PDA

View Full Version : Anyone longer than classic ever had a big cut?

longhairedlady
June 19th, 2014, 11:41 PM
Update with pics in post #16

My hair is getting close to knee. For the last few weeks, the thought of cutting back to above classic keeps coming into my mind. For anyone with very long hair and cut back alot of it, what were your reasons and did you enjoy your hair more or did you regret it and why.

I am gonna make a list of pros and cons, anyone feel free to add their opinions on wether I should or should not. Im not fishing for compliments, just wanting help in either cutting it, or moving on from this phase. I havent really had a good cut in a long time. Just microtrims mostly.

Pros:

I think it looks good lol.
Its unique to an extent.
I like the way my hair feels when I were shorts and my hair is down!
Hmmm. I guess thats it :p

Cons:

It takes forever to wash/condition.
I cant braid it all the way to the bottom anymore (I cant reach it!)
I do not like sleeping with it down anymore.
I cant wear it down while bathing.
My hair type has changed since classic/fingertip length. No more waves :(
I worry more and more about the ends. This is a first.

I dont know if this is just a weird hair time for me or what. Like I said its been going on and off for a few weeks or so. I know hair grows back so its not permanent. But I dont wanna be too hasty in this decision. I am sure my outlook on pros/cons is not the same all the time. But right now I am really feeling the negative aspects. Even if you dont have longer than classic I would appreciate some help!

ETA: And also some pics of my hair at different lengths:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t266/tgearjammer/100_0666-1.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t266/tgearjammer/100_0770-1-2-1.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t266/tgearjammer/07b155fa-e781-43d0-9e3a-1389248c10df_zps65e7df28.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t266/tgearjammer/100_2962_zps2d5000a0.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t266/tgearjammer/100_3211_zps0869c50c.jpg

woodswanderer
June 19th, 2014, 11:50 PM
No reason to jump from <knee to < classic all at once. How about taking it off 2 inches at a time and waiting 2 weeks between each 2 inch cut...assuming you cut your own or have a trusted friend who does the trims. I wouldn't want to make many trips to a salon. Sooner or later you will have the perfect length to make you happy.

Honestly, I already somewhat dread my biweekly washing and conditioning and worry over my ends somewhat...and I'm no where near as long.

longhairedlady
June 20th, 2014, 12:07 AM
Yes I do cut my own hair (feye method). If I do cut, that might be a good idea, a little at a time. I was happy with my length, just not lately.

I posted some pics. Maybe I should have retitled this thread, "how do I make my hair not frizzy anymore". My hair was so pretty and shiny and smooth in the first pic. Then it just turned frizzy and fried looking. :/ Any ideas on what to do to make it smooth and shiny again without whacking it off? Maybe that is what is bothering me? IDK. I dont put any heat on if, no coloring processes, etc. Just shampoo/condition/oils. *sigh*.

sparrowswing
June 20th, 2014, 12:54 AM
As someone whose hair is nearly as long as yours, who is also considering trimming back to classic or even tailbone, I thought I'd chime in with my own responses/changes to your pro/con list. Mostly I've just been plowing through my 'off' days where I wish my hair was shorter and really trying to enjoy the days where I love my hair, but it seems like those 'off' days are getting more and more frequent.

Pros:

I think it looks good lol.
Its unique to an extent.
I like the way my hair feels when I were shorts and my hair is down!
Hmmm. I guess thats it :p
1. I love the way our hair looks at this length. Too bad I almost never wear mine down, and the thought of walking outside with it down makes me nervous just imagining the tangles.
2. It is unique, which I rather enjoy. So far I've never experienced any negative reactions, beyond the Locks of Love suggestions, but my hair is usually up.
3. I know, the feeling of my hair brushing my legs when I'm wearing shorts is awesome. The feeling of it being trapped under me when I sit, not so much.

