PDA

View Full Version : Good hair care - for shorties!

lapushka
June 20th, 2014, 02:19 AM
I thought the "shorties" (take that to any length you will) might like another thread. I noticed that some aren't necessarily on the boards to grow their hair long, or some might have chopped back and might just be interested in the nice hair care advice given on this site, or present on this site. This is a thread for you, to discuss your hair care and lack of wanting to grow long, or need to chop back. Don't (above all) feel guilty for not growing or staying long. That's not what it's about on this site, I'm sure.

Anyway. I've thought about cutting short more than once, and might some day actually have this done. It would be nice if there were a thread dedicated to hair care - no matter what.

luluj
June 20th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Great idea for a thread, lapushka, thank-you so much! :blossom:

If you were to cut your hair some day, lapushka, how short would you go?

Long story short.....I came to TLHC with a pixie, grew my hair to mid-back length, cut back to APL, then to shoulder, twice, then the big chop to neck. I took a break from the forums for a while and just recently came back (so happy to be back!!):grouphug:

I am now growing back to BSL, where I plan to maintain......maybe!:laugh: If my hair is in good health and easy to care for once reaching BSL, waist may be an option.

To keep my shoulder length hair healthy I do my best to eat healthy and get plenty of exercise, not the strenuous type, just brisk walking, yoga and some light weight training. I handle my hair as if it is fine lace and when the ends do start to show some wear and tear, I trim.

Hopefully others will join us and keep this thread active.:agree:

ErinLeigh
June 20th, 2014, 06:59 AM
I will join. I love this board but feel guilty for posting here since I have been cutting shorter, not growing longer.
I do not want to grow out until I am happy with my hair in general. I want to know what color I want to be, what texture and get it healthy before growing out.
I started here a little below APL and am now barely shoulder. I feel I do it backwards and I feel my posts are a waste here as no one wants advise or comments from a shorty (or one who does damaging practices)

I am here because I love hair. I love products, I love hairstyles. I cant find a "general hair board' (please point me to one if there is one anywhere) and I really like the people here.
I feel like I don't belong more often than not because I don't know if I want really long hair. I want APL length back but that is not considered long here. I also don't want long hair at any cost. If its not looking optimal I will keep cutting until its in good enough shape to look good long. I feel I can be happy at an length as long as hair looks and feels healthy.

My hair journey is about ...
finding a way to color without damage that can be prevented (multiple processes)
finding a stylist who can cut my hair exactly how I want without major mistakes
growing hair that looks good
learning to style my very fine hair

I have a tendancy to let stylists do too many processes. I often get a really bad color that needs correcting and damages hair. I do not want natural hair. I want colored hair done right.
I do not want advice on "loving my hair color for what it is." I want advise how to communicate my needs and advise on what dyed color looks good so I can pick one color and stick with it.
I want advise on gentle hair practices, updos, heat free styling, ingredients to help get hair in better condition, herbal hair care, natural dyes, working with multi textures hair and I seek general support for hair questions, insecurities and methods.

Now for what I do to keep my hair healthy? Not a lot right now. I work 12-14 graveyard shifts at a highly stressful job (aviation)
I am so beat my exercise has fallen to the side, my nutrition is hindered as I am too tired to shop. I have extreme stress due to my son which is horrible on my health...so right now all I have are ingredients and products to help my hair. I seek any ideas to help with that.

I hope that during my time her maybe things will change. Maybe I will want longer hair. I guess I am just so on the fence I don't know..and want fellowship while I sort thru it all.
I feel I have moved backwards..not caring enough for my hair as I should..and I hope I get inspiration to try harder. I kind of gave up recently and I have been unhappy about that.

So now that the introduction is out of the way...it will be nice if this thread gets popular and we shorties have a place to navigate our frustrations and triumphs together.
This is a really thoughtful thread idea and I truly appreciate it. Especially considering it was started by someone on the other side of the fence.

lapushka
June 20th, 2014, 07:03 AM
Great idea for a thread, lapushka, thank-you so much! :blossom:

If you were to cut your hair some day, lapushka, how short would you go?

You're welcome, luluj!

O gosh, I don't know. BSL for starters. Because that's quite a big chunk off already. And the absolute shortest is a chin length bob (loved my bob, not so much the maintenance).

Long story short.....I came to TLHC with a pixie, grew my hair to mid-back length, cut back to APL, then to shoulder, twice, then the big chop to neck. I took a break from the forums for a while and just recently came back (so happy to be back!!):grouphug:

I am now growing back to BSL, where I plan to maintain......maybe!:laugh: If my hair is in good health and easy to care for once reaching BSL, waist may be an option.

To keep my shoulder length hair healthy I do my best to eat healthy and get plenty of exercise, not the strenuous type, just brisk walking, yoga and some light weight training. I handle my hair as if it is fine lace and when the ends do start to show some wear and tear, I trim.

Hopefully others will join us and keep this thread active.:agree:

I hope you reach BSL soon! It's nice to be on the journey to a certain goal. Mine now is TBL (if I don't chop before then, but I doubt it). I want to reach TBL first, and have about 2 inches left to go.

lapushka
June 20th, 2014, 07:08 AM
I will join. I love this board but feel guilty for posting here since I have been cutting shorter, not growing longer.

Nothing to feel guilty about. To tell you the truth, it can be frustrating, even for those of us out here on LHC to see that members keep cutting back instead of growing longer, but hey... guys, it's life, it happens! And some people might just love it here just for the nice atmosphere and the great hair care tips, like you ErinLeigh.

So now that the introduction is out of the way...it will be nice if this thread gets popular and we shorties have a place to navigate our frustrations and triumphs together.
This is a really thoughtful thread idea and I truly appreciate it. Especially considering it was started by someone on the other side of the fence.

Hey, I'm "only" hip+ (yes the + matters :lol:). Those with knee length or with ankle length, now that is something!

luluj
June 20th, 2014, 07:35 AM
ErinLeigh, I have quoted you here.....

"I am here because I love hair. I love products, I love hairstyles. I cant find a "general hair board' (please point me to one if there is one anywhere) and I really like the people here.
I feel like I don't belong more often than not because I don't know if I want really long hair. I want APL length back but that is not considered long here. I also don't want long hair at any cost. If its not looking optimal I will keep cutting until its in good enough shape to look good long. I feel I can be happy at an length as long as hair looks and feels healthy."

You most certainly do belong here, you love hair, hairstyles and mostly you like the people here. You want to get back to APL with healthy hair that you love, just like I do. We have a lot in common, actually.

I read all of your posts because I find them to be very interesting and informative, like so many other members here do.

I have been a member since 2009 and yet here I am longing for APL, and with the support and encouragement that I receive here, I will make it to APL. If I have to trim along the way, so be it. Like you, I can be happy at any length as long as my hair is healthy.

Mimione001
June 21st, 2014, 02:01 AM
I think i belong here too, because i'm still trying to figure out what to do with my hair. I want to grow out my layers en would really like hair pas my shoulders but i keep trimming it back above shoulder every time someone makes a comment. Strange right? Just insecure i guess.
Same with hair dye and hennaglosses. I'm to insecure to show my gray hairs, it's a struggle.
I read many posts every day and i am stille learning, really like the way everybody is helping each other here, but i am still very far away from being a long hair! I am a wannabe :D

ErinLeigh
June 21st, 2014, 03:12 AM
Welcome!!! Can't wait to read your future posts. I too am not ready to go gray and I get so frustrated with coloring at the same time. 40s really becomes tough as you find yourself at many new crossroads.

Luluj thank you so much for kind words and support. I love looking at your updos so I am hoping to glean lots of info watching you do them. I am hopeless at arranging my hair and have lots to learn.

I am also realy eager to share routines, favorite products, ideas and to investigate the world of layers and removal of them.
I am currently growing mine out and it's hard not to be tempted to cut them back to remove some more damaged pieces. I only have about 2 inches of layers left and if I succeed removing them I will be layer free for first time in probably 30 years (if ever)

Beezle
June 21st, 2014, 03:25 AM
I'm a wannabe too, Mimione. I too have struggled through the awful growing out period from ear length and from dyed to natural and now I'm at bsl. Along the way it has been very tempting to give in to the criticism at cut back to 'age-appropriate' hair. Unfortunately I have to admit that the criticisms were right - I don't have enough hair, especially at the front where I most need it, to manage anything more than a severe old-lady-look bun in my baby-fine, sparse hair. Short of transplants(!) there is no way to remedy this but maybe I'll just age into it! Nevertheless, the struggle has been worth it. For the first time in my life I have 'long' hair! (Yes i do really accept it's not long in anyones eyes, but for me it is) And I feel it's an achievement.

I'm very interested to learn ways to keep hair healthy, other peoples input about what works for them, and some styles that even an inept person can manage - the inept person being me, of course.

I greatly admire luluj's lively and full hair - it's such a bold statement - and I'm envious.

