny dark brown hair, maybe 1b and in the photos from those days it looked good! I think she got it done in a salon in a rough area in Glasgow, totally not fancy and totally not anywhere near that price, omg!

mz_butterfly
June 24th, 2014, 06:49 AM
This is a hair-cutting method for the extreme adventurers out there. I'll stick with scissors.

lapushka
June 24th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Every few months or years this pops up in the media as "a new thing" while it isn't. It's like it's on repeat. :lol:

spidermom
June 24th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Don't like. It's not just burning off split ends - it's burning off ends of perfectly fine shorter, newer hairs as well, any hair that sticks out of the twist. When I've tried S&D this way, I find that the split ends are not the ends that pop out. They're like Velcro and stick to the twist.

woodswanderer
June 24th, 2014, 08:35 AM
I would never let fire get that close to my hair. No thanks!

loveisdivine
June 24th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Well, I'd never heard of it before now. It just seems a bit of a crazy idea. Far too risky I would think.

itdontmatter48
June 24th, 2014, 10:00 AM
I agree with most of you, no fire near my hair. Thank you.

Kaelee
June 24th, 2014, 10:01 AM
What amazed me with that article when I read it this morning was I actually thought her "after" hair looked awful, whereas she was praising it for being tidier and healthier... It looked thinner and like a bunch of rats tails imo... It made me wonder exactly how much was burned off. She definitely seems to have lost around 3-4 inches judging from the difference in camera angle/head angle. The after shot has her head tilted more backwards and the camera is closer, it looks like she may have gone from around waist-ish to BSL. I wonder how much shorter it will look after her hair is next washed and it no longer has the benefit of the straightened look from the blow dry.

I thought the "after" looked like it had been washed and blowdried straight after the procedure. The only difference I see is that it's STRAIGHTER, and I'm sure the singeing did not do that.

I've seen it done, I believe people when they say that it works for them. But I prefer scissors, as they're far less likely to cause my entire head to go up in flames. Call me chicken sh*t. :p

ErinLeigh
June 24th, 2014, 10:19 AM
It is said he did not touch the ends at all so in my opinion the effect is from conditioning and blowdrying. They may have burned a few mid length splits but I assume a lot sticking out was just newer growth.
I really would not be able to form an opinion until I saw how looks all the way down to the ends...and then see final result after client washed and styled by self. For now my only thoughts are too expensive, I hate the smell of burned hair, and that girls hair is crying out for moisture.

Larki
June 24th, 2014, 10:26 AM
I've never understood the "twist your hair and the split ends stick out" method. When I've done that, I come up with zero split ends, just new growth. All my split ends are, you know, my actual ends.

chen bao jun
June 24th, 2014, 10:47 AM
The idea is that the fire is supposed to seal off the end so that it doesn't split further ever, unlike a scissors which can make a ragged cut and later you just have more splits.
Its one of those ideas that sound good in theory that I have no desire to try out.
Over a hundred years ago, your maid would have been practiced at this, I guess. Whatever.

höpönasu
June 24th, 2014, 10:49 AM
I'd love to go to a salon and get a split end only trim, maybe not with fire though. :laugh:

Carolyn
June 24th, 2014, 04:31 PM
I remember this being a fad in the late 60s or early 70s and it wasn't new then. It's been around for ages. The twisting and snipping method does work if you have splits up the length of your hair. I've had it done at Enchantress (GM affiliate salon) in Ohio. It worked great for me but I'm not real keen on trying the candle thing.

cathair
June 24th, 2014, 05:31 PM
I'm sure there was a study kicking around somewhere that said burning was not better than cutting. I can't for the life of me find it or remember where though. Shame cause if you could seal the ends like that it would be brilliant. I remember seeing heated scissors on TV once that were supposed to do the same thing, I don't think they would work either.

meteor
June 24th, 2014, 05:45 PM
I'm sure there was a study kicking around somewhere that said burning was not better than cutting. I can't for the life of me find it or remember where though. Shame cause if you could seal the ends like that it would be brilliant. I remember seeing heated scissors on TV once that were supposed to do the same thing, I don't think they would work either.

I'd love to see a study too!

An alternative would be to look under a microscope at the ends of 2 hair strands: one cut with sharp scissors vs. the other hair that was burnt. I know some LHC-ers have microscopes that they use on their hair, it would be awesome if they could check this.

Allie_snowflake
June 24th, 2014, 05:46 PM
I saw a lady getting her hair burnt when I was a kid. My stylist kept trying to keep me from watching. I do remember how bad it smelled. I definitely would never do that.

cathair
June 24th, 2014, 06:05 PM
I'd love to see a study too!

