PDA

View Full Version : Protective styles for short hair

skeletonous
June 21st, 2014, 09:19 AM
Sorry if this has been addressed already :lol:

I doubt there is anything I can do to protect my hair while it's in between pixie and bob status, except for use my silk pillowcase and maybe a silk sleep cap at night.

I also try to do a pre-poo coconut oil treatment; we're running a bit low right now so the next one may be in the distant future. I don't currently use conditioner on my hair because none of it is below my ears yet (except for the back neckline) and it makes my hair greasy if I use it above my ears.

Is there anything else I could do?

Edit: I do stretch my washes, I'm currently able to go about 3 days before I need a wash (but I also blame that on how short my hair is).

MeowScat
June 21st, 2014, 10:20 AM
Your routine sounds good, but if I were you, I'd use conditioner every now and then, at least on the ends. A deep conditioning treatment is a nice treat for your hair, too. Try it on a night when you don't have to go anywhere the next day to see if your hair looks greasy. Have you ever tried CO with a light conditioner?

Of course, stay away from heat and use a wide tooth comb.

Protective styles at your length are tough to find. You could always wrap a pretty silk scarf around your head. There are a bunch of great tutorials on YouTube. You could do a half-up, but getting all your length up might take quite a few bobby pins which aren't bad, but they can snag if you don't take them out right.

You should post a pic of your length so we can see exactly how long it is. :)

battles
June 21st, 2014, 10:36 AM
I don't think you have to worry about mechanical damage too much at that length, luckily. :) I didn't start noticing splits until shoulder. You're already way ahead of the game with the sleep caps and the silk pillowcases.

If you really wanted to find something protective, perhaps you could look up some cute retro scarf styles (http://seamlessblog.wordpress.com/2012/07/18/how-to-tie-a-retro-style-headscarf/) to wear while you're going about your day.

skeletonous
June 21st, 2014, 10:50 AM
Your routine sounds good, but if I were you, I'd use conditioner every now and then, at least on the ends. A deep conditioning treatment is a nice treat for your hair, too. Try it on a night when you don't have to go anywhere the next day to see if your hair looks greasy. Have you ever tried CO with a light conditioner?

Of course, stay away from heat and use a wide tooth comb.

Protective styles at your length are tough to find. You could always wrap a pretty silk scarf around your head. There are a bunch of great tutorials on YouTube. You could do a half-up, but getting all your length up might take quite a few bobby pins which aren't bad, but they can snag if you don't take them out right.

You should post a pic of your length so we can see exactly how long it is. :)

I may use conditioner once in a while; my longest section of hair is the back neckline that hits about an 1 1/2 to 2 inches below my ears, everything else is trying to catch up to that. It's basically a pixie-shag hybrid :laugh: I'll see if I can get a good picture tonight.

I'll have to find myself some silk scarves too, I like the idea :)

skeletonous
June 21st, 2014, 10:58 AM
I don't think you have to worry about mechanical damage too much at that length, luckily. :) I didn't start noticing splits until shoulder. You're already way ahead of the game with the sleep caps and the silk pillowcases.

If you really wanted to find something protective, perhaps you could look up some cute retro scarf styles (http://seamlessblog.wordpress.com/2012/07/18/how-to-tie-a-retro-style-headscarf/) to wear while you're going about your day.

That's great to hear :D also I'm definitely considering it!

skeletonous
June 21st, 2014, 11:13 AM
To give an idea I'm between 2 and 3 on this chart I think (sorry for the huge pic!)

http://www.howtohairgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/short.jpg