PDA

View Full Version : Compact Cut for Instant Long Layers Before & After Photos

leilani
June 14th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Calling all ponytail cutters to come out of the woodwork and share proof of this methods' fabulousness.
I'd love to see if anyone else has any before & after shots of using this handy method!
I did mine last night.
Here's my WL hair a few days prior:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqHVcwuCIAIfwLF.jpg:small
and after doing the ponytail-on-top-of-the-head method:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqHVdCOCEAEbQL9.jpg:small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqHWhTbIgAEwFTQ.jpg:small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqHWhY5IEAAUN4a.jpg:small

Ok am I the only one who has done this cut? I know I'm not, you guys admitted to it on the other thread about this method, so please show photos of the cut on your lovely heads! I'd love to inspire more people to try it who don't feel so sure about it looking good on their hair type. BTW I have very straight hair, these waves came from lightly scrunching when damp after spritzing in a tiny bit of Aussie "Aussome volume" leave in conditioning spray. I didn't know my hair could do that! My straight haired mom just did this cut today for her 50th high school reunion and showed me some selfies from her phone and she got the same instant waves too! She looks uber glamorous, I'm glad for her that she will rock her salt n' pepper mane at her reunion.

Ok, ponytail cutters, show your stuff!

EDITED TO ADD Pics showing my actual straight texture! This time there was no scrunching, no Aussie aussome volume leave in conditioning spray, only wash, liberal amount of emu oil/avg mixture while damp (I kinda over-oiled, so it got quite smooth and flat for these photos but oh well!), and then brushed with my BBB when almost dry and then again the next day, when obviously very dry. So, ZERO waves!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqMgLFtCIAAQZl6.jpg:small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqMgK_ACMAARJIf.jpg:small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqMgLGICQAEvEQb.jpg:small

So for those of you thinking this cut just ain't 'cut out' for straight hair without much natural texture/body, that don't look too shabby, right? My hair is pretty flat and straight naturally, the tiniest bit of texture. the nice thing is how easy it was to do those va-va-voom waves with the 'lightness' of this cut, just with scrunching a few times as it went from damp to dry, not sure if the volume-friendly leave in conditioner helped or not, haven't tried without. This cut is really volume friendly!!!

lapushka
June 14th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I am a fan of the ponytail on top of the forehead method. My longest layers are hip+, my shortest APL+. Sadly, I have no pictures save the ones that are in my (private) album. All back shots. Because of the thickness it's almost impossible to see it's layered.

butter52
June 14th, 2014, 03:06 PM
That came out very pretty!!

lapushka
June 14th, 2014, 03:26 PM
That came out very pretty!!

Yes, it did! Forgot to say that, sorry. :oops:

Are you sure you didn't position the ponytail on your forehead? I used to do the ponytail on top of the head method before going to shorter layers, and it seems as if your hair is pretty heavily layered for the method (on top of the head).

babycuts
June 14th, 2014, 08:26 PM
That looks great. My hair is exactly the same length and from what I can see very similar in type, I wonder if I will get the same results. Does it feel lighter now?

ErinLeigh
June 14th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Your cut came out amazing. Were you nervous?
Where did you place your ponytail to get these results?

You hair looks full and fantastic.

leilani
June 14th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Top of the head, I swear! But maybe what's throwing you off are the thick bangs are from a salon visit six weeks ago. She started them just a bit higher up on my head than I wanted, so I'm already growing out about ten percent of the ones smack on top of my head and going to keep most of them, but as curtain bangs rather than straight across blunt. Or maybe I'll grow them out altogether if my hairline looks better in a month or two. Right now the tiny one-inch-long tufts of hairs around my hairline from postpartum hairloss are killing me and I gotta hide them!
Thanks for the compliments guys, I was really nervous!

ErinLeigh
June 15th, 2014, 02:19 AM
does the ponytail rest on top of head or did you pull it out some?
I think the layers will make you feel much better about any PPshed and it will help the bangs grow out more easily blended. It's a fantastic cut. I am real happy for you.

