PDA

View Full Version : Is product buildup all that bad?

lapushka
June 19th, 2014, 06:14 PM
This is *really* interesting, you guys!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYRYe5y1msg

Part two was just posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PFKSdYAo04

Nadine <3
June 19th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Very interesting! I got build up on my scalp when I tried CO washing. It took awhile, but it did build up and it was GROSS. I've had build up on my hair as well...while that wasn't fun, it was only the end of the worls because at the time I didn't know what the heck was wrong with my hair...so I cut it off.

Arwenlily
June 19th, 2014, 08:12 PM
I think this may have happened to me when I only washed my hair 2 times a week. That gunk was definitely present and I believe affected my hair growth as I did not grow even a 1/4 inch last month! I recently switched to washing my hair every 3 days instead of every 5 days and I may have to wash more frequently, not sure yet.

ErinLeigh
June 19th, 2014, 09:38 PM
about to watch but my guess is yes. Buildup blocks moisture from getting in thus drying hair over time.
Now to watch and learn. BE back

edit..good video, I cannot find part 2 though wah

lapushka
June 20th, 2014, 01:53 AM
edit..good video, I cannot find part 2 though wah

No that part is coming up, has yet to be posted. When it's up (I'm subbed), I'll post it! Or anyone else can post it as well (in case it slips my mind).

Selkie-
June 20th, 2014, 02:24 AM
Wow, interesting video. Looking forward to part two.

Thanks for posting Lapushka.

lapushka
June 20th, 2014, 03:25 AM
Wow, interesting video. Looking forward to part two.

Thanks for posting Lapushka.

You're welcome. I like scouring YT for nice videos.

ErinLeigh
June 20th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Oh thank you. Cant wait for part 2. It was a well done video/ No useless chatter.

Miss_Green
June 20th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Best video I've seen in ages! I think this explains a lot of issues - I generally wash my hair once or twice a week but think I really need to up this to three or four times. Perhaps the curls in my hair are causing the sebum buildup she mentions, as I do tend to get an itchy scalp (and buildup) pretty fast. I had been trying to ignore it, assuming that the less washes, the better.

Guess I need to listen to my body more!

Anje
June 20th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Very interesting. I do think there's a balance -- when I shampoo my scalp frequently, I find that I get a lot more sebum production and often dryness. That doesn't happen with everyone (I seem to be a definitive case of having skin that reacts to dryness by pumping out oil, and some people don't do that), but it still makes it apparent that over-cleansing is also a potential problem. Within a few weeks of going to CO from shampooing, I easily go twice as long between washes simply because my scalp isn't gunked up. But certainly, once it starts getting gunky again, it's time to wash!

Katyusha
June 20th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Do any of you know if build-up can cause serious problems like clogged follicles (folliculitis) or shedding? My BF who has waist length hair is currently on antibiotics and scalp treatment because he has folliculitis. We tried to determine what the cause could be and I'm guessing it might be because of build-up. What do you guys think?

lapushka
June 20th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Do any of you know if build-up can cause serious problems like clogged follicles (folliculitis) or shedding? My BF who has waist length hair is currently on antibiotics and scalp treatment because he has folliculitis. We tried to determine what the cause could be and I'm guessing it might be because of build-up. What do you guys think?

I think this might be up to the doctor to figure out. :flower:

kitcatsmeow
June 20th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Really thanks for posting this! I was worried because I wasn't getting the normal "build up" under my nails when scritching (I wash once a week) and thought my scalp had stopped producing sebum. After watching this though I think the fact that I've been doing scalp massages and using EO like rosemary, my scalp my actually be in better condition. :)

I also now think that may have been a factor in my shed. I normally neglect my hair but when I was really sick this past winter I REALLY neglected it. Like a wash once every 2 weeks and barely touched it otherwise. Yikes.

Katyusha
June 20th, 2014, 09:58 AM
lapushka he is planning to ask in the next appointment, but we were still curious :)

Arwenlily
June 20th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Also, I wanted to add I think it affected shedding too. When I started washing less, I was shedding more.

butter52
June 20th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Mmm its very interesting but I would like to know how acurate it actually is.

lapushka
June 26th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Part two was just posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PFKSdYAo04

Sharysa
June 26th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Has anyone had the problem where they DIDN'T have buildup? Even when I was using commercial shampoo, I don't remember ever having problems with needing to clarify either my scalp or my ends.

Maybe I was just lucky with using products that didn't build up?

renia22
June 26th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Has anyone had the problem where they DIDN'T have buildup? Even when I was using commercial shampoo, I don't remember ever having problems with needing to clarify either my scalp or my ends.