Nellon
June 21st, 2014, 03:51 AM
Oh, what a good idea for a thread! *yay* *happy*

I'm only at collarbone, trying to find the right shade of henna to get that orangey/strawberry-blonde shade (naturally ash blonde but I feel henna suits my complexion and personality better). I have been growing my hair for one and a half year (or is it two and half?) :) I started at about cheek-bone-lenght having had it bleached from black, chopped off, dyed with chemical strawberry-blonde shade.
Now I use henna, CO-wash and have never ever been as happy with my hair! I know it's not long, but for me it feels long and I honestly never thought I could have hair this nice and long. :) It's nothing special compared to those with really thick, long hair, but it's the best I ever had. And it's thanks to the long hair community!

Nellon
June 21st, 2014, 03:56 AM
Oh, and: ErinLeigh: I'm sorry to hear about your difficult situation. I know what it's like to be under a lot of stress, and I really do hope you can find some breathing space and be able to take care of yourself. My small (and stupid?) advice is to take extra B-vitamin and magnesium since it helps your body to handle stress. Also for me I find cod-liver-oil to help me calm down and manage stress better. And iron supplements help me stay strong and have more energy, this is especially important for us women! Most of all though, one needs to find a stress-free living situation for the long run, that being much easier said than done. Oh, and walking helps me handle stress, especially in beautiful calming surroundings such as a forest. (probably I'm not of much help, just wanted to send some sympathy).

Mimione001
June 21st, 2014, 07:48 AM
ErinLeigh, i understand the coloring frustrations. I really want to stop every time i did it and when the time comes that the roots are showing i don't know what to do. I see so many grays! But i really don't know how "bad" it is, i am just afraid.
At the same time, i admire the grey or silver hairs from the members here, i wish i was already there..
Beezle, you are further on your way, good for you. Will i ever reach BSL? Don't know, but i can always dream right? Do you have silver hairs as well in your natural hair color? I am wondering, is your bun in fine hair better at bsl hair? I have very fine hair also and people keep telling me that it needs to be short (you know what they say).
I try henna-glosses to keep most of my natural dark-blonde color and give my grays some color. I use one tablespoon hazelnut-brown from Khadi and ons tablespoon red henna (brandless, not very strong), mix it with conditioner in a small bowl, just enough to cover all my fine hair at almost shoulderlength. Keep it in for an hour. Worked well the last time i did it. I hope to keep doing it, so that i don't go back to chemical coloring.

luluj
June 21st, 2014, 08:50 AM
I think i belong here too, because i'm still trying to figure out what to do with my hair. I want to grow out my layers en would really like hair pas my shoulders but i keep trimming it back above shoulder every time someone makes a comment. Strange right? Just insecure i guess.
Same with hair dye and hennaglosses. I'm to insecure to show my gray hairs, it's a struggle.
I read many posts every day and i am stille learning, really like the way everybody is helping each other here, but i am still very far away from being a long hair! I am a wannabe :D

I don't think we ever stop learning when it comes to hair care, Mimione001. I like the the way we all try to help each other, too, that's the beauty is TLHC. You will know, instinctively, when you are ready to show your grays. Try not to let others sway you when it comes to how you want to wear your hair. It is your hair to wear any way you please.

Welcome!!! Can't wait to read your future posts. I too am not ready to go gray and I get so frustrated with coloring at the same time. 40s really becomes tough as you find yourself at many new crossroads.

Luluj thank you so much for kind words and support. I love looking at your updos so I am hoping to glean lots of info watching you do them. I am hopeless at arranging my hair and have lots to learn.

I am also realy eager to share routines, favorite products, ideas and to investigate the world of layers and removal of them.
I am currently growing mine out and it's hard not to be tempted to cut them back to remove some more damaged pieces. I only have about 2 inches of layers left and if I succeed removing them I will be layer free for first time in probably 30 years (if ever)

You are very welcome, ErinLeigh.

While you are trying to grow out your layers, I am planning to have mine freshened up. No length taken off, though.

? For the first time in my life I have 'long' hair! (Yes i do really accept it's not long in anyones eyes, but for me it is)

I greatly admire luluj's lively and full hair - it's such a bold statement - and I'm envious.

Congratulations on having long hair for the first time in your life, Beezle!! BSL is very long in my eyes. Enjoy every minute of it!

Thank-you for the compliment, I am very flattered!

Oh, what a good idea for a thread! *yay* *happy*

I'm only at collarbone, trying to find the right shade of henna to get that orangey/strawberry-blonde shade (naturally ash blonde but I feel henna suits my complexion and personality better). I have been growing my hair for one and a half year (or is it two and half?) :) I started at about cheek-bone-lenght having had it bleached from black, chopped off, dyed with chemical strawberry-blonde shade.
Now I use henna, CO-wash and have never ever been as happy with my hair! I know it's not long, but for me it feels long and I honestly never thought I could have hair this nice and long. :) It's nothing special compared to those with really thick, long hair, but it's the best I ever had. And it's thanks to the long hair community!

Ah, but your hair is special, Nellon! I love the look of henna, it makes the hair look so shiny and healthy and the different shades are beautiful! Just the fact that your hair is the best you've ever had is awesome. I guess we all owe a lot to this community.

meteor
June 21st, 2014, 01:31 PM
I love this board but feel guilty for posting here since I have been cutting shorter, not growing longer. [...] I feel I do it backwards and I feel my posts are a waste here as no one wants advise or comments from a shorty (or one who does damaging practices). [...]
I feel like I don't belong more often than not because I don't know if I want really long hair.

Erin, you must be kidding! I always look forward to your posts, because they are always very helpful and informative! And I'm sure there are lots of long-haired folks here who really appreciate your advice. The actual hair length you choose to have is totally up to you and has no relevance to the fact that you know a lot about hair care! :)

Now for what I do to keep my hair healthy? Not a lot right now. I work 12-14 graveyard shifts at a highly stressful job (aviation)
I am so beat my exercise has fallen to the side, my nutrition is hindered as I am too tired to shop. I have extreme stress due to my son which is horrible on my health...so right now all I have are ingredients and products to help my hair. I seek any ideas to help with that.

Wow, that's a ton of stress! My recommendation would be to take any free minute you can get to get sleep. Sleep is definitely a priority, and scientists show time and time again that nothing replaces it. Nutrition is extremely important, too. But if I had to choose between getting proper sleep or exercising, I'd take sleep any time of the day and start exercising again when I'm less busy.
The fact that you aren't doing much to hair right now is probably a very good for your hair, since it gets processed in salons. So benign neglect is a nice change of pace and will bring you closer to your APL goal. Think of it as a nice treatment for your hair while you are getting those levels of work load under control.
Best of luck! :D

BrightEyes
June 21st, 2014, 01:45 PM
What a great thread!! Thanks Lapushka for starting it. I've been a member for 4 years, and have yet to reach APL :( I can usually grow to shoulder length, but then several things seem to always happen. My hair starts to drive me crazy because it has reached that awkward length that flips weirdly on my shoulders and never sits right. And I start seeing cute bobs everywhere I go. Usually something also happens in my life that makes me feel like I need a quick change and something I can be in control of. So of course, chop goes my hair!!

I'm almost at shoulder length now and am trying so VERY hard to not chop again. My life is pretty stressful now and feeling out of control. I'm trying very hard to not take it out on my hair this time. My goal is at least BSL, but maybe WL.

Thankfully I love my color and never intend to change it. I do highlight, and I am completely happy with that. I know it's damaging, but I try to take good care of my hair in other ways to compensate. I just need to stay away from the scissors. I still have some pretty hair toys I hope to one day use :pray:

lapushka
June 21st, 2014, 01:49 PM
Erin, you must be kidding! I always look forward to your posts, because they are always very helpful and informative! And I'm sure there are lots of long-haired folks here who really appreciate your advice. The actual hair length you choose to have is totally up to you and has no relevance to the fact that you know a lot about hair care! :)

Yes, Erin, I have to say I love your posts as well. They are always on point and informative!

What a great thread!! Thanks Lapushka for starting it. I've been a member for 4 years, and have yet to reach APL :( I can usually grow to shoulder length, but then several things seem to always happen. My hair starts to drive me crazy because it has reached that awkward length that flips weirdly on my shoulders and never sits right. And I start seeing cute bobs everywhere I go. Usually something also happens in my life that makes me feel like I need a quick change and something I can be in control of. So of course, chop goes my hair!!

You're welcome. I was that way before I reached BSL. Always wanting to cut, never getting past awkward stages. Until I had a hair dye disaster, and from then on I was sick and tired of it all. It just grew after that. Magically.

Nellon
June 21st, 2014, 02:09 PM
Ah, but your hair is special, Nellon! I love the look of henna, it makes the hair look so shiny and healthy and the different shades are beautiful! Just the fact that your hair is the best you've ever had is awesome. I guess we all owe a lot to this community.

Aw, that's such a sweet thing to say! :) Thank you! Yeah, I guess we are all really grateful we found this community huh?! :) Just wanted to say that your hair is awesome, that's what I want my hair to be like when I get a bit older (unfortunarely my hair is straight-ish)! Your hair has a kind of magic fairytale look to it!
Do you do CO or wash with regular shampoo?