Flor
June 15th, 2014, 03:07 AM
I am a fan of the ponytail on top of the forehead method. My longest layers are hip+, my shortest APL+. Sadly, I have no pictures save the ones that are in my (private) album. All back shots. Because of the thickness it's almost impossible to see it's layered.

lapushka, with no disrespect whatsoever, I noticed you referring to your private album at times, and I've been curious, why do you do it? I mean, from what I understand, you're not willing to share your photos and that's fine, but why you keep mentioning that you have them?

lapushka
June 15th, 2014, 05:13 AM
lapushka, with no disrespect whatsoever, I noticed you referring to your private album at times, and I've been curious, why do you do it? I mean, from what I understand, you're not willing to share your photos and that's fine, but why you keep mentioning that you have them?

What the heck could be your issue with that, I wonder? Everybody can friend me, doesn't mean I'll allow you (depends on your post count and some other things like actively participating), but why not mention it. Honestly, the things people fall over and take issue with. :shrug: Or are you going to complain each time someone posts a message containing a picture from their private album that most can't see?

lapushka
June 15th, 2014, 05:14 AM
Top of the head, I swear! But maybe what's throwing you off are the thick bangs are from a salon visit six weeks ago. She started them just a bit higher up on my head than I wanted, so I'm already growing out about ten percent of the ones smack on top of my head and going to keep most of them, but as curtain bangs rather than straight across blunt. Or maybe I'll grow them out altogether if my hairline looks better in a month or two. Right now the tiny one-inch-long tufts of hairs around my hairline from postpartum hairloss are killing me and I gotta hide them!
Thanks for the compliments guys, I was really nervous!

Yes, that must be it, that has me confused!!! I thought those are short layers for that method. :)

Flor
June 15th, 2014, 05:21 AM
What the heck could be your issue with that, I wonder? Everybody can friend me, doesn't mean I'll allow you (depends on your post count and some other things like actively participating), but why not mention it. Honestly, the things people fall over. :shrug:

Now I'm confused. What does friending have to do with anything? I assume "private" means only you can see it.

On my part, plain and simple - I was curious, so I thought I might as well ask. Not sure why you got so offended. It's just a question.

CurlyCap
June 15th, 2014, 05:51 AM
Gah! I made a video of me cutting my hair using this method when I decided to become a super shorter 4 years ago. I'd happily share it with LHC, but don't want it available to unregistered visitors.

Will think about a solution and hopefully come back to share....

florenonite
June 15th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Now I'm confused. What does friending have to do with anything? I assume "private" means only you can see it.

On my part, plain and simple - I was curious, so I thought I might as well ask. Not sure why you got so offended. It's just a question.

I think this is where the confusion comes in. "Private" means your friends can see it, but not other members. So if lapushka mentions she's got pictures in her private album, and a member who isn't on her friends list wants to see them, they can send her a friend request. If she accepts, then that member can see her pictures.

lapushka
June 15th, 2014, 07:10 AM
I think this is where the confusion comes in. "Private" means your friends can see it, but not other members. So if lapushka mentions she's got pictures in her private album, and a member who isn't on her friends list wants to see them, they can send her a friend request. If she accepts, then that member can see her pictures.

Exactly! Flor maybe you are confused by that? That's just how it works around here with private albums. :)

Flor
June 15th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Oh cool, got it now! I haven't used photo albums here, so kinda went off what private means on LJ and blogs. Thanks for clearing that up! :flower:

leilani
June 15th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Top of the head, not pulled out. All my irl friends are converting and planning on saving a fortune in skipped salon visits!
R
No one else has pics?

Hope to see that video!
Hey would you guys like to see how the cut looks just washed, oiled,air dried & brushed smooth with a bbb? I took new photos without the waves. The waves came from scrunching while slightly damp, spraying Aussie aussome volume conditioning leave in, and scrunching some more.

ErinLeigh
June 15th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I would like to see any photos you are willing to share!
Very interested in this method.

spidermom
June 15th, 2014, 01:00 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/outside.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/outside.jpg.html)

My stylist was responsible for that lovely U-hem, but I did the long layers with the compact cut method, ponytail positioned in the very center of the top of my head with one secure ponytail-tie, with a second ponytail-tie slid down the length until I got to the amount of ends that I wanted layered (4-5 inches; something like that).

P.S: Alas - my hair is not that curly now. I can't find a good "before" picture right now.

leilani
June 15th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Spidermom, wow! Just, wow!

