PDA

View Full Version : What's the best & worst shampoo or conditioner...

queenovnight
June 16th, 2014, 05:47 AM
What's the best or worst shampoo or conditioner that you've ever used?
- I thought this thread would be a good idea for those who like to try new conditioners or shampoo.-

I co-wash so.. For me, Visible Beauty's 'Vitamin Enriched Argan Oil Moisture Rich Conditioner' is the worst conditioner I have ever used. It leaves your hair feeling more like wax than moisturized. I bought this before going vegan, and I still have the entire bottle under my sink. It's absolutely awful. As for the best, I'm still searching for that!

FoxyGhost
June 16th, 2014, 05:56 AM
I can't think of the names of anything that did not work for my hair but anything by Garnier Fructis will break my back out terribly.

lapushka
June 16th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is a conditioner I swear by. It's an amazing detangler, and it's always in my cupboard. Wouldn't know what I'd do without it.

Worst stuff are things by the brand Syoss. It's local to where I am (Belgium). Their conditioners are so bad that they leave knots in the hair.

cathair
June 16th, 2014, 07:05 AM
My all time favorite is Ojon damage reverse and detox in both shampoo and conditioner. But I don't think it is worth it's money and I think it's been reformulated again.

My least favorite (and I am sure many will disagree) is Inecto coconut conditioner. It smells vile, like an overpoweringly strong chemically vanilla essence, but made with coconut not vanilla. Has awful consistency that just slops off my hair so most of it ends up on the floor. It has very little slip. I don't see the point of a conditioner that adds so little slip. The only good thing I can say about it is it's so big and cheap it doesn't really matter if half the bottle ends up on the floor.

kganihanova
June 16th, 2014, 08:30 AM
I hate suave conditioners. They're so light, they don't do nearly enough for my hair.

blue_eyes
June 16th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Worst shampoo: Rehab by Lush
Worst conditioner: Okra by Lush

Both boast that they are for hair that is extremely damaged, specifically mentioning bleach & dye damage. They both essentially say they'll make your hair look healthy & beautiful again, so I bought them both with high hopes. They've been more disappointing than anything else I've tried. The shampoo seemed extremely drying and made my hair tangle very badly, and the conditioner was absolutely useless. Not only was the conditioner very runny, and required me to use a lot, but it did not untangle my hair at all. It was an absolutely disaster, I had to practically pour a coney conditioner over my hair just to get it slippery enough to untangle.

Best shampoo: Nourish Healthy & Hydrated Shampoo by Victoria's Secret
Best conditioner: Nourish Healthy & Hydrated Conditioner by Victoria's Secret, and Tresemme's Gentle Hydration conditioner

I'm always searching for the perfect shampoo & conditioner, and these are my favorites at the moment. My hair always feels soft and smells amazing after using them.

Lyv
June 16th, 2014, 08:44 AM
The best shampoo for me would either be Burts Bees super shiny shampoo or the orange & chamomile shampoo bar from Apple Valley. The best conditioner is the Burts Bees super shiny conditioner but I haven't used any conditioner in almost 2 months now. The worst shampoo I have ever used is the Toadstool shampoo and worst conditioner would either be the Herbal Essences cleansing conditioner or the Aussie 3 minute miracle.

Lady Una
June 16th, 2014, 09:35 AM
I haven't decided on an all-time favorite shampoo or conditioner, but I really like Tresemme Naturals and Mane 'n Tail.

I do NOT like Suave shampoo and conditioner. It turns my hair into a frizzy dry mess.

Feathered
June 16th, 2014, 10:56 AM
I haven't had any real bad experiences with either shampoo or conditioner, but the only shampoo and conditioner I use now is Burts Bees very volumizing. They work great, smell great, and they don't have any unhealthy ingredients in them. I've been using them for a couple years now and they're worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.

YamaMaya
June 16th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Schwarzkopf conditioners are horrible, they made my hair feel waxy no matter how little I used, threw it out after just a short time of using it.

I'll tell you what I do love though, is the Garnier Ultimate Blends coconut oil and shea butter conditioner, I haven't tried the shampoo yet, because I can't find a darned ingredients list.

I haven't had any real bad experiences with either shampoo or conditioner, but the only shampoo and conditioner I use now is Burts Bees very volumizing. They work great, smell great, and they don't have any unhealthy ingredients in them. I've been using them for a couple years now and they're worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.

One of the things I miss about America is the Burts Bees line of hair products. They were expensive but I loved them, particularly the grapefruit and sugar beet. I heard that it got discontinued though which made me very sad as I was going to stock up on my next visit :(

shutterpillar
June 16th, 2014, 01:25 PM
*so far* the worst shampoo and conditioners I have come across have been those by the Burts Bees brand. I've tried a good handful of each of them, and they've always kept my hair limp and lifeless looking.
Herbal Essences Naked Cleansing Conditioner is a very close runner up. But, I've heard other people rave about it, which is the reason I tried it in the first place, so... :shrug:

*so far* the best shampoo and conditioner I have used has been Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle. I adore the stuff, but the nearest Trader Joe's to my house is quite a drive, so I only purchase it when I am in the area. I'm about to try Yes To Cucumbers shampoo when I run out of the Trader Joe's, and am hoping it will be just as nice to my hair as it's more readily available in my area.

