PDA

View Full Version : Do headbands cause damage?

DKSABS
June 20th, 2014, 10:51 PM
I'm growing our my bangs because of cowlicks and I can never control them. They are now in the awkward stage of growing out and have a mind of their own most of the time. Is it harmful for your hair to wear a headband all day to keep bangs out of your eyes?

Larki
June 20th, 2014, 10:57 PM
What kind of headbands are they? Are they just fabric? I love those, super comfy and no chance of damage. I've had my hair get so tangled in headbands with teeth that I've had to cut them out of my hair though, so if they have teeth, watch out!

DKSABS
June 20th, 2014, 11:05 PM
I've just been buying the cheap plastic headbands at the grocery store. I also got some at Claire's too (cheap plastic ones).

meteor
June 21st, 2014, 07:37 AM
I don't see them as an issue for hair. But every time I wore them, headbands gave me painful headaches after an hour or so... I'd recommend using something soft like fabric or leather.

You can also make a headband with your own hair, just braid (English or rope-braids work well) a small section on one of your sides and pin it on the other side. And you can do two or more braids for a fuller look.

kganihanova
June 21st, 2014, 07:56 AM
They keep you from messing with the bangs- which is never a bad thing.

jacqueline101
June 21st, 2014, 10:15 AM
I don't know how friendly the plastic ones are but the cloth ones without metal are safe. I love the cloth ones my self.

Lady Una
June 21st, 2014, 10:24 AM
I've always had a lot of trouble with breakage when using headbands (even cloth ones) because my hair is ultra-fine, but there has to be SOME way to keep growing-out bangs back, and I was never able to think of anything that wouldn't possibly damage hair that would still keep the bangs out of my face! So I usually reverted to headbands or barrettes (which probably also caused breakage). I think if you're careful with the headbands and maybe use different ones occasionally (so your hair isn't always stressed in the same spots) it should minimalize damage.

Nadine <3
June 21st, 2014, 03:38 PM
I like the fabric ones for holding my bangs back when I'm sick of them.

DKSABS
June 22nd, 2014, 01:09 AM
Thank you all for the replies! I posted the question and then couldn't find the thread again later. Still learning how to get around in this forum!