ErinLeigh I added the pics showing my normal texture, sans any scrunching or volume spray. BTW, these are indoor shots in full natural light, no flash, and really show how the henna glosses have added a decided auburn look to my new embrace-my-root-color ash brown level. It's still a bit surreal, after being blonde my whole life. I read that long thread about you feeling depressed about your hair health and having a hard time going off the bleach but wanting to go to henna. I just want to tell you that I did it and I'm happy to ditch the salon totally, and just henna my hair and cut it myself! If I change my mind, hair grows, after all! Bleach will always be there later if I must big chop out the henna and return. Now the question is, after 3 glosses, do I do a full henna application and really go red?? Hmmm.... I wish you luck finding a hair approach you feel great about through and through, and having the courage to really divorce blonde for awhile and try a henna lifestyle, if that's what you think might be the right path for you.

leilani
June 15th, 2014, 02:21 PM
My mom with thin, straight hair tried it too!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqMoeniCEAAKp0g.jpg:small
magic waves!

My friend also! (And one other one I did before I did myself, who has no photos, I need to ask her to give me a hair shot!)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqMoe4ACEAEVZKK.jpg:small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqMoe0eCIAAF9-A.jpg:small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqMoe3_CMAEAoLQ.jpg:small

Two more of my IRL friends are just about to try it....

spidermom
June 15th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Oh, P.S. - last photo: color by Punky in rose-red.

Isilme
June 15th, 2014, 03:42 PM
I have been thinking about layers but since my hair hoovers around classic I'm a bit hesitant. And I don't want to go to a hairdresser. So you do a ponytail and the higher up you do it the shorter the layers are going to be, right? I would wan layers about three to four inches shorter than the rest, that way it won't take ages to grow it out if I would want to. Do you do a tight pony and then just cut the very most ends?

SleepyTangles
June 15th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I love the compact cut :D.
Long layers version, with elastic on top (not forehead):
Before
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10048&d=1396276502
After
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10354&d=1397494682

lapushka
June 15th, 2014, 03:49 PM
I have been thinking about layers but since my hair hoovers around classic I'm a bit hesitant. And I don't want to go to a hairdresser. So you do a ponytail and the higher up you do it the shorter the layers are going to be, right? I would wan layers about three to four inches shorter than the rest, that way it won't take ages to grow it out if I would want to. Do you do a tight pony and then just cut the very most ends?

The more you cut off of your ponytail, the shorter the layers. If you only cut half an inch to an inch off, the layering won't even be that deep, I don't think. So you could try that.

browneyedsusan
June 15th, 2014, 06:03 PM
My siggy shows the ponytail-on-top method.
I don't have any before pictures; pixies grow out weird. Feel free to snoop through my growth album for a good laugh.

ErinLeigh
June 15th, 2014, 06:32 PM
All of these pictures are perfect. The layers look nice, even and flowy in every single one. I struggle with loving layers but never finding a stylist to blend them correctly.
THis cut seems to blend quite nicely. I am still trying to envision the ponytail on top of head (have only seen forehead videos) but I think I get it.
Pony on top of head...slide out and just make the cut?

leilani that is quite a testament to how great your hair looks if so many others are jumping on the style so quickly :) You must be thrilled with how this turned out.
As far as color..hmmm that's tough. Your color looks extremely natural right now. I really like it. If you want that POP though and desire red then the henna would be nice. It looked red in the first BEFORE pic you posted actually so maybe the red shows in some lights more than others. I would study that pic and see what you think about how the color works with features. If it were me I would build up color with glosses until I was very sure I did want to be red...but maybe you are already sure?

What is your dream color..if you could choose? Maybe that will help you decide what to do and what strength henna formulation to use.

leilani
June 16th, 2014, 12:30 AM
I don't know why it looks so red in that before pic except that I was under a bunch of led lightbulbs and it was indoor. The pic looks nice. I think the others are far more accurate though. I want my hair to be a statement piece and also flattering. I think the current level is at least flattering, although not sure if as flattering as blonde. I shouldn't be experimenting six weeks before my wedding but I have no patience and I'm eager for the strength, thickness& shine of henna.