Jorja
June 18th, 2014, 06:37 AM
I can't think of the names of anything that did not work for my hair but anything by Garnier Fructis will break my back out terribly.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/Pauline_Barnett/SAM_0164_zpsd1e4c112.jpg (http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/Pauline_Barnett/media/SAM_0164_zpsd1e4c112.jpg.html)

:joy: Its my favourite!

lapushka
June 18th, 2014, 09:07 AM
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/Pauline_Barnett/SAM_0164_zpsd1e4c112.jpg (http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/Pauline_Barnett/media/SAM_0164_zpsd1e4c112.jpg.html)

:joy: Its my favourite!

I can see that! :lol: And I'm not judging you because my "stash" is also very terribly plenty stocked. :oops:

battles
June 18th, 2014, 09:40 AM
2a / F / iii, low porosity, does not like protein. My skin reacts to something in most commercial products and I end up with red bumpies everywhere. :(

Best: Cocoa Pink Princess Poo and Shine+ have worked really well for me. They're heavy enough to be moisturizing but not overwhelming for my fine hair and the lack of protein and silicones is all I could ask for. :p

So-so?: Shampoo bars. I genuinely like the idea, but I think I need a more moisturizing bar because they sometimes dry me out.

Worst: Aussie products. Dried the hell out of my hair, made my entire scalp break out along with my back and shoulders.

kitana97
June 18th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Best - Any of the shampoos or conditioners by Aubrey Organics. I've never used anything that left my hair feeling so great, and without cones, sls, etc..

Worst - Anything by suave. My hair looks and feels horrible when I use it.

Verdandi
June 18th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Best: Urtekram Nordic Birch shampoo and Desert Essence Lemon and Tea tree shampoo. Best conditioner is Desert Essence coconut. When I still used cones, I loved the Matrix Biolage line.

Worst: Body Shop Rainforest shampoo and conditioner. The shampoo made my scalp sore and oily and the conditioner left a strange waxy coating no matter how much I rinsed.

Wosie
June 18th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Verdandi, I wanted to try out the Urtekram Nordic Birch shampoo, but as I am allergic to birch pollen I've been avoiding it... I wonder if one could use it even though one's allergic to birch pollen? D: I guess not.

---

I haven't tried many shampoos, as my scalp is so overly sensitive that whenever I find something which kinda works, I stick with it.

Best (what I prefer to use): Urtekram's Rose Shampoo. Everything makes me itch, but this shampoo doesn't make me itch very much. At the same time, its ingredients were changed recently and I don't know if it'll work as well now. :/
Worst (what I try to avoid): Neutral Shampoo (Swedish). It worked somewhat OK for a few times, but the last time I used it I got a bad allergic reaction and my scalp has been bad since...

Wosie
June 18th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Double post!

Squirrelspring
June 18th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Hmm...

I haven't tried a lot of shampoos or conditioners yet.
When my hair was longer I used Hello Hydrationby Herbal Essences
I don't remember very well but I think that I used to like Sunsilk and then they stopped making it :(

Some of the things that are lying around in the bathroom include two bottles of Garnier shampoo and some Hello Hydration, and then another bottle of Herbal Essences shampoo, I really liked one of my Herbal Essences, the smell was really nice but I think I used it all up. I don't remember what it was called :( and now I want to smell it again! There are a lot of shampoo bottles and not a lot of conditioner bottles because the conditioner tends to get used up much more quickly than the shampoo

My current shampoo and conditioner, which seems to be leaving my hair very soft is
Nature's Gate Daily Herbal Shampoo and the matching conditioner.

My hair seems to be in pretty good shape after using this, and I don't know if it is because of all of the other things I have been doing to improve my hair also, but whatever I am doing seems to be working for the moment.

I used my Herbal Essences after having used Nature's Gate for a while and in the shower my hair was SUPER-SOFT and smelled really good but then when it dried it was kind of limp and sort of weird. I don't think that it is because the product is bad because I have been using it for a while and my hair seemed to be fine but I think it is because I had been using my other shampoo for a while before suddenly switching over.

I just remembered how good some of the Herbal Essences smell and now I might go over and start a thread on it if nobody else has already...
:cheer:

Platzhalter
June 18th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Worst?
Any conditioner or shampoo that contains glycerin. The only thing with glycerin that may work for me are shampoo bars and hair soap.
Best?
Not sure. I have some 2 in 1 shower and shampoo bottle for children. Cheap, but seems right for me.

-arachne-
June 18th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Best for me is really tough, because I've used a TON of things and don't really follow many rules for what I'll use on my hair. (If I use it once and it does nasty things, I won't use it again, but otherwise, meh chemicals.) Lately I've been using Mane & Tail. Just the shampoo, and then I use argan oil after it dries.

I was using Kevin Murphy salon stuff for months, and I liked it, but I started having issues when I switched the type of conditioner.

Worst conditioner by far was Garnier Fructis Pure Clean. It left my hair static-y, sticky and easily knotted no matter what I did. I still have the full bottle and haven't dared use it again.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
June 18th, 2014, 05:38 PM
The worst was L'oreal Vive Pro Nutrigloss. My hair felt dry and just all around terrible when I used it. No idea why. The only other one I've had a bad experience with was the Nature's Gate Aloe shampoo. My hair felt fine, but my head was crazy itchy. I don't think it's a "bad" shampoo though, I'm probably just sensitive to something in it... Most shampoos and conditioners I just feel kind of neutral about, the only one that I really really LOVED more than any other was a conditioner called Happy Endings from Origins. I believe they quit making it years ago though. :( It made my hair really soft and it smelled like an orange creamsicle. That orange and vanilla combo is probably my favorite scent of all time.