I don't know, but I have an aunt who is in her 60s and all she will use is Finesse moisturizing shampoo plus conditioner, and has only used this since it came out (in the 80s sometime?) Her hair is beautiful, shiny and silvery. I don't think she even knows what clarifying or chelating is, nor would she probably care if anyone told her. She's happy with that one product.

Me, not so much...I'm all too familiar with build up :(

Thanks for posting the videos, lapushka

tigerlily.
June 26th, 2014, 08:01 PM
That was so interesting, thanks for posting Lapushka! I've always thought that part of the reason my scalp gets sore if I don't wash often enough was because of the bacteria from my sebum. I have really oily skin and if I don't wash my face daily I get spots, so I figured it was a similar thing with my scalp. About to watch part two!

Tall Blond(ish)
June 26th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I found part 2 a little disappointing. I have oily, stubborn sebum build-up even though I use virtually no products. Having tried a LOT of different approaches, I was hoping for something a bit more enlightening than "use shampoo".

bunnylake
June 26th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Yay for daily washing!
I can't imagine not washing my hair at least every other day. I feel gross otherwise. But my scalp produces a lot of sebum and my hair gets weighed down fast. I also think my hair grows faster when I use sulfates, believe it or not. It would make sense that a deep cleansing shampoo would keep the follicles clear, enabling the hair to grow faster.

MINAKO
June 26th, 2014, 10:03 PM

Me. I use the "worst kind" of insoluble Conditioners and serums in my hair and just use my CO conditioner to clean, not ever a shampoo or (god forbid) a clarifying one.
My hair gets just clean enough and my scalp all the way.
I don't believe in build up that would be severe enough to affect hair growth, like in "clogged follicles" ...uhm there would be pimples all over the scalp if that happened, because the body would not simply stop producing sebum just because these tiny wholes are sealed. Plus, who on earth puts any product but the one they cleanse with (or certain oils) directly on their scalp? Even if you smooth it over with both hands its very unlike that this end in the scalp being completely covered in product.

Larki
June 26th, 2014, 10:11 PM
I also don't think I get build-up. I've used coney, SLS free S&C in the past for long periods of time (yr+) and had no problems.

Bitstuff
June 27th, 2014, 02:58 AM
I think these two videos apply more to those with type 4 hair. She explains in part 1 how in cases of very kinky or curly hair, sebum cannot travel down the hair strands at all because of the shape of the hair, and gets stuck on the scalp. This wouldn't really happen with other hair types. I dare say, types 1 and 2 definitely cannot get away with using nearly as much product and as rich, and washing as infrequently as 3 and especially 4 can.

lapushka
June 27th, 2014, 03:59 AM
I think these two videos apply more to those with type 4 hair. She explains in part 1 how in cases of very kinky or curly hair, sebum cannot travel down the hair strands at all because of the shape of the hair, and gets stuck on the scalp. This wouldn't really happen with other hair types. I dare say, types 1 and 2 definitely cannot get away with using nearly as much product and as rich, and washing as infrequently as 3 and especially 4 can.

True that, but that doesn't take away from the fact that some things like "product buildup" are universal and they can be remedied by washing more frequently or clarifying once in a while.

Bitstuff
June 27th, 2014, 04:14 AM
lapushka, I took that away from the videos as well; the effects may not be extreme for some hair types and persons, but this doesn't mean what she says is not true or useful, just like you said. All her videos are definitely informative; I think I've watched most of them after you posted this one :)

lilin
June 29th, 2014, 02:09 AM
Interesting. I'm guilty of waiting too long to wash.

I don't use any insolubles that I know of, but I've been thinking about how long it's really been, and that's... a long time. Does anyone know of SLS-free claryifying tricks? SLS wrecks me -- it even gives me cystic acne. Not willing to tough it.

ErinLeigh
June 29th, 2014, 06:01 AM
There are some SLS free clarifying shampoos. Itely makes one that cleanses really well. Pureology does too but it is hideous and has a silicone in it.
I think a lot of sulfate free shampoos are strong enough to clarify such as ones with Cocamidopropyl Betaine. Just not the "natural" ones made from herbs and such.

lapushka
June 29th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Bumble and bumble do one, I think? I'm not sure it's sulfate free. It's their surf one.

lilin
June 29th, 2014, 04:51 PM
There are some SLS free clarifying shampoos. Itely makes one that cleanses really well. Pureology does too but it is hideous and has a silicone in it.
I think a lot of sulfate free shampoos are strong enough to clarify such as ones with Cocamidopropyl Betaine. Just not the "natural" ones made from herbs and such.

Thanks so much. :) I took a look at a root of mine, and I am fairly sure I should "start fresh," as it were. A product for occasional use is fine to me. I just wasn't looking forward to having to pick between SLS and baking soda. Acne or wrecked hair? Hm...