I didn't pull the ponytail down, I left it on top of my head and head was upside down, wet ponytail dangling. I grabbed it taut and clamped my fingers where I wanted to cut. I think you have to take 4-6" for the cut to work. You don't lose length. If you are just going to do half an inch I wouldn't bother, just use another self trim method.

leilani
June 16th, 2014, 12:40 AM
Or maybe I'm wrong, and a micro ponytail cut would be great subtle layering. Please post before and after pics you do it!
This tutorial has great photos, really clear.http://www.howtohairgirl.com/2013/01/5-diy-haircuts-to-try-today/

Sparklylady82
June 16th, 2014, 12:58 AM
Or maybe I'm wrong, and a micro ponytail cut would be great subtle layering. Please post before and after pics you do it!
This tutorial has great photos, really clear.http://www.howtohairgirl.com/2013/01/5-diy-haircuts-to-try-today/

Thankyou for the link, great visual. I just recently did the compact cut and I am happy with it! I want to try the technique for the back layers!!! I think that would amp up my waves a little more :-) I don't have any pics though!

lapushka
June 16th, 2014, 05:16 AM
THis cut seems to blend quite nicely. I am still trying to envision the ponytail on top of head (have only seen forehead videos) but I think I get it.
Pony on top of head...slide out and just make the cut?

I'd do it the way spidermom does it, use two ponytail holders. One to tie off, one to slide all the way to the end to cut, otherwise you'll disturb the flow of the hair, and possibly cut wrong. It needs to be tied down while you cut.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/cutting-hair-with-lightning-speed.html

Weewah
June 17th, 2014, 06:14 AM
Out of boredom I did the ponytail on head compact cut today, because I'm getting impatient with my damaged outer layer of hair and I've never tried cutting my hair like this. But now I don't like it. :( It's kinda feathery/mullety(to me) and hair is going every which way. I had neater more uniform waves when I had less layers. Oh well, all this damage needs to be chopped off eventually anyways. I'm thinking of trimming the hemline a couple inches more so it's not so heavily layered. Probably tomorrow if I still feel like it.

I think this cut is good for adding movement to weaker waves that aren't quite straight, but not for stronger waves or curls. I feel like an 80s perm lady right now.

Curlycap, I wanna see the video!

lapushka
June 17th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Out of boredom I did the ponytail on head compact cut today, because I'm getting impatient with my damaged outer layer of hair and I've never tried cutting my hair like this. But now I don't like it. :( It's kinda feathery/mullety(to me) and hair is going every which way. I had neater more uniform waves when I had less layers. Oh well, all this damage needs to be chopped off eventually anyways. I'm thinking of trimming the hemline a couple inches more so it's not so heavily layered. Probably tomorrow if I still feel like it.

I think this cut is good for adding movement to weaker waves that aren't quite straight, but not for stronger waves or curls. I feel like an 80s perm lady right now.

We cut right before a wash, so the "new" cut can get washed and the waves re-organized. You may feel better once it's washed again.

kitschy
June 17th, 2014, 09:43 AM
I used this method to cut layers back into my hair after spending YEARS growing them out. I'm sort of mad at myself, but the method works.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/p600x600/10436170_10202303913427747_4903318443648183115_n.j pg

Bitstuff
June 17th, 2014, 10:06 AM
kitschy, your hair is glorious :crush:

lunalocks
June 17th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Still beautiful, Kitschy.

kitschy
June 17th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Thanks Bitstuff and Lunalocks. I took this picture angled downwards and it doesn't show the thin ends in tight spirals and a definite shelf where layers end at about BSL- it's kinda weird looking from a different angle.

lapushka
June 17th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Very pretty, kitschy!

Weewah
June 17th, 2014, 01:23 PM
We cut right before a wash, so the "new" cut can get washed and the waves re-organized. You may feel better once it's washed again.

I did the cut right before washing my hair. Maybe I'm just not used to it on me or it's just not for me. Looks great on everyone who posted their pics on this thread so far though. :)

lapushka
June 17th, 2014, 01:28 PM
I did the cut right before washing my hair. Maybe I'm just not used to it on me or it's just not for me. Looks great on everyone who posted their pics on this thread so far though. :)

Oh, I'm so sorry you don't like it. :( That sucks, having faith in a hair cutting method and it not working out for you. The layers will soon grow back out, though, I'm sure!

