PDA

View Full Version : Taper. Ugh.

kitcatsmeow
June 17th, 2014, 05:57 AM
My hair grows in a V. I hate it. I want a straight, thick hemline more than anything. I've been growing out damaged layers and bangs and chopped my longest layers to SL in 2011. I'm at waist now but my hemline is like a tail. What is the best way/ or is there a way to continue growing while evening out the hem. Should I just get the shorter layers to where I want to be than cut to even it out? Microtrim? Accept my V....wait that's not an option lol.

I did two trims this year and it didn't seem to get me anywhere. My hair is exactly how it looked pre my last trim except for the front. I guess that's at least one benefit...the short front layers are catching up. But if I wait for the shortest front layers (currently about CBL/APL it will be another 3 years before they catch up if not, longer!

ooglipoo
June 17th, 2014, 06:22 AM
I'm afraid waiting for the shorter layers to catch up is your only option. :(

Changing your POV might help, if it's possible... You said LOL about accepting your V, and that may be your best path...

I cut a V into my hair intentionally, because it helps with updos. That V aspect helps my hair stay in an updo. Blunt ends funky to me, sticking out of a bun, but I can tuck tapered ends into/under the bun.

Zebra Fish
June 17th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Have very similar situation to yours. Till apl (maybe a bit more) hair is nice and thick, to bls it tapers a bit, but from bsl to wl same thing :/ My plan is to trim 1cm every month for 6 months and then see how it is doing, if it is any better. Then decide if go like that on, or something else needs to be done. After 6 months my hemline should be much better, if this will work. I'm going for an almost straight hemline, and then I'll go back to a nice full V probably, coz I like it, but when it is done on that purpose, not coz of taper.

Can't really help you as I'm in same situation, but I'll watch the thread in case anyone has some good advice.

CurlMonster
June 17th, 2014, 07:04 AM
I can vouch for micro-trimming. It is pretty slow, but it does get you improvement over time. I am in a very similar situation, I had extremely layered hair which ended up in a 'tail' V hem which I hated. After a year of microtrimming my hemline is much blunter, even though all of the layers aren't gone yet.
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/168/7/b/taper_by_ponycool42-d7mqos3.jpg

Theobroma
June 17th, 2014, 08:05 AM
kitcatsmeow, the only option is to grit your teeth and microtrim. If it's any comfort, I'm in the same boat -- recouping from two severe sheds spaced about two years apart; my ends taper to nothing.

CurlMonster, your pics are inspirational. I've been microtrimming for half a year and I can't see any improvement yet, but you're proof that the process does eventually produce the desired result!

SnowbirdRose
June 17th, 2014, 08:41 AM
CurlMonster, Love your pictures! How often did you microtrim in a year? I'm growing out a pixie cut so it will be a while before I even need a trim.

kitcatsmeow
June 17th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Wow curl monster thank you for sharing that info and pics! How often did you trim?? Very inspirational indeed

duchess67
June 17th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Wow, what a difference in your hair after a year of micro-timming. Beautiful hair! Seeing your hair gives me hope. But for me it sure will take years for all the layers to catch up.

I can vouch for micro-trimming. It is pretty slow, but it does get you improvement over time. I am in a very similar situation, I had extremely layered hair which ended up in a 'tail' V hem which I hated. After a year of microtrimming my hemline is much blunter, even though all of the layers aren't gone yet.
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/168/7/b/taper_by_ponycool42-d7mqos3.jpg

spidermom
June 17th, 2014, 09:05 AM
I agree, just trim the bottom every month to every other month or so. Eventually some of the shorter layers will catch up and your hem will become thicker.

Good luck!

Crumpet
June 17th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Wow Curlmonster, very inspirational photos! I started microtrimming about 5-6 months ago and plan to continue until I'm happy with my ends. I'm starting to notice a slight difference. Its good to see that hair can look so different in a year using this method!

CurlMonster
June 17th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Thank you all, I am very flattered to hear you find my pics inspirational! :)
It evened out to be about 1/2 inch per month that I trimmed (based on the fact that my hair is at very close to the same length now as it was this time last year) but my trimming was somewhat inconsistent. I mostly did 'big dustings' in which I trimmed about 1/4 inch (although I didn't measure) and I would do that once or twice a month. I also did three 1-inch trims.

kitcatsmeow
June 17th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Did you trim yourself or get it done? I'm nervous to let someone else do it but I'm not sure I can dust my own hair.

Theobroma
June 17th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Try the ponytail method -- it's easy! And with microtrims you won't be trimming enough to make a bad mistake even if something does go wrong, which is very unlikely.

And with your texture you have enough wave that any slight unevenness won't show in any case. I really wouldn't worry. :)

Larki
June 17th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Try the ponytail method -- it's easy! And with microtrims you won't be trimming enough to make a bad mistake even if something does go wrong, which is very unlikely.

And with your texture you have enough wave that any slight unevenness won't show in any case. I really wouldn't worry. :)
Is the ponytail method different from Feye's method?

lapushka
June 17th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Is the ponytail method different from Feye's method?

The "ponytail" method usually refers to both compact cut layering methods from the book "Haircutting for dummies".

jacqueline101
June 17th, 2014, 09:35 PM
I agree, just trim the bottom every month to every other month or so. Eventually some of the shorter layers will catch up and your hem will become thicker.

Good luck!
This is the method I used when growing out my layers. It's a slow process and I found a little extra protein and deep conditioner goes along ways. In another words tlc will help it grow and baby the ends with oil and protective up dos.

Quahatundightu
June 17th, 2014, 10:09 PM
I've documented my progress in my picture albums and blog. It also gives a good idea of how slow the process can be with very fine hair that grows slowly. But even if you need patience, it still works really well! Whenever I grow I get a taper and microtrimming is the main thing that helped. I just finished another growing phase so I'm hoping MTing will make a difference again.

Zebra Fish
June 18th, 2014, 12:27 AM

Wow! Hope mine will work good like yours :D So pretty :)

CurlMonster
June 18th, 2014, 04:03 AM
Did you trim yourself or get it done? I'm nervous to let someone else do it but I'm not sure I can dust my own hair.
I did it myself, using the feye trim method. Pretty much, make a ponytail and move the hairtye down to the ends, then bring it to the front and snip. :)