BonnieU
June 21st, 2014, 02:09 PM
I always seem to find knowledge and inspiration from the longies and the shorties, so I'm glad to see this thread born. I feel like no matter where we are in our journey, and no matter our personal destination, it's always helpful to hear from each other. In the end, it's all for the love of hair, isn't it :D

Nellon
June 21st, 2014, 02:11 PM

I'm almost at shoulder length now and am trying so VERY hard to not chop again. My life is pretty stressful now and feeling out of control. I'm trying very hard to not take it out on my hair this time. My goal is at least BSL, but maybe WL.

Thankfully I love my color and never intend to change it. I do highlight, and I am completely happy with that. I know it's damaging, but I try to take good care of my hair in other ways to compensate. I just need to stay away from the scissors. I still have some pretty hair toys I hope to one day use :pray:

We'll try and keep you on the straight and narrow path :) Just come and check with us all on the boards before you chop and I'm sure you'll get talked out of it and get motivation to keep going.

BrightEyes
June 21st, 2014, 02:13 PM
Your hair has a kind of magic fairytale look to it!

I agree with this. I've often thought the same thing about your hair, luluj

I feel like no matter where we are in our journey, and no matter our personal destination, it's always helpful to hear from each other. In the end, it's all for the love of hair, isn't it :D

I love this, it's so true!!

BrightEyes
June 21st, 2014, 02:14 PM
Double post

BrightEyes
June 21st, 2014, 02:21 PM
You're welcome. I was that way before I reached BSL. Always wanting to cut, never getting past awkward stages. Until I had a hair dye disaster, and from then on I was sick and tired of it all. It just grew after that. Magically.

Yes, it seems like hair dye disasters often have that result. I'm hoping I don't have that problem, as I love my hair color. I just need a good dose of patience!

We'll try and keep you on the straight and narrow path :) Just come and check with us all on the boards before you chop and I'm sure you'll get talked out of it and get motivation to keep going.

Thank you! I've actually come here before when I wanted to chop and all the kind people here convinced me not to. I need to remember to do that before I head for the closest salon. Because I ALWAYS regret it, even if I convince myself beforehand I'm really a short-hair person at heart :rolleyes:

Nellon
June 21st, 2014, 02:35 PM
Thank you! I've actually come here before when I wanted to chop and all the kind people here convinced me not to. I need to remember to do that before I head for the closest salon. Because I ALWAYS regret it, even if I convince myself beforehand I'm really a short-hair person at heart :rolleyes:

I know the way it goes, I've been there, done that. Life's ups and downs gets to you and you want to change something quickly just so you can feel in control. It's sad that it's always our hair that suffers from that feeling :( I used to think that I'll grow it but keep it layered. Then I thought I'd better get rid of layers, then I changed my mind haha, and cut layers once again! Needless to say my hair never grew that long! But this time I made my mind up! No more layers, just grow! I think it gets easier when you see that it's working and your hair starts to become something that makes you feel good and that you want to keep! Surely you'll manage to resist scissors this time!

bunnylake
June 21st, 2014, 02:41 PM
Yay!!!!
I joined LHC with the intention of growing my hair to classic length. I grew it to tailbone, got bored with it, and needed a change. I chopped to chin length last December and now it just about grazes my shoulders. I LOOOOVE LHC but I am never growing my hair long (by LHC standards) again. What I learned from my experience is that I love long hair on other people, but it doesn't work for me. With my long hair I could never get any volume at all, I constantly worried about retaining the length, henna was a huge pain in the butt, and I was generally unhappy with the way I looked most of the time.
Short hair works for me. It literally transformed the way I think about myself. It is so much thicker, more voluminous, bouncy and healthy looking. I had no idea how much my self image would change when I cut my hair.
Now I am growing it to about APL I guess, give or take an inch. I might grow out my layers a bit. I'm enjoying playing with different products right now. It's like I'm rediscovering what's fun about hair. Yay for being a shorty!

bunnylake
June 21st, 2014, 02:42 PM
Does anyone here use a serum or a leave in of any kind? Is it necessary for shorter hair?

merrow
June 21st, 2014, 02:54 PM
Thank you for creating this opportunity to share, lapushka!

I just went to the salon today and had my hair cut to just above my shoulders. It looks nice, and far healthier than it was before, but I feel a bit put out that now I'll have to wait longer to reach my goal of tailbone length hair. :(

I was just below bra strap this morning and decided I needed to cut a large amount of hair away - it was not looking very nice at all. My hair had thinned severely because of the silly things I did to it over the past two years, trying to make it grow faster. I've also been off of Accutane for a while now, and am hoping that the horrible shedding associated with it has stopped (shudders).

Now I'm just trying to thicken up my hair while it's short and grow it again from there, so that when I do finally reach my intended length it will be healthy and pretty. Whew, needed to get that off my chest!

lapushka
June 21st, 2014, 03:17 PM
Thank you for creating this opportunity to share, lapushka!

I just went to the salon today and had my hair cut to just above my shoulders. It looks nice, and far healthier than it was before, but I feel a bit put out that now I'll have to wait longer to reach my goal of tailbone length hair. :(

I was just below bra strap this morning and decided I needed to cut a large amount of hair away - it was not looking very nice at all. My hair had thinned severely because of the silly things I did to it over the past two years, trying to make it grow faster. I've also been off of Accutane for a while now, and am hoping that the horrible shedding associated with it has stopped (shudders).

Now I'm just trying to thicken up my hair while it's short and grow it again from there, so that when I do finally reach my intended length it will be healthy and pretty. Whew, needed to get that off my chest!

You're welcome!

It is hard to have to take medication and it having that kind of effect on the hair, but still knowing that you have to take the medication. I hope things settle down and go back to normal for you soon. :flower:

Mimione001
June 22nd, 2014, 01:11 AM
Thank you Luluj, and i love your hair with the waves and curls and beautiful silvers! My sister let her hair grow out natural and is showing her gray, looks good and she got wavy hair now! with dye in her hair it was nearly straight. We didn't know she had waves. I was always the curly one in the family. I hope i'll be suprised too, one day :)

Great tip Nellon, i have to read before i take my scissors too, stop cutting above shoulders (have to remember). What is you natural color Nellon and how do you get strawberry blonde with your henna?

Well said BonnieU, thanks.

ErinLeigh
June 22nd, 2014, 03:02 AM
Oh, and: ErinLeigh: I'm sorry to hear about your difficult situation. I know what it's like to be under a lot of stress, and I really do hope you can find some breathing space and be able to take care of yourself. My small (and stupid?) advice is to take extra B-vitamin and magnesium since it helps your body to handle stress. Also for me I find cod-liver-oil to help me calm down and manage stress better. And iron supplements help me stay strong and have more energy, this is especially important for us women! Most of all though, one needs to find a stress-free living situation for the long run, that being much easier said than done. Oh, and walking helps me handle stress, especially in beautiful calming surroundings such as a forest. (probably I'm not of much help, just wanted to send some sympathy).

Thank you so much for the suport and advice. It is heartily appreciated.
I really need to at least walk again and do some yoga. I need better nutrition. This just reminds me how much the little things make all the difference.

ErinLeigh
June 22nd, 2014, 03:04 AM
ErinLeigh, i understand the coloring frustrations. I really want to stop every time i did it and when the time comes that the roots are showing i don't know what to do. I see so many grays! But i really don't know how "bad" it is, i am just afraid.
At the same time, i admire the grey or silver hairs from the members here, i wish i was already there..
Beezle, you are further on your way, good for you. Will i ever reach BSL? Don't know, but i can always dream right? Do you have silver hairs as well in your natural hair color? I am wondering, is your bun in fine hair better at bsl hair? I have very fine hair also and people keep telling me that it needs to be short (you know what they say).
I try henna-glosses to keep most of my natural dark-blonde color and give my grays some color. I use one tablespoon hazelnut-brown from Khadi and ons tablespoon red henna (brandless, not very strong), mix it with conditioner in a small bowl, just enough to cover all my fine hair at almost shoulderlength. Keep it in for an hour. Worked well the last time i did it. I hope to keep doing it, so that i don't go back to chemical coloring.

I am intrigued by this!!! What is resulting color? Does it add any substance to hair? Mine is super fine too hence why I never really grew out.

ErinLeigh
June 22nd, 2014, 03:12 AM

I am intrigued by this!!! What is resulting color? Does it add any substance to hair? Mine is super fine too hence why I never really grew out.

Nellon
June 22nd, 2014, 03:43 AM
Great tip Nellon, i have to read before i take my scissors too, stop cutting above shoulders (have to remember). What is you natural color Nellon and how do you get strawberry blonde with your henna?