I had lots of fun with both methods, then grew all the layers out (which is nothing on long hair, trust me). And right now I'm back to enjoying the layers again. IDK my hair is just more manageable this way.

velorutionista
June 17th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I love how these cuts look on you ladies--very pretty!

In fact, it makes me wonder...has anybody tried this with already-layered hair? (I mean, obviously if you've done this cut before your hair is already layered, but what about doing a compact cut on hair that's got non-compact cut layers already?)

I'm growing my last set of salon-induced layers out (they're about SL-APL at the shortest) and am curious if I trim with this method, if it'll blend all the new layers in with the layers I already have, or if it'll go a bit wonky and create shelf-like layers (which I've had in the past and would like to avoid at all costs!)--probably the only solution is to try it and see what I get, but I thought it'd be worth asking if anyone's got any experience with doing that already?

lapushka
June 17th, 2014, 03:38 PM
I'm growing my last set of salon-induced layers out (they're about SL-APL at the shortest) and am curious if I trim with this method, if it'll blend all the new layers in with the layers I already have, or if it'll go a bit wonky and create shelf-like layers (which I've had in the past and would like to avoid at all costs!)--probably the only solution is to try it and see what I get, but I thought it'd be worth asking if anyone's got any experience with doing that already?

I'd grow out the layers a bit more before attempting to mix cutting techniques as a non-professional. SL/APL is still pretty short, IMMHO. :)

velorutionista
June 17th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the input, lapushka!...I wondered because I'm running across some splits on my longer layers that I've been S&Ding, but I think I'll stick to that (or look into microtrimming) for now and let the shorties keep on growing!

Atira
June 17th, 2014, 04:26 PM
OOhhh these are making me seriously consider this. I havnt cut my hair at all in 4.5 years, but I'm wondering is layers would look good? My hair is thin and grows slowley. Here is a pic. Thoughts? http://i59.tinypic.com/312blaw.jpg

lapushka
June 17th, 2014, 04:42 PM
OOhhh these are making me seriously consider this. I havnt cut my hair at all in 4.5 years, but I'm wondering is layers would look good? My hair is thin and grows slowley. Here is a pic. Thoughts? http://i59.tinypic.com/312blaw.jpg

I wouldn't do it, if I were you. Your hair looks great. Why mess with something that's okay the way it is? :shrug:

Laccaria
June 17th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the input, lapushka!...I wondered because I'm running across some splits on my longer layers that I've been S&Ding, but I think I'll stick to that (or look into microtrimming) for now and let the shorties keep on growing!

If you want to maintain layers for the time being (rather than growing them out as fast as possible), you can microtrim using this compact cut method. At least that's what I have been doing for the past 6 months. So far, I've been pleased with the results.

I just cut off ~1/2" from the tip of the top of the head ponytail each month. It works on exactly the same principle as microtrimming a blunt cut. Only the longest hairs get cut each time and the shorter layers start to catch up. It reshapes your hair slowly over time and avoids possible over thinning from having both salon layers (and breakage in my case) and compact cut layers.

It's not nearly as satisfying as chopping a few inches and getting an instant stylish new hair cut. On the other hand, it's pretty hard to really dramatically wreck your hair by cutting just 1/2". :)

Laccaria
June 17th, 2014, 06:04 PM

I agree with lapushka. Your hair is sooo pretty! At one point I researched this cut method quite a bit, watching videos and checking out before and after photos. I, personally, think it tends to work best on thicker hair. Thinner hair can sometimes end up looking a bit over layered and scraggly. You actually naturally have the sort of perfectly blended layers people pay a fortune trying to achieve!

Weewah
June 23rd, 2014, 09:44 PM
I thought I'd add my picture after doing this method. I'm getting used to it, and I need to get rid of all this bleach anyways. This cut just makes my wave pattern more "wild" :o. I do like that my henna underlayer is a bit more visible now after cutting in more layers. Sorry about the sucky bathroom lighting and potato camera quality!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11473&d=1403580705

browneyedsusan
June 24th, 2014, 07:06 AM
ooh, Atira!
Leave that gorgeous mane alone! Step away from the scissors!