An alternative would be to look under a microscope at the ends of 2 hair strands: one cut with sharp scissors vs. the other hair that was burnt. I know some LHC-ers have microscopes that they use on their hair, it would be awesome if they could check this.

There are microscope photos of both cut hair and burnt hair on this FBI webpage quite a way down the page:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/2004_01_research01b.htm

I haven't read this all, but there is a study here about burning hair at different temperatures. It talks about hair forming bubbles inside and becoming brittle above certain temperatures:

http://projects.nfstc.org/trace/docs/Trace%20Presentations%20CD-2/Pangerl.pdf

I am sure I read about this somewhere in relation to split ends rather than forensics though :/

kitana97
June 24th, 2014, 06:16 PM
The picture with the candle going down her twist made me cringe. Like spidermom said, wouldn't the candle be burning of newer growth as well?

meteor
June 24th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Wow! Thanks a lot, cathair! That's great stuff!
The research you linked is perfect for understanding heat damage from flat irons and curling irons.
And the FBI link shows that burnt ends don't really look great either.
If the salons use the same technique (and why wouldn't they? after all, fire is fire) then I don't see why anybody would risk burning their manes while pay extra $$$ for this result: :rolleyes:
Photomicrograph of Burned Hair
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/images/fig74.jpg
versus this:
Photomicrograph of Scissor-Cut Hair
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/images/fig71.jpg

cathair
June 24th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I really don't like the look of the burnt hair! I have been sticking my fist in my mouth to try to stop myself making jokes about straighteners sealing hair and therefore being good for it etc :D we all know that isn't true.

Sharysa
June 24th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Don't like. It's not just burning off split ends - it's burning off ends of perfectly fine shorter, newer hairs as well, any hair that sticks out of the twist. When I've tried S&D this way, I find that the split ends are not the ends that pop out. They're like Velcro and stick to the twist.

So weird. My split ends are all around the lower middle of my hair to a few inches above the ends, and they pop out after I give the braids a good shaking.

And yeah, no burning split ends off for me--I accidentally burned a bit of my hair when I was in high school blowing out a candle. I could smell it for a week, but thankfully nobody else noticed. Now that I know burned hair looks like melted wax, EXTRA BIG NO.

ErinLeigh
June 24th, 2014, 10:33 PM
The research you linked is perfect for understanding heat damage from flat irons and curling irons.
If the salons use the same technique (and why wouldn't they? after all, fire is fire) then I don't see why anybody would risk burning their manes while pay extra $$$ for this result: :rolleyes:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/images/fig74.jpg
versus this:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/images/fig71.jpg

that just says it all doesn't it.

MINAKO
June 24th, 2014, 10:33 PM
my aunt used to do this when i was little. i dont think its any good, lol, but i do have an at home ip laser that melts any dark hair or fabric, actually this would still be better than a straight up flame. the clichees of models being stupid kinda applies more often than they like to admit, ahaha

berr
June 24th, 2014, 11:06 PM
I had it done in a salon in the 70's. It really did make my hair more manageable at the time. But at 20 years old and no internet or even good products....anything was an improvement. I used to sit outside and burn off my splits with a hot tip on smoke break.

synchrostatic
June 25th, 2014, 05:42 AM
I loved the line where it says it's on the "verge of being healthy."

All I could think was, "Girl, you need to do a lot more before that hair is anywhere close to being healthy."

BroomHilda
June 25th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Stupidest hair trend ever.

Cania
June 25th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I used to do this accidentally all the time when I smoked. Maybe I should start charging people fir the privilege...

Bitstuff
June 25th, 2014, 08:59 AM
I remember heated scissors being a fad in the nineties. They were used in salons with a claim that they'd seal the ends. I never got my hair cut with those but people who had theirs done said it was good. I doubt it really was better than a cut with regular shears. I can't be sure they still don't do this in some places.

MaryO
June 26th, 2014, 02:13 AM
Oh dear, I'll stick to a safer method. I can just imagine my whole head taking flame!!

queenovnight
June 26th, 2014, 08:19 AM
I've never heard of this before, so thanks for sharing!

I agree with monsoonstorm though! From the photos, it doesn't look any healthier, just thinner. I can't really understand why anyone would want this done. Let alone pay that much for someone to set your hair on fire xD Seems to be taking it a bit too far for my personal likings.

YamaMaya
June 26th, 2014, 10:47 AM
This has bad idea written all over it. Never ever will I even attempt to try this.

Johannah
June 26th, 2014, 12:19 PM
My hairdresser used to do this YEARS ago when she just started because it was a normal thing back then. Yak.

