PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go back to cones?

kitcatsmeow
June 18th, 2014, 08:10 PM
I have been sulfate and cone free for about 3 years now. I really wanna try this conditioner and it has dimethicone in the ingredients....everything else looks so ok and I've heard such great things about it.

Purified water, Certified Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine (Coconut Based hair Conditioner), Kanwa Desert Minerals, Organic Sunflower Oil, Mineral Water, Certified Organic Jojoba Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride, Panthenol, Dead Sea Salt, Dead Sea Minerals, Soy Protein, Dimethicone, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium, Sorbate, Ethyl Hexyl Glycerin, Natural Fragrance

Just wondering if anyone went back to using cones and if you are glad you did. Positive results? Regrets?

meteor
June 18th, 2014, 08:17 PM
I consider silicones to be synthetic oils and treat them as such. I really like cones on my ends (which are more porous and need slip), so I often use them in leave-ins.
As for rinse-out conditioners and even shampoos, I rotate products that are coney and cone-free. I get the best results this way.

arr
June 18th, 2014, 08:19 PM
I think it wouldnt hurt to try it. If you dont like it, your hair will be back to how it was in a few washes. Ocassionally i go back to cones because, like you, i see some great product i want to try, but in the end i prefer my hair cone free. It doesnt damage or mess up my hair at all to try it once in a while. Its fun to experiment! Especially with something as non damaging as conditioner, i say go for it.

Callifornia
June 18th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Yes! I went back and am never stopping!

My hair has a tendency to be fluffy and dry. I was cone and sulfate free for over a year and my hair was okay but fluffy, dry, and crunchy ends. It did the best with shampoo bars but still not great. I went back to cones and sulfate a and now my hair is silky and soft all the way to the ends! I have fewer white dots and splits. Cones just are the best for my hair!

AmyBeth
June 18th, 2014, 08:36 PM
I tried no-cone for about 6 months, and my hair always felt sticky and just tangled unmercifully. Couldn't stand it another day, so I went back to cone usage. Then somewhere on the boards, someone started a thread asking for recommendations for products that provide more slip, and several people mentioned "Kinky Curl Knot Today". Of course I ran right out and picked some up. It is cone free, and natural/animal friendly which is of crucial importance to me. It gives me plenty of slip without cones. Although I never had problems with cones- I had problems without!

Kitten1030
June 18th, 2014, 08:37 PM
I had to go back to cones in my conditioner but I still use a sulfate free shampoo. It has been working out fine I just clarify once a month. I was cone free for I think almost two years but I shed so much because all of the tangling I lost a lot of thickness. I wish I could have figured it out sooner. Actually what I do is use a cone free, then a cone conditioner. I figure I get the best of both. You just have to experiment and see what works for you. It really is trial and error. Care to share cat to cat what conditioner that is you are thinking of trying?

kitcatsmeow
June 18th, 2014, 08:45 PM
I had to go back to cones in my conditioner but I still use a sulfate free shampoo. It has been working out fine I just clarify once a month. I was cone free for I think almost two years but I shed so much because all of the tangling I lost a lot of thickness. I wish I could have figured it out sooner. Actually what I do is use a cone free, then a cone conditioner. I figure I get the best of both. You just have to experiment and see what works for you. It really is trial and error. Care to share cat to cat what conditioner that is you are thinking of trying?

Great advice everyone Thanks!

Cat to Cat lol. It's Adama Minerals White Coconut conditioner. I am also planning on trying the shampoo which is sulfate free and the leave in conditioner which is cone free.

Kitten1030
June 18th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Ooh that sounds good. I love coconut. Where do you find it?

kitcatsmeow
June 18th, 2014, 09:44 PM
��
Ooh that sounds good. I love coconut. Where do you find it?

I found it at my local health food store but I bet whole foods carries it and amazon has it as well. It's pretty pricey though.
I have been using the face wash and mask and love them.

ARG
June 18th, 2014, 11:08 PM
My hair has no problem with cones, but I have gone mostly cone-free because its easier for me to spot damage and S&D it out.

I do have a coney conditioner in my rotation, I use it about one a month

tanchoulita
June 18th, 2014, 11:29 PM
The only cones product I used right now is the Miracle 10 leave-in. I rather not used the cones cause like ARG mentioned, it's a lot easier to spot splitends to destroy. My hair do look more human though with cones products.