Weewah: Beautiful result! I love your texture!

lapushka
June 24th, 2014, 07:22 AM
I thought I'd add my picture after doing this method. I'm getting used to it, and I need to get rid of all this bleach anyways. This cut just makes my wave pattern more "wild" :o. I do like that my henna underlayer is a bit more visible now after cutting in more layers. Sorry about the sucky bathroom lighting and potato camera quality!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11473&d=1403580705

It has such a beautiful shape to it! I'm sorry you don't quite like it, but it looks absolutely lovely! :D

Sparklylady82
June 24th, 2014, 08:59 AM

I think your hair looks lovely how it is but it's always fun to try new things! The condition of your hair is stunning especially since you haven't cut in so long! Do you S&D? What's your secret?!?

renia22
June 24th, 2014, 10:54 AM
How long does your hair need to be to start for this to work? What is the maintenance like? Do you guys who use this method find that once the layers are there, it's hard to do this cut again?

ooglipoo
June 24th, 2014, 11:39 AM
I love it, Weewah! I use this method too, though I don't have before and afters... I like wild waves, though.

PinkyCat
June 24th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Nice job!
This is how I cut my hair short - well sort of, same idea. I went shorter than what would allow for a ponytail, so I just held sections between my fingers straight up then trimmed = perfect even layers! I'll probably continue tto trim this way until I can do the ponytail method - but it works and it's awesome!

lapushka
June 24th, 2014, 02:24 PM
How long does your hair need to be to start for this to work? What is the maintenance like? Do you guys who use this method find that once the layers are there, it's hard to do this cut again?

If you don't want super short layers, I'd go with at least BSL hair for these layers to work. The key is when ponytailing, not to cut too much off on your first try. Ease into it. This thread may be useful to you:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117777

renia22
June 24th, 2014, 07:41 PM
If you don't want super short layers, I'd go with at least BSL hair for these layers to work. The key is when ponytailing, not to cut too much off on your first try. Ease into it. This thread may be useful to you:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117777

Thank you, lapushka!

Atira
June 24th, 2014, 07:50 PM
I think your hair looks lovely how it is but it's always fun to try new things! The condition of your hair is stunning especially since you haven't cut in so long! Do you S&D? What's your secret?!?

Wow how sweet of you, I have tons of hair envy on here because mine is so thin and grows so slowly. No, no S&D because I have no idea how to do it and I'm afraid of it, lol. I wash my hair once a week maybe twice if lucky with a sulfate free shampoo and lots of conditioner. I sometimes oil. That's it.

leilani
June 25th, 2014, 03:19 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bq9eu_lCUAAYGcI.jpg:small
Just a shot of my compact cut up in a ...spiral crown braid? (don't know what to call this updo)
For those of you who worry that braids and updos will be awful if you have layers. I don't think so.

And I tried big pin curls on slightly damp hair left overnight. One of the curls fell out before getting the full curled effect and is slightly straight, in the underneath, so it's not perfect, but still nice. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bq9wmbKIIAAKuQ0.jpg:small

I haven't tried to trim with this method yet but I will next month. I'll just put the ponytail on the top of my head again, find the shortest piece if they don't all align to precisely the same point again, and cut a new straight/blunt line to match the shortest piece. I'm sure it will equate to a dusting worth of hair length loss, and I'll have freshly cut ends again. I ordered brand new shears on amazon which I hope will work even better than the ones I had (although I did sharpen the crap out of them before cutting) for super fabulous ends. I'm getting a bit obsessed with having perfect ends I think!

AmyBeth
June 25th, 2014, 11:14 AM
I hope you all won't think I'm hopelessy stupid, but what is the difference between short and long layers? Do you mean that the actual layers are much shorter than the rest of the hair? Or that all of the hair is shorter? LIke, your hair is long but the layers are either much shorter (short layers), or not so very much shorter (long layers)? Or that all of the hair is either shorter with layers or longer with layers?

Caldonia Sun
June 25th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Ok, I have never played with scissors, other than to trim my bangs. But this intrigued me, so I did it. I have BSL hair, rather straight, so I didn't cut too much. I have a few long layers and so far, so good. I'm happy with it. I first ponytailed at the forehead and trimmed about 3 inches. Then did the half up and trimmed another inch.

leilani
June 25th, 2014, 12:44 PM
pictures!!!!

spidermom
June 25th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I hope you all won't think I'm hopelessy stupid, but what is the difference between short and long layers? Do you mean that the actual layers are much shorter than the rest of the hair? Or that all of the hair is shorter? LIke, your hair is long but the layers are either much shorter (short layers), or not so very much shorter (long layers)? Or that all of the hair is either shorter with layers or longer with layers?

