PDA

View Full Version : Warm plopping (oh that sounds soooo bad!)

Rini
September 18th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I've stumbled across a method of drying for finer wurlies who have trouble making the curls stay formed.

I know plopping is nothing new, but I've never really had much success with it.....until I started warming the towel up in the tumble dryer before I use it!

My method:
wash hair as usual,
use your normal leave-in (or not),
hang upside down and hold small pre-warmed microfibre towel flat in hands,
raise towel up so that the hair "piles up" on it until you reach your head,
wrap ends behind head and secure with claw clip.
All your hair is inside the towel nowThen, I go sit in the warm sun, or in front of a warm heater (whichever is available at the time). After about an hour, I bend over and undo the towel and slowly stand up being careful not to touch my hair (just kind of angle your head around gently so the hair falls roughly in place) Let the rest airdry.

I think the difference is in the warming, it speeds up the drying time but not too much so that it frizzes. I really like the results of this, I get lovely ringlets which actually look shiny :inlove:

I have pics coming soon.

I hope this helps you if you have been having trouble with the plopping method.:blossom:

Dientje
September 18th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I have read some description on plopping, but I still don't quite understand how to do this. Do you just roll up the towel as you would do with a curler, but then include all you hair? I'd really like to try it sometimes, since I lover curls and waves...

TennesseeGirl
September 18th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I also read about the plopping method and I am not understanding it to well either. I am glad I am not the only one...lol

Calista
September 18th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Rini, warm plopping sounds ok actually. Heat plopping - now how´s that for a scare? :lol:

Curlsgirl
September 18th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Rini thanks for posting this! I may have to try it. Any tips for how to secure the towel? I can never seem to get it "anchored" the right way. :confused: It wants to fall down every time.

Silver & Gold
September 18th, 2008, 07:14 AM
What a great idea! I'm going to have to try this. My hair is barely long enough for this technique to look nice but I think the addition of the warm towel would help.

By the way, I used to use a hairclip but I've found a scrunchie works even better in the back. I just tie it off like a ponytail except that I only need take the scrunchie around once.

Manako
September 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I guess I am not familiar with the technique, how is it different from just wrapping your hair in the towel turban-style? I might try the warming part, as my hair is rather curly, but a bit too frizzy for my liking. Sounds like a good excuse to keep my towel on the radiator for toasty warmness when winter comes.

liseling
September 18th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I have read some description on plopping, but I still don't quite understand how to do this. Do you just roll up the towel as you would do with a curler, but then include all you hair? I'd really like to try it sometimes, since I lover curls and waves...

Not really... This is how I do it:
-Lay out a rectangular shaped microfiber towel (absorbent but not fuzzy) on the bed or couch or whatever.
-Gently bend at the waist so your hair is hanging upside-down in front of you
-lower the ends of your hair down onto the middle of the towel and keep lowering your hair into the "pile" the forms until the top of your head is against thatpile of hair on the towel.
-Keeping your head there, grab a side of the towel in each hand and start twisting them so that the towel starts tightening around the top of your head and your hair.
-When it's tight enough for the hair not to fall out, stand upright again and somehow secure the twisted ends of the towel at the back of your head (if the towel is a long enough rectangle then you could tie the ends).

stinamoo
September 18th, 2008, 08:47 AM
**deleted**

Rini
September 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks for that description Liseling! The difference in my method is instead of lowering my hair toward the towel, I bring the towel up toward my hair (but still piling the hair up until the towel reaches my head.)

Curlsgirl, I've been using a small towel (hand towel size) so when it meets in the back of my head, there is not enough towel to tie off or wrap. I just use a medium sized claw clip to grab the towel together. It stays really well. Also, using a smaller towel means there is no weight to hold up and it doesn't slip at all. Hope that makes sense?

renarok
September 18th, 2008, 11:26 PM
if you go to this site:

http://www.jessicurl.com

there are video tutorials on plopping. I have had very mixed results. Sometimes my hair looks great, sometimes it looks like I've inserted my finger in a light socket.

I have used most of the jessicurl products and they are good. I especially like the cleansing cream. It is a great shampoo substitute. It is like CO with a little more cleansing. Really nice.

winter_star
September 19th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Thanks Rini, that sounds great. I love the idea of using a warm towel. I'm going to trty thisout when I wash my hair next. My ahir always curls when wet so I'm hoping for a few nice waves.

liseling
September 19th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Thanks for that description Liseling! The difference in my method is instead of lowering my hair toward the towel, I bring the towel up toward my hair (but still piling the hair up until the towel reaches my head.)

I think that way must be more convenient since you dont need something to lay the towel on. But I've bungled it every time I've tried it - holding the towel up, twisting the ends, and keeping the hair inside the towel all at the same time is apparently too much of a trial for my motor skills!