PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins that you swear by

cdonald2
June 22nd, 2014, 12:22 AM
Hello ladies! I've seen a lot of different suggestions here and there for vitamins and supplements that make your hair healthier. I was wondering if there are any vitamins that you absolutely prefer over all of the other ones. Ones that you absolutely swear by. Right now I just started GNC ultra Norrish hair. I usually take Biotin, gelatin, prenatal vitamins, fish oil supplements and I take vitamin D due to a deficiency. I also take evening Primrose. I'm not sure what the evening Primrose does, but it was recommended here by a user. I'm curious to see what everybody's answers are on here :-) as of right now I have nothing that I can currently recommend other than biotin

kitana97
June 22nd, 2014, 12:47 AM
I currently take Omega-3's in the form of fish oil. I haven't noticed too much of a difference in my hair since taking them.

StellaKatherine
June 22nd, 2014, 01:20 AM
I am really bad in taking any extra vitamins.... Ehh I am taking now an iron+c vitamin because of a lady days, but otherwise I take non unless I see some dramatic shedding and then run to get some calcium and silica pills. I really should starting taking more, I think, I guess.. hmmm Not getting any younger after all :lol:

Do we really NEED to take millions of pills everyday ? Anything easy, like 1 pill for most ?:confused:

Natalia
June 22nd, 2014, 01:25 AM
Any form of essential fatty acids you choose. My stomach wont tolerate much period forget pills. I used to take cod liver oil but it started giving me issues so i switched recently to flax. Still waiting to see how the results differ but i know how different i feel with the extra EFA's in my diet

martyna_22
June 22nd, 2014, 02:24 AM
I've stopped taking supplements for the summer, except iron.. I eat so much fresh stuff these days that I don't think I need anything more, if anything, I could only overdose on fat soluble vitamins (yeah, I'm a huge fan of nuts and unsweetened and unsalted peanut butter :D).

Andeee
June 22nd, 2014, 02:50 AM
I am taking now an iron+c vitamin because of a lady days
Same here. I became severely anemic two or three years ago and am now on prescription strength iron plus a vit C. I lost a lot of hair, but as soon as I started on the iron and C it stopped falling out. It's come back super thick again and is now just about tailbone length. I'm no longer severely anemic, but doctor still wants to see my levels come up a bit more.

ErinLeigh
June 22nd, 2014, 02:59 AM
I like blending fruit and veggies with a little protein powder in my nutri bullet.
As far as supplements I do not take any so watching thread with interest.

Marika
June 22nd, 2014, 03:42 AM
I take vitamin D because there's practically no sun here and I don't really eat/drink food with added vit D (like milk). I take omega-3 too because I can't stand fish. I don't take these for hair, just for general health. I don't think it's good idea to take too much supplements.

kitcatsmeow
June 22nd, 2014, 04:35 AM
Iron for anemia. I take megafoods blood builder or floradix iron and herbs. Two best iron supplements I have found and I have tried everything! I've been severity anemic for years and have had 3 blood transfusions! Finally have kept my iron at normal levels.
Omega 3 cod liver oil (entric coated)
B complex
Hair skin and nails (solar brand) I'm on my 3d bottle.
Magnesium chelate as well as a liquid magnesium and calcium (most people are deficient in magnesium)
Prenatal petite (rainbow research). I take 1/3 dose
Vitex. Helps with hormone regulation
And just started biotin 600 mcg only every other day

jacqueline101
June 22nd, 2014, 07:21 AM
I take a multi vitamin
Flaxseed
Biotin
B complex
Cranberry
Probiotic acidophilus
I get plenty of protein from my slim fast and water these are good for your hair too.

sarahthegemini
June 22nd, 2014, 07:56 AM
Unless you have a deficiency, I don't understand why you would take a load of vitamins? Surely that just results in expensive pee....