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking, so I apologize in advance if my reply isn't helpful at all.

Long layers means that there isn't much difference between the shortest layer and the longest. For example, you might have layers in only the bottom 3 inches of your hair.

Short layers means that there is more distance between the shortest layer and the longest. For example, in my current haircut, the shortest layer is about APL and the longest layer is only an inch or two above hip length. The layers are blended, so the area between APL and nearly hip is all layered.

spidermom
June 25th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Weewah, that is absolutely gorgeous and what I wish my hair would do. Alas! It is no longer that wavy/curly.

AmyBeth
June 26th, 2014, 03:46 PM
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking, so I apologize in advance if my reply isn't helpful at all.

Long layers means that there isn't much difference between the shortest layer and the longest. For example, you might have layers in only the bottom 3 inches of your hair.

Short layers means that there is more distance between the shortest layer and the longest. For example, in my current haircut, the shortest layer is about APL and the longest layer is only an inch or two above hip length. The layers are blended, so the area between APL and nearly hip is all layered.

Thank you, that is precisely what I was asking! Ijustnever understood what people are talking about when they mention long or short layers.

AmyBeth
June 26th, 2014, 03:46 PM

Thank you, that is precisely what I was asking! Ijustnever understood what people are talking about when they mention long or short layers.

luluj
June 26th, 2014, 04:41 PM

I have always had layers in my hair, they work so well with my particular curl pattern. I have never layered my hair by myself, I am way too much of a perfectionist for my own good. As luck would have it, my hairstylist is extremely talented and very precise, she always does a fantastic job.

Spidermom, the word my stylist uses when she explains how layers should look is the same word you have used in your post, blended. She says that you should not be able to actually see the layers if they are blended properly, instead there should be a blended simplicity to the overall look.

I remember when you had your layers added, I thought the stylist did a fabulous job. Perhaps you could post a photo of that particular cut.

leilani
June 28th, 2014, 04:49 AM
I'm having such a hard time waiting to try my first trim post compact cut. I want to see how the ends all line up and if it's easy to take off a quarter inch or not. I'm planning to wait a few weeks though, maybe even a month until after my wedding so I keep as much length as possible for the big day. :)

XcaliburGirl
June 28th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Before:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9185&d=1392080292

After:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10272&d=1397147776

These are actually two months apart, but you get the idea.

I put the ponytail at the top of my head and cut off about seven inches. I made sure to cut above the hair that grows from near the nape so I didn't lose any overall length.

It took some time to get used to the layers, but I like them well enough now. A braid is a bit messy, but I have been able to get fairly smooth buns. I am not sure if I will eventually trim them out or not, but for now I am enjoying less thickness.

leilani
June 28th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Looks really chic & no hint of triangle head!

leilani
July 9th, 2014, 11:18 AM
I did my first trim after the first compact cut and it was really easy with super sharp scissors. The ends all lined up nicely, no drama with not getting them aligned again the same way.

I'm now totally ITCHING to try the ponytail all the way to the front at the forehead hairline, and when my bangs grow out a bit I think I will switch to that as the bangs become the shortest layer.

Sparklylady82
July 9th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Calling all ponytail cutters to come out of the woodwork and share proof of this methods' fabulousness.
I'd love to see if anyone else has any before & after shots of using this handy method!
I did mine last night.
Here's my WL hair a few days prior:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqHVcwuCIAIfwLF.jpg:small
and after doing the ponytail-on-top-of-the-head method:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqHVdCOCEAEbQL9.jpg:small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqHWhTbIgAEwFTQ.jpg:small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqHWhY5IEAAUN4a.jpg:small

Ok am I the only one who has done this cut? I know I'm not, you guys admitted to it on the other thread about this method, so please show photos of the cut on your lovely heads! I'd love to inspire more people to try it who don't feel so sure about it looking good on their hair type. BTW I have very straight hair, these waves came from lightly scrunching when damp after spritzing in a tiny bit of Aussie "Aussome volume" leave in conditioning spray. I didn't know my hair could do that! My straight haired mom just did this cut today for her 50th high school reunion and showed me some selfies from her phone and she got the same instant waves too! She looks uber glamorous, I'm glad for her that she will rock her salt n' pepper mane at her reunion.

