PDA

View Full Version : Growing out layers

hollygraham43
June 18th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Hello all! I am new here and just have a couple questions about my hair (1a/C/F). I have recently decided to grow my hair out as long as I can, but last year my mom had me cut my hair in to long layers. I didn't want the cut but I did it anyways (It's a long personal story) and I have regretted it ever since. I just joined and I have been reading lots on here and hope you can answer some questions for me. I am looking in to CO washing, how can I start that? Can anyone give me recommendations on an itchy scalp? I feel that my scalp is ALWAYS itchy, and I don't know how or which method is best to help with this. Also, is it better to cut hair to the shortest layer and grow from there or just grow it all out and even it out later?

Thank you!

hollygraham43
June 18th, 2014, 12:58 PM
1a/C/iii* sorry, I don't know where F came from.

meteor
June 18th, 2014, 01:12 PM
So sorry to hear about being harassed into cutting hair. :( Unfortunately, many long-haired folks experienced this, and it's heart-breaking.

I am looking in to CO washing, how can I start that?
There's a great ongoing CO thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898
Make sure whatever product you use is good for your scalp: doesn't irritate it, doesn't cause shedding.

Can anyone give me recommendations on an itchy scalp? I feel that my scalp is ALWAYS itchy, and I don't know how or which method is best to help with this.
Ideally, you want to show your scalp to a family doctor or a dermatologist for a diagnosis, because the diagnosis will drive the solution.
Some things (oleic-acid rich olive oil, for example) are great for xerosis (dry skin) but horrible for seborrheic dermatitis.
Some natural things that can provide relief include washes/rinses with aloe vera, honey, chamomile, apple cider vinegar, diluted tea tree oil. My favorite solution for all problematic scalps is neem oil because it's both super-moisturizing and extremely anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, while reducing irritation and speeding up healing. Great stuff to have around the house, but extremely smelly.

Also, is it better to cut hair to the shortest layer and grow from there or just grow it all out and even it out later?
Depends on you and the look you prefer.
I grew out layers with small trims. I tried to pay no attention to them and that approach seemed to work well.

hollygraham43
June 18th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Thank you so much!!! I don't think it's anything like that, but do think it is irritated. I will most definitely show it to my Dr the next time I am in. Where can I find Neem oil? I have heard that it is also good for pests and I live in the country so I deal with pests on my dog and kids daily!

meteor
June 18th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Thank you so much!!! I don't think it's anything like that, but do think it is irritated. I will most definitely show it to my Dr the next time I am in. Where can I find Neem oil? I have heard that it is also good for pests and I live in the country so I deal with pests on my dog and kids daily!

Yes, it could be a simple reaction to one of the ingredients in your shampoo or conditioner. The problem is, it's ridiculously hard to identify the culprit: too many ingredients, and usually "fragrance" is a real "black box" where the manufacturer could have almost anything.

Neem oil can be found at any Indian shop (even small ones sell it). It SHOULD be cheap. I got 100 ml for just $5. Maybe gardening shops will have it, too, but make sure you get 100% pure stuff. You are right, it's great in the garden (makes all insects and pests stay away, helps the plants grow and safe for people to ingest), and great on pets (kills bugs, lice and eggs). It's also great for fighting acne and for healing wounds. But it does smell horrendous, like burnt garlic or something.

Medievalmaniac
June 19th, 2014, 08:31 AM
In terms of growing out layers, I actually logged in to see if there is a support group for this. I had to shave my head entirely in 2011 to undergo cancer treatment and have been growing back my hair ever since. I am ALMOST at BSL in the back, but the front is just grazing my collarbone. I didn't have layers before, and it is making me insane. Every time I do a bun, the top layers stick out because they can't tuck with the rest of the bun yet. I have started twisting them together first, then incorporating them into the rest of the bun, and that seems to be working better, but UGH. I feel you on the layers. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to your question about whether to just cut to the shortest layer or keep micro-trimming until everything gets to the longest layer--I think it really depends on your personal style and feelings on the matter. For me, the idea of cutting everything to shoulder length again after the trauma of losing my entire mane is too much to handle, and I've only just gotten to the point where I can enjoy using many of my hairtoys again, so there is no way I'm cutting to collarbone simply to get rid of the layers--I am sucking it up and making do with trims. But for someone else, it might make much more sense to just get it all over with and grown from one length. It's all in what you can and want to handle. :flower:

kitcatsmeow
June 19th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Research Essential Oils for itchy scalp. I know there are several that can help! Also maybe look at the ingredients in your shampoo and conditioner. You may have chemical sensitivities and may want to switch to all natural...just conditioner if you end up CO. Also ACV rinses are wonderful.

As far as cutting out layers....I had broken layers that were literally only a couple inches long from chemical, heat and teasing damage. I also had bangs that were growing out. My hair was about BSL and I cut it to shoulder. It was the best decision in my case since I had a lot of damage and so many layers. I still have layers but not nearly as spread out or as many and I'm at waist now and plan on microtrimming and maintaining until it's even. Good luck! Lots of info and help in these forums :)

Decemberrose
June 20th, 2014, 02:50 PM
For growing out layers I find the Microtrimming and Maintaining Club to be very helpful.
Maybe try only cutting 0.5 cm pr month, that way you still gain length while the layers slowly catch up :)