Cons:

It takes forever to wash/condition.
I cant braid it all the way to the bottom anymore (I cant reach it!)
I do not like sleeping with it down anymore.
I cant wear it down while bathing.
My hair type has changed since classic/fingertip length. No more waves :(
I worry more and more about the ends. This is a first.
1. It does take forever. My showers are at least 3x longer if I'm washing my hair.
2. I don't have this problem braiding; I braid over my head and either hold it with my teeth or pin it with my elbow to keep tension as I braid further along. I can't French or Dutch braid it like this; I just can't keep all those sections separate. I can't do those tiny little accent braids I used to love so much, though. :(
3. I don't mind sleeping with mine down that much, but I'm so used to having a bun on top of my head whenever I'm home that it hardly ever comes up anyway.
4. I'm a shower girl, so this was only a problem for me when it came to trying to rinse henna out of my hair.
5. Never had waves. My hair actually went from almost stick-straight to kind of wavy, but that may just be the constant bunning.
6. This. So much this. I remember how my ends were trashed pre-LHC from wearing it down at waist-length and getting it caught in everything all the time, but I've never freaked out over my ends like this before. Braids don't feel protective at all anymore, because it leaves the most vulnerable part of my hair exposed.

Overall, my own pros/cons seem pretty equal, and for me it (so far) comes down to the fact that I just don't have the wherewithal to go through any significant change right now. I keep telling myself I'm still very happy with it, but I think I'm mostly still growing my hair out because I desperately want to reach knee length.

Hopefully someone who has already been here and decided to cut can share their experiences.

longhairedlady
June 20th, 2014, 02:19 AM
sparrowswing, Im glad to know that Im not alone! ETA: Ill will have to try the braid ideas you suggested!

Ok after going through my hair pics after posting this I started thinking about what has changed with my hair care. Alot has.

In the first pic i was using Dove Shine Boost shampoo and conditioner. Then they discontinued it! I have been bouncing around since then trying to find a shampoo and conditioner that works. :(

I shampooed the entire length. Shortly after that first pic I stopped shampooing the length.

I use to buy garnier herbalife hair dye for the little conditioner packs that come with it. I got some from my sister one time and was hooked. That is some awesome stuff!

I was using coconut oil, at some point I switched to olive oil.

So my new plan, I printed off the ingredient list for the Dove shine Boost. I am gonna try and find some similar. Go back to shampooing the whole length. Buy some of that hair dye so I can get the conditioner packs! (I already checked, they cant be purchased separately). And I got some cocnut oil in mah harr right now :D

Maybe this will help. I dont wanna cut. But seeing my pics like that I have to get my hair in better shape. Cutting it isnt gonna help that. Ill just have shorter, frizzer hair. :/

lapushka
June 20th, 2014, 02:24 AM
I went from classic to a page boy cut when I was 10/11. Big shock. Especially because I had it cut out of frustration. I could have had the hairdresser cut a small piece off, but I didn't. I chopped it all off out of frustration. Why? Because the last couple of weeks I was constantly sitting on it, and I hated that. I still regret that chop, come to think of it. It was a shock to the system. Such a drastic change. I liked it for a day. The next day: hated it with a vengeance. But hey, there was nothing I could do about it anymore!

Bitstuff
June 20th, 2014, 03:07 AM
The most important thing is that you are happy with your hair. I think woodswanderer's suggestion is very sound. Start by cutting off a little and see how you feel.

longhairedlady
June 20th, 2014, 05:48 AM
I went from classic to a page boy cut when I was 10/11. Big shock. Especially because I had it cut out of frustration. I could have had the hairdresser cut a small piece off, but I didn't. I chopped it all off out of frustration. Why? Because the last couple of weeks I was constantly sitting on it, and I hated that. I still regret that chop, come to think of it. It was a shock to the system. Such a drastic change. I liked it for a day. The next day: hated it with a vengeance. But hey, there was nothing I could do about it anymore!

That sounds similar to what I did when my hair was permed, but at the time I really did want the damaged gone and was happy afterwards. Now I dont think I am at that place.

The most important thing is that you are happy with your hair. I think woodswanderer's suggestion is very sound. Start by cutting off a little and see how you feel.

I think I am gonna hold off on the cutting, and try some of my old techniques. I definitely agree about only cutting a small amount if I decide to go that route.

