PDA

View Full Version : the itch to change my hair

Scelesta
June 23rd, 2014, 01:23 PM
I used to be a frequent dyer, my hair never stayed teh same color for longer then a month, 2 at most. I'd go from a dyed black, bleaching MANY times in one day to get as light as I could before putting the color I wanted over it. Needless to say my hair 'stopped growing' at shoulder length cause of this.

I have not dyed with chemical dyes since october, I bleached it ONE time since then before applying my henna as I wanted a brighter orange and not a deeper orange then what I likely would have gotten because of the henna already in my hair that had it at a dark burgendey...

I also used to cut my hair often, to manage damage, change the look etc, now theres no damage so I have no reason to cut it lol

I THOUGHT i'd be happy to FINALLY have a pretty bright natural orange hair color, as its somethign i've wanted for years but got fed up with boxed dyes fading fast...But I'm just so BORED with it, i NEED to do something to my hair to make a change and I dont know what, Its at this stupid stage where I feel like there is NOTHING i can do to style wise that doesnt feel dorky to me.

I'm actually really considering a small challenge for myself to keep myself from doing something drastic to my hair. I was thinking of 24/7 wrapping in a scarf, taking it down only to wash, condition and oil/comb. and NO looking in mirrors with my hair uncovered, for one whole month. The only exception i'll make to taking it down would be to go swimming, but still no mirrors. I want to see if a full month of not seeing my hair will help me love it more.

Does this sound crazy? anyone have any suggestions for scarves, or how to wear them?

lapushka
June 23rd, 2014, 01:47 PM
I THOUGHT i'd be happy to FINALLY have a pretty bright natural orange hair color, as its somethign i've wanted for years but got fed up with boxed dyes fading fast...But I'm just so BORED with it, i NEED to do something to my hair to make a change and I dont know what, Its at this stupid stage where I feel like there is NOTHING i can do to style wise that doesnt feel dorky to me.

I think it's great to focus on scarves, maybe some new hairtoys at that? I think you're suffering from awkward-stage-itis. It's common, and frequent, and you can only overcome it with patience and with growing longer. ;)

Lots of luck to you!

arr
June 24th, 2014, 08:44 AM
I can see how it would be really hard to leave your hair alone when you are used to experimenting. When i get in a phase where my hair is driving me nuts and its all i can think about, i try to redirect my attention to some other all consuming project or hobby. Recently i was experimenting with making my own perfume oils, for example. Or i might pull out the old sewing machine and work on making something. I don't know if this would work for you, just trying to think of something that would help.

kitana97
June 24th, 2014, 12:40 PM
I've been itching to change my hair too. Maybe not something drastic but a little change ;)

Good luck with resisting the urge! I think not looking in the mirrors will really help, and also try not to google different hair colors and such.

Cania
June 24th, 2014, 01:09 PM
The scarf idea sounds fun :D

PinkyCat
June 24th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Yuck I have that itch too! I'm managing it ok I guess - Ive purchased about 650 hair flowers and headbands - but I'm itching for something else! I'm dying to do a pony-hawk but it's just not long enough yet. I think I might have enough length to do some victory rolls in the front, or pin curls - I just don't have the ambition in the morning! LOL.

I hope you find something that works, I know exactly how you feel!

Carolyn
June 24th, 2014, 04:19 PM
I've changed mine gradually over the years but I always make small changes and do more next trim if I like it. What I do go hog wild for is nail polish and make up. The consequences of mistakes in make up and nail polish aren't things that take years to recover from. Those things satisfy my urges for a change.

meteor
June 24th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Experimentation is fun! :D So I really hope it won't come off as discouraging, but with a goal at knee, maybe it would be safer to experiment with wigs / extensions of different colors rather than changing your own hair color every time you experience this boredom? There will be no maintenance, commitment or damage.
Personally, I know if I had that urge to constantly change hair color so dramatically and then cut off the damage, I wouldn't be able to grow long hair. But, as with everything else, Your Mileage May Vary. :)

Scelesta
June 30th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Experimentation is fun! :D So I really hope it won't come off as discouraging, but with a goal at knee, maybe it would be safer to experiment with wigs / extensions of different colors rather than changing your own hair color every time you experience this boredom? There will be no maintenance, commitment or damage.
Personally, I know if I had that urge to constantly change hair color so dramatically and then cut off the damage, I wouldn't be able to grow long hair. But, as with everything else, Your Mileage May Vary. :)

Acutally! I have a few wigs I bought after the big chop in november, I've been wearing those when I go out, hubby thinks i'm ridiculous but I love it, the longest one i have brushes the tops of my hips and i'm all "I cannot wait till my real hair is this long" its keeping me motivated. :) I also have some plans to buy a couple human hair wigs as soon as I get a job lol then I can dye one a crazy color or whatever and not ruin my own hair.

Luckily it seems the urge has passed, I think it was stress induced this time, I used to cut off my hair or dye it when I got super stressed out and it made me feel better, but as soon as the massive stress was over I no longer felt like changing it haha.

meteor
June 30th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Acutally! I have a few wigs I bought after the big chop in november, I've been wearing those when I go out, hubby thinks i'm ridiculous but I love it, the longest one i have brushes the tops of my hips and i'm all "I cannot wait till my real hair is this long" its keeping me motivated. :) I also have some plans to buy a couple human hair wigs as soon as I get a job lol then I can dye one a crazy color or whatever and not ruin my own hair.

Luckily it seems the urge has passed, I think it was stress induced this time, I used to cut off my hair or dye it when I got super stressed out and it made me feel better, but as soon as the massive stress was over I no longer felt like changing it haha.
Great! :D Nothing more fun than having a collection of wigs of different colors and hair types to play with. :) I think it's a great plan! :D

When I get super stressed out like that, I tend to just bun my hair and neglect it and stretch washes... Then, when I am back on track, my hair is still there and usually a bit longer! Hair growth is a looooooong journey. :)

NatNat
June 30th, 2014, 06:06 PM
I had the itch a couple days ago and unfortunately gave in, made it a purple-ish color and am not disappointed :) Good for you for sticking through it though!