PDA

View Full Version : self-conscious about updos

mamaherrera
June 19th, 2014, 07:19 PM
:run:I get a bit self-conscious about putting all my hair back, because the hair above my ears doesn't grow more than 4-5 inches, so they stick up and then I see lots of "scalp" cleavage on the sides. Because I don't like to use gel, mine doesn't form in little clumps of hair, but rather you see each hair going back, so you see like it's very thin on the sides. How does everyone else deal with this???

NightOwl26
June 19th, 2014, 08:42 PM
I wear my hair back a lot and my hair is thin especially on the sides. I use a fine tooth comb to smooth it out and spread out the scalp cleavage after I put it up.

mamaherrera
June 19th, 2014, 09:15 PM
thanks for sharing, so you prefer to spread it out, instead of it forming clumps??? I see other women who do you gel and the clump look, you see more scalp but all together, and mine is like all over "thin", but then I see other women who goodness, you see very little scalp cleavage on the sides. Just lucky I guess! But thanks for sharing!

ErinLeigh
June 19th, 2014, 09:32 PM
mine look stupid as I hate hair in my face. I have a widows peak and a weird temply area so I look like an egghead.
I can fiz it by wearing face framing bits but when I do I figure whats the point then..I have hair hanging in my face.

I frustrated me to no end. I want to learn to dutch braid and see if it helps but so far I cannot make it work.
I get bummed as I either have to look bad or wear hair down. If you can try twisting and clipping the area... Maybe Panacea will give it substance enough to make tiny twists and look ok? I have been trying that with my short temple areas and it helps a little when I can do it right.

mamaherrera
June 19th, 2014, 09:48 PM
I can't really imagine what you're describing with the tiny twists, but the way you described your head, it's just like mine. I have a big, voluminous forehead, so if I pull everything back I look like an egg with temples that look like they go back like men's, but what gives it that illusion is my big forehead. So yes I usually leave hairs down, which is not fun (the other day with the wind, my hair poked me in my eye and it still hurts two days later), but I've been playing with pulling it back on the sides at least, but my scalp cleavage scares me. Since I have never down hair dos like that before, it's shocking!!

Stormynights
June 19th, 2014, 11:14 PM
I bet both of you are beautiful. Maybe a very few tiny face framing bits of hair will give you more confidence. I actually trimmed a very tiny fringe on myself. They are short enough to stay out of my eyes and thin enough to look like new baby hairs, but just a bit longer.

Nesoi
June 20th, 2014, 01:04 AM
What about accent braiding the front of your hair? Or would that make it worse?

lapushka
June 20th, 2014, 02:20 AM
I just let it fly in the wind. Seriously, I don't tame the wispy pieces, just let them be.

ErinLeigh
June 20th, 2014, 07:08 AM
OP I will look for a video showing twisting the front and sides. It hides temple wispies and makes the sides looks fuller instead of that oval look I get with the egg.
I wish I could ear headbands. It is a cute way to dress up front and hide wispies and keep all of face but headbands look awful on me.

I truly have an egg shaped head. Very narrow from eyes up and headbands make it so much worse.
I am still trying to figure out what to do but maybe I can post a pic of front view so you can see what I am dealing with. I will try it "up" with a few variances to see if anything works
I will upload a pic tonight.

Where is the scalp cleavage showing and what is it from?

jacqueline101
June 20th, 2014, 08:08 AM
I used to be self conscience about my hair. I learned to master a few up dos. As far as scalp cleavage goes I don't know what to do for it I don't have scalp cleavage. I know with my fly aways I wore cute barrettes on the sides to train my fly aways.

Beborani
June 20th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Parting like this might help as wispy hair lie in the direction of growth and there is less less tension on your hairline. You have to play with different partings and sectioning to find something that works for you. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3005&page=1502&p=2741442#post2741442

mamaherrera
June 20th, 2014, 11:19 AM
yes part of it is what you are saying, my wispies on the sides (above my ears) like to go down towards my ears, so when I want to pull them back they make this wide curve to go that way. Part of it is probably that. Which is why most of times I leave them out of updos and just let them sit, but I've just been curious lately as to how others can have their hair pulled back from the start of their hairline and not have that issue. My pics are on my album if anyone wants to see my egg head, but yeah it's that area above my ears, no matter which way I try to include them in updos, you see lots of scalp. And I know I see it on many others, but on some I don't see it, which is why I was wondering if some people have secrets!

Stormynights
June 20th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I was right. You are very pretty. Stop stressing.

mamaherrera
June 20th, 2014, 03:07 PM
thanks, stormy night, no and not stressing, just wondering if there was any tricks out there!!