Jumper
June 18th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Does it count as "going back" if you only go cone free for a week?

I couldn't deal with the lack of slip when I didn't have cones so after a few washes I "went back." Seemed like way too much damage to be worth the attempt at cone free.

Arashi
June 19th, 2014, 12:26 AM
I went back to cones, but only certain types. Dimethicone doesn't do anything good for me.

Mitzy
June 19th, 2014, 12:40 AM
This is a constant battle for me. My HAIR loves cones. My SKIN, however, does not.

I have some chronic health issues (seriously bad back) that make it hard for me to wash my hair any way except in the shower, and my hair is only at shoulder length, so it's hard to put conditioner on my hair and not get it on my back. Cones make my back itch soooo bad. I try to shampoo, condition and then scrub my back with soap, but it never seems to work. I have very thick, coarse hair so the cones help a lot.

What to do, what to do?

If I were you, though, yeah, I'd go ahead and give it a try.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 19th, 2014, 12:50 AM
I never left cones - I like them and they like me.

Rosa Harris
June 19th, 2014, 02:40 AM
If I go back to water it will be with CO with cones - too much damage from naps without it.

Bitstuff
June 19th, 2014, 03:03 AM
I went back to cones a few months ago. No shame, my hair likes them a lot more than oil. I do need to use shampoo now, and I also clarify every now and again.

By the way, the ingredients list has dimethicone far down the list, which means there's a very small amount of it.

Selkie-
June 19th, 2014, 03:03 AM
I did the no-cone thing for a while but then discovered L'Oreal Evercreme Masque with amodimethicone and fell in love! My hair is now so silky and feels moisturised for days after using this mask.

I have realised my hair loves amodimethicone but doesn't really take well to dimethicone. I still use a mild shampoo without sulphates but do clarify with Naturalmente Detoxifying Shampoo about once every two weeks. :)

Othala
June 19th, 2014, 04:14 AM
I did. Specifically, I went back to Amodimethicone (see my sig). My hair hates Dimethicone and Cyclomethicone so those are still off the menu.

HairFaerie
June 19th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Yup. I tried no cones for about 3 months and couldn't stand it. Dull, dry, yucky feeling hair made me sad. I went back. I do alternate once in awhile and get good results but i won't ever go cone free again.

XcaliburGirl
June 19th, 2014, 04:34 AM
I gave up 'cones for a while because I thought they were causing scalp trouble. It turns out that I have the same problem with any conditioner touching my scalp.

So, I went back to 'cones because they make each hair feel softer and yet more substantial.

pixldust
June 19th, 2014, 06:53 AM
I was cone free for about a year, as when I decided to give up dye I wanted to see how damaged my hair really was. Yeah....it was quite bad. However, recently I picked up a cheap leave-in that had dimethiconol in to see how my hair would get on with a little cone usage again. I figured that if I didn't get on with it, I could afford to junk it. I have to be very light with it, as heavy handed usage leaves my hair feelung a little coated. I kind of like it though. My dreadful ends feel softer, my hair tangles far less and thus requires less detangling. I'm still staying cone-free wuth shampoo and conditioner as I think too many cones would make my hair too slippery. I think it's a matter of trying it. If your hair doesn't like it, it'll soon let you know!

lapushka
June 19th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Silicones aren't the devil incarnate! Honestly! They give my hair detangling properties you wouldn't believe, and it is so smooth from it. Why would I want to go cone-free and have massive tangles? As long as you know that clarifying belongs to silicones, it's all alright!

clioariane
June 19th, 2014, 07:01 AM
I consider silicones to be synthetic oils and treat them as such. I really like cones on my ends (which are more porous and need slip), so I often use them in leave-ins.
As for rinse-out conditioners and even shampoos, I rotate products that are coney and cone-free. I get the best results this way.
I agree and have the same routine. Works well for my straight hair.

ravenheather
June 19th, 2014, 07:08 AM
I am about to try cones again. I have ordered renpure argan poo/conditioner. They are water soluble cones though. Can't wait to see how my hair likes them.

luluj
June 19th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Another cone user here, they are a must for my hair. I tried going cone free but my hair felt coarse and had little shine, not to mention the tangles.

patienceneeded
June 19th, 2014, 10:12 AM
I love my cones and will never abandon them again! I've gone cone-free before, for many months, but never liked my hair during those periods of time. I have been back to using cones for 2 years now and have no plans to ditch them again. Cones are amazing.