I just got back from the store. Got coconut oil in my hair, (yay greasy head) and got some new shampoo conditioner. Dove Oxygen Moisture. The ingredients are similar to my old Dove line that I used. Not the same, but closer than anything else I have found. I couldnt find the brand of hair dye I needed (for the conditioner packet not the dye). But Ill keep looking around town. If I cant find it I will order online.

If my hair shows any improvement I will try and get a pic for comparison. Ill keep everyone updated.

ladyfey
June 20th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Braid it by wrapping the braid around your neck after you get to the end of your reach, and continue braiding to the end. I went from knee length to a shoulder length bob years ago. I did it to get rid of the dyes hair and have just natural hair. I LOVED it bobbed. I intended to never have it long again, but horrid rude hairdressers made me change my mind and now my hair is ankle length!
I did just have an experience with my daughter having lice, that made me seriously consider chopping my hair off!

RoseofCimarron
June 20th, 2014, 02:45 PM
I just cut mine from almost exactly your length (2 inches above my knees) to tailbone, and I am so happy with it! I did a pro-con list too, and my pros (of super long hair) were FAR outweighed by the cons, so that was what I decided to do. But I did think about whether I should cut it or not for over a year until I was ready. I think your hair is beautiful at any length, so you should do what you want to do!

I also second cutting it in increments. My 14-16 inch chop (even though I was ready for it and happy to do it) really threw my system for a loop! I thought I had the stomach flu or something of the like, right before finals week ugh, but it was just shock. :)

Have you tried a moisture treatment lately? I have a friend who has hair that is a similar texture to yours and she uses coconut milk, that gets rid of her frizzies for a while. Whatever you choose, enjoy it!

longhairedlady
June 22nd, 2014, 10:00 AM
Ladyfey, I had a lice scare not too long ago. I was TERRIFIED lol. And wow at your length!

RoseofCimmaron, I loved tailbone length! It was long enough to please me and still "short" enough to handle and wear down. I miss that length in that way. I have been using moisture since posting this thread, its helping to an extent.

UPDATE: I did cut my hair. It is maybe the same length of my hair in my siganture pic of me wearing the purple shorts. Maybe a touch shorter. I am very very happy with the condition of the ends. When I brush it, no snags or tangles at the bottom. No more frizziness, I am happy with condition of my hair now. I am however sad to lose those precious 3 inches (or however much I cut. I cut it in 1/2 inch increments.) But it will grow back. Nothing I can do about it now.

I bought new shampoo and conditioner. It was a FAIL. It was Dove Oxygen Moisture. NEVER AGAIN. I poured the shampoo in my hand. I noticed it came out VERY slowly and seemed very thick, and almost like glue? So Im washing my hair, blah blah blah. I glance at the ingredient list. (I never read shampoo ingredients, they all seem the same to me). Well it has mineral oil in it. And the scent was so over powering. UGH. So I stupidly go ahead with the conditioner. FAIL. it was so watery. It was just all wrong.

So after all that, I rewashed with some head and shoulders to get rid of the smell. It was like I poured perfume on my head, it was so overpowering! I had to wash twice.

So I now have my hair soaking in some coconut oil. And I am on the prowl for new shampoo and conditioner. My current brand Ive been using H&S shampoo and Pantene conditioner is ok. Maybe since cutting my hair and switching back to coconut oil I can continue with this. Ill just have to see.

I will post some before and after pics as soon as I am done oiling it and I am able to get a good pic.

Beatnik Guy
June 22nd, 2014, 02:19 PM
and now my hair is ankle length!

Pix? Ankle length is awesome! :D

LauraLongLocks
June 22nd, 2014, 02:44 PM
Subscribing so I can see the updated picture and maybe find out what shampoo/conditioner combination ends up doing the trick.