My starting colour (natural one) is ash blonde.
I used to use 3 tablespoons (aproximately) for a enough conditioner to cover my roots (aproximately). But I found out it's a bit too much blonde for me, I find the orange of henna suits me and now I take aproximately 4 tablespoons of henna + enough conditioner to cover my roots. So it's basically henna glosses. I leave it on for 1 or 1 1/2 hours. And I only do roots in order to not have it darken on the lengths. I'm really in love with henna! It's amazing how a hair colour can be both beautiful and good for your hair!

And, btw, I also have very fine hair. I used to colour it, layer it, cut bangs, use tons of hairspray because I thought straight, thin hair didn't suit me. Was always really unhappy with it in it's natural state. Well, guess what? The cones I used weighed it down and made it look more ""flat". Now that I'm cone-free I like my thin, straight hair (and it even has some body or slight waves now that it's not weighed down anymore). So that made me able to stop the layering, chemical colouring and hairspray-abuse and as a result it's growing slowly ;)

I wish you all the best in your hair growing journey. It's so good we have each other for support here on this thread and board! Yay!

ErinLeigh
June 22nd, 2014, 04:16 AM
I know the way it goes, I've been there, done that. Life's ups and downs gets to you and you want to change something quickly just so you can feel in control. It's sad that it's always our hair that suffers from that feeling :( I used to think that I'll grow it but keep it layered. Then I thought I'd better get rid of layers, then I changed my mind haha, and cut layers once again! Needless to say my hair never grew that long! But this time I made my mind up! No more layers, just grow! I think it gets easier when you see that it's working and your hair starts to become something that makes you feel good and that you want to keep! Surely you'll manage to resist scissors this time!

I always felt my layers held me back from growing in a way. They need trimmed frequently as they fray quicker and everytime I would get them dusted it would turn into so much more.
I am almost layer free and feel strongly having them gone will have an impact on finally being able to relax, self trim and just grow to the point I am comfortable with. Hopeing it is not wishful thinking but for me getting to a place of roots only dye and dusting ends only feels like a way off the merry go round.

ErinLeigh
June 22nd, 2014, 04:46 AM
merrow I imagine your hair looks wonderful. I know how hard it is reverting backwards myself but I tend to think its worth it. I want hair to look its best and if that means shorter I am happy to accept that anytime. My confidence is more tied to healthy looking hair than long hair, so personally I think you made a good choice if you felt hair needed a fresh start. I hope you can enjoy this new length and every new landmark that comes with regrowth :) I sometimes feel quite empowered when I get a nice cut so I am hoping you are feeling fantastic.

Bunnylake, I remember when you cut and I must say your post was pretty powerful when you expressed why you cut. I loved seeing your confidence and empowerment take form as well.
I adored your cut from first glance. It really is wonderful and seems to bring you a lot of contentment. Seeing you admit that you didn't want to grow that long again gave me some courage to admit my own truth in not wanting to be super long but still wanting to be a part of this forum. I thought it was great to see you see still enjoy long hair but be honest with your own desires.
It made me feel safer in my own posts if that makes sense.

Now as far as serums..I mostly use something due to the Florida humidity as well as protecting my strands since I bleach. For my hair they are still needed (or at least wanted) even though I am barely touching shoulder.
I rotate Pureology Precious Oils, jojoba oil, or hemp oil..or sometimes Loreal Split End Repair (when I use cones) I also use Nighblooming Panacea as I find this blend gives me a more substantial feeling to my hair. Oils and cones tend to flatten and smooth. The Panacea Salves give me fullness and frizz reduction.

I feel like I am hogging the thread but cannot help it. I am happy here. hehe

If anyone wants to tak conditioner...
Has anyone tried Briogeo Hair Repair Dont Care Deep Conditioner? I really like it. I still love my Redken Extreeme Builder Plus but the Briogeo is really really good and it is suited for all hair types. It really does deep condition.
I am also still loving the Alba Leave In Conditioner (no cones, no fragrence, no protein) I cannot see ever fin ing one that even comes close to rivaling it but would love to hear a recommendation just to satisfy the product junkie in me. I have a Garnier Hydra Charge Moisture Whip I haven't tested yet. Anyone used? It seems sticky so I haven't gave it a test yet.
Now for daily rinse out...Does anyone have any favorite regular conditioner suggestions? I am getting bored with my stash. Cone free or water soluble cones preferred but ears are open to cones if one is amazing.

I am thinking about trying cones for summer. I have some water soluble cones I need to use up but I am so used to my current routine it's hard to break.
That is all for now. Oh, I am going to maintain SL until my layers are gone. I may just take the rest off next month for a long neck length bob. If you were me, would you maintain SL until last layers are gone, or take the plunge and just go for one length all at once?

And finally, my goal is to learn to dutch braid my bangs by end of July. Tips or links to videos would be appreciated. I am hopeless at braiding that requires "adding" hair

Mimione001
June 22nd, 2014, 04:47 AM
ErinLeigh, the last gloss i did with the "brown" mix and a little red gave my colored blonde hair some strawberry tint and the gray hairs a light terracotta tint like a member here calls it. My natural darkblond just got a really nice shine. So i hope to continue doing this and grow out the dye but still cover my gray at the same time.

Siiri
June 22nd, 2014, 04:48 AM
Does anyone here use a serum or a leave in of any kind? Is it necessary for shorter hair?

I started using leave-in conditioner or oil at shoulder length. It depends on what else you do with your hair and whether it splits or gets dry easily. If I hadn't been trying to grow out my hair to waist length, I wouldn't have bothered to use leave-in. I didn't really get immediate results with the leave-in, it was mostly preventative. Now a leave-in is helpful with detangling, but at shorter lengths it didn't get tangled easily.

Mimione001
June 22nd, 2014, 05:00 AM
Nellon, your mix sounds great too, maybe just red as a gloss is enough for me too when i gloss my natural hair bij the roots (those hairs are dark enough) The blonde dye parts are too light now, that's why i use some brown mix in it.

Just like some of you are telling, i think that layers are not the right way for me too, because of the fine hairs i have. i keep trying to grow them out and thats why i'm still at almost shoulder length, sigh..

I keep switching between sls- free and sls-shampoo and cone-free and conditioners with cones, can't make up my mind. I like oils but can't use them for everyday because it makes my hair greasy. I think it is still too short for treatments like that.
Shampoo-bars don't work with the hard water here. I would like my haircare all natural but keep coming back to sls-shampoos. Maybe all the other stuff will work better if my hair gets longer?

luluj
June 22nd, 2014, 09:07 AM
Aw, that's such a sweet thing to say! :) Thank you! Yeah, I guess we are all really grateful we found this community huh?! :) Just wanted to say that your hair is awesome, that's what I want my hair to be like when I get a bit older (unfortunarely my hair is straight-ish)! Your hair has a kind of magic fairytale look to it!
Do you do CO or wash with regular shampoo?

You are welcome, Nellon, and thank-you.:blossom:

Right now I am using the WCC method. You can find the link to the thread, started by lapushka, in her signature.

I agree with this. I've often thought the same thing about your hair, luluj

I love this, it's so true!!

Thanks so very much, BrightEyes!:flowers:

I think using a leave in or serum is a great idea for shorter hair, bunnylake. What I use is good ole coconut oil on my hair, just the tiniest bit between my palms, applied to my freshly washed, damp hair. I concentrate more on my length, with just a quick gloss over my root area.

lapushka
June 22nd, 2014, 10:18 AM
Right now I am using the WCC method. You can find the link to the thread, started by lapushka, in her signature.

I'll post just so you'll have the links! :)

luluj
June 22nd, 2014, 11:38 AM

Thanks, lapushka. :blossom:

Mimione001
June 22nd, 2014, 01:17 PM
Coconut oil used on damp hair, new idea, haven't tryed that yet. Only used it on dry hair and it gets greasy very quick, maybe not if used on damp hair. I'm going to try that.

Sunny_side_up
June 22nd, 2014, 02:49 PM
Nice thread! I had my mum do a small trim today, as of late my hair at APL has been getting trapped under arm when im wearing it down indoors, getting laid on in bed if I have a night where I don't want to tie it up. I soo felt like freshening up the ends after nearly 4months no trim. Feels great and sitting with it down now not getting annoyed with it as its not being trapped against my back, but enjoying it a little past my shoulders brushing my collar bone. Makes me wonder about my thoughts on getting it to BSL. Also now we're approaching summer im finding I want to wash it more after sweaty stuffy commutes, so a bit less length seems to suit me.

Nellon
June 22nd, 2014, 04:11 PM
I always felt my layers held me back from growing in a way. They need trimmed frequently as they fray quicker and everytime I would get them dusted it would turn into so much more.
I am almost layer free and feel strongly having them gone will have an impact on finally being able to relax, self trim and just grow to the point I am comfortable with. Hopeing it is not wishful thinking but for me getting to a place of roots only dye and dusting ends only feels like a way off the merry go round.

Yay, it sounds like a really good idea! You go girl! :) For me it really was like that cutting it all to one length. Easy to trim and like you say, less chance of chopping too much off when all you wanted was to trim a bit. And it's such a freedom to not have to bother with going to the hairdressers all the time and hope they'll get it right :) How long before your layers are gone you think?

