PDA

View Full Version : How to protect hair from pets?

endlessly
June 18th, 2014, 08:53 AM
I recently adopted two 3 1/2 month old kittens and while I've purchased every toy option available for them, their favorite one seems to be my hair. I've tried to do everything I can to discourage them from this, even wearing my hair up constantly when around them, but I personally like to sleep with my hair loose and they somehow always find a way to sneak in and grab it. Then when I'm actually trying to get up for the day, they sit at my feet trying to swat at it. I really want to be mad at them, but it's so ridiculously adorable that I can't try to discipline them.

I've tried shutting them out of the room, but they scratch and cry constantly until I let them back in again, and I've also tried putting them in their crate, which again causes massive temper tantrums.

I'm more worried about the damage I'm causing from continually wearing my hair up in "quick" hairstyles: nautilus buns and buns with claw clips. I'm used to being able to spend more time on my hair to ensure I'm wearing a secure, comfortable hairstyle that doesn't cause pulling (my hair is unbelievably heavy and causes my scalp to hurt), but since they hardly ever sleep and are so quick to get into trouble, I don't have a lot of time for myself!

Has anyone else had issues with their hair and pets? I'm new to kittens since I've only ever had dogs in the past, so I'm not sure if this is normal or strange behavior.

One thing I have learned is that they absolutely HATE the smell/taste of vinegar, so using a vinegar rinse has helped to deter them slightly but I certainly don't want to do that every day!

Anje
June 18th, 2014, 09:21 AM
I've got a cat that likes to try to shred the end of my braid. Occasionally I encourage this, because her swinging at it is ridiculously cute, but I can't have that when I'm trying to sleep. I go the sleep bonnet route, usually with hair loose inside. Stops the attacks nicely.

Take the time to bun your hair well so that it's comfortable, even if it means shutting them in a closet for a couple minutes so they don't get into anything new. If it's not comfortable, you'll take it down, and that'll cause more kitten damage anyway.

They'll mostly grow out of it, eventually. Mostly... :twisted:

ETA: Oh, Cat Dancer (http://amzn.com/B0006N9I68) toys usually go over really well. So do the various devices that look like a fishing pole and lure (if you're actively playing with them). Just the thing for active sproingy kittens!

torrilin
June 18th, 2014, 10:19 AM
While it may be cute now, I'm pretty sure you would not enjoy this behavior in a 10-20lb fully grown cat with working claws. It could get pretty painful very quickly. And I'm sure you wouldn't want a puppy to do this, and you'd be unlikely to let it go even in a small dog. So definitely keep their long term good in mind :). While they may sound utterly miserable if they're disciplined (even if the discipline is a gentle redirection to something much safer for you both), we both know that their misery would be much worse if they hurt you or someone else by accident.

I know that for both dogs and cats, redirecting their behavior into something positive is important. If there are other people in the household, I'd ask for some help with the situation. Playing defense against 2 kittens is going to be hard period. Playing defense against one is easier. I'd also look at their overall behavior and see if there are things that are good for them that they like better than your hair. It is easier for an animal to behave well if there are clear standards.

You aren't being mean by discouraging rough play. Both people (whether human people or cat people) need to agree to roughhouse or it isn't fun.

Most cats like fibery toys. Wool tends to be a favorite, especially wool with a lot of lanolin left in. But human hair, mohair, silk... pretty much any animal fiber is good. It can be dangerous for cats to play with loose fiber or loose yarn, so I never let any cat at my spinning stuff unsupervised. Felted mice filled with catnip are a lot safer and healthier for the cat, or a length of rope or clothesline.

meteor
June 18th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Difficult situation. Cats adore hair, so I can see how it's a problem if they want to play with it in your sleep.
I'd always use a silk sleep cap, maybe sometimes a plastic cap overnight ("baggy" method or "greenhouse" method is good for moisture retention), also, if you can handle the smell, try neem oil - I think it's universally hated by all pets and pests. It smells terrible, but it's absolutely wonderful for hair and scalp and might train your cats to stay away from your hair. Maybe after a few consecutive days like that your kittens will learn their lesson and move on to other toys?

