PDA

View Full Version : Help with sock buns please

aforestfae
June 22nd, 2014, 10:03 AM
Hi :)
I love sock bun curls but when I put my hair up and sleep on it my scalp feels almost greasy the next day and it won't always curl evenly, some hair is straight some is curled, it's often still damp and half the curls drop out.
I normally do it on freshly washed hair that's damp, sometimes with a little oil on the ends but not always.
I like being able to put it up and forget about it.
Also it can be really hard to get my hair up as it's slightly layered, the hair loosens up around the sock and I can't get it even
Any help?
Thank you

Winter Fox
June 22nd, 2014, 10:25 AM
Hi aforestfae :)

I can tell you how sock bun curls work for me: first of all I never do it with freshly washed hair just because of what you said - some parts take much longer to dry and then some of the curls are not in shape.
Normally I use LOC on my ends before a sock bun - which means at first I use some water, then Almond or Rice Brain Oil and at last a hair cream. For me that is what makes the most difference. Without the cream my sock curls get loose very soon and are not shiny at all.
I also make sure that the bun is firm and placed really high - most of the time nearly at the top of my head. That will maybe help you with the layers.

I hope this helps you :)

aforestfae
June 22nd, 2014, 10:34 AM
Thank you :)
I never thought to try hair cream

MINAKO
June 22nd, 2014, 10:46 AM
I always found the sock bun method very odd in terms of distributing the tension evenly, its almost impossible to achieve the same amount of waves/curls all over. I switched to using a hairagami and it turns out much nicer.

aforestfae
June 23rd, 2014, 10:58 AM
Thank you for the help :)
The hairagami make beautiful buns, would probably be much easier than sock buns :)
Anyone know how I can deal with the greasy/funny feeling scalp? I do sock buns on clean hair but it always ends up feeling rather clumpy, greasy and quite flat, I don't add oil, serum or hairspray to my roots all I do is put my hair up in a high, quite tight ponytail as I find if it's too loose it's harder to get the sock in.