TrapperCreekD
June 26th, 2014, 12:23 PM
versus this:

:scared::tmi: I'll happily just stick with good old fashion sharp scissors.

jacqueline101
June 26th, 2014, 12:36 PM
When I went to the beauty shop three years ago. I had a lady in the next chair wanted hers singed they also did a hot scissors trim.

meliel
June 26th, 2014, 04:35 PM
I'd be much too afraid to singe the ends of my hairs... Frightening.

jacqueline101
June 26th, 2014, 05:32 PM
I'd be much too afraid to singe the ends of my hairs... Frightening.

I agree. When I went to the beauty shop I asked for plain scissor cut.

ARG
June 26th, 2014, 07:39 PM
No thank you! The smell and the brittle feel? Nope, No, uh-uh! If I was stranded on a desert island and didn't have my scissors, I would deal with the splits rather than burn them off.

I had a classmate in kindergarten that got his hear burned off multiple timesseriously because he liked candles a bit too much and then was half-bald for 3 months or so; he didn't seem to mind, but I still remember his horribly frizzly stubble. I take my splits over that any day of the week. :D

^That made me think of Seamus Finnigan from Harry Potter.

Stormynights
June 26th, 2014, 09:08 PM
There was a time long ago when they thought hair was a hollow tube and singeing the ends would seal them up. There are also religions that don't believe in women cutting their hair but they can burn the ends off. I have accidently burned my hair, but never would do it on purpose.

melilot
June 26th, 2014, 10:55 PM
My grandmother often does this to gut her hair! It terrifies me. She even asks me to help her, so scary that I might burn all of her hair off somehow. Would never try this, happy with S&D for now. Was funny to read daily mail's dramatic take on it haha.

cdonald2
June 26th, 2014, 10:56 PM
I'm honestly not all that impressed with it. It looks much better in the before picture.

FireFromWithin
June 27th, 2014, 12:01 AM
I thought the difference was likely to be in the conditioning treatment! Also they did use scissors in the video at one point.

All my ends stick out when I twist, I have to select the splits from amoungst them to chop. I think I'll stick to sharp scissors although I do see how maybe the burning would make the hair less likely to re split since it seems to melt the end together. I'd be scared of more than one strand melting together though and ending up with a burnt mess!

RapunzelKat
June 27th, 2014, 02:58 PM
There are microscope photos of both cut hair and burnt hair on this FBI webpage quite a way down the page:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/2004_01_research01b.htm

I haven't read this all, but there is a study here about burning hair at different temperatures. It talks about hair forming bubbles inside and becoming brittle above certain temperatures:

http://projects.nfstc.org/trace/docs/Trace%20Presentations%20CD-2/Pangerl.pdf

I am sure I read about this somewhere in relation to split ends rather than forensics though :/

You know you're a longhair when you comb through a big FBI article in order to see close up pics of hair :lol:

I will definitely be sticking to a nice sharp pair of hair scissors.

jarlofthebogfey
November 10th, 2015, 10:17 PM
I searched for this, but didn't find any results (could be using the search wrong though... sorry).

So between the recent S&D/causing more splits/good scissors thread, and the "hair burning fad" (Velaterapia) thread... I was wondering... does anyone here S&D with a flame? :couch:

lapushka
November 11th, 2015, 03:00 AM
I think you'd have to be careful not to fully singe your own hair, so... NO. Just... no!

Zindell
November 11th, 2015, 04:02 AM
S&D with a flame

I just can't see how this is beneficial. Sure, when you twist your hair and put a flame near it, it will singe off the little hairs sticking out, both those that have splits but also all the outgrowing hairs with no splits, resulting in thinner hair allover. :confused:
(Same thing with the "Split Ender" tool. It'll just cut off all shorter hairs that points out, regardless if they have splits or not).

When doing S&D with a scissor, at least you know you only trim hairs with split ends.

hennalonghair
November 11th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Believe it or not I actually went to my moms hairdresser who suggested I get this done so I did.
It actually worked well and singed off all my split ends and at the time, I had many.
Now I rarely get split ends. Every once in a while I check under my highly magnified power light and find them that way because ........ My eyes are dim , I cannot see .....:lol:

Gabriel
November 11th, 2015, 06:35 AM
I searched for this, but didn't find any results (could be using the search wrong though... sorry).

So between the recent S&D/causing more splits/good scissors thread, and the "hair burning fad" (Velaterapia) thread... I was wondering... does anyone here S&D with a flame? :couch:

The words you might try for previous threads on similar topics are "candling" or "hot scissors".

Groovy Granny
November 11th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Holy crap :tmi: NO!!!

sarahthegemini
November 11th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Putting a flame near your hair is just asking for trouble! Why?!?