Nellon
June 22nd, 2014, 04:20 PM
Nellon, your mix sounds great too, maybe just red as a gloss is enough for me too when i gloss my natural hair bij the roots (those hairs are dark enough) The blonde dye parts are too light now, that's why i use some brown mix in it.

Just like some of you are telling, i think that layers are not the right way for me too, because of the fine hairs i have. i keep trying to grow them out and thats why i'm still at almost shoulder length, sigh..

I keep switching between sls- free and sls-shampoo and cone-free and conditioners with cones, can't make up my mind. I like oils but can't use them for everyday because it makes my hair greasy. I think it is still too short for treatments like that.
Shampoo-bars don't work with the hard water here. I would like my haircare all natural but keep coming back to sls-shampoos. Maybe all the other stuff will work better if my hair gets longer?

Oh, you use a mixture of henna and indigo then? Does it work nicely? And how do you go about avoiding build up on the lengths of your hair?

What I do usually (in case anyone's interested :) ) is to oil just the tip of the braid with a little coconut oil (if I plan to keep my hair up). If not, then I just leave it be. The day before washing it's nice to put a little coconut oil on the ends of the hair, put it up, and let it soak in some time before washing. This helps my hair split less and be much softer :) And I found coconut oil washes out well with conditioner only. It really helped the condition of my bleached ends.

Nellon
June 22nd, 2014, 04:26 PM
You are welcome, Nellon, and thank-you.:blossom:

Oh, I'll go right ahead and check it out! Interesting!

Thank you! :blossom:

Nellon
June 22nd, 2014, 04:35 PM
And finally, my goal is to learn to dutch braid my bangs by end of July. Tips or links to videos would be appreciated. I am hopeless at braiding that requires "adding" hair

That sounds like it'll come out looking real nice! I have no idea how to do it, but I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of how it turns out on you! :popcorn:

browneyedsusan
June 22nd, 2014, 05:00 PM
I just wanted to chime in and add that I think this is a great idea for a thread!
Short hair is fabulous, too! I loved my pixie, even though I only wore it 15 years! :spitting:
Nothing wrong with deciding to keep your hair short. In fact, there are lots of terrific reasons for doing so! :cheese:

Anyuta
June 22nd, 2014, 09:13 PM
Oh, I'm in!! :D After having long hair (well, longest for me was close to waist) I chopped it and now learning to like it short! It may not look best, but it has its own advantages:

Brushing is so easy and quick! Saves so much time in the morning
Washing is easy and fast too, drying times are much shorter
Sleeping is improved, lol, meaning no more heavy rope hanging down or wrapped in a bun causing tension
Not to worry about it being caught in doors, between arms, by pets or kids
Less shedding - but this is a foolish one: if hair is short it appears that it sheds less as opposed to long hair that will create huge hair balls
Even styling is easier: no need to braid anything, just clip'n go :D

Alright, alright, some people might get aggravated reading this thinking that I am trying to state that short hair is better or best, absolutely not, it's truly personal. As they say, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :) I love long hair and would accept all the churn it comes with, but those of us who are growing out shorties or decided to stay with shorted hair, why not focus on some positives? :)

hairpleasegrow
June 22nd, 2014, 11:14 PM
ErinLeigh, I have quoted you here.....

"I am here because I love hair. I love products, I love hairstyles. I cant find a "general hair board' (please point me to one if there is one anywhere) and I really like the people here.
I feel like I don't belong more often than not because I don't know if I want really long hair. I want APL length back but that is not considered long here. I also don't want long hair at any cost. If its not looking optimal I will keep cutting until its in good enough shape to look good long. I feel I can be happy at an length as long as hair looks and feels healthy."

You most certainly do belong here, you love hair, hairstyles and mostly you like the people here. You want to get back to APL with healthy hair that you love, just like I do. We have a lot in common, actually.

I read all of your posts because I find them to be very interesting and informative, like so many other members here do.

I have been a member since 2009 and yet here I am longing for APL, and with the support and encouragement that I receive here, I will make it to APL. If I have to trim along the way, so be it. Like you, I can be happy at any length as long as my hair is healthy.

Agree i like your posts ErinLeigh ! I feel like my hair type and feelings about my hair are similar to yours.

and lapushka you give great advice i am still doing head massages from a you tube "how to" video that you posted a while back :)

Mimione001
June 22nd, 2014, 11:38 PM
Sunny side up, your length sounds nice, maybe thats a good length for me too. But i don't want my layers anymore, do you have layered hair?
Nellon, so far no build-up color problems because the dyed hairs don't hold the henna color for long, don't know why. My roots are just 1 inch or so, so i don't really know how that will turn out later on. I do a very light gloss i guess (lots of conditioner) so i hope that i can play with the color. Grays look like golden now (just did a new gloss yesterday) I used 2 tablespoons this time of henna with indigo mixed in it (pre-mix from Khadi). Darker than strawberry now but i will have to see how it holds.

I really like coconut-oil but use it for the night sometimes and wash it out in the morning. Then i try not to use conditioner (from another thread). Don't know how this will be in the long run.

Brown eyed susan, i really like the glosses you do. You only use henna right?

Anyuta, you are right, we have to look at the positives :)

lapushka
June 23rd, 2014, 04:38 AM
and lapushka you give great advice i am still doing head massages from a you tube "how to" video that you posted a while back :)

I have my moments! ;) How are the head massages going? Great, I think/hope. :D

Sunny_side_up
June 23rd, 2014, 01:17 PM
Mimione001 my hair is not layered anymore, grew out a shoulder skimming shaggy cut a couple years ago (quite a few people really liked that look on me) I like keeping it pretty blunt past shoulders for the time being with side swept bangs I trim myself. Since my little trim its feeling lovely to brush/comb and run my hands through, not that I mess with it all the time! :) Mostly keep it up in a claw clip for work, at home too, occasionally let it down, less now its muggy weather. For me, this is my manageable length I suppose :)

Mimione001
June 23rd, 2014, 01:53 PM
Sunny-side-up, Yes, i can imagine that is a manageable length, sounds very good. I think my first goal is a long bob. So i have to grow out the layers. After that maybe blunt past shoulders like you have now, sounds like a plan!

arelrios
June 23rd, 2014, 03:40 PM
Great thread. I personally think that health is more important than length.

At the moment, I am just waiting for my pay to post (hopefully next Monday) and I will get a hair analysis to be able to pin point the correct products based on hair properties. Then, I will experiment with those and see what happens.

If that fails, I am cutting my hair as I am not happy with it's happening right now and I rather have shorter hair than be unhappy with longer hair :D...

bunnylake
June 23rd, 2014, 09:10 PM
I haven't posted any pictures of my progress since I cut it! These two show my hair from around the time I first cut it back in the winter (top left) to most recently. The last picture on the bottom right was taken yesterday.
http://37.media.tumblr.com/3b51cc60165fff390d6d8ae03be29a50/tumblr_n7nkgoGlF31td6loio1_1280.jpg http://38.media.tumblr.com/617d326f00e18c107b47aa382104fbb6/tumblr_n7nkgoGlF31td6loio2_1280.jpg
I've had one microtrim and another small trim to even out the ends a bit (it was originally a slightly inverted bob). I'm on and off maintaining my bangs.
I think I'm only gonna grow a couple more inches maybe.

ErinLeigh
June 23rd, 2014, 10:54 PM
Yay, it sounds like a really good idea! You go girl! :) For me it really was like that cutting it all to one length. Easy to trim and like you say, less chance of chopping too much off when all you wanted was to trim a bit. And it's such a freedom to not have to bother with going to the hairdressers all the time and hope they'll get it right :) How long before your layers are gone you think?

I have about 2 inches left on average..maybe a few that are 3. I figure 2-3 more trims or one big chop away!!
I am excited from hearing your feedback so thank you! Gives me lots to look forward to.

ErinLeigh
June 23rd, 2014, 11:06 PM
Great thread. I personally think that health is more important than length.

At the moment, I am just waiting for my pay to post (hopefully next Monday) and I will get a hair analysis to be able to pin point the correct products based on hair properties. Then, I will experiment with those and see what happens.

If that fails, I am cutting my hair as I am not happy with it's happening right now and I rather have shorter hair than be unhappy with longer hair :D...

I totally understand this sentiment. I prefer health over length any day if I had to choose. Hopefully I wont have too but that's another story.

hairpleasegrow THANK YOU :) I always feel certain attachment to ones with similar hair or stories. It's like finally one understands my dilema lol
Sunny_side_up : what you have is my goal right now. I just want one length, little past shoulder, side swept bangs (I will choose long ones) It's just an easy content place for me.