LongCurlyTress
June 22nd, 2014, 05:47 PM
Hi! Just want to say thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding cutting such long hair. I must say that at waist length myself, I am so looking forward to the fancier buns- bee butt bun, thick full nautilus, etc. that I will be able to do once my hair gets longer. I am glad that you only cut 3 inches and your hair is behaving better. I can't wait to find out the shampoo and conditioner etc. that you find that helps out with frizziness. I love the Costco Kirkland Shampoo and Conditioner which are supposedly the generics for Pureology. I love the wash out conditioner and find the creamy thickness creates fantastic slip for my Tangle Teezer in the shower detangling. Still just using Frizz Ease Hair serum for detangling after out of the shower, and then coconut oil and putting it into a bun with periodic brushing out with the TT as it dries. I have very curly 3b/3c hair and this is how I deal with frizziness and knots. Good luck! I can't wait until my hair is as long as yours is! :magic:

Islandgrrl
June 22nd, 2014, 07:23 PM
I cut from knee to a pixie. I did it in stages until I hit waist, then buzzed it. I REALLY don't recommend it. I agree with the recommendations to cut a couple inches at a time until you find a length that makes you happy.

longhairedlady
June 22nd, 2014, 11:41 PM
Hmm. So I thought I cut 3 inches. Maybe I am way off with that guess because the length appears almost the same as my early May pic. Regardless I did cut some length but maybe it was only a inch or so? I am very happy with the condition of it now though! I have done two coconut oil treatments since the original post and i think that has helped tremendously. So I will continue with that. Up until now I mostly did my heaving oiling in the cold weather months. But maybe as my hair gets longer it needs more oil? Just when you think you have the hair game figured out, everything changes lol!

But in these two pics I am using the same shampoo and conditioner. (Head and Shoulders 2-n-1, and Pantene 2 minute deep conditioning treatment.) The length appears the same in the pics. The only difference is the cut I just made, the coconut oil, and then once my hair was dry I put a very small amount of my conditioner in my palm and water it down and used it as a leave in. After applying it I brushed it until it was all absorbed and repeated that a few times until it was smoothed. My hair was so soft and smooth after doing that, so I will continue with. I think that helped the frizziness.

Anyway back to growing my hair and hopefully I wont need another trim until I get to knee!

Left pic: after the trim today / Right pic: early May pic.

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t266/tgearjammer/db05e82f-48b2-4947-a09b-fb96821dea53_zpsfc52db92.jpghttps://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t266/tgearjammer/3f365339-9123-41cb-8d6c-d15e3a248773_zps35b11b87.jpg

hexbomb
June 22nd, 2014, 11:48 PM
My very first haircut at twelve-ish was having fourteen inches taken off. I didn't regret it for years, in fact, I kept chopping. My shortest was an elongated bob two years ago. However, I had very visceral reasons for wanting it gone and now I look back on my long hair and sigh. I agree with the taking it slow approach. Measure twice, cut once. You can't put it back together, as my grandmother used to say.

RoseofCimarron
June 23rd, 2014, 12:24 AM
It looks wonderful LHL! :thud: The after pic definitely looks more smooth and shiny, darn your hair is so pretty! It almost makes me want mine back (yours is the same length mine was before I cut it)... ehh, no I like mine as is :D. Congrats on finding something that worked for you and enjoy your super pretty thud-worthy hair!

longhairedlady
June 23rd, 2014, 12:58 AM
RoseofCimmaron, thank you so much! I am happy again with my hair :D

Savvyhorsez
June 23rd, 2014, 04:12 AM
I had classic length as a child and cut a foot off or more to just above waist. I absolutely hated it. It was like a part of me was cut off that I can never get back.

ladyfey
June 23rd, 2014, 05:02 AM
longhairedlady, it looks great!

longhairedlady
June 23rd, 2014, 08:23 PM
Thank you ladyfey!

OUKess
June 23rd, 2014, 08:40 PM
LHL you have awesome hair!!! Beautiful!!

LauraLongLocks
June 23rd, 2014, 11:57 PM
Wow, the coconut oiling and trimming made all the difference. Looks lovely. So glad you are happy with it again.

Juanita
June 24th, 2014, 02:12 AM
Good that your happy again with your hair. Sounds like the trim and extra moisture did the trick. Adding deep moisture treatments to your routine will help banish the Frizzles .