Paranda Belle
June 19th, 2014, 11:11 AM
My hair likes cones in small amounts. If Dimethecone is the second ingredient after water I won't buy the product. I also switch between minimal cone conditioners and cone free ones. The ingredients in your original post sounded good.

kitcatsmeow
June 19th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Wow so happy to hear all the positive feedback! I'm excited to try this conditioner. I went to the online store and they have another variation without cones and they sell 2 oz bottles as opposed to 16. Perfect to try them out as the big bottles are like 20 bucks!! The leave in conditioner though I may just pony up and buy since the ingredients look amazing and I need a good leave in.

Can I still use my ACV rinse and oils just the same as I would? Will the cones inhibit the absorption?

Larki
June 19th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I really like cones - although I don't think I've ever gone cone-free, so don't have anything to compare it to. But my hair has no issues, never tangles, and isn't dry or anything, so there's no reason to go cone-free except plain curiosity, and I am tempted to try going cone-free, just to find out what happens. My hair doesn't seem to care which cones or what the amounts are of cones, either - I've used things with a cone as the second or third ingredient, and with cones as one of the last ingredients, and noticed no difference in my hair.

PrincessPhoebe
June 20th, 2014, 06:35 AM
I can't go cone (or sulphate) free for more than about 3 washes. After that I get an itchy scalp and dry, tangly hair. I quite like the effect of a cone free wash - I get much more volume and my colour looks much lighter, but I won't be giving them up for good. I honestly find I get more buildup with the 'natural' stuff.

I also find if I go back to cones after a few cone free washes, I lose a huge amount of hair. Presumably a lot of loose stuff was getting caught up in the tangles whilst I wasn't using cones?

spidermom
June 20th, 2014, 07:06 AM
I love to use a coney leave-in about every other wash to every third wash. Since I use a sulfate-free shampoo, the effect lasts for quite awhile. Then I use a clarifying shampoo probably every other month or so. This is a good routine for my hair. I don't anticipate giving up cones again; they help soooooooo much with de-tangling.

maborosi
June 20th, 2014, 07:36 AM
I love cones when I want to wear my hair down or in a ponytail and straight (since my hair won't hold a wave when I've used cones). It helps dramatically with tangles for those styles. I need to do more protective and secure stylings these days for my job, so I don't really use cones as much since my hair is already super slippery without them.

~maborosi~

Chromis
June 20th, 2014, 07:51 AM
I tried going back to cones for a while, specifically water-soluble ones like Amodimethicone. Never again! My hair was silky after the first wash, but then turned to straw and I had to trim off a good four inches on the ends because they dried out and split so badly.

They might work for some, but I will be staying with my shampoo bars.

Ishje
June 20th, 2014, 03:44 PM
I think cones do not always have to be bad, but it is good to rotate conditioners.

What I do is: I heavily oil my hair, then I wash it with an SLS free shampoo, then I use a cone conditioner.
The next washing I wash my hair with an SLS shampoo, to get rid of the cones, and then put in a mask. After the mask I decide if I want to use a cone free or cone conditioner.
Sometimes it takes a while before I use cones again, but I do know that if I use cones they usually have a positive effect on my hair.

Of course I might totally be wrong, but I always figure, that if cones seal the hair, they will also seal in oils.

Kitten1030
June 20th, 2014, 03:52 PM
This is a constant battle for me. My HAIR loves cones. My SKIN, however, does not.

I have some chronic health issues (seriously bad back) that make it hard for me to wash my hair any way except in the shower, and my hair is only at shoulder length, so it's hard to put conditioner on my hair and not get it on my back. Cones make my back itch soooo bad. I try to shampoo, condition and then scrub my back with soap, but it never seems to work. I have very thick, coarse hair so the cones help a lot.

What to do, what to do?

If I were you, though, yeah, I'd go ahead and give it a try.
Cones make my back shoulders and chest break out. What can you do? Great hair or great skin, you can only have one. Hair wins!