PDA

View Full Version : Stan Shuttleworth still in copyright?

Merlin
June 15th, 2014, 02:14 AM
As well know, the internet is laden with copies of the work of photographer Stan Shuttleworth ... but having thought about it I'm pretty sure they're still under copyright to somebody. In the UK copyright lasts until the death of the author + 70 years and Shuttleworth only died in the 80s......

florenonite
June 15th, 2014, 06:28 AM
Perhaps these pictures are hosted in another country? In Canada, for instance, copyright is only death of the author + 50 years, so it wouldn't surprise me if another country had +25 or +30 (and with some works, like films, I believe it's usually taken from the date of creation, presumably because there's multiple creators).

More likely, though, the people posting them either don't realise that copyright extends past death or aren't aware that posting someone else's picture on the internet is still stealing something under copyright.

ETA: According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_convention), the Berne convention, which seems to be something of an international standard for copyright minimums, specifies 25 years from creation for photographs. However, it also seems that Canada's standard life + 50 is the minimum under the Berne convention for anything that's not photography or film, so it's unlikely that a life + 25 term applies here.