PDA

View Full Version : Hair product boredom - tell me your favorite cheapies

Applegirl84
June 16th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I know I should just stick with a routine that works, but I'm feeling bored and would love to try some new products (a better alternative than cutting or colouring I think). Any cheap (under $10) favourite products?

more details: my hair is fine, a little bit wavy and mid back length. I am open to cones or cone free products and have gotten nice results from both sulphate and sulphate free shampoos. I wash every other day and wear it up the second day because my roots go limp when I sleep. My go-to styling is air drying or blowdrying on warm and then twisted up in a bun for an hour to get bun waves.

Thanks in advance:)

jacqueline101
June 16th, 2014, 10:40 AM
I use vo5 shampoo and conditioner
Tressemee shine spray
Vo5 leave in conditioner
One n only argan oil coconut oil and almond oil

meteor
June 16th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Our hair types are similar in texture, so I feel confident recommending my HG: Vatika Coconut Hair Oil
For about $5, you get 300 ml of pure coconut oil plus excellent ingredients for scalp health: neem, brahmi, amla, henna, rosemary and lemon. It's an awesome and ridiculously affordable and widely available pre-poo. You can find it at any Indian/ethnic shop.

Ingredients: Coconut oil (Cocos Nucifera Oil), Neem (Azadirachta Indica Leaf Extract), Brahmi (Centella Asiatica Plant Extract), Fruit Extracts of Amla, Bahera and Harar Extracts of Emblica officinalis, Terminalia belerica and Terminalia chebula, Kapur kachri (Hedychium spicatum rhizome extract), Henna (Lawsonia inermis leaf extract), Milk, Rosemary Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis oil), Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum oil), TBHQ (t-Butyl Hydroquinone), Fragrance.

Another effective cheapie I recommend is gelatin. You can mix a packet of gelatin (Knox or whatever brand you have around) in half-a-cup of warm water, add half-a-cup of your favorite conditioner and use as a powerful hydrolyzed protein pack whenever your hair needs a protein boost.
Check Science-y Hairblog for recipes: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html

GetMeToWaist
June 16th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner, coconut oil, aloe vera gel, extra virgin olive oil, Organix Awapuhi Ginger conditioner... I'm using L'Oreal Ever Strong shampoo and conditioner (sls and cone free) and they're working pretty well, plus have a very nice rosemary and mint smell :)

prettyinpink
June 16th, 2014, 12:19 PM
My favorite conditioners are

Herbal essences: the sleeker the butter, honey im strong, and hello hydration
Pantene: Ice shine, repair and protect
Aussie: moist, shine

I cannot live without these products

Nadine <3
June 16th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Suave and VO5. I use it for everything.

bunnylake
June 16th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I also have somewhat fine hair that goes limp quickly. I've had good experiences with Natures Gate Herbal & Shikai. :)

Applegirl84
June 16th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Ooooh thanks for the awesome suggestions. I'm going shopping :)

Islandgrrl
June 16th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner.
Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo. I don't use it daily, just every now and then, a couple times a year. But my daughter uses it regularly and her hair is fine, probably a ii thickness.
Panacea winter blend. Sample size is cheap!

lapushka
June 16th, 2014, 03:34 PM
My routine involves, for shampoo:

Pantene Aqua Light (it's always in my collection as it is an oldie but goodie)
Pantene's volumizing shampoo
Garnier Ultra Doux 5 herbs (wow, this is new by Garnier, at least where I live (Belgium))

--> all three are sulfate shampoos, but without silicones

For conditioner (any old conditioner will do for the first condition), but my fave (for the second condition) is:
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration

--> an amazing detangler and smoother (does contain silicones)

NoRush
June 16th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Not sure what it's gonna be called in the US but I love the Tresemme Natural line, it's cone free and quite rich. I love it :) My hair is mostly straight and I find this very detangling and at the same time not heavy.