PDA

View Full Version : Braiding - So frustrated!!

Nope
June 16th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I'm about to rip my hair out! I've spent almost two hours trying to French braid my short hair. I've watched tons of tutorials and tried different methods, but my hands just don't understand how to braid, and for my entire life I've never been able to even do a normal braid properly. I can do braids on other people, just not myself. I always accidentally let go of it halfway through and have to start over. And I know it's not because my hair is too short, because I've seen people with much shorter hair than mine who are able to braid. Plus, I couldn't do it when my hair was APL either.
I don't know why I'm posting this, I guess I just needed to rant, hehe. Does anyone else not have the ability to braid, or am I just incompetent? >_<
anyone have any tips that might help?

höpönasu
June 16th, 2014, 01:01 PM
I feel your pain. It was horrible to even learn the fish tail braid. I hate, really hate, learning new hairstyles. I literally can't learn them, it takes ages and feels like I'm torturing my hair a bit too much. I've decided to stick whatever I can already do and not to worry about new hairstyles even I'd love to be able to do more styles that look better.

meteor
June 16th, 2014, 01:04 PM
You are not alone. I'm terribly embarrassed to admit that I still can't do a French braid. :( Every time I tried, I ended up with tangles and frustration. I gave up, and I stick to English braids, big and small. If I want to add some interest, I do accent English braids and/or use a scarf/paranda and it looks a bit more complex.
I feel like people who can do all those sophisticated braids are some sort of geniuses!

shutterpillar
June 16th, 2014, 01:15 PM
It took me years and years to finally be able to do a french braid on myself. I just had to keep practicing, and finally one day it clicked.

Now I am working on dutch braiding. My brain totally does not want to tell my hands to go under with the hair instead of over like with the french braid, so it will probably be another few years before I am able to get it perfect. It's frustrating, but the practice is worth it.

Skatekate
June 16th, 2014, 01:22 PM
You could try braiding on someone else first, or try braiding yarn. There are also ways to clip your hair so it stays braided in sections while you braid.

Larki
June 16th, 2014, 01:37 PM
It took me several months to learn to French braid, and a ton of frustration.

two_wheels
June 16th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Braiding yarn is an excellent suggestion- or even three silky scarves knotted together at one end, then you won't have to deal with tangling. Do that until it's very easy. Then do it with your eyes shut until that's very easy. Then clip the yarn/scarves to the back of your head and braid that until it's easy. Then finally try your own hair.

You can also try saying what you are doing, eg "left over middle... Right over middle...", it can help to keep track.

You can learn, like anything it takes lots of practice, and the right kind of practice (mindful, calm, and with objective assessment of mistakes).

two_wheels
June 16th, 2014, 01:40 PM
It took me years and years to finally be able to do a french braid on myself. I just had to keep practicing, and finally one day it clicked.

Now I am working on dutch braiding. My brain totally does not want to tell my hands to go under with the hair instead of over like with the french braid, so it will probably be another few years before I am able to get it perfect. It's frustrating, but the practice is worth it.

I had this problem too, and it helped me in the end to switch to thinking "middle over" instead of "right/left under", you could try that? :)

Wildcat Diva
June 16th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I'm kind of anti braiding. On fingercombed, wavy hair that is not tangle free I really don't see how a person would do it. I just hear snaps and pops, so I am not a fan.

Stray_mind
June 16th, 2014, 01:54 PM
I think you could try to use two mirrors, to see what you are doing in the back of your head. And braiding yarn is a good idea, though if you can braid other people's hair i suppose you don't need to learn the braiding technique itself. You just need to learn to control your hand movements when you braid your own hair. Seeing what you're doing behind your head would help i think and you'd get used to those movements in time.....

Larki
June 16th, 2014, 01:58 PM
There's a 360 degree mirror from Sharper Image that might help with braiding for you! And with hairstyling in general. :) http://www.sharperimage.com/si/view/product/360-Degree-Mirror/200754

two_wheels
June 16th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I'm kind of anti braiding. On fingercombed, wavy hair that is not tangle free I really don't see how a person would do it. I just hear snaps and pops, so I am not a fan.

shudder: shudder: shudder: snaps and... pops? Eek! I think you're right, I would steer clear too if my hair were wavier!