Stormynights
November 11th, 2015, 10:30 AM
This was very popular many years ago. It was called singeing. I know that there is still a religious grow where women are not allowed to cut their hair but they can singe it.

lillielil
November 11th, 2015, 10:33 AM
So this is one thing I have never understood - both flame-trimming and other salon split trimming methods involve twisting hair and then cutting (or burning) the bits that pop out from the twist. Why would splits pop out and health ends stay in? I've tried twisting my own hair the same way and that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Am I missing something?

hennalonghair
November 11th, 2015, 10:46 AM
It isn't something I would do now but back in the day as stormy suggested it was what they did. It actually worked ok.
It was my moms hair dresser for over 30 years so there was trust. I don't for the life of me know why:doh: but I just did.
It is a crazy thing to do but it honestly didn't hurt my hair.

Panth
November 11th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Nope, it's a baaaaand idea. Here's a photo of hair trimmed with (sharp) scissors (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/images/fig71.jpg). Here's a photo of razor-cut hair (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/images/fig72.jpg) and here's a photo of a split end (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/images/fig53.jpg).

In contrast, here's a photo of burnt/singed hair (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/images/fig74.jpg). See how the tip has basically melted and bubbled, leaving a twisted blob on the end? That bit is going to tangle and get stuck on the rest of the hair. Also, it's going to eventually break off, leaving a split.

A nice clean scissor cut leaves nothing to tangle on and a minimal cross-section to abrade. A razor cut isn't great either because the diagonal cut means there's more cut edge to abrade away and split.

So this is one thing I have never understood - both flame-trimming and other salon split trimming methods involve twisting hair and then cutting (or burning) the bits that pop out from the twist. Why would splits pop out and health ends stay in? I've tried twisting my own hair the same way and that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Am I missing something?

It's not that splits pop out and healthy stuff stays in, it's simply a method to easily get the shorter bits of hair that are within the length to separate out from the rest of the length. S&D then involves visually checking these shorter hairs and trimming them if they're split. Singeing assumes that all of the shorter hairs have splits and flame-trimming all of them.

Deborah
November 11th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Not in a million years. This is nuts.

hennalonghair
November 11th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Nope, it's a baaaaand idea. Here's a photo of hair trimmed with (sharp) scissors (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/images/fig71.jpg). Here's a photo of razor-cut hair (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/images/fig72.jpg) and here's a photo of a split end (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/images/fig53.jpg).

In contrast, here's a photo of burnt/singed hair (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/images/fig74.jpg). See how the tip has basically melted and bubbled, leaving a twisted blob on the end? That bit is going to tangle and get stuck on the rest of the hair. Also, it's going to eventually break off, leaving a split.

A nice clean scissor cut leaves nothing to tangle on and a minimal cross-section to abrade. A razor cut isn't great either because the diagonal cut means there's more cut edge to abrade away and split.

It's not that splits pop out and healthy stuff stays in, it's simply a method to easily get the shorter bits of hair that are within the length to separate out from the rest of the length. S&D then involves visually checking these shorter hairs and trimming them if they're split. Singeing assumes that all of the shorter hairs have splits and flame-trimming all of them.
:thumbsup: then it probably did damage my hair but it's not the only crazy thing I did as a kid.

diddiedaisy
November 11th, 2015, 11:09 AM
I don't understand :/ maybe I'm just plain old stupid (no comments required!!) but how does this not damage hair? Secondly, if I twist my hair I get all my new growth poking out, and I need every last one of them to stay where they are.

mz_butterfly
November 11th, 2015, 11:32 AM
That adds a whole new meaning to the term "Hot Head"

People have caught their hair on fire simply by passing near an open flame or candle. This is a terrible idea for the person who wants to grow their hair.

I can't even imagine the hair catching on fire and possibly giving the person facial or skin burns.

No. Not a good idea. Not a good idea at all.

Amapola
November 11th, 2015, 11:43 AM
I read the thread title and thought, "Yikes, we don't use blow dryers, but somehow an open flame might be OK?" :shocked: Sounds really scary. But fortunately we have Panth to the rescue (thanks! :flowers:) so whew. :)

-Fern
November 11th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Those are really cool images, Panth!! Thank you for sharing!

jarlofthebogfey
November 11th, 2015, 11:46 AM
I was going to reply to everyone, but... yikes!

So several of you made me :rollin:. I love the base response of no, just NO :tmi:. :laugh:

I'm curious because we were all (family of six) in the car yesterday, and while my kids bring great things to the table like music and politics, I just had faux man buns, and velaterapia to share. :lol: So we were discussing it, and aside from the fact that the five of us who have long hair were of the opinion "not in a million years", we were also interested in this entire concept of "cauterization" of the shaft and end, etc. It seemed like one of those crazy things that could definitely have a base merit.

And this brought to my mind, the idea of s&d with flame. Very basic, like have a lit votive, and pull out *just* your split end hair, and just singe it NEAR the flame. But all I could think of, is how any time my hair has singed via candle or stove burner, it's just SO fast, and "goes right up", you know what I mean?

