PDA

View Full Version : diluting hair dye - saving money

Lenniemi
June 14th, 2014, 06:06 PM
I've heard you can dilute pemanent hair dye with conditioner, like taking half of the hair dye, half of the developper and adding 50 pct conditioner, mixing it so you can save half of your money. Has anyone tried this before and does it work well?

sumidha
June 14th, 2014, 06:32 PM
I have only ever heard of that working with deposit only dyes like Manic Panic.

Lenniemi
June 14th, 2014, 06:57 PM
I have only ever heard of that working with deposit only dyes like Manic Panic.

The last time I actually added a little bit of herbal essences coconut oil to my mid brown hair dye and it seemed to work but it wasn't that much. I guess the best way to know is trying it.

I just wonder if you'd take dark brown and dilute it with more conditioner that you'll get mid or light brown. Just a good way to save money and probably safer as well.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 14th, 2014, 06:59 PM
What I do with my hair dye is only mix up half the mixture each time I dye my hair - I only dye the roots each time, so half the bottle does me nicely and no matter how long my hair gets I only need to use half the mixture, it allows me to make one box dye last about 4 months.

heartgoesboom
June 14th, 2014, 09:48 PM
I've heard you can dilute pemanent hair dye with conditioner, like taking half of the hair dye, half of the developper and adding 50 pct conditioner, mixing it so you can save half of your money. Has anyone tried this before and does it work well?

I haven't but my aunt regularly takes half the hair dye from a boxed dye and adds more developer from Sally's to dilute it. It works well for her but she has grey/white hair so I'm sure it doesn't take much to lighten it?

ErinLeigh
June 15th, 2014, 02:21 AM
I use 50%dye and 50%clear gloss mixed together to dilute for a shinier result with a less flat color on me..but it doesn't save money since I am still using 2 products.
I have read about mixing with conditioner but haven't tried it personally. I was worried about patchy results. Maybe I will guinea pig for you next dye session :)

Lenniemi
June 17th, 2014, 03:27 PM
tried it with a small strand. Hair dye was black. Diluted it with 50 percent conditioner: 50 pct hair dye - 50 pct conditioner. It was still black but just not as deep.

Lenniemi
July 6th, 2014, 10:31 AM
today I mixed half of naturtint brown hair dye with half of the developper, then I added lots of herbal essences conditioner and left it on my hair for 40 minutes. The grey was covered and my hair felt very soft afterwards.