PDA

View Full Version : Hemline/faerie tale ends help?

aforestfae
June 20th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Hello :)
I'm planning on growing my hair to waist or maybe a little longer and maintaining there but I really don't want a blunt, straight across hemline, I really don't like it for myself, I loved the look of faerie tale ends but I don't know if my hair will do that at waist or even how to trim them to maintain at waist while still having faerie tale ends.
My hair is currently slightly layered at the ends, ii/iii thick, 1b/1c and 3" from my goal length.

How could I get the look of faerie tale ends on my hair and how should I explain the cut to my hairdresser so she doesn't cut too much off?
Thank you :)

DweamGoiL
June 20th, 2014, 09:26 AM
I would take a picture of what you want to achieve with you. However, for most people with thick hair, the hair does not taper until it gets really long. If you are 3" away from your goal length and the hair is not visibly tapering already then odds are you will need much more length in order for your hair to get fairy tale ends naturally. I know hairdressers can thin out the hair and cut it to a V shape to achieve this look, but you need to make sure it is a very skilled stylist so it comes out the way you want. If you don't want a blunt hemline, you can also do a soft U with some really long soft layers. It will give the hair some movement and will take away some of the bulk and the harshness of the straight edge of a blunt hemline.

Larki
June 20th, 2014, 10:27 AM
I thought you just got fairytale ends by only S&Ding, not trimming?

Anje
June 20th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I thought you just got fairytale ends by only S&Ding, not trimming?

To a point, but not all hair tapers enough to have fairytale ends at waist. With thicker hair, it's even less likely. Furthermore, if she wants to stay at waist, she'll almost certainly have to trim, which will thicken up the ends.

OP, I imagine you'll have to simulate fairytale ends by layering your hair if you want to maintain at waist. There's a recent thread on "compact cuts" floating around. The standard ponytail on top of the head and cut the ends gives substantial layering and will probably be about your best bet for the look if you want to cut your hair yourself. Alternatively, just let your hair keep growing and don't trim it anymore, and eventually your ends will fairytale. At what length, though, is anyone's guess.

Sharysa
June 20th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Thick-haired person here! I love fairytale ends as well, because they keep my braid from looking stubby and they help keep my waves from frizzing, but my hair grows in to a nearly blunt u-shape.

I just S&D the crap out of my hemline before or after I reshape it to keep the fairy-tale ends. It especially helps if you do a few braids (I like doing 2 or 3 on each side) and then trim a bit off the edges of the tassels.

gus
June 21st, 2014, 12:19 AM
I had a similar question about this - around what length do you think it's "safe" to start trying to trim your own ends?

I'm a little past waist (I think the unofficial designation would be "buttcheek length") and although I've been going to the same hairstylist for years, the last time I went she took *way* too much off and it's made me leery of going back. However, I don't know if I'm ready to take the plunge in terms of cutting my own hair, even though what I want is the fairy-tale "messy" ends.

Can anyone provide a little hand-holding?

Sharysa
June 23rd, 2014, 11:32 AM
Past waist should be fine for self trimming, especially with Feye's method. Just be very careful and only trim a little bit (1 inch, maybe 2) at a time. That way if you mess up, it's either invisible to most people, or it's only going to take a couple months to grow out and you can still hide it in braids/buns.

Also, just realized that my "make a few braids and trim a bit off the tassels" thing might not be clear: If you want fairytale ends instead of "haircut gone terribly wrong," make sure to trim the tassel in a rounded or v-shape and NOT straight across. The former looks much more natural for some reason, and the latter just looks weird.

cobden 28
June 23rd, 2014, 11:37 AM
Pardon my asking what may seem a silly question, but what are 'faerie tale ends' ?

Anje
June 23rd, 2014, 11:48 AM
Fairytale ends are ends that naturally thin away to nothing, instead of being a sharp "hair stops here" cut hemline. Often, the hair has a U or V shape to the ends because that's how it naturally grew.

Here's a post with a particularly pretty set of fairytale ends! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123666&page=2&p=2743542&viewfull=1#post2743542) Just happened across it, and it seemed worth mentioning.

aforestfae
June 23rd, 2014, 11:51 AM
I've never trimmed my own hair, I'm worried I'll cut a big chunk off, when trimming braids do you have to keep the hair as even and tight as possible while braiding to get the ends even and does the placement of the braids (such as starting more at the back of the head) have much of an impact?
I don't know if I am brave enough to trim my own hair but I'm also a little nervous asking my hairdresser for the v shape hemline as last time I ended up with a bit more than I wanted cut off

Anje
June 23rd, 2014, 12:11 PM
I would suggest you start by just trimming your hair in a mild V hemline or with a compact cut. The compact cut for layers will probably give you results closer to fairytale ends. I'm not familiar with the braid trimming technique, but it strikes me as something that could give bad results if you're not familiar with it.