MINAKO
June 22nd, 2014, 08:12 AM
Unless you have a deficiency, I don't understand why you would take a load of vitamins? Surely that just results in expensive pee....
seconding this! ;)

Annibelle
June 22nd, 2014, 08:54 AM

I used to take a bunch of vitamins, and I didn't feel or look any better then than I do now. I should be taking my vitamin D simply because I'm always a bit low, but otherwise, I don't see the point in all of these vitamins. I eat a nutrient-dense, whole foods diet, so I'd rather spend that money on food. :yumm: (I do buy lots of supplements for my husband, but that's because he suffers from chronic pain and I'd try anything to help him-- even give him expensive pee. :lol: )

neko_kawaii
June 22nd, 2014, 09:01 AM
A variety of fresh foods.

kitcatsmeow
June 22nd, 2014, 10:14 AM

A lot of people are more deficient in things than they think! Especially minerals. Thanks to pasteurization, chemical sprays, conventionally grown produce, gmo's, medications that prevent proper absorption etc. I eat a variety of fresh fruit, veggies, and meat daily and still had a magnesium, calcium and protien deficit!

höpönasu
June 22nd, 2014, 10:18 AM
I used to have a lot of different pills just for my hair growth but I got so bored swallowing 10+ pills every morning. I haven't taken a single hair growth only pill in months. I think you should take pills for your general health, not for hair. At least not for long periods. :o

ladycaladium
June 22nd, 2014, 10:52 AM
I take vitamin D, but I have really low levels so I need it. I try to eat well.

bunnylake
June 22nd, 2014, 11:33 AM
Fresh whole foods & super foods. Eat as close to nature as possible & you will be in good health. :)
Chia seeds are pretty much like dietary gold, and so versatile. Since adding chia to my diet I notice my skin and hair look more vibrant and healthy.
I'm finishing up a bottle of Hair Skin & Nails from FutureBiotics but I'm not sure they're doing much for me. I think I get all I need from my diet. Eggs are rich in biotin but I'm not sure how much I'd need to eat to get enough to really speed up my hair growth.

bunnylake
June 22nd, 2014, 11:40 AM
I have heard good things about Andrew Lessman Hair vitamins and I'm curious to try them!

kganihanova
June 22nd, 2014, 11:53 AM
Fish oil for shine/ general health, biotin. And a multivitamin, also for general health.

hairpleasegrow
June 22nd, 2014, 11:54 AM
I use food as vitamins as others have said in this thread.

I juice green veg daily…I eat mainly plant based. I love salmon, avocado, cantelope (vitamin A).

I do take vitamins red reishi, a prenatal , and b6 if i remember. I always took vitamins but it wasn't until juicing that I really noticed a change in my overall health.

I have never felt so good (physically and mentally) in all my adulthood since juicing. I highly recommend!!!

Winter Fox
June 22nd, 2014, 12:19 PM
At the moment I only take iron pills but I want to buy biotin too as I've heard great things about it.
The iron seems pretty important for my hair growth. Normally my hair grows 1,5-2cm a month but I forgot to take it regularyly the last two months and my hair only grew 1cm during that time.

Cania
June 22nd, 2014, 12:39 PM
Agree with the expensive pee comment :lol:
I take prescribed, high dose iron. For everything else, I try to eat a healthy, balanced diet.

PinkyCat
June 22nd, 2014, 12:43 PM
I use Beachbody Shakeology, I alternate days of Hairfinity vitamins and Twinlab prenatal vitamins, and I take calcium, vitamin d and sometimes a probiotic. And lots of water.

cdonald2
June 22nd, 2014, 01:13 PM
I have actually heard really good things about HairFinity. Have you noticed a difference in using them?

xoChesleyy
June 22nd, 2014, 01:18 PM
I take Biotin and one Deva Vegan Multi-Vitamin (for overall health) daily.

MINAKO
June 22nd, 2014, 02:41 PM
I have actually heard really good things about HairFinity. Have you noticed a difference in using them?

If it's on Kim K's Instagram it must be amazing. ;) Seriously, you find these exact same Vitamins in much cheaper supplements as well and the body doesn't know how to use the excess specifically to give us twice the hair in half the time.

PinkyCat
June 22nd, 2014, 02:46 PM
I have actually heard really good things about HairFinity. Have you noticed a difference in using the,m?.

Yes but not earth shattering. It's given me about an extra quarter inch per month or so. So I have to chase the grays a little sooner than normal. They really make a difference in my skin though. My lashes also seem thicker. I think its worth the splurge every two months.

Nesoi
June 22nd, 2014, 02:52 PM
I take pregnacare and omega fish oil. Definitely see a difference in hair, skin and nails when I take them consistently.

ARG
June 22nd, 2014, 03:17 PM
Not for my hair, but for my body (and baby).