That 360° mirror looks very useful, Larki. Personally I find it easier not to look, but it depends how your brain is wired.

furnival
June 16th, 2014, 02:31 PM
I'm about to rip my hair out! I've spent almost two hours trying to French braid my short hair. I've watched tons of tutorials and tried different methods, but my hands just don't understand how to braid, and for my entire life I've never been able to even do a normal braid properly. I can do braids on other people, just not myself. I always accidentally let go of it halfway through and have to start over. And I know it's not because my hair is too short, because I've seen people with much shorter hair than mine who are able to braid. Plus, I couldn't do it when my hair was APL either.
I don't know why I'm posting this, I guess I just needed to rant, hehe. Does anyone else not have the ability to braid, or am I just incompetent? >_<
anyone have any tips that might help?
If you can braid on other people, you will be able to learn to braid your own hair. Trying a French braid on yourself when you can't do a normal one yet is just asking for frustration! Braiding is a skill, and like all skills, you must learn the basics before you jump ahead to more complex stuff.

If you were learning a language, you wouldn't expect to be able to converse fluently without a lot of learning and practice. If you were learning a musical instrument, you wouldn't expect to play difficult pieces without spending years learning. The only difference between a person who attains a skill and one who doesn't is that the one who doesn't gives up instead of persevering.

My advice would be to have patience with yourself! Persevere until you can do a normal braid on yourself first. It might take more time and practice than you'd like but if you have the determination, you will get there. Then set yourself your next challenge. :)

diddiedaisy
June 16th, 2014, 02:53 PM
I love french braids and if I could do one I would wear it every day. I get fat bits and thin bits and it's never straight. The only thing I can do is a looped ponytail. I am soooo with you lol

Quixii
June 16th, 2014, 03:10 PM
I can't really French or Dutch braid either, much to my frustration. I've done a couple passable attempts, but far more often I end up undoing the mess I've just attempted and telling myself that I'll try another day.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 16th, 2014, 03:37 PM
I feel your pain! When I was learning to French braid, I practiced every day and it took me a good 2 weeks before it 'clicked' and I was able to do it. Just practise a little every day and it will come to you. Don't give up.

Nadine <3
June 16th, 2014, 03:48 PM
It took me a long time to learn how to french braid, it just took a lot of practice. I started doing them for bed, that way if it didn't look perfect...well I was just going to bed anyways so who cares? After awhile I perfected it. I just recently mastered the dutch braid. I want to learn the others, but it takes so long to learn. Be patient with yourself, you'll get there.

Nope
June 16th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I feel much better now. XD
The scarves thing sounds like a good idea though! And yes, I should really master a normal braid first, heheh.

spidermom
June 16th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Since you say you can braid other people, I don't see how practicing with scarves or something like that will help you braid your own hair.

I would advise that you stay away from the mirror while braiding. It's very confusing.

Keep practicing on yourself and on other people. It will click eventually. I truly believe that anybody with average dexterity can learn french braiding and dutch braiding.

It did help me to minimize distractions and keep in mind what I was doing. "add some hair to the right side, cross over to the center, add some hair to the left side, cross over to the center" and so forth. As soon as my mind wandered away, my fingers did too.

Braiding before bed is a good idea. If it turns out awful - who cares? Of course if it turns out terrific you'll be sad that you have nowhere to go show it off, but oh well; these things happen.

two_wheels
June 16th, 2014, 05:04 PM
The idea behind the scarves thing is to get the pattern of braiding second-nature without having to deal with tangles, or layers falling out which is more likely at OP's length.
Braiding before bed is an excellent suggestion! I learnt to crown braid that way :)

Katrine
June 16th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Funny you should mention braiding frustration, I was having some today! Lately I've been tired of wearing the same bun every day so I've been determined to do more braiding. I can french braid, but didn't want to braid down the length today because my hair is oily and tangly. So after several frustrating attempts at side french braiding and wanting to rip through my hair I managed to get a bit done on both sides - barely. Aaaaarrrrgh.

Please don't give up. There have been great suggestions mentioned, also there are books on braiding that give detailed instructions with helpful pics. I used one a while back that helped with side braiding and is helping me to figure out dutch braiding. And of course there are many youtube tutorials. Although it does seem like it takes forever to learn and can be so frustrating. Give yourself some time when you are braiding and when you start to feel really frustrated stop for the time being and try again later or another day. Maybe have an alternate style in mind to alleviate further frustration if it isn't working out the way you want.

For me I think it was easier to french braid when my hair was shorter than it is now. I think the length your hair is at now is a good length to learn. Less problems with tangling and easier to undo. I think you just need a little more time and practice. It will eventually feel like second nature to you, although it may not seem like it just yet. :)

Tinalee
June 16th, 2014, 05:16 PM
I can not french or dutch braid on my self, but reading this post it makes me feel like it will happen eventually :) Now to practice braiding instead of "rats nesting"....lol

Nope
June 16th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Reading all of these replies gave me a second wind, and I managed to do a very messy pigtail French braid! But only one, as I couldn't do the other side. XD but I still count this as an accomplishment!

meteor
June 16th, 2014, 05:49 PM
For me I think it was easier to french braid when my hair was shorter than it is now. I think the length your hair is at now is a good length to learn. Less problems with tangling and easier to undo.
This is very true. A lot of long-haired ladies don't French-braid much because it's hard to keep tangles at bay when you are adding new strands while the ends tangle or even self-braid at the bottom. At longer lengths it becomes much easier to keep the same strands at the beginning and at the end of the braid. I'd much rather do 5-strand braids and multiple smaller English braids than just one simple French braid.

shutterpillar
June 16th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I had this problem too, and it helped me in the end to switch to thinking "middle over" instead of "right/left under", you could try that? :)

Oohhh! That's a great suggestion, thanks! I'll give it a shot tonight.

