View Full Version : Question for the silver-haired ladies and gents

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
June 18th, 2014, 10:26 PM
All these recent threads about going gray have got me wondering what I'll look like when my turn comes. So, I had a question for you all- when your gray or white hairs came in, were they the same texture as your hair before? If you had curly hair, is it still curly? Is the curl pattern the same as it has always been or different? If your hair was straight, did it get curlier or wavier? It seems like I read somewhere your gray hair could come in a different texture, but I can't remember where...
Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing about your experiences. :)

trolleypup
June 18th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Most of my silvers are about the same texture and waviness as my regular hairs.

Teazel
June 18th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Most of my silvers are about the same texture and waviness as my regular hairs.

Same here. Some are thicker and a bit more wiry, but mostly there's no difference.

Crystawni
June 19th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Same here. Some are thicker and a bit more wiry, but mostly there's no difference.

Same for me. I notice the ones on top of my head come in curlier and mayhaps coarser to start (wiry), but as I don't see the rest of them as they come in, I don't know how they behave. At length they're all the same. Weird thing to note; my whites dry super fast after washing compared to the rest of my hair.

SilverUnicorn
June 19th, 2014, 02:32 AM
I have salt and pepper hair. My hair is straight and coarse.

I find that my grays tend to be more DRY than my dark hairs. And because of that, they tend to be more coarse.

These days, I need to deep condition my hair about once a week to keep my grays moisturized and healthy-looking. When I was younger (and had no gray hairs), I never had to deep condition my hair.

Othala
June 19th, 2014, 04:16 AM
My white hairs are thicker, stronger and wavier than my black hairs. My white hairs have attitude.

cathair
June 19th, 2014, 04:53 AM
Most of my whites ones are about the same as my darker ones. I have a few that are super curly and kinky, but not that many. Sometimes they look a little thicker, but I am not sure if that is just because they reflect so much more light. I can't tell them apart by touch alone. They do make my over all hair texture look rougher than it is though, because of the contrast between the two colours.

rags
June 19th, 2014, 04:57 AM
When my silvers first came in as a streak, I was 25 and therewas no difference. Now that I'm totally salt and pepper (old siggy), about a quarter of mine are coarser and are actually a bit curly! They are all more dry, and I too have to condition mor now.

SnowbirdRose
June 19th, 2014, 05:37 AM
I have a few silvers. They are definitely thicker and coarser.

Theobroma
June 19th, 2014, 05:40 AM
All these recent threads about going gray have got me wondering what I'll look like when my turn comes. So, I had a question for you all- when your gray or white hairs came in, were they the same texture as your hair before? If you had curly hair, is it still curly? Is the curl pattern the same as it has always been or different? If your hair was straight, did it get curlier or wavier? It seems like I read somewhere your gray hair could come in a different texture, but I can't remember where...
Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing about your experiences. :)

My overall texture actually became a little curlier before the silvers started coming in. The very first greys I noticed tended to be coarse and would stick out weirdly, but now that I'm getting more and more silver strands they're exactly the same on average as the rest of my hair.

I haven't noticed so far that my silvers are drier, they seem about the same to me. Mind you, my routine is very moisturising -- I wash with soap and condition with EVOO and AVG -- so perhaps that's the reason. In my shampoo days all my hair, grey or not, tended to be like straw because I never found any shampoo that didn't dry it out horribly.

dulce
June 19th, 2014, 07:30 AM
I have had curly hair all my life but the short silvers as they come in the front of the face are super curly and I have short curls around my face now with all the new silvers coming in.I no longer can pull it back in front and look sleek and polished..But that's ok,it just gets awhile to adjust to my new look.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
June 19th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Thank you all for the replies. There's so much beautiful hair here! I'm especially jealous of those of you with cool white stripes. I hope when mine comes in it comes in stripes. :o
Glad to hear nobody's curly hair suddenly turned straight when it went gray, I think I might like to keep my curlies. ;)