PDA

View Full Version : Shampooing Post-Workout

Jilliebean
June 16th, 2014, 08:11 AM
I have a question for other ladies (and gents with long hair) who workout regularly!

For the past few months, I have cut back to shampooing my hair only twice a week and have it tied up in a bun for the shower the rest of the time. This has made my hair look infinitely healthier and shinier and I think will help me increase my length a lot. Recently, however, I've been trying to get back in shape/workout daily and notice that if I try to skip shampooing after a sweaty gym session my hair at my scalp is greasy and limp. Dry shampoos do not work for my texture/color.

I am thinking of making a dilution of my shampoo to rinse my hair with after the gym. Has anyone else come up with a better idea?

Kelikea
June 16th, 2014, 08:17 AM
I rinse my scalp (with hair in a bun) and try not to get the bun itself wet. This seems to help when I get super sweaty, but don't want to shampoo. I've also cut back to 1-2 shampoos/wk. What really throws it off is swimming. There are outside showers, so I usually condition or oil before swimming, then rinse out my hair WO. I'm hoping to not get chlorine damage.

Another idea is to use diluted conditioner, instead of shampoo, for your in-between "washes".

Bitstuff
June 16th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Does it stay sweaty or greasy and limp or does it improve in a few hours?

I work out 4-5 times a week at lunch time and during these warm months, sweat like crazy. I don't have the time nor will to wash, condition etc. my hair afterwards so I just leave it alone either down or in a braid. My hair is fine by later in the day because I think the sweat just evaporates because it's mostly water. Your hair might be completely different. You could definitely try rinsing the scalp and leaving the ends alone.

leilani
June 16th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Great suggestions you got, scalp wash only, or co-wash, or just putting it up and letting it be and waiting to see what your scalp is like after the sweat evaporates.
Here's my 2 cents: put your hair in a bun for the workout and during your post workout shower try to keep the bun dry by loosening it and pulling it away from the scalp. Use ACV diluted in a spray bottle to spray just your scalp and the hair closest to the scalp as much as possible, let it sit a couple minutes, then rinse with cold water if possible.
Another thing is Nightblooming on etsy has an amazing sounding dry shampoo mixture that might be just the trick if commercial dry shampoos have failed you. I'm itching to try them.

Last idea is why not blast your scalp with a blow dryer on cold air setting until the scalp is nice and dry and see how your hair looks then. If it still seems gross, then a few shakes of a dry shampoo powder mixture into your scalp and brush it out. You can even make your own with an empty salt shaker:
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9e/45/66/9e4566dc792dd4df626ce7941c95800e.jpg

meteor
June 16th, 2014, 09:02 AM
I also recommend scalp washes.
You can do them with water, water + a bit of ACV, or water + a bit of shampoo.
Here's a great video by LauraLongLocks on the scalp wash routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc

spidermom
June 16th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Usually I can get away with rinsing my scalp once between washes, but other than that I have to wash my hair after working out. I dilute my shampoo and hope that helps. I also do deep treatments a bit more often.

I'm not sentimental about every millimeter of length, though. If the ends dry out, I'll cut them off.