Ingrid
June 16th, 2014, 06:13 PM
I've got no problem braiding someone else but on myself... hopeless. I don't really struggle with getting the strand order right, but I can't seem to maintain the right "tension" to make sure the braid looks neat and doesn't fall apart.

LauraLongLocks
June 16th, 2014, 06:29 PM
In case you haven't seen my tutorial, I hope this helps.

http://youtu.be/V16JUEJxEKg

Gumball
June 16th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I'm all thumbs with my own hair, so I sympathize. Find me a volunteer to braid and it's an entirely different story. :laugh:

chen bao jun
June 16th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Practice, as people say.
I actually think your hair looks a little short to frenchbraid easily and I do know that its harder to learn to do on a silkier, slippy texture so don't be too hard on yourself. I'm impressed that you managed something--I'm think you will good at it eventually if you persevere.

Sharysa
June 16th, 2014, 09:27 PM
It took me a while to learn French braiding. Ironically enough, Dutch braids were a lot easier even if they didn't look good at first. Even now, for some reason I find French braiding much harder to get right than Dutch. It also doesn't look too good because the woven effect is too subtle for black hair, but a lot of people have that particular quirk where one type of braid is easier to do on themselves.

My hair is borderline wavy and thick, and braiding does wonders to keep it from tangling or breaking. Plus it helps set more regular waves.

Keep at it! It took me a few months each to get both of them right, but once I did, it felt awesome!

Marika
June 16th, 2014, 10:16 PM
I can't braid either. I've watched so many tutorials and they make it look so easy but when I try myself...no, not so easy. It's just too much manipulating for my fine hair, tangles and snapping hair. I'll stick to my buns.

emilia83
June 16th, 2014, 11:11 PM
http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/self_french.htm

This really, really helped me learn to French braid. It still took a long time, but the "finger slot" idea is really helpful for me.

Now if I could just figure out how to Dutch braid! :(

caromarpie
June 17th, 2014, 12:36 AM
For many years I was not able to french braid my hair but because of Torrin Paige tuto It help me so much.Thisbis the only way I am able to do it on me and now on other. The only thing I needbto learn now isvto learn how to do it on both side.

ErinLeigh
June 17th, 2014, 02:19 AM
I feel you pain. I can "braid" in the technical sense..make braids in my hair..but I cannot do the dutch and french braids I love, nor can a do a soft loose braid or even braid my bangs in a pretty way.
I don't know why but either I don't have the patience or my hair is too thin/grabby?

Selkie-
June 17th, 2014, 02:27 AM
I think it is a lot to do with patience. I never thought in a million years that I would ever be able to learn how to do any braid more complicated than an English braid. But in the last 2/3 weeks I have learnt how to do a French, Dutch and fishtail braid on my own hair. I am in shock! I agree with everyone who says it is just a matter of practice/patience - it is not a magical skill that only some are born with! :D

farmlass
June 17th, 2014, 02:58 AM
I think braiding comes with practice, as has already been said. I can English braid my hair no problem (do it every night for bed), I can crown braid (a little messy, usually takes a couple of attempts before I'm satisfied) but I still struggle a bit with French braiding. It usually ends up very loose and I start quite low down too so I only manage to bring in about 3 strands each side before I've hit neck. The other issue is dead arms from having them up behind your head for so long, but I guess strength comes with practice. I'd say if you're getting really frustrated, leave it and come back and try again another day. Once you get fed up and tired, it's really not going to happen. Keep trying :)

inanna
June 17th, 2014, 03:00 AM
I started off not knowing how to braid either. I must admit I started with a plain ol' English braid, but there's no reason why you couldn't make the French braid work as a first braid too. :)

My tip would be to try braiding ever so slightly damp hair, I find that it helps me keep the sections separate even when I manage to accidentally drop one. Using the braid as a sleep braid or just for lounging around at home is a good idea, because it takes the pressure of trying to make it look neat and pretty. Just start with trying to make one, appearances and fine tuning come later!

thistledown
June 17th, 2014, 03:11 AM
Yep I know what you mean exactly! I can french, dutch, french fishtail, dutch fishtail, lace and french waterfall......on a model. On my own? Forget it. I can do a english braid and a really awful lopsided loose dutch braid on myself. It makes me so frustrated and the whole 'practice makes perfect' makes me want to scream as I just get frustrated and my hair gets tangled and damaged because practising on a model just doesn't work so I'm handling and re-handling my hair :(
Vanessa

Shock and D'aww
June 17th, 2014, 04:22 AM
I always have trouble when I have to switch my grip at the back of my head, it's easier if I close my eyes and imagine the back of my head rather than confuse myself with the mirror. XD

jupiterinleo
June 17th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Practice braiding while watching a tutorial at the same time, and braid with greasy or oiled hair if you can manage that, because it's much easier to control and won't stick.