So I figured if anyone had tried it, they might be here! ;)

And thank you for the better search terms! I am intrigued by reading more about hot scissors... interesting.

parkmikii
November 11th, 2015, 12:58 PM

This is exactly why I said that it makes no sense because the ends would just unravel.

Stormynights
November 11th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Years ago they thought that hair was hollow and that singeing closed up the ends.

meteor
November 11th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Well, a singed end looks like this (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/images/fig74.jpg) (compare it to pictures of cleanly cut, abraded, worn, broken, glass-cut, razored, etc ends in this report - https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/2004_01_research01b.htm). I think that burnt off end will be catching on other hairs, making detangling harder, until that damaged, burnt off edge finally breaks off (leaving less than smooth edge behind, I would imagine). I heard a trichologist talking about that burnt end falling off after a few washes, too (the video wasn't in English, so I'm not linking it here).

Believe it or not I actually went to my moms hairdresser who suggested I get this done so I did.
It actually worked well and singed off all my split ends and at the time, I had many.
Now I rarely get split ends. Every once in a while I check under my highly magnified power light and find them that way because ........ My eyes are dim , I cannot see .....:lol:

Do you mean, you saw fewer split ends forming right after the singeing, while before singeing you had lots of splits forming quickly? If the hair care routine (and especially tools and handling) hasn't changed at all, but splits no longer formed after singeing, that does sound quite interesting!... :D :hmm:

This was very popular many years ago. It was called singeing. I know that there is still a religious grow where women are not allowed to cut their hair but they can singe it.

Yes, it was very popular. But I had no idea about the religious component. Thanks a lot for sharing that, Stormynights! :D

Yes, I think flame applied to the whole twisted edge of the area (rather than individual strands) as well as the Split Ender machine would burn or cut healthy ends together with splits. :(
But if you do an individual S&D session (kind of like what they do in George Michael salons) while twisting strands like that, then it should be fine, because you are cutting only specific strands you select out of the ones that popped out. :)

meteor
November 11th, 2015, 01:59 PM

^Great analysis, Panth! :applause

Years ago they thought that hair was hollow and that singeing closed up the ends.

^ Interestingly, hair structure does contain medulla (at least, the thicker strands do) in the middle of the strand, under hair cortex layer. And medulla is filled with air, possibly functions as added insulation, which is one of the main functions of hair anyway. More on this here (http://www.chem.sc.edu/analytical/chem107/lab4_032205.pdf), with pictures of medulla and its various structures (from p. 5).

I don't see how singeing can exactly close it... it can probably just damage the edge of hair strand... :hmm:

anou
November 12th, 2016, 09:39 PM
Yes, I found this video on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEbmsYejo1Q

This just looks downright horrible and dangerous.

vampyyri
November 12th, 2016, 09:47 PM
:run: NOPE

DweamGoiL
November 12th, 2016, 10:02 PM
There is a thread about this from a couple of years ago. I think the consensus around here was a big resounding no!

alimc
November 13th, 2016, 02:33 AM
shudder:

Apart from the obvious safety issues for body and hair. And the 'just no!' issue. Imagine the smell..... bleuch :flamed:

kuroi
November 13th, 2016, 02:41 AM
:brickwall Just no :couch:

lapushka
November 13th, 2016, 03:25 AM
There is a thread about this from a couple of years ago. I think the consensus around here was a big resounding no!

Yes not too long ago, I think even. It seems to come up every once in a while, together with that split ender device. ;)

Johannah
November 13th, 2016, 03:58 AM
Apparently this was quite normal in Belgium when my mother was a child. Yikes.

Entangled
November 13th, 2016, 07:04 AM
I think this has been a fad on and off since the Victorian age.

HairPlease
November 13th, 2016, 07:11 AM
I prefer to keep fire away from parts of my body. Yes that includes hair.

spidermom
November 13th, 2016, 07:31 AM
And another great big NOPE from me.

missmelaniem
November 13th, 2016, 07:43 AM
lol I dont even know what to say to that. :rollin:

ephemeri
November 13th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Not only is this so incredibly dangerous (for your hair, body, face... and life!) but you can't target only the splits. She ended up burning off all the layered pieces that were sticking out along the twist. Seems like too much risk and not enough control of the situation.

Mrstran
November 13th, 2016, 09:07 AM
And this is the reason why you see those odd warning labels on products that should be common sense.

Example: hairdryer: Do not use near water

Draino: Do not consume

Hairkay
November 13th, 2016, 09:44 AM
:shake:That's dangerously stupid. I recently saw a video of a woman who got burnt when she passed near a flame. She'd thought she was a safe distance. Her hair products were highly flammable and now all of her skin from the side of her face and neck got burnt off. She faces reconstruction surgery.