Anyuta i loved you post. I like looking at the pluses. It makes me feel better to think I am doing what is right for me personally. I have a guess I will always be going back and forth between shoulder and APL and that's all I want. Sometimes I prefer a little shorter, sometimes longer. I love the variation of length in those stages and how they each shape my face differently. I am happy short (or medium)
Hair balls freak me out by the way and I wonder if that is one of my secret reason for liking to be short :)

bunnylake All I can say is wow. Every single photo is wonderful. The thing I love best about short hair is the evolving of it as it grows. Its a different look every month. You never get bored.
I think you look amazing. This really suits you. I suspect any length works with your features. I like that you don't have a true goal. Grow a little longer and see what you think and decide from there is a great idea. I think it takes a lot of the stress of when we learn to love our hair right now. Not at some predetermined length.

browneyedsusa: thanks for coming to show support!!! Your new Signature pic looks fantastic.

Mimione001
June 23rd, 2014, 11:32 PM
Very well said ErinLeigh, couldn't agree more. :)

parallellines
June 23rd, 2014, 11:36 PM
Just a quick thank you to all for the inspiration and information :)

Lazy Loop
June 24th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Great thread! I'd love to follow this. I see many here that I already love reading and watching.

I am trying to grow my hair out, its just begun to graze my shoulders, and my bangs are just below my chin. The between stages are tough, I don't really enjoy them.

All my life I was a DIY hair stylist and did every risky procedure know, myself! But my hair has changed, I'm older now, and have more gray.

I came to LHC in 2012 because my hair was fried, and begun to break off in my brush while blowdrying. LHC completely changed my routine. I was doing everything wrong! Now, I treat my hair much more gently, and don't use any heat or harsh treatments, no cones, or sls, or color, or even protein (my hair doesn't like). My hair loves coconut oil!

So I cut off the bad damage as it grew. Then I evened up the layers as they grew out. Lots of cutting, not much length gain. Transition stages are not pretty for me, I really battle having mediocre hair most days. But I am soooo committed to healthy hair as I get length.

My hair has never been this soft! Just now can get a short ponytail, but up do's mostly fall out.

I battle "triangle head", or Buster Brown hair, or fluffiness at the ear level that just looks funny.

I admire you all, love reading your posts, and seeing your pix!!!

Lazy Loop
June 24th, 2014, 08:57 AM
P.S. I would love to reach APL, that would be very long for me, then try going longer and see how it it.

I lack patience, but taking photos of progress monthly really helps, I can see where I've been and where I'm going and how a little growth each month is adding up. Bizarre? I think scritching my scalp helps my hair grow, lol!

Also, I stopped putting my gross photos in my siggy, I have a photo album tho.

arelrios
June 24th, 2014, 08:58 AM
I haven't posted any pictures of my progress since I cut it! These two show my hair from around the time I first cut it back in the winter (top left) to most recently. The last picture on the bottom right was taken yesterday.
:scissors:
I've had one microtrim and another small trim to even out the ends a bit (it was originally a slightly inverted bob). I'm on and off maintaining my bangs.

You hair looks gorgeous... I also admire your makeup... :)

Beezle
June 24th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Hello all. I've missed a few days here owing to stress at work, which I managed to bring home with me. Sigh. Now I have so much reading here to catch up on. It's lovely to read everyone supportive comments and to hear that all of us have the same goal - not a particular length but to pursue health and strength. I definitely feel that since I've consciously decided to grow my hair, and since coming to LHC, that my awareness of hair is much greater. Before it was something a bit unsatisfactory that lurked on the top of my head. I really didn't pay much attention to it but hated the disappointment of a visit to the hairdresser and the reinforcement of the limitations of my hair. Only once in my life had I ever felt that I had a hair style versus a hair cut. And, of course, treated my hair with moderate contempt. Even when I decided to stop the dyeing, I had it dyed back to the colour of my roots, I didn't do it the hard way. I agree with many of you here that now my (and our) hair is in the best condition it's ever been. I think we should all congratulate ourselves for the efforts we have made. We're pretty good!

Now I'm off to read some more uplifting postings.

ErinLeigh
June 24th, 2014, 11:01 AM
great post Beezle. Sorry about the work stress. I so relate to taking that mental mess home once in a while myself. Glad you are back!

Beezle
June 24th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Mimione - hi. Yes, I do have silver amongst the dark ash brown that appears (amazingly) to be my now natural colour. I think while I was dyeing it to the strawberry blonde that I was imagining I was maintaining as my natural hair colour, my hair decided to confound me by changing colour. To this day, my sister is convinced that I still dye my hair, but now I've chosen a darker and less flattering colour! It must be four years now so you can see she's quite determined in her opinions, which also include constant little hints that I would look much better with short hair, and how nice that woman's haircut would look on me, etc etc..

I don't have nearly as many grey hairs as I should. Strangely even when I was a child I wanted to have silver hair in a bun! What a weird thing for a kid to wish for! I didn't have grandmothers so it's not based on any memories. As i grew older and realised what a liability fine, thin hair was, I also looked forward to the time when the coarser silver hair would give mine some bulk. Unfortunately it hasn't happened yet, or at least not enough to matter. Is your silver hair coarser and useful for adding weight and bulk to your fine hair?

Beezle
June 24th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks ErinLeigh. My job isn't nearly as stressful as yours must be! I feel wimpish complaining about stress compared to your responsibilities.

While you are here, could I pick your brains? Do you think it's possible that I could be the only person who doesn't do well with coconut oil? I really wanted it work but so far it has just made my ends sort of crumpled and tangled. I will try luluj's recommendation of putting it on damp hair but unless that works, it seems coconut oil is not for me. Very disappointing as most people seem to get great benefit from it and what to try next?

Mimione001
June 24th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Mimione - hi. Yes, I do have silver amongst the dark ash brown that appears (amazingly) to be my now natural colour. I think while I was dyeing it to the strawberry blonde that I was imagining I was maintaining as my natural hair colour, my hair decided to confound me by changing colour. To this day, my sister is convinced that I still dye my hair, but now I've chosen a darker and less flattering colour! It must be four years now so you can see she's quite determined in her opinions, which also include constant little hints that I would look much better with short hair, and how nice that woman's haircut would look on me, etc etc..

I don't have nearly as many grey hairs as I should. Strangely even when I was a child I wanted to have silver hair in a bun! What a weird thing for a kid to wish for! I didn't have grandmothers so it's not based on any memories. As i grew older and realised what a liability fine, thin hair was, I also looked forward to the time when the coarser silver hair would give mine some bulk. Unfortunately it hasn't happened yet, or at least not enough to matter. Is your silver hair coarser and useful for adding weight and bulk to your fine hair?

No, my silver hairs seem just as fine as my other hairs. No different structure or weight.
I've always liked women with long hair in buns, still do :)
So your hair got darker through the years or did i misunderstand?

Mimione001
June 24th, 2014, 02:08 PM
P.S. I would love to reach APL, that would be very long for me, then try going longer and see how it it.

APL is really long in my eyes! Think i will never reach that, but we will see :)

Mimione001
June 24th, 2014, 02:11 PM

Really nice pictures bunnylake! A couple more inches would be great too, but i like your hair as it is now too.

bunnylake
June 24th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Thank you for the compliments! It's great to be a part of such a supportive and loving community.

I find myself going back to some long hair habits just because it's what I did for so long, but honestly having short hair means I can relax and not worry about it. It's *just* long enough to tangle a little bit *sometimes*, and I don't need much moisture. I have to remind myself sometimes to not think about it! If I find a split end, whatever! I don't mind getting regular trims now.

Has anyone discovered they love going to the hair salon after a big chop? I used to be deathly afraid of salons until I cut my hair off. Now I can't wait to go just to get my bangs trimmed. I'm very lucky though, my sister is a stylist so I can go to her pretty much whenever I want for free. :D Salon practices and stylists used to scare me a little because in some ways they are very opposite LHC, but I appreciate them more now. Every hair care practice has it's place, and it's tough to say that one way it right and another way is wrong. I still don't like to use too much heat on my hair too often, but I will now and then. I kind of like the idea of getting a lot of length cut off with each trim only because it's like YAY FRESH NEW HAIR!

chen bao jun
June 24th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Great thread. Thanks, Lapushka.
I definitely want to grow long but its taking a long time and I do get frustrated as even as I grow longer my curls keep me 'looking' short. It's nice to be reminded that short hair has benefits too.
I've been on here two years and may possibly reach APL in appearance by the end of this year. My hair is actually brastrap, but since no one can see the length...
Beezle, everyone's hair does not like coconut oil. There are several threads on this. It is proteiny and makes some people's hair crunchy. Argan is a nice one for many, or camellia or jojoba. You have other choices, definitely.

chen bao jun
June 24th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Great thread. Thanks, Lapushka.
I definitely want to grow long but its taking a long time and I do get frustrated as even as I grow longer my curls keep me 'looking' short. It's nice to be reminded that short hair has benefits too.
I've been on here two years and may possibly reach APL in appearance by the end of this year. My hair is actually brastrap, but since no one can see the length...
Beezle, everyone's hair does not like coconut oil. There are several threads on this. It is proteiny and makes some people's hair crunchy. Argan is a nice one for many, or camellia or jojoba. You have other choices, definitely.