I'm taking a vegan prenatal once a day. Before the baby, I was taking a multivitamin, with folic acid and evening primrose oil. My labs have said I'm anemic, so I started taking the prenatal which has more than enough iron for the baby and I to share.

jeanniet
June 22nd, 2014, 04:58 PM
A lot of people are more deficient in things than they think! Especially minerals. Thanks to pasteurization, chemical sprays, conventionally grown produce, gmo's, medications that prevent proper absorption etc. I eat a variety of fresh fruit, veggies, and meat daily and still had a magnesium, calcium and protien deficit!

But why take anything when you don't know what you need? I take D because I don't produce it well, even living in a sunny climate, but that's it. I eat a whole foods diet with a lot of greens and veggies, and don't have other deficiencies, so I don't see the point in taking something I don't have a demonstrated need for. The other issue is that supplements aren't benign--they can interfere with other medications or affect organs, especially if there are any undiagnosed health problems. At the very least, anyone taking supplements should do their own research and make sure there are not going to be any interactions, rather than simply taking something because they read about it online.

cdonald2
June 22nd, 2014, 05:39 PM
Even with everything i took i was still deficient in vitamin D. I got a blood test recently to see if i had thyroid issues (which i probably will have in the future). I am not on any other medication right now so for me personally it wouldn't affect anything.

Also, not sure if those who are having a whole foods diet live in Ohio but good luck finding any type of healthy food store where I live without having been genetically engineered. :( It stinks royally.

cdonald2
June 22nd, 2014, 05:44 PM
Has anyone tried any of the bosley supplements or viviscal? ive seen growth serums for both as well as vitamins but i am skeptical.

rawhair21
June 22nd, 2014, 06:48 PM
I eat a high carb, low fat vegan diet. Also, 80-90% of my diet is raw. I usually eat a variety of fruits and veggies, but just in case I take a food grade vegan multi vitamin.

panffle
June 22nd, 2014, 07:21 PM
I take fish oil, msm, vit C, vit B complex and vit D. I noticed a difference in my growth rate after I started taking MSM, though it was nothing too dramatic - my bangs are growing faster than usual, is all. :)

ositarosita
June 22nd, 2014, 07:22 PM
Double post

ositarosita
June 22nd, 2014, 07:24 PM
I eat a high carb, low fat vegan diet. Also, 80-90% of my diet is raw. I usually eat a variety of fruits and veggies, but just in case I take a food grade vegan multi vitamin.

I eat the exact same way lol except I'm also low sodium ... I also take supplements as a safety net...just in case I didn't hit a mark somewhere. I take vegan prenatals

cdonald2
June 22nd, 2014, 10:29 PM
Ive heard great things about MSM. I heard that it can even lengthen your terminal growth!

Islandgrrl
June 22nd, 2014, 11:34 PM
Vitamin D for chronic deficiency
And I take a supplement that's supposed to help with hot flashes. I think it's working, too.

FoxyGhost
June 22nd, 2014, 11:40 PM
For about a year I took a bunch of vitamins including an omega and a multi but they gave me terrible constipation. Thinking that some probiotics would help with the constipation, I started taking those. I ended up with an odd mix of symptoms that I could only call (TMI) constipated diarrhea. I stopped taking all supplements and vitamins and have gone back to normal digestion. My diet is not amazing but according to blood work I'm getting what I need. I would not take vitamins just for hair growth but I can see why other people are trying to rush the process by any means.

jaquelines
June 23rd, 2014, 05:15 AM
OMEGA 3 fish oil, Biotin, MSM. As soon as I've stopped taking Biotin and MSM, had huge hairloss.

Platzhalter
June 23rd, 2014, 05:37 AM
Don't take any vitamins because it's not that hard to get everything needed by just eating normal food. We have a huge freezer, so frozen veggies (which are often better than "fresh" stuff unless you want to make salad) are a main staple. The only thing I take is lactase because of my slight lactose intolerance.

hollygraham43
June 23rd, 2014, 08:22 AM
I take a multi-vitamin/protein shake along with my daily medication and 10,000 mg Biotin and an Iron supplement with a large glass of OJ in the morning.

hollygraham43
June 23rd, 2014, 08:43 AM
I take a multi-vitamin/protein shake along with my daily medication and 10,000 mg Biotin and an Iron supplement with a large glass of OJ in the morning.

meteor
June 23rd, 2014, 11:35 AM
I can't universally recommend any vitamin, because it depends on your health, nutrition and deficiencies.
I take high-dose, prescription iron because of anemia, and I also like fish oil when I don't get enough via my diet.
I never take anything specifically for my hair.