Zebra Fish
November 13th, 2016, 10:12 AM
I was advised to do that sth like 20 yrs ago from an austrian hairdresser, but it sounded to scary to both me and my mum, so never tried it.

Strands
November 13th, 2016, 10:33 AM
I call BS on this method. :bs:
Ain't nobody gon be finna put flames on my hair. uh-uh.

CindyOfTheOaks
November 13th, 2016, 11:05 AM
This is something that started in the 1960s ( I think )
Also I remember seeing a salon using a comb and a torch...
They would comb out a section of hair torch it and quickly comb through to extinguish !

Ohmagosh - noooo way !

mz_butterfly
November 13th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Burning ones hair is not conducive to healthy hair or growth.

anou
November 13th, 2016, 11:41 AM
I know right guys, it just seems wrong on so many levels! I cringed when the hair pieces burned and shrivelled up :(

Doom
November 13th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Wow, more Youtube idiots. I'll put them in the same junk pile as the guy who fancied himself an acrobat and somersaulted into a bramble bush, and the drunken frat boys who removed each other's tattoos with a homemade 3 watt laser.
Really, I feel no pity for idiots. Show me a video where they do that and set themselves on fire, and I'll LOL IRL.

reilly0167
November 13th, 2016, 11:54 AM
This just don't make no sense at all, and the smell of burnt hair yuck!

FennFire911
November 13th, 2016, 12:00 PM
I'm glad that by the end of this video she concludes this is not something people should be doing. And now I can see that this might even need to be something I add to fire prevention presentations. When we go around to schools to teach kids about fire hazards, I guess now I need to throw in "and if when you're older you have the urge to set your hair on fire to remove split ends, please just don't."
Seriously, hair is the first thing to go. Hair can go up in flames and be gone in the blink of an eye the same as a dried out old Christmas tree. I'm not even a long-term hair expert here on LHC and I'm straight up telling you, (general you, no one specific) do not set any of your body parts on fire!
Just, yikes. The video made me cringe.

Chromis
November 13th, 2016, 12:07 PM
We've had a few of these threads over the years. I am happy to merge them if someone wants to dig them up! There were some great stories in the last one I recall.

Just report the post or send a pm to let me know, or else I might miss it :flower:

anou
November 13th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Yeah it's good that the youtuber decided it was not a good idea! But if you google 'velaterapia', there's plenty of people saying it helped them etc, I really don't see how setting your hair on fire would do that...

FennFire911
November 13th, 2016, 12:13 PM
In reality I imagine the intense heat and instant dryness from flames would cause more splits ends over the next few days. Very counter productive.

Entangled
November 13th, 2016, 12:22 PM
This is something that started in the 1960s ( I think )
Also I remember seeing a salon using a comb and a torch...
They would comb out a section of hair torch it and quickly comb through to extinguish !

Ohmagosh - noooo way !

Actually, it's been around for quite a bit longer.
After washing, drying, and combing the hair, clip all split ends – clipping is less dangerous than singeing. (The Delineator, 1894)

Split ends should be singed, not cut: Professionals take ‘strands of hair, twist them tightly […] and then quickly run over each a lighted taper, that burns the tiny ends sticking out and does not affect the long growth’ (Health And Beauty Hints, 1910).

‘Singeing the hair is useless’ (A Girl’s Problems In Home Economics, 1926).

http://www.sewhistorically.com/victorian-and-edwardian-hair-care-about-cutting-and-singeing-the-hair/
It's also mentioned in this article, but it's good to know it was considered dangerous then as well!
http://www.vintagevictorian.com/costume_1890_hair.html

Eastbound&Down
November 13th, 2016, 03:13 PM
My hair caught on fire like 4 months ago and there was nothing good that came out of it. Why someone would want to put flame to their hair, I just don't understand.

lapushka
November 13th, 2016, 03:42 PM
Not to mention that if they are busy with your hair and the flame catches a whiff of oxygen, and goes woosh; then what? :(

Spinder
November 13th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Hair + open flames = a HUGE no-no. As far as bad ideas go, on a scale of one to ten, I'd rank this an eleven. You could end up burning your hair off, in the hospital with severe burns to your skin, or burning your house down. shudder:

samanthaa
November 13th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Besides being an obvious hazard, this method can't possibly be an effective method of split-end removal. The same way cutting with a pair of dull scissors is actually more harmful in the long-run than it is helpful, I see this method only encouraging more fraying.

DweamGoiL
November 13th, 2016, 05:17 PM
And this is the reason why you see those odd warning labels on products that should be common sense.

I'm sorry this is so true, but it just made me crack up :rollin:

Flipgirl24
November 13th, 2016, 10:16 PM
Well, I suppose it does get rid of split ends. Now they're burnt ends. It would be sager to go to a hairdresser for a trim.