ErinLeigh
June 24th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Thanks ErinLeigh. My job isn't nearly as stressful as yours must be! I feel wimpish complaining about stress compared to your responsibilities.

While you are here, could I pick your brains? Do you think it's possible that I could be the only person who doesn't do well with coconut oil? I really wanted it work but so far it has just made my ends sort of crumpled and tangled. I will try luluj's recommendation of putting it on damp hair but unless that works, it seems coconut oil is not for me. Very disappointing as most people seem to get great benefit from it and what to try next?

Oh Beezle, to me stress is stress. It all has same effect on body so all is considered equal in my book. Never feel wimpish. If you feel it, it is real and it is to be respected.
Now for coconut..your hair may not like it and that is that. I would try mixing it with olive or avocado and see if that helps. If it does not, give plain avocado a try. It penetrates also but I find it makes hair a lot softer and helps it retain moisture the best. Let us know if you try that. If neither work there are always other options we can help explore and suggest together.

ErinLeigh
June 24th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Thank you for the compliments! It's great to be a part of such a supportive and loving community.

I find myself going back to some long hair habits just because it's what I did for so long, but honestly having short hair means I can relax and not worry about it. It's *just* long enough to tangle a little bit *sometimes*, and I don't need much moisture. I have to remind myself sometimes to not think about it! If I find a split end, whatever! I don't mind getting regular trims now.

Has anyone discovered they love going to the hair salon after a big chop? I used to be deathly afraid of salons until I cut my hair off. Now I can't wait to go just to get my bangs trimmed. I'm very lucky though, my sister is a stylist so I can go to her pretty much whenever I want for free. :D Salon practices and stylists used to scare me a little because in some ways they are very opposite LHC, but I appreciate them more now. Every hair care practice has it's place, and it's tough to say that one way it right and another way is wrong. I still don't like to use too much heat on my hair too often, but I will now and then. I kind of like the idea of getting a lot of length cut off with each trim only because it's like YAY FRESH NEW HAIR!

With as many hair disasters as I have had you would think I hate getting hair cuts. I don't. I love them. I actually sometimes say "more" if I don't feel enough was cut off to satisfy my need for fresh/new feeling. I always appreciate a good dusting but once a year it seems I want to take off a good amount which sets me back a whole year. I can't grow long due my need to have that fresh styled feel. I just like it. The way the hair swings, the lightness, zero splits, frayed ends gone, the way the hair falls into a perfect style with little effort. I feel fantasitc after a new cut (if done right of course) ahhh..I need a haircut!

LauraLongLocks
June 24th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Though I am no longer a shortie, I have grown out three pixies in my life, and in my childhood, I never had hair longer than shoulder to APL. So, yes, short hair is awesome, too, and I think it can and should be enjoyed. I thoroughly loved blowfrying mine, trying chemical dyes and perms, teasing it, using all manner of products on it, and using a hot curling iron on damp hair and listening to it sizzle when it was short. I've had enough of that kind of fun, though, and when I got my most recent pixie, I didn't feel like myself. Previous to it, I had virgin, healthy hair that was MBL. I rocked that short hair and had fun with it at every length, but when people saw me, I was thinking to myself that they weren't seeing the real me, and had no idea what I really looked like, since they were seeing me with short hair. I know that sounds strange. Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and cheer the shorties on. My advice for short hair is to go ahead and use some products and heat on it so you can style it in a way that makes you happy. If you intend to keep it short, the damage is no big deal since you'll be cutting it off soon enough. If you intend to grow it long, the damage can be trimmed off as you go, and it won't be a big deal. Making your hair enjoyable at every length is very important for your self-esteem, so don't bat an eye over using some non-LHC type styling on your short hair.

Mimione001
June 24th, 2014, 11:50 PM
You are so right LauraLongLocks, thank you for your positive comments and tips. Makes me realise to be more relaxed about the hair care.

browneyedsusan
June 26th, 2014, 08:58 AM
De-lurking: :couch:

Great thread! I love a short pixie! :inlove: Always have.

For me, part of the fun was abusing the snot out of it, because any damage would be cut off in a few weeks. During my pixie years, I cut, colored, bleached, grew out my bangs, shaved the sides, buzzed it all down to 1", grew out one side... You name it, I did it! I had a ball. :)

Even though this is a Long Hair Community, I thoroughly enjoy the shorthair threads, and feel a connection to those who deliberately choose short hair, or are making the best of it due to medical or other issues.

Rock on shorties! :rockerdud: Share your fun hairstyles with the rest of us!

Nellon
June 26th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I have about 2 inches left on average..maybe a few that are 3. I figure 2-3 more trims or one big chop away!!
I am excited from hearing your feedback so thank you! Gives me lots to look forward to.

You're welcome! It's nice to read your posts as well methinks and hear about your hair journey! It's nice to hang out here and get some encouragement :)
So, not so much more left before your layers are gone then? It's nice to trim it away slowly, that way you won't even notice losing any length, and once in a while get to enjoy fresh ends :) That's what I did anyways!
Hope your stress levels are decreasing and at the very least not going up. Hang in there!:heart:

Nellon
June 26th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Great thread! I'd love to follow this. I see many here that I already love reading and watching.

I am trying to grow my hair out, its just begun to graze my shoulders, and my bangs are just below my chin. The between stages are tough, I don't really enjoy them.

All my life I was a DIY hair stylist and did every risky procedure know, myself! But my hair has changed, I'm older now, and have more gray.

I came to LHC in 2012 because my hair was fried, and begun to break off in my brush while blowdrying. LHC completely changed my routine. I was doing everything wrong! Now, I treat my hair much more gently, and don't use any heat or harsh treatments, no cones, or sls, or color, or even protein (my hair doesn't like). My hair loves coconut oil!

So I cut off the bad damage as it grew. Then I evened up the layers as they grew out. Lots of cutting, not much length gain. Transition stages are not pretty for me, I really battle having mediocre hair most days. But I am soooo committed to healthy hair as I get length.

My hair has never been this soft! Just now can get a short ponytail, but up do's mostly fall out.

I battle "triangle head", or Buster Brown hair, or fluffiness at the ear level that just looks funny.

I admire you all, love reading your posts, and seeing your pix!!!

Hi you!
Isn't it true that the way down to shoulders is the worst? Once you're there the fun begins IMO :)

Are you planning to keep your greys all natural or dye them? I'm myself nowhere near that stage yet (probably, but who knows?) but I think grey hair is beautiful and am looking forward to having long hair with silver streaks!

Nellon
June 26th, 2014, 02:43 PM
De-lurking: :couch:

Great thread! I love a short pixie! :inlove: Always have.

For me, part of the fun was abusing the snot out of it, because any damage would be cut off in a few weeks. During my pixie years, I cut, colored, bleached, grew out my bangs, shaved the sides, buzzed it all down to 1", grew out one side... You name it, I did it! I had a ball. :)

Even though this is a Long Hair Community, I thoroughly enjoy the shorthair threads, and feel a connection to those who deliberately choose short hair, or are making the best of it due to medical or other issues.

Rock on shorties! :rockerdud: Share your fun hairstyles with the rest of us!

Nice to have you lurking ;) I must say your hair has grown incredibly fast and is looking amazing!

Nellon
June 26th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Hello all. I've missed a few days here owing to stress at work, which I managed to bring home with me. Sigh. Now I have so much reading here to catch up on. It's lovely to read everyone supportive comments and to hear that all of us have the same goal - not a particular length but to pursue health and strength. I definitely feel that since I've consciously decided to grow my hair, and since coming to LHC, that my awareness of hair is much greater. Before it was something a bit unsatisfactory that lurked on the top of my head. I really didn't pay much attention to it but hated the disappointment of a visit to the hairdresser and the reinforcement of the limitations of my hair. Only once in my life had I ever felt that I had a hair style versus a hair cut. And, of course, treated my hair with moderate contempt. Even when I decided to stop the dyeing, I had it dyed back to the colour of my roots, I didn't do it the hard way. I agree with many of you here that now my (and our) hair is in the best condition it's ever been. I think we should all congratulate ourselves for the efforts we have made. We're pretty good!

Now I'm off to read some more uplifting postings.

Thank you Beezle for that uplifting post! Made me remember to appreciate my hair and myself more! (And thus also other things around me). Positive thinking and appreciation is the stuff dreams are made of :)

Sunny_side_up
June 29th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Got home after grubby play with my 3 year old nephew clambering all over me with grubby hands and feet and blowing raspberries, showering me in spit and lick kisses eek! Ha ha. Tired out, but couldn't wait to get in and shower and use my new rose sls free shampoo. That was an hour ago, my hairs now pretty much dry. My kinda length indeed, and enjoyed wearing it down a bit today. No tangling and put up in a claw clip before eating. Simple and I don't do hardly any fussing over it :)

Anyuta
June 29th, 2014, 06:56 PM
My hair is now touching shoulder in many places (I have layers, very uneven). The ends are now always rubbing my clothes/neck and I am afraid I'll get damage. I can put in ponytail but that doesn't help much because ends are still touching. I tried doing peacock twist and that kinda been my style lately.. any other things you would recommend for this length?

arelrios
June 30th, 2014, 08:51 AM
An, is your hair long enough to put it up like this http://www.pinterest.com/pin/125819383314013474/? or this http://www.pinterest.com/pin/566679565582660104/?

browneyedsusan
July 1st, 2014, 06:10 AM
@Nellon: Thanks! (Avoiding the hairdresser helps growth a LOT!)