It takes a lot of practice to get your fingers used to the weird braid contortions. Once you find a comfortable routine for your fingers, the braiding will come much easier. I've been dutch and french braiding for months and I'm still perfecting them! They always come out loose at the bottom.

arr
June 17th, 2014, 07:55 AM
For me the most important thing is practice, followed by extreme patience. I desperately wanted to learn the sea shell braided bun and i did it: i did it twelve times over four days while watching the tutorial, pausing it wherever i had to. I also had to figure out the nuances that tutorials often skip over. I had tired arms and i was irritable, but it was worth it. My braiding skills have improved dramatically since joining LHC and watching tutorials, because i refuse to give up.

Paranda Belle
June 17th, 2014, 08:05 AM
I was one of those people who could never french or dutch braid. About a year ago I sat down and watched Torrin Page's tutorial and that is the only one that made sense to me. I've been practicing ever since and it's almost passable. I do a slightly different version to torrin's now (she adds hair before she braids, I add it as I go along) but the hand hold peace sign is the same.

~Abi~
June 17th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Well, just so you know I'm at APL with layers at CBL and my hair will not stay in a french braid. Now, I do know how to french braid. I learned by practicing braiding with yarn (taped one end to a table), but couldn't do it on myself until someone else french braided my hair while I felt through every step with my own fingers. Kinda like how babies learn to walk by standing on their parents' feet, I learned by following along with a friend's french braiding. Other than that, it just takes practice, practice, practice to be able to hold all the pieces and not let any go. I still have trouble french braiding other people's hair for that reason.

browneyedsusan
June 17th, 2014, 08:32 AM
I confess that I haven't read the whole thread, but wanted to add that if your hair is slippery (mine is), French/dutch braiding is going to be very challenging at your length.
Even at BSL, it's hard to hold the slippery strands, and they slide out if I don't keep constant tension on them. French braids loosen considerably in my hair and look sloppy after a few minutes, so I don't wear them often.

Still you CAN learn it. You've got excellent advice from other members. Mind them and practice. :cheese:

Juanita
June 17th, 2014, 08:59 AM
How I learnt was by doing a lace braid first. Only having to pick up hair from one side helped me get the idea. Funnily enough I could Dutch braid much easier before I could make a respectable looking French braid.even now some years later I am still more comfortable doing a Dutch braid as my to go braid.

vulgarshudder
June 17th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I taught myself to french braid when I had shoulder length hair, I just used to keep playing and having a go at it as I was watching tv. Gradually I managed to get the hang of it. Also I taught myself braiding two french pig tails (two braids going along the sides) rather than one, and I still find that much easier, less tired arms. I also found it easier to learn by feel alone, and now if I try to do it while looking in a mirror it just confuses me, so I just check on it occasionally to make sure there are no weird bumps.

littlerobot
June 17th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Practice makes perfect! :)
You'll get the hang of it quickly.
And it gets easier as your hair grows longer, in my opinion. It stays in place.

You can do it! :cheer:

NatNat
June 17th, 2014, 04:36 PM
It took me a long time to learn to french braid, lots of practice. The only time I wear them is to sleep on now, so they are never very neat, still having trouble making them tidy. Don't worry you'll get the hang of it, don't give up!

meteor
June 17th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Is it just me or do you guys also get roughed up cuticle and tangled hair when you are experimenting with new braids? I feel like it's way too much manipulation and give up quickly.
Or do you only try difficult braids on oiled/damp hair?

two_wheels
June 17th, 2014, 04:47 PM
I find it gets kind of.... sticky? When I was learning to crown braid, definitely. I try to get it done in a slapdash sort of way first. Then leave it alone but try to remember what I want to change for next time. Then the next day I'll try again and so on.

ETA I try not to get angry and if I do, I stop, because I think it's bad for learning

Larki
June 17th, 2014, 04:55 PM
My ends definitely start to tangle or braid themselves while I'm trying to braid - usually it happens most often on French braids and fishtails. I just hold all my hair with one hand and use the other to grab my brush and brush out the ends.