PDA

View Full Version : Advice for growing to waist?

aforestfae
June 17th, 2014, 03:04 AM
Hello, I've recently joined as I am hoping to grow my hair to waist or just past waist, it's currently 28" and my aim is 31" perhaps a few inches longer.
I have 1b maybe 1c hair, it can get quite flyaway and fluffy and it's ii/iii thickness.
It's currently longer than I've ever had it and I am looking for tips to care for and grow my hair.
I don't use heat and wash 2 or 3 times a week, I don't use hair oil much.
I also don't trim my hair often, every 6 months or so.
I don't tend to use protective styles but any suggestions for styles would be helpful :)
Also I'm sorry if something similar has been posted before
Thank you :)

Dessi
June 17th, 2014, 03:21 AM
Hello and Welcome! You have only 3 inches to go, I believe you'll reach Waist very soon. Washing it 2 times a week is fine, a trim every 6 months is absolutely okay if your ends are okay with it :D. I would suggest Search and destroy the splits, if you have any. Braid your hair for sleep or wear a sleep cap. As for the protective style, I would suggest a Nautilus bun, you should be able to do it. If not, try another one with a hairstick. If you don't have hairsticks, I think a braid is okay too.

aforestfae
June 17th, 2014, 03:26 AM
I've never thought to try the Nautilus bun, I shall have to:)
Thank you :)

ravenheather
June 17th, 2014, 06:25 AM
Also try a lwb.

aforestfae
June 17th, 2014, 07:07 AM
I'm sorry but what is an lwb?

lapushka
June 17th, 2014, 07:14 AM
I'm sorry but what is an lwb?

A Lazy Wrap Bun. :)

aforestfae
June 17th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Oh thank you :)

Madora
June 17th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Here's a vid tutorial for the LWB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGfJiBWwvpU

aforestfae
June 17th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Thank you for the video link :) the bun is beautiful

itdontmatter48
June 17th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Something that had a major impact for me was a silk pillow case. In addition I do wear a sleep cap.

tigereye
June 17th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I know with my fluffy, soft hair, a lazy wrap bun never held with anything other than a ficcare, so the OP may have similar issues as it sounds like we have similar hair types. Nautilus didn't work because of the thickness of my hair until almost hip.

However, if it makes you feel better, I got almost to hip in high school through daily cinnabuns held with pencils, and an occasional braid or braided cinnabun now and again. Got some damage from using the same style all the time though. If you can manage a nautilus too, you can alternate between buns, braids, half-ups or down.

meteor
June 17th, 2014, 12:34 PM
I don't know what to recommend since you are already doing everything right and you'll successfully get to your goal in time.

I'd suggest sleeping with hair contained (braided, for example) and wrapped in silk satin (sleep cap / scarf / pillowcase). Smooth materials like silk make a huge difference in preserving hairstyle, increasing shine and avoiding tangles, frizz and flyaways.
Also, make sure you are always gentle and use quality tools when detangling and don't brush wet hair.

As for updos, look for secure updos that require little to no twisting and manipulation: so lazy wrap, nautilus, the knot bun, and the braided cinnabun are top of my list.
Don't be surprised if you can't do LWB or nautilus yet, not everyone can do it before reaching hip/tbl.
The knot bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGTXkUhFKE

Good luck! And happy growing! :D

Panth
June 17th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Do you brush your hair? Fluffly/flyaway could indicate you are wavier/curlier than you suspect. Perhaps try a low-manipulation routine, or a wavy-haired variant of the Curly Girl Method and see if you are more wavy. Hair will generally be able to grow longer if treated according to its hair type, rather than by treating it as if it's straight no matter what.

That said, if you've only got 3 inches to go to your goal, then there's probably not much you need to change (unless you are unhappy with your hair quality). Buns/updos are nice but probably not necessary. Just keep an eye on your growth rate and perhaps microtrim or S&D any splits.

LongHairLesbian
June 17th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Honestly, unless you've got more fragile, dry hair, the main thing you need to grow to waist is patience. Just continue doing what you're doing. Putting it up helps with not thinking about the length too much; when you put it up and forget about it, you'll be pleasantly surprised when you reach your goal without even realizing it. :)

AngryVikingGirl
June 18th, 2014, 06:16 AM
And be careful with stylists. They tend to cut more than you'd like. I think my worst mistake was to ask the stylist to 'cut the damage'. Several times. :doh: