PDA

View Full Version : I got my hair FROSTED!

Amahaitz
June 19th, 2014, 09:46 AM
I kind of can't believe I did this, but I went to the drugstore, bought a box Clairol "Frost 'n' Tip,' and pulled some of my waist-length hair through a cap just like when I was in high school. I had thought about using cassia or Rainbow Persian Blonde to try lighten my hair, but I guess what was familiar and convenient just won out. And the thing is... I really like the way my hair looks and feels now. It feels thicker, and I feel like the whiter blond brightens my face. I'm not looking forward to the touch-ups that will be needed soon, and I might have to figure out something else, but for now I'm really happy. So much for going all natural like I've always wanted (I thought), but I really do feel so much better and more like "me."

Cania
June 19th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Looking fabulous! Love the contrast. Do what makes you happy~

ExpectoPatronum
June 19th, 2014, 09:50 AM
That came out really good. Your hair looks lovely! The white blonde also brightens your hair color. It looks super nice up in a bun! What does it look like when it's down?

kitcatsmeow
June 19th, 2014, 09:56 AM
very nice :)

skeletonous
June 19th, 2014, 09:56 AM
I like it :o looks lovely!

Undomiel
June 19th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Hey, you can always go for natural later if you want. Hair is your accessory, have fun with it and if it's frosting it that you like then that's it :). Btw, it looks stunning!

Larki
June 19th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Looks wonderful!

lunalocks
June 19th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Lovely! I felt the same way about 21 years ago when I had my hair "foiled" and loved the lighter, almost silver streaks and highlights. You were brave to do it yourself and it turned out great!

schnibbles
June 19th, 2014, 10:09 AM
I absolutely love it. I wonder what touch-ups will be like? Complicated? I've never used a cap or anything, so I'm clueless about that.

spidermom
June 19th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Sometimes great condition and natural just can't be the priority. It was for me for a long time. Now I'm contemplating adding a couple of panels of color to some of my interior hair to show up as ribbons of color in braids or buns. I don't want anything done to the hair on top or sides because I don't like obvious roots and don't want to lock myself into maintenance. So yeh - anyway - I get it. Enjoy the new you.

ErinLeigh
June 19th, 2014, 10:48 AM
I really like it! I am happy you are thrilled with it.
Great for summer :)
I totally get what you mean about the thicker feel. I personally like a tiny bit of damage for volume.

dulce
June 19th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I think it looks lovely!

Paranda Belle
June 19th, 2014, 11:06 AM
That really suits you!

Macaroni
June 19th, 2014, 11:12 AM
It's beautiful. If you hadn't mentioned frosting, you'd never know. It looks like natural gradients of color.

jacqueline101
June 19th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I love it. Sometimes you've to have fun with your hair. I have no idea what the maintenance will be like.

pinchbeck
June 20th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Sometimes great condition and natural just can't be the priority. It was for me for a long time. Now I'm contemplating adding a couple of panels of color to some of my interior hair to show up as ribbons of color in braids or buns. I don't want anything done to the hair on top or sides because I don't like obvious roots and don't want to lock myself into maintenance. So yeh - anyway - I get it. Enjoy the new you.

I would like to put a blue or pink streak where my underneath hair is. Something that is subtle. I have been entertaining the idea and thought of using a temporary colour which may not show up because my hair is too dark.

OP: It looks like you did a good job because your hair doesn't have those zebra stripes.

PinkScarf
June 20th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Just agreeing with everyone else. It looks sooooo pretty! :D

ErinLeigh
June 21st, 2014, 01:06 AM
Lookingon my computer and not phone I can see the detail better and it looks even better somehow (if that is possible)
You did excellent job on this and the hair looks so soft and smooth.

christiansummer
June 21st, 2014, 01:22 AM
I'm just gonna jump on board and say I also think it looks great!

Drosmand7
June 21st, 2014, 02:55 AM
Beautiful !! Looks really healthy and shiny :blossom:

kganihanova
June 21st, 2014, 07:57 AM
That looks so nice! What color kit did you get?

höpönasu
June 21st, 2014, 08:06 AM
I just used cassia Rainbow Research Strawberry Blonde on the very ends of my hair. I like the results but won't dye my whole head, it's a bit tricky to apply cassia.

renia22
June 21st, 2014, 12:54 PM
When I saw the thread title, I was expecting for the photo to look something like this:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd39/elikitty/image_zps3c4c783a.jpg (http://s225.photobucket.com/user/elikitty/media/image_zps3c4c783a.jpg.html)

Or maybe this:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd39/elikitty/image_zps7a353128.jpg (http://s225.photobucket.com/user/elikitty/media/image_zps7a353128.jpg.html)

(Not that there would be anything wrong with that..:)

But wow! Such a pretty streak, it came out great! Very cool!

BrightEyes
June 21st, 2014, 01:25 PM
I totally get what you mean about the thicker feel. I personally like a tiny bit of damage for volume.

I'm glad it's not just me. One of the reasons I highlight is for the extra volume it gives (and the color, or course). It's worth the small amount of damage, IMO.

OP, your hair turned out great! It looks awesome!

StellaKatherine
June 21st, 2014, 02:26 PM
I have some golden strikes in my hair.I think they give my braids some more definition. Though.. To me, I feel the lightened hairs are thinner than non lightened, so definitely no more volume. But I love the effect. Heh, will see if i will just let them grow off or add some more later. With strikes it is good that don't need to be retouching them all the time but can let the hair grow and it still will look good. Btw, Love how your hair turned out !

merrow
June 21st, 2014, 02:45 PM
Your hair looks so lovely! Personally I'm terrified of using dyes because of what they do to my fragile hair, but your hair looks healthy and luminescent.

Amahaitz
June 24th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words!
I think it looks better up :) I really like it and don't regret doing the color, but my hair SO UNBELIEVABLY tangle-prone now. It always has been to a point, but color makes it worse. No matter how much conditioner I use, it takes me FOREVER to get the tangles out after washing, and there is way more in my comb when I'm done. Does anyone have any recommendations for dealing with the tangles and clumps in color-treated hair? I have tried coconut oil and Chi spray so far. On the plus side, the color keeps it looking cleaner longer so I don't have to wash as often. I will probably not do the color myself in the future, because I don't know how to do it any other way than the cap, but I think I'll keep getting it done for a while. I can always revisit "all natural" later.