I'm more worried about the damage I'm causing from continually wearing my hair up in "quick" hairstyles: nautilus buns and buns with claw clips. I'm used to being able to spend more time on my hair to ensure I'm wearing a secure, comfortable hairstyle that doesn't cause pulling (my hair is unbelievably heavy and causes my scalp to hurt), but since they hardly ever sleep and are so quick to get into trouble, I don't have a lot of time for myself!
Don't worry about that. Quick styles like nautilus are better for hair than something complicated because minimal manipulation is always preferred. As for heaviness, have you been doing updos for less than 3-6 months? If so, it might be that your scalp isn't yet used to putting hair in the unusual position - it takes a while to adapt. But if you aren't new to bunning and it still hurts, you might need to split hair in sections and do 2 or more buns or something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w

One thing I have learned is that they absolutely HATE the smell/taste of vinegar, so using a vinegar rinse has helped to deter them slightly but I certainly don't want to do that every day!
I don't recommend ever using undiluted vinegar. But even with diluted vinegar, it will evaporate from your hair and the smell will go away, attracting the cats back to your mane.
And keeping hair *constantly* soaked in vinegar is damaging to hair due to low ph and hygral fatigue.

DweamGoiL
June 18th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I have 3 cats. Only 1 is allowed to sleep with me. Not just because we are besties, but she also knows how to behave in the bedroom. If I let all 3 in to sleep, it would be WWIII with them sprinting, jumping, hissing, tousling, etc.

The youngest of our cats, I got when she was 4 months old and she used to cry by the bedroom door to be let in. She was stubborn, too. She cried for about 3 weeks hoping I would eventually give in, but I knew if I did, she would get the wrong message and it would be a lifelong habit that would not break later on. My advice is suffer through a few days of meowing at a closed door and once they are older (after 6 or 7 months), they will still like your hair but will not play as rough. The do learn in time how to play and touch us fragile humans and what is definitely off limits. Thing is whatever you decide you have to be consistent. If every single time without fail they play with your, hair you say no firmly and put them on the floor and walk away, they will learn that is not allowed and the undesired behavior will cease much more quickly.

Undomiel
June 18th, 2014, 12:52 PM
My cat has pounced and played with strings since he was a kitten. I think that is what causes him to want to attack anything long, thin and string-like - but only if it moves. When I need to move cords and cables, I have to put him in another room for a minute otherwise he'd try to go after them all day lol. It's weird though, he only attacks if it's moving and same goes for my hair. Maybe try a long braid so your hair isn't out and moving so much? I do those or buns, also just because my hair bothers me and sometimes gets pulled when I'm laying down on it or my boyfriend pulls it too (boyfriends and cats never learn do they - don't pull the HAIR lol)

Also, with the cats scratching at the door - if it bothers you now I'd do my best to train that out of them (maybe via a couple nights of temper tantrums until they understand they're not getting in? Sucks, but I'm not sure how else I would go about it). My mother has a cat like this.. like if he even hears you roll over in bed when the door is closed (which he constantly waits by) he will meow on and on until he gets his way (as he learned he usually will be let in). They're clever animals and know how to manipulate if you let them lol!

Imalath
June 18th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Luckily I don't have many issues with my cats trying to play with my hair, although it did take me a few months to train them to stop sleeping on my pillow once I swapped to a satin pillowcase.

Cats are each different, so what worked for me might not work for you. I would just wear my hair up whenever possible. Also, if you can manage it, cats detest the smell of citrus as well as vinegar. I have used lemon/orange/lime essential oils mixed in a bottle of water to lightly spray areas that I want to discourage kitty activity in, dropped citrus peels into vinegar to steep for homemade cleaners, and used zest sprinkled over places I really don't like my pets to go--like digging in my houseplants. If you don't mind the smell, maybe a couple drops of essential oil in your conditioner or leave-in might help.

Enjoy your kittens while they're young! Like kids, they're only little once :)