Drosmand7
June 24th, 2014, 02:35 AM
Looks lovely!! Looks like coconut oil did the job!

longhairedlady
June 24th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Thank you everyone :D

AmyBeth
June 25th, 2014, 11:33 AM
I'm getting a kick out of reading what a hassle superlong hair is! Oh if only I could have such problems! My hair is just shy of BCL right after a trim and it's long than it ever has been, and longer than I ever thought it would get. I so long for all of the pros and cons! I grew it for almost thirty years (with mostly deplorable care) and it just wouldn't get much past waist, so I'm really hoping this time that I'll get to experience all the difficulties of classic length. I don't even let myself dream of knee length.:)

hypersensitive
June 25th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Thanks for this thread, longhairedlady. Like you, I am thinking of doing a big chop. My hair is currently between classic and knee and I want to cut it for all the same reasons you mentioned. Mostly I stopped liking how it is no longer thick and shiny towards the ends. It is also a pain to manage. I want to get back to that time between waist and hip when it was so nice and perfect, similar to your first picture with the red shirt.

I have decided to cut sometime in the next couple of months but now I will keep in mind to cut only a little at a time rather than doing one big chop. This is a wiser way to find that perfect length where I do not have to cut more than necessary to get back those nice ends and thick hemline.

I'd like to know of your progress! Please keep us up to date with your routine!

longhairedlady
July 6th, 2014, 12:59 AM
I cut my hair! I am about tailbone length and love it so much. I dont sit on it, I can wear it down, its all one length again (I had really long bangs growing out). I do not regret this at all! I havent taken any pics yet. I loved my long hair, it was beautiful and unique. But it was a pain to manage and I had just started not liking how much work it was. 45 minutes to wash and condition! This hasnt been a rash decision. Ive gone back and forth with these thoughts of wanting to cut it for a while now. But Im happy now, and I think I will maintain it at this length. I just dont think I will go super long again. After experiencing it, I can say for me tailbone is the longest I want to ever go. I promise to update with some pics soon.

allycat
July 6th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Sounds wonderful! Enjoy! Can't wait to see pics.

lapushka
July 6th, 2014, 04:29 PM
I cut my hair! I am about tailbone length and love it so much. I dont sit on it, I can wear it down, its all one length again (I had really long bangs growing out). I do not regret this at all! I havent taken any pics yet. I loved my long hair, it was beautiful and unique. But it was a pain to manage and I had just started not liking how much work it was. 45 minutes to wash and condition! This hasnt been a rash decision. Ive gone back and forth with these thoughts of wanting to cut it for a while now. But Im happy now, and I think I will maintain it at this length. I just dont think I will go super long again. After experiencing it, I can say for me tailbone is the longest I want to ever go. I promise to update with some pics soon.

I'm so glad you're happy with it. It's a huge chunk of hair to cut off, about 2 years' worth of growth, I'm guessing? Very brave of you to cut it all in one go. :thumbsup:

LauraLongLocks
July 6th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Wow, I'm surprised you decided to go for such a large chop, but I am glad you are happy with it. I can't wait to see your pictures.

RoseofCimarron
July 6th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Oh my gosh, you did it?!?! :hifive: I can't wait to see pics! I'm glad that you are happy with your decision and I hope you enjoy your new length as much as I have been (I guess great minds think alike, huh? :wink:). Just out of curiosity, how many inches did you cut off? I know I cut at least 14, maybe up to 16 after evening it up.

longhairedlady
July 6th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Lapushka yep I looked back at my length pics and thats about 2 years of growth. WOW!

I need to add that I might have done this a little impulsively. I love the ease of it right now, but I am starting to feel a little regret about it being this short. BUT. Its all one length now, no more of those long bangs that were bothering me. So if I grow it back out my hemline will be even better. And OMG my hemline is super thick now! I am so happy about that, its a huge difference! I am about to go wash and condition it (and yay it wont take 45 minutes!!). Ill take pics whenever it dries.

So all in all, there are some ups to this, and a few downs. Its all good though, its hair and it will grow back. Some of what was cut was damaged from me not brushing right, ripping ponytails through it, etc. So maybe this is a fresh start.

Hopefully I dont have a huge meltdown soon over this. :p

longhairedlady
July 6th, 2014, 11:57 PM
Rose, Im not sure cause I didnt measure it. But it was a good bit!

LauraLongLocks
July 8th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Two days later and it's still not dry? :P ;)