Here are the instructions for Feye's self trim. (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) This is probably the method that most LHCers who cut their own hair use.

Here's a recent thread about doing a "compact cut" for layers. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123666) The technique is very similar to the one Feye describes for a straight-across cut, but the difference is that you comb your hair forward and make the ponytail at your forehead instead of at the back of your head.

Whatever you do, don't cut too much. Snip off a little (maybe 2 inches for the compact cut, since you'll be making layers), check the results, and trim a little bit more if you want to. Keep rechecking, and don't worry if it's a little uneven. No one will be able to tell.

AmyBeth
June 23rd, 2014, 01:35 PM
Feye's self trim method is almost fool proof. You'd have to really TRY to mess it up. Just trim it millimeter by millimeter and you really can't go wrong. Although trimming and fairy tale ends generally don't mix! They only happen naturally when you don't trim. When I began growing, I had a very layered BSL cut and had my hairdresser cut in fairy tale ends and it looked completely natural. Make sure you consult with the hairdresser thoroughly begore she starts cutting to make sure she knows what you want! I was able, through self-microtrimming, to even out the rest of my layers gradually without losing substantial length all at once, to have a blunt U hemline.

Sharysa
June 23rd, 2014, 08:46 PM
Yeah, just trim your hair in a basic V or U shape first before trying to do more things with fairy-tale ends.

I'm probably one of the very few who do anything resembling my "trim the braid tassels" method, because it's flying in the face of what most people here do--I do it to let my waves hang better and GET RID of thickness, but most people want a blunt cut for thicker-looking hair.

If your hair isn't as thick as mine (3-4 inch ponytail), you probably shouldn't try this until you're used to trimming your own hair and are used your hair's qualities.

aforestfae
June 24th, 2014, 02:03 AM
I would love to get this (http://38.media.tumblr.com/22d07eeed74f2c6f4b546f2f760b1a22/tumblr_mviialQ0H91rradoko1_500.jpg) look, but my hair is thick (4" ponytail) with a slight wave 1b/1c I think, would it look right?

Would it be a good idea to get my hairdresser to cut my hair into a layered v shape and then maintain the shape myself if I just want a little trim? I really don't want to come away with hair three inches shorter though as I am so close to my goal length.

Cania
June 24th, 2014, 02:39 AM
Thick wavy-staight, here! That picture shows a deep V very similar to my hair cut, just longer, and for what it's worth I love it ^_^ It brings out the waves really nicely.

Self trimming is easy as pie, it is just taking the plunge that's scary. I don't see many people here who have had disasters.

cathair
June 24th, 2014, 05:40 AM
I think the picture looks more like a deep V cut than fairy tail ends really. It's the whole head of hair that tapers in that photo, rather than individual clumps or strands. I think if you asked for or gave yourself a V cut then left it for a couple of months you would get what you want :)

Dreams_in_Pink
June 24th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Here's a recent thread about doing a "compact cut" for layers. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123666) The technique is very similar to the one Feye describes for a straight-across cut, but the difference is that you comb your hair forward and make the ponytail at your forehead instead of at the back of your head.

This is what came to my mind first. Haven't tried it myself though.

aforestfae
June 24th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Thank you for all the help :)
I think I will get my hairdresser to cut my hair into a v shape while trying to keep my hair as long as possible.
I'm nervous about getting it cut as I haven't since November and really don't want to lose length.

aforestfae
June 24th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Does a v shaped cut help make thick hair more manageable?

Anje
June 24th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Does a v shaped cut help make thick hair more manageable?

I'm not certain (don't have a V or thick hair :lol:), but I'm not convinced that it would. As with all layered cuts, when you go to put it up, you're going to end up with layers sticking out. With a cut like the picture, I'm imagining braids that look like centipedes. It probably will look very nice down and will have less weight to it, plus a lot of movement. However, you'll find that around here a lot of us consider how well we can wear our hair up, because many of us do keep it up much of the time.

That said, it's a gorgeous picture. If that's the cut you want, take the pic (or better, several like it) to your hairdresser. Indicate on your body where you want the shortest layers and the longest to be. Be explicit and be prepared to walk out with it half-done if the hairdresser isn't following your instructions. (And if they do, be sure to tip well!)

aforestfae
June 24th, 2014, 10:10 AM
As with all layered cuts, when you go to put it up, you're going to end up with layers sticking out. With a cut like the picture, I'm imagining braids that look like centipedes.

