PDA

View Full Version : 'Meet the Rapunzel Family' article

emilia1992
June 18th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Saw this while browsing the Huffington Post - a lady with floor-length hair, and her three cute daughters with classic (or soon to be classic) length hair. I like this article - although it's posted in the 'weird news' section (fair enough I guess - hair length is hardly the usual headline-maker), it is very complimentary about the four ladies, rather than try to make it controversial or sensationalist in some way.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/18/rapunzel-family-mother-super-long-hair_n_5506332.html?utm_hp_ref=uk-weird-news

truepeacenik
June 18th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Pony tail length competitions? I've never heard of those.

I cringed on the merry go round scene. Yeah, loose for the camera I know. But my son once had his hair stepped on lying down on one, with another child pushing. They aren't very high up.

I wonder how an American television reporter would have handled this same footage.

CousinItt
June 18th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Because I can't help myself,I read the comments and they made me roll my eyes. People and their judgements.

meteor
June 18th, 2014, 10:55 AM
That was great! :D What a lovely family! And the ladies at the salon were extremely nice and friendly. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Lots of very LHC-friendly ideas were mentioned there like using tons of conditioner, avoiding salons, putting hair up (I love her knot bun!) and trimming pretty conservatively.

Fericera
June 18th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Because I can't help myself,I read the comments and they made me roll my eyes. People and their judgements.

I was annoyed at those too. Disabling? ******izing? Lots of undue judgement going on there considering the lady seemed to love her long hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 18th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Man, those comments! But the article was great.

Fairlight63
June 18th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Their hair is so pretty & looked so healthy! I liked it when she said that she is letting her girls do what they want with their hair -she is not forcing them to grow it long, it is their decision.

ARG
June 18th, 2014, 02:43 PM
I didn't read the comments because I figured it'd be much the same as any others, especially since she admitted to keeping her hair long because her husband enjoys it. Frankly, I started growing it out because my husband asked me to, he always enjoyed long hair. When I reached BSL and I mentioned to him that it was 10 or so inches til my goal length, he was surprised, he wanted me to maintain at BSL, which disappointed me, I've learned that I enjoy long hair.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading the article, as it seemed to me a piece written in an admiring tone rather than a "nutty crazy woman and family" kind of voice.

NymphSpirit
June 18th, 2014, 03:49 PM
They look so sweet and I LOVE how she lets her girls do what they want, loved it, thank you for sharing!

-arachne-
June 18th, 2014, 03:59 PM
I've seen this family before... I'm not really one to do something "just because my boyfriend likes it", so she got the side eye from me at first for that, but to each their own. The hair is beautiful! Silly that someone would call it disabling - that's pretty offensive :( Even my hair gets pretty heavy when wet, but I manage to be really active and get around just fine. People are jerks.

Mitzy
June 18th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I doubt a couple of things she said, particularly this, "I tried to shampoo my hair standing up once, but it got so heavy with water it dragged me onto the shower floor. Now I can only do it kneeling over the bath." I mean, I can see she is pretty thin, but really? I don't believe it for a minute.

Also, "Having hair like this makes me cautious about doing some other things too. I accidentally slam it in car doors, it gets sucked up when I'm vacuum cleaning at home, and the kids are always standing on it." Really? How about braiding it or putting it up?

Sensationalizing something that is not all that rare, I say. The comments are ignorant.

Cute kids, though.

meteor
June 18th, 2014, 05:39 PM
I doubt a couple of things she said, particularly this, "I tried to shampoo my hair standing up once, but it got so heavy with water it dragged me onto the shower floor. Now I can only do it kneeling over the bath." I mean, I can see she is pretty thin, but really? I don't believe it for a minute.

Also, "Having hair like this makes me cautious about doing some other things too. I accidentally slam it in car doors, it gets sucked up when I'm vacuum cleaning at home, and the kids are always standing on it." Really? How about braiding it or putting it up?

Sensationalizing something that is not all that rare, I say. The comments are ignorant.

Cute kids, though.

I don't know. Her statements made sense to me. :)
Hair can absorb up to 30% of its weight in water, and, if porous (ends of long hair tend to be porous), up to 45%. Imagine suddenly getting 30% - 45% extra in hair weight on already heavy hair - it immediately pulls on scalp very significantly. Even at TBL I get a sore scalp and want to lay hair down when I'm in the shower, so I wasn't that surprised.
As for stepping on hair and other hair accidents, I thought she mentioned it as an explanation for why she puts her hair up in buns a lot.
I really liked that family! :D

kme81
June 18th, 2014, 05:49 PM
:scissors:

At tailbone length I sometimes hold my neck because the weight can feel so heavy if I lean my head back in the shower, so I can totally see her situation being possible

YamaMaya
June 18th, 2014, 07:55 PM
I was annoyed at those too. Disabling? ******izing? Lots of undue judgement going on there considering the lady seemed to love her long hair.
In what way is long hair disabling? It's easily put up and out of the way if it gets annoying. Stupid ignorant people...

Mitzy
June 18th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Meh, maybe I am wrong. My hair is super thick and when I was at waist length, washing it never caused me to fall down, but what do I know? LoL

I bow to those with more hair, cause youall probably know better than me.