PDA

View Full Version : Is white wine vinegar okay to use as a vinegar rinse?

Larki
June 19th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I want to try doing a vinegar rinse, but the only kind we have in the house is white wine vinegar, not plain white distilled. Is that alright? I was planning on doing 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar.

meteor
June 19th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Double post, sorry.

meteor
June 19th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I think it should be fine. Quality-wise, it's certainly not worse than white distilled vinegar, and I've never heard of white wine vinegar changing hair color, like ACV can do on blonde hair.

But your concentration is way too high. I'd use only 1 tbsp per 1 cup of water, or even less. Too much acidity can damage hair.

Anje
June 19th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Your vinegar should be fine, though probably is more expensive in the long run. :) But definitely dilute it more! A solution that's 1/10th vinegar is plenty for most folks with most water, and some like it milder than that.

Larki
June 19th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks! I don't plan on making this a regular thing, I just wanted to give it a try and see what happens! I'll use less vinegar, thank you!

roseomalley
June 19th, 2014, 03:03 PM
I always use white as I am silver-haired. Apple Cider zvinegar can cause yellowing of light blonde or silver hair. White is just fine for anyone.

Panth
June 19th, 2014, 09:35 PM
I use white wine vinegar and it's fine (better, even, if you're blonde and want to avoid the yellowing sometimes associated with ACV). As others have said, you should dilute it a lot more than you suggest - I generally do 1/2-1 teaspoon vinegar in one tumbler of water.

You can also use regular white vinegar (the stuff used for pickling), which is cheaper but also more concentrated usually, so needs diluting more.

Larki
June 19th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks! I did a vinegar rinse today and didn't notice a difference in my hair. :( Oh well, I guess I won't be doing that again!

I wonder why it didn't do anything? I used about a third of a cup of vinegar and about a cup and a half of water.

Bitstuff
June 20th, 2014, 03:13 AM
Vinegar may not make a difference to you. It helps balance the pH of your hair back to its normal slightly acidic when you have hard water and/or use an alkaline cleansing product like baking soda or shampoo bars. Liquid shampoos and conditioners are usually neutral or slightly acidic.