My hair is now touching shoulder in many places (I have layers, very uneven). The ends are now always rubbing my clothes/neck and I am afraid I'll get damage. I can put in ponytail but that doesn't help much because ends are still touching. I tried doing peacock twist and that kinda been my style lately.. any other things you would recommend for this length?

Try a Gibson tuck (http://www.saralynnpaige.com/style/simple-gibson-tuck/). The front might fall out, but that looks cute! (I put a decorative clip over the "hole".)
FWIW: You're probably not tearing up the ends just yet. When you start scrubbing them under your purse handle, seatbelt, back of chairs; it might start showing up. Some people have sturdier hair than others. (I started making splits around APL.)

luluj
July 1st, 2014, 11:54 AM
@Nellon: Thanks! (Avoiding the hairdresser helps growth a LOT!)

Try a Gibson tuck (http://www.saralynnpaige.com/style/simple-gibson-tuck/). The front might fall out, but that looks cute! (I put a decorative clip over the "hole".)
FWIW: You're probably not tearing up the ends just yet. When you start scrubbing them under your purse handle, seatbelt, back of chairs; it might start showing up. Some people have sturdier hair than others. (I started making splits around APL.)

The Gibson Tuck is a very good protective up-do for shorter lengths. My hair is 19 3/4 inches and I manage to make it work. It is certainly worth a try.

Beezle
July 4th, 2014, 09:22 AM
No, my silver hairs seem just as fine as my other hairs. No different structure or weight.
I've always liked women with long hair in buns, still do :)
So your hair got darker through the years or did i misunderstand?
Yes Mimione my hair got a lot darker over the years from its original strawberry blonde to almost blonde in summer. Until very recently I would have called it 'brown' but have now been educated into acknowledging it as 'dark ash brown'. Sounds much more interesting. But ashy it really is. Darkening visibly each day past shampoo day. I'm disappointed that silver hair doesn't necessarily change in texture - another hope dashed for thicker hair.

Beezle
July 4th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Now for coconut..your hair may not like it and that is that. I would try mixing it with olive or avocado and see if that helps. If it does not, give plain avocado a try. It penetrates also but I find it makes hair a lot softer and helps it retain moisture the best. Let us know if you try that. If neither work there are always other options we can help explore and suggest together.
Reporting in on my limited experimentation. I mixed coconut with olive oil as I can't buy something as exotic as avocado oil here. I wasn't so keen - my ends still felt crispy and badly tangled. I then diluted the mix with water and sprayed it on but that didn't have much effect of moisturising though it seemed an easier way of distributing. So I'm now on straight olive oil which doesn't really seem so bad, but I'm keen to try the avocado if I see it for sale. Despite being oiled, my ends are quite tangled which is pretty much the opposite of how I thought it would be. Still, the experiment is interesting so I'm having fun, thanks to your input.

I did read lots of pages of the oil thread, as advised by Chen bao jun, but so many were mentioned that I can't buy here - argan, jojoba, camellia, etc - that I can only test the more common cooking oils first. I can get sweet almond oil and castor oil in the medicinal section at the supermarket but that may be the limit of experimentation possible for now.

Mimione001
July 5th, 2014, 12:41 AM
Yes Mimione my hair got a lot darker over the years from its original strawberry blonde to almost blonde in summer. Until very recently I would have called it 'brown' but have now been educated into acknowledging it as 'dark ash brown'. Sounds much more interesting. But ashy it really is. Darkening visibly each day past shampoo day. I'm disappointed that silver hair doesn't necessarily change in texture - another hope dashed for thicker hair.

It sounds like we have almost the same color of hair. I wish i could see my real color, maybe i like it. I'm not liking the reddish tints in my hennad and dyed hair. I guess my natural hair is more ash tinted, for what i can see at my roots. I don't want to use henna/indigo any more and made it blonder with dye.
The problem is, i can't decide what to do. Deep in my heart i want to see my own color with the silver hairs, but i am still scared :)

Beezle
July 5th, 2014, 06:16 AM
It sounds like we have almost the same color of hair. I wish i could see my real color, maybe i like it. I'm not liking the reddish tints in my hennad and dyed hair. I guess my natural hair is more ash tinted, for what i can see at my roots. I don't want to use henna/indigo any more and made it blonder with dye.
The problem is, i can't decide what to do. Deep in my heart i want to see my own color with the silver hairs, but i am still scared :)

I was very relieved to stop the dyeing, which I have to admit, started becoming less realistic by the year. But of course it's a big step and almost an acknowledgement of a change of attitude. I really think you should take your time. There's really no hurry and absolutely no need to take any action at all unless you choose to do so. If I was able to manage taking a clear photo of the back of my head (how do people do that successfully? I end up with an indistinct blur of a distant possibility of what could potentially be a photo of hair!) we could compare hair colour. But I'm still waiting for inspiration. And the the dreadful kerfuffle of loading the picture! Eeek

Mimione001
July 6th, 2014, 02:18 AM
Thanks Beezle, you are so right! I have to relax because i'm ruining my hair by switching colors. "No need to take any action", i will write this down, thank you! I don't know why i try to hurry things, it doesn't work :)
Taking pictures is difficult and i haven't succeed yet to place them here. I tried to make a signature picture but i can only see it when i open my profile. Maybe it will show later? That is a picture with the henna-gloss in it (to reddish for my taste).

Beezle
July 7th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Hi Mimione - I'm a lot older than you and certainly had my dyed hair long after your age - like 10 years after! So there's plenty of time to decide what's best for you, when you are ready. I also found as I got older that my face picked up a reddish look that really didn't go well with any red-toned hair colour, so that was even more reason for me to go to my natural colour (which at that point really was a bit of a surprise).

I imagine the inability to take photos will become more annoying as the time goes on, so maybe some time a solution will have to be found. I haven't even tried a signature picture, so you're way ahead of me!

Mimione001
July 9th, 2014, 02:06 AM
Yes, i think i'm too early with considering quitting the dye. I think you are right, that why i can't make up my mind. I will give myself more time and use Naturtint from now on and wait till i am ready like you and Luluj suggested.
Naturtint has a lot less chemicals in it than regular dyes (no ammonia for instance). Dyeing my roots only, every four or five weeks will be less damaging than what i have done the last few years anyway (i tried nearly everything on this forum :doh:)
I will calm down now :meditate::meditate:

RSunny
August 12th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Does anyone suggest using protein masks for your hair? Mixture of eggs, yogurt etc? I want to make sure my hair stays strong and healthy as I'm growing it out. My hair does tend to be a little frizz ire since it's on the curly/wavy side so I want to make sure that occasional masks won't make this worse.

LauraLongLocks
August 13th, 2014, 04:39 AM
Does anyone suggest using protein masks for your hair? Mixture of eggs, yogurt etc? I want to make sure my hair stays strong and healthy as I'm growing it out. My hair does tend to be a little frizz ire since it's on the curly/wavy side so I want to make sure that occasional masks won't make this worse.

Don't know about your hair type and the effects of a protein mask, but I can say this much. Do all this experimenting with different treatments and such while your hair is still shorter, because as it gets longer, it's not as easy to do so many things to it. It's just more of a hassle to do any hair manipulation at all as it grows longer. I'm really hoping I have my routine and favorite products all figured out soon because I don't want to keep changing it up. Making the time to do deep treatments isn't as easy now as it was when my hair was shorter.

Johannah
August 13th, 2014, 04:55 AM

Don't use eggs and yogurt. These kinds of protein can't penetrate the hair. Try to use treatments with hydrolyzed keratin/silk/collagen.

In general, protein treatments work best for high porosity and fine hair. Yours is medium, so you could benefit from it once in a while. But there are a lot of curlies out there whose hair cannot handle protein at all. One way to find out if your hair likes it: try it.

If you want to do a DIY protein treatment, gelatin treatments are highly rated on this forum. Personally, I don't have any experience with them.

RSunny
August 13th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

What about beer rinses? Heard those are great for your hairs bounce and moisture

RSunny
August 13th, 2014, 05:15 AM

What about beer rinses? Heard those are great for your hairs bounce and moisture

lapushka
August 13th, 2014, 07:41 AM

And shine as well. Beer rinses are nice, but do try and change up 1 thing at a time; don't try it all out at once. If something goes wrong, then you won't know what did it. Taking experimenting at a slow pace is always a good thing!

lapushka
August 6th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Thought I'd share this here. Favorite short hair accessories video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooODNc3tuHY

Might give you guys some ideas... :)