:hmm: I didn't think about that, I was hoping it would make crown braids lighter and easier to do, but they might just look worse... But at least it would look better down:undecided

Sharysa
June 24th, 2014, 11:42 AM
I have a fairly deep u-hem (sides are roughly waist, middle is hip) and it's definitely made my hair easier to manage. I don't have triangle head anymore! Plus my hair's lighter, and I have a very natural taper to my braids.

V-hems are pretty similar to u-hems, but if you make them as deep as the picture (looks like it starts at shoulder), I don't think you'd be able to braid or bun well. Super-deep u- or v-hems have only one real point in looking impressive when they're down, especially when they're layered--they're pretty impractical if you need to contain your hair in any manner besides a ponytail. Unless you're prepared for a really long time with single Dutch or French braids.

However, there's plenty of leeway between super-v/u-hems and blunt cuts. Again, don't cut into a super-v hem right away--see if you like a slight or moderate shape first, with only a couple inches of difference at a time. You can always take more off later, but you'll spend at least a few months growing something too short back out.

Cania
June 24th, 2014, 12:34 PM
I just tuck my layers in when I braid, it doesn't look like a centipede :shrug:

mira-chan
June 24th, 2014, 04:32 PM
:hmm: I didn't think about that, I was hoping it would make crown braids lighter and easier to do, but they might just look worse... But at least it would look better down:undecided

Layers and crown braids are not friends. I have thick naturally fairytailed hair into a V. I can't do a wrap around crown braid and it tilts my head to the thicker side. Not a nice or comfortable look. If you want a lighter braid then leave some hair loose and braid a part of it. The hair style in my avatar is 1/4 of hair braided and wrapped around, the rest braided in another braid and bunned but this could be left in a ponytail or let loose so it looks like you have a braid headband.

aforestfae
June 25th, 2014, 01:37 AM
I can't do a wrap around crown braid and it tilts my head to the thicker side.

My hair does this, it's so uncomfortable and heavy. But I do a lace crown braid as my hair isn't long enough to braid and then wrap around my head

The hair style in my avatar is 1/4 of hair braided and wrapped around, the rest braided in another braid and bunned but this could be left in a ponytail or let loose so it looks like you have a braid headband.
Your hair is beautiful :)

mira-chan
June 25th, 2014, 05:53 PM
My hair does this, it's so uncomfortable and heavy. But I do a lace crown braid as my hair isn't long enough to braid and then wrap around my head
Your hair is beautiful :)

Thank you. :) Unfortunately my hair has been too long for lace crown braids for as long as I remember (attempts led to wars with hair) so I had to resort to creative means of achieving and even balanced crown braid. :D

lapushka
June 26th, 2014, 07:09 AM
My hair's cut according to one of the compact cut methods for layers. I chose the one for shortest layers (ponytail on forehead method). My layers go all the way from APL+ to hip+ and my hair ends in a V. It doesn't look that thinned out, though (yet), but I have a lot of hair. And no, I don't have bits sticking out of my bun (LWB).

aforestfae
June 27th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I am getting my hair cut into a v shape!
I am so nervous that she's going to cut it shorter that I want, I'm so close to my goal length :bigeyes:

Applegirl84
June 27th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Good luck!

aforestfae
June 27th, 2014, 07:50 AM

aforestfae
June 27th, 2014, 09:10 AM
It's cut, it feels so short now, but it's only about an inch shorter maybe two

Anje
June 27th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Sounds about perfect, then! You'll gain back that bit of length in no time (especially since it's summer -- most people find their hair grows quickly in the summer).

How's it look? Do you like it?

aforestfae
June 27th, 2014, 10:28 AM
:)
I do like it, not a dramatic V shape but it certainly looks better than before, my hair doesn't look good one length

Sharysa
June 27th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Ooh, you got your hair cut! Any pictures?

aforestfae
June 27th, 2014, 01:51 PM
None yet, I meant to take a before pic and forgot :doh: But if I can I'll take one when I've styled it :)

aforestfae
June 28th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Ok still no pictures of my hair (I put it in a sock bun after getting it cut as it was really fluffy and everywhere) But I just took it down and I absolutely love it!
The front sections are short enough to leave out of an updo to frame my face, it's curled well and it feels so silky soft, more than it did before.
But now I want to keep the front this length and grown the back to my goal length of 31"which is just past waist (it's cut back to 26.5") which may end up being quite a dramatic V shape