PDA

View Full Version : product help--trying to boost volume at crown on days 2, 3 after showering

feb26
June 20th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Hi! Hoping someone else out there has experienced this & can help. I've fine hair, I like to air-dry as much as possible as I also colour my hair. Airdrying takes a few hrs as is bsl, so usually I put in either a touch of gel or beachy-wave making product & leave in condish. I scrunch & leave it alone & get lovely waves. I am part Portugeuse, so do have some slight wave but not enough for the curly girl method to work (have tried). Mousse gives great results but leaves hair crunchy by day 3.Am wondering, I just want a touch of crown of roots on days after showering (I only s&c 1x/week)--any tips for how to achieve this without mousse or hairspray?? I don't wanna wet hair daily as it fades the colour--Gel provides some lift but doesn't seem strong enough. I also work in a call center & wear a headset all day, as part of my job. Any tips would be awesome, be it hair products to use or accessories (I want to leave my hair loose & not have to wear braids/headbands every day)--thanks!

lapushka
June 20th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Maybe try some dry shampoo. It is known to give volume at the root.

feb26
June 20th, 2014, 09:42 AM
I do use dry shampoo for days when i want it down but it doesn't give much lift at all. I really want the lift EXACTLY like this pic--http://hair.allwomenstalk.com/gorgeous-hairstyles-for-women-over-40/5/. My hair already does the side curl pattern naturally, I've been advised to use velcro rollers in the past for volume but I'm up at 5am --too much work.

Katyusha
June 20th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Try and sleep with a bun on top of your head. Brush with your head down, and if greasy use dry shampoo/baby powder or something similar. This works for me ;)

feb26
June 20th, 2014, 10:13 AM
K will give it a try --this is what I'm using mostly-maybe someone w/knowledge will know if it's an ingredient issue-1st day looks lovely..http://beautyhigh.com/careproduct-obsession-garnier-surf-texture-paste/

Katyusha
June 20th, 2014, 10:20 AM
I don't like any products on my hair because it makes them greasy, heavy and sticky. I avoid silicones and SLS shampoos. I managed to stretch my washings and my hair looks much healthier. You could also try and put your hair in very high cinnamon bun on washday and have them little damp at that time. Preferably sleeping like that. It will give you tons of volume and curls. Try and avoid styling products and you'll see how it goes (just shampoo and conditioner).

BrendaLoan
June 20th, 2014, 10:25 AM
I saw this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktuwi8jlm2A) on youtube a few days ago. Maybe you could give it a try

feb26
June 20th, 2014, 10:32 AM
katuysha--I've tried no products & that is no-go..I only do that once in a blue moon as otherwise my hair just hangs in my face, no volume at all. lol, if i do let it airdry no products it feels v dry & gets v greasy fast as i'm constantly trying to move it out of my way. I did try baby powder before i started using dry shampoo & found it was not for me---my hair is naturally v v dark (almost black) & baby powder shows up quite visibly.def will check out youtube vid & try it out!

Katyusha
June 20th, 2014, 10:38 AM
It could be because it is lacking moisture, coating it in silicones will make them look better in short term but in long term no... And as for greasy scalp and dry ends I found out that the problem was in harsh shampoo and buildup. You should consider that to :/

meteor
June 20th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I do 2-4 cinnabuns on top of my head for a few hours to overnight. I always start with damp hair and let it completely air-dry in buns for better hold.
The more buns you make, the tighter the cur you'll get.
I don't like using product because it makes hair heavier and more coated, but I know dry shampoos can help. Wet-setting works just fine for me.

Another thing that helps is doing everything - drying, combing and styling hair - upside down. This really helps with root lift.
However, because I no longer have layers and my hair is heavy, root lift doesn't last too long for me.

feb26
June 20th, 2014, 11:23 AM
I'm sure the issue is not w/my shampoo/condish, I use Aveda & regularly do apple cider rinses to ensure buildup is taken care of. Will try the cinnabuns--I do already do as much of my styling upside down (it helps somewhat). Re the silicones comment--if they're good for short term but not long term, what would be my best here? I honestly don't know if the Garnier product is silicony or not? thanks--

Katyusha
June 20th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Is Aveda clarifying shampoo? ACV doesn't work as clarifier.

meteor
June 20th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I'm sure the issue is not w/my shampoo/condish, I use Aveda & regularly do apple cider rinses to ensure buildup is taken care of. Will try the cinnabuns--I do already do as much of my styling upside down (it helps somewhat). Re the silicones comment--if they're good for short term but not long term, what would be my best here? I honestly don't know if the Garnier product is silicony or not? thanks--

Yeah, silicones kill volume for me, they smooth out the cuticle like oils and are designed to give sleek results. Clarifying shampoos and shampoos with hydrolyzed protein really help get that volume.
Garnier conditioners (and some shampoos) tend to have cones. I found that whenever they don't, they write on the bottle that it's silicone-free, so they are easy to notice on a shelf. GF sells different products with different formulations in different countries, so a lot depends on where you live.
GF products generally help me more with smoothness rather than volume, but YMMV.

feb26
June 20th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Am in BC, will have to check bottle tonite. yes, aveda is def clarifying shampoo. its also sulphates free, v gentle but does v good job at cleansing. I use ACV to remove buildup, as previously stated :)

momschicklets
June 20th, 2014, 03:04 PM
I have a Caruso steam roller set lying around and so what I do is put 4 of the very largest ones around the crown of my head on day 2 or 3 to give the roots a nice lift. And then it lasts another day or 2 before I wash again. I figure it's not too damaging to my hair because it uses very little heat...mostly steam, and I only do it once a week or so to help with flat head :D I'm sure you could use this method with any very large foam rollers..you don't have to go out and buy a whole roller set. You could spritz your hair with a little warm water just to dampen, put the rollers in and either let dry to use your blow dryer on the cool setting. Then gently remove and viola....root volume! Anyway, here is a link to the rollers I sometimes use

http://www.amazon.com/Caruso-C97953-Molecular-Hairsetter-Rollers/dp/B0002JKPB8/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1403298215&sr=1-1&keywords=caruso+steam+rollers

Katyusha
June 21st, 2014, 05:33 AM
BrendaLoan I tryed this cornstarch and cocoa powder recipe that you shared and It's amazing. I added vanilla scent to it and it smells just wonderful. It doesn't add that much volume but it's amazing on greasy hair. Thanks for sharing! :o

renia22
June 21st, 2014, 10:59 AM
Is Aveda clarifying shampoo? ACV doesn't work as clarifier.

^This is true. ACV can help remove mineral build up, but it does *not* remove styling product build up. If the lack of volume issue is being exacerbated by styling product build up ACV will not help. It wouldn't hurt to wash once with a clarifying shampoo & start with a clean slate, see if that helps.

Cania
June 21st, 2014, 12:37 PM
Could you use a small bumpit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/261346587915?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0