Coral Grimes
November 14th, 2016, 02:16 AM
As someone who has set fire to both their hair and clothing on several occasions (I'm clumsy and I burned a LOT of incense in my youth) I can't imagine why anyone would do this a) intentionally and 2) sober.

;)

anou
November 14th, 2016, 02:25 AM

:lol: as a kid I would always ask my parents why those warnings were printed. For instance, who would drink a phenolic cleaner?

TatsuOni
November 14th, 2016, 02:54 AM
Serious heat damage! No thank you to fire near my hair and face!

Pacific
November 14th, 2016, 03:42 AM
After a trim I burn my ends with a candle.
When I started to take more care of my hair, maybe 10 years ago, I did S&D with a candle. Now I don't have any split ends. After burning I massage a bit coconut oil in the ends.

NymphSpirit
November 14th, 2016, 04:05 AM
Oh yeah! Singing! That was atually great for me, made my ends look thick and lush, though I did it on each particular split end I found and not with fire but with something that didn't have the power to actually set my hair on fire, like a small coal. It sounds scary but you know that with this method the hair won't split again.

Apolli
November 14th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Sounds dangerous tbh

Chromis
November 14th, 2016, 06:34 AM
Mod note: Okay, the other threads were older, so start again from the beginning if you would like to read them. :magic:

Kat-Rinnè Naido
November 14th, 2016, 06:56 AM
When I started to take more care of my hair, maybe 10 years ago, I did S&D with a candle. Now I don't have any split ends. After burning I massage a bit coconut oil in the ends.

Oh yeah! Singing! That was atually great for me, made my ends look thick and lush, though I did it on each particular split end I found and not with fire but with something that didn't have the power to actually set my hair on fire, like a small coal. It sounds scary but you know that with this method the hair won't split again.

Now I knew there are a few that have success with this method.

Using an incense stick on each strand sounds like a good idea

OhSuzi
November 14th, 2016, 08:28 AM
There may be some truth to it? Im pretty sure men used to get the back of their head trimmed with scissors & then burned shorter with a match - in the days before clippers.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
November 14th, 2016, 09:13 AM

Mod note: Okay, the other threads were older, so start again from the beginning if you would like to read them. :magic:

Thank you for the merge.

humble_knight
November 14th, 2016, 09:29 AM
There may be some truth to it? Im pretty sure men used to get the back of their head trimmed with scissors & then burned shorter with a match - in the days before clippers.

Turkish barbershops regularly get rid of ear hair using fire. I've heard of using fire on the ends of scalp hair also, but to me it just seems like a gimmick and not something beneficial to the hair.

Kimberly
November 14th, 2016, 09:43 AM
I tried this using a candle on one small section years ago (with a variety of safety precautions and assistance) and found that it leaves damaged ends that tangle.

It bothers me to see comments up-thread about how only idiots would do this, etc. I see this sort of thing from time to time here, someone sees a video or an article or someone in the mall, posts it, and -- let the ridicule begin! It goes beyond saying what the person spotlighted in video or story is doing it is a bad idea, on to flinging the insults. Posters don't know if someone from LHC made the video, might join later, or might have tried the thing themself. But hey, if you just want a thread where you mock people instead of a conversation (where people already pre-attacked won't feel welcome), it's a fabulous way to go about things.

I tried singing my hair because sometimes I try historical things just to see how they work out, as a living history experiment, not because I expected great results. I'm not an "idiot." I wasn't drunk. And it doesn't feel good to know that someone here feels that if someone gets burned doing this it will be funny, a real laugh riot. Since you find that so funny, maybe you should make a mocking video of your own -- illustrate it with models from Sculptris, haha, hysterical, and even funnier if the person who recommended it to you is the one burnt up.

anou
November 14th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Kimberly, I did not mean to mock people who do it! I thought it sounded dangerous, and the whole idea of putting it here is to see what lhcers have to say about it...I'm not going to judge people who do it. Just that it sounded dangerous to me.

Andthetalltrees
November 14th, 2016, 01:38 PM
I remember reading in an old book from the latter part of the Victorian era it advocating catching the ends of your hair on fire to make it dry quicker.

littlestarface
November 14th, 2016, 03:09 PM
So is burning the split end off better for the hair then cutting it off with scissors? Has anyone compared or is this just a thread about how dangerous and dumb it is? lol

Entangled
November 14th, 2016, 04:03 PM
So is burning the split end off better for the hair then cutting it off with scissors? Has anyone compared or is this just a thread about how dangerous and dumb it is? lol

Meteor did, though the links to microscopic hair photos don't work anymore.

meteor
November 14th, 2016, 04:27 PM
^ I had a post with pictures of different ends (abraded/tapered/straight cut/razor cut/burnt/etc...) over here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136845&p=3189819&viewfull=1#post3189819 I guess some photos must have been taken down since then though.

