PDA

View Full Version : Wet hair sticking to back?

skeletonous
June 20th, 2014, 08:56 AM
I thought I'd ask this before my hair gets long enough to do this so I'll be somewhat prepared :p

When my hair was long, to me right now that's BSL and beyond, I always hated it when it was wet and it would stick to my back because I didn't want to wrap it up in a towel and I always left it to air dry.

Having fine hair and a lot of it, it holds a lot of water in it :laugh: so even if I gently squeezed what seemed like most of it out, there would always be more. And it took a long time to dry.

Any tips? I have heard good things about using a soft t-shirt instead of a towel for wrapping.

:flower:

Leeloo
June 20th, 2014, 09:04 AM
I noticed that if you squeeze the water out, then wrap in a t shirt for like 15 20 minutes, then hair won't drip as much.

lapushka
June 20th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Squeeze as much water out as you can, then leave it in a microfiber turbie for 15 to 20 min. (even for 30 if you want), then let it airdry. It won't be wet, just damp.

Kaelee
June 20th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Squeeze as much water out as you can, then leave it in a microfiber turbie for 15 to 20 min. (even for 30 if you want), then let it airdry. It won't be wet, just damp.

This is what I do, except I just use a regular towel. I leave it on as long as my neck can take the weight of wet hair + towel. :laugh: Some days that's longer than others.

skeletonous
June 20th, 2014, 10:12 AM
This is what I do, except I just use a regular towel. I leave it on as long as my neck can take the weight of wet hair + towel. :laugh: Some days that's longer than others.

That's partially why I didn't really ever put it in a towel :laugh: I'm excited to try the turbie and the shirt ideas though!

Larki
June 20th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I wrap mine in a towel for five minutes or so (just as long as it takes to get dressed), and I get dressed ASAP to get the hair off of my back. I really want a bathrobe, so I wouldn't have to rush getting dressed and could just hang out in the robe until my hair was mostly dry.

Anje
June 20th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I wrap mine in a towel for about 2 minutes, turn the towel so I can get a dry section, and turban again for a couple minutes more, then airdry. Some people prefer those turby-towels and such, but they're too small for my head and get saturated way too fast, so I don't bother. Anyway, that takes care of all the drips and stickiness, and cuts my airdrying time down to about an hour.

meteor
June 20th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Hm, it's hard to completely avoid that wet hair sticking to scalp problem. If you want to dry that area really quickly, you could quickly blow-dry just the scalp/nape on cool setting, with head upside down. Just a few minutes should be helpful.

Personally, I gently squeeze out water with my hands and then (it's probably controversial) head-bang once or twice: it's insane how much water you can get out of hair quickly that way! Then I just air-dry. Sitting in warm area with some draft or fan really helps, as well as using this fanning technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbgB6WhMl4Y

skeletonous
June 20th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Hm, it's hard to completely avoid that wet hair sticking to scalp problem. If you want to dry that area really quickly, you could quickly blow-dry just the scalp/nape on cool setting, with head upside down. Just a few minutes should be helpful.

Personally, I gently squeeze out water with my hands and then (it's probably controversial) head-bang once or twice: it's insane how much water you can get out of hair quickly that way! Then I just air-dry. Sitting in warm area with some draft or fan really helps, as well as using this fanning technique:

I had actually just discovered the fanning technique and didn't know what to call it :D it really seems to help for me, hopefully it still does when my hair gets longer.

meteor
June 20th, 2014, 01:04 PM
I had actually just discovered the fanning technique and didn't know what to call it :D it really seems to help for me, hopefully it still does when my hair gets longer.
Yes, it's great! We have a member Madora with extremely long and thick hair who originally described this technique, and she dries her hair in just 20 (outdoors) - 45 (indoors) minutes!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=76911 Check post # 3 for details.

skeletonous
June 20th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Pretty amazing stuff :D