I haven't seen any hair specific research into specifically burning/singeing ends. But according to FBI Forensic science communication article on hair:

Damage: Cutting with scissors produces a sheared or square-cut end (Figure 71), whereas a razor cut is angular and very straight or clean (Figure 72). The length of time since cutting is subject to many variables; hence, no reliable determination can be made. Crushed hairs exhibit a widening of the hair shaft, and the cortical cells appear ruptured and separated. Broken hairs exhibit a square tip with elongated fragments (Figure73). Burned or singed hairs are charred and brittle and exhibit round vacuoles at the point of burning (Figure 74).
Source: https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/2004_01_research01b.htm

Photomicrograph of scissor-cut hair: https://archives.fbi.gov/archiveresources/f/4/2/f42fbf2451e1dc373a6084a5e04f8753
Photomicrograph of razor-cut hair: https://archives.fbi.gov/archiveresources/8/0/e/80e9742aac1d722d095422b762ef5a12
Photomicrograph of broken hair: https://archives.fbi.gov/archiveresources/a/0/1/a01759c6ac22bc1b364ce44490e3f643
Photomicrograph of burnt hair: https://archives.fbi.gov/archiveresources/3/4/8/34893f34554387a6c4fa531ef0626abe
(Source: https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/2004_01_research01b.htm)
Hair affected by burning: https://archives.fbi.gov/archiveresources/8/f/e/8fe5a711c4cb02f6bc49c8db7211cc3a (Source: https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/july2000/deedric1.htm)

littlestarface
November 14th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Awesome meteor! So I will definitly not be burning my splits! That looks so painful to be burned and broken.

trolleypup
November 14th, 2016, 05:47 PM
And burning is fairly indiscriminate in that it takes the ends off all the hairs in the area, unlike S&D where only the damaged ends are cut...

lora410
November 14th, 2016, 06:02 PM
After he burner her hair it says in the article that he set her under a heat lamp. :disgust: it definitely looks shorter and not much better I'd rather :scissors:

Kat-Rinnè Naido
November 14th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Thank you meteor!

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 15th, 2016, 12:48 AM
Uh... thats all i have to say. :confused:

mz_butterfly
November 16th, 2016, 02:42 PM
^ I had a post with pictures of different ends (abraded/tapered/straight cut/razor cut/burnt/etc...) over here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136845&p=3189819&viewfull=1#post3189819 I guess some photos must have been taken down since then though.

I haven't seen any hair specific research into specifically burning/singeing ends. But according to FBI Forensic science communication article on hair:

Source: https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/2004_01_research01b.htm

Photomicrograph of scissor-cut hair: https://archives.fbi.gov/archiveresources/f/4/2/f42fbf2451e1dc373a6084a5e04f8753
Photomicrograph of razor-cut hair: https://archives.fbi.gov/archiveresources/8/0/e/80e9742aac1d722d095422b762ef5a12
Photomicrograph of broken hair: https://archives.fbi.gov/archiveresources/a/0/1/a01759c6ac22bc1b364ce44490e3f643
Photomicrograph of burnt hair: https://archives.fbi.gov/archiveresources/3/4/8/34893f34554387a6c4fa531ef0626abe
(Source: https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/jan2004/research/2004_01_research01b.htm)
Hair affected by burning: https://archives.fbi.gov/archiveresources/8/f/e/8fe5a711c4cb02f6bc49c8db7211cc3a (Source: https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/about-us/lab/forensic-science-communications/fsc/july2000/deedric1.htm)

Those are interesting.

The scissor cut one looks like Fettuccini- https://pastaprincessandmore.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/lemon-fettuccine-noodles-1.jpg

The razor cut one looks like a Ficcare Maximas- http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=32243378

The broken one looks like like rough wood- http://www.quality3dmodels.net/textures/texture_demo/518896782-textures0031.jpg

The burnt one looks like a paint brush dipped in ink- http://www.museums.ualberta.ca/en/ProgramsAndEvents/Events/~/media/museums/Images/News/brush_and_ink_resized.jpg

The hair affected by burning looks like a poison caterpillar - http://www.lucianabartolini.net/Immagini/bruchi_due/Euproctis_chrysorrhoea.jpg

meteor
November 16th, 2016, 02:59 PM
littlestarface, Kat-Rinnè Naido, thank you! :D I'm glad the links worked! :)

mz_butterfly, he-he, those are awesome! :lol: I love the cute caterpillar! :D

vampyyri
November 16th, 2016, 03:11 PM
mz_butterfly that is amazing :lol: I especially love the fuzzy caterpillar xD