Ok, ponytail cutters, show your stuff!

EDITED TO ADD Pics showing my actual straight texture! This time there was no scrunching, no Aussie aussome volume leave in conditioning spray, only wash, liberal amount of emu oil/avg mixture while damp (I kinda over-oiled, so it got quite smooth and flat for these photos but oh well!), and then brushed with my BBB when almost dry and then again the next day, when obviously very dry. So, ZERO waves!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqMgLFtCIAAQZl6.jpg:small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqMgK_ACMAARJIf.jpg:small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqMgLGICQAEvEQb.jpg:small

So for those of you thinking this cut just ain't 'cut out' for straight hair without much natural texture/body, that don't look too shabby, right? My hair is pretty flat and straight naturally, the tiniest bit of texture. the nice thing is how easy it was to do those va-va-voom waves with the 'lightness' of this cut, just with scrunching a few times as it went from damp to dry, not sure if the volume-friendly leave in conditioner helped or not, haven't tried without. This cut is really volume friendly!!!
That turned out fabulous on you!

Jennwith4
July 9th, 2014, 01:02 PM
I'm a big fan of ponytail layers! I used this method to cut my 3 girls hair and it turned out great. Get compliments on their cuts all the time. Haven't tried on myself yet. Waiting to reac my goal length first.

swords & roses
July 9th, 2014, 01:39 PM
These all look great, ladies! :D

Hmm.... to layer mine, or not.... What do you lovely experts think?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10599&d=1398612550

(Wow, I think my hair has grown about an inch longer in the 2.5 months since I took this photo. That seems fast!)

leilani
July 9th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Swords and Roses, I really really think you should. Think of how amazing and wavy your waves would get if they were set free like that! And how thick and fresh the ends would be, albeit they would be all over the place instead of at your hemline, which I know for many is the holy grail situation to achieve (thick, blunt ends all along the hair's straight across hemline). But I enjoy fresh, blunt ends to all my layers flowing all over the place as my hair has so much movement with this cut. And volume. Oh the pumped up volume, and with your 2a it would be amazing.

swords & roses
July 9th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Aw, thanks for the compliments!

Usually, my waves are really shy. The 2a in my siggy pic was only ever achieved that one time, completely by surprise! Typically, I'm closer to straight than even the photo I posted here shows. (It was just the handiest photo I've got at the moment.) Think the layers would still work? I love the "paintbrush" feel of a fresh blunt cut, but have always stayed away from layers. I have enough problems with braids getting messy, even with a blunt cut, that layers would be even worse! Though most days, I've got it all up in a bun, soooo maybe it won't matter after all? I'm so confused on what to do, lol! Something needs to be done, though. The bottom 5 or 6 inches is split to high heaven! My splits have splits!

Ambystoma
July 9th, 2014, 07:15 PM
After maintaining my length for 6 months, (I know some people will hate me for saying this :laugh:) the ends were getting too thick,and I had tailbone length hair that was flat on top and puffy at the bottom, so I did a modified version of this cut and I love it!

I didn't do it all as one ponytail, I did a half up and cut almost 4" from that, and then put the fringe area up and cut some "face framing" layers (that are still waist at the shortest, but you know what I mean) from that. I didn't layer the underneath, just gave it the usual Feye's U shape trim. The result is really subtle but the shape looks a lot more balanced and the waves bounce really nicely. I'll try and talk the other half into taking some pics soon!

Sparklylady82
July 9th, 2014, 07:35 PM
After maintaining my length for 6 months, (I know some people will hate me for saying this :laugh:) the ends were getting too thick,and I had tailbone length hair that was flat on top and puffy at the bottom, so I did a modified version of this cut and I love it!

I didn't do it all as one ponytail, I did a half up and cut almost 4" from that, and then put the fringe area up and cut some "face framing" layers (that are still waist at the shortest, but you know what I mean) from that. I didn't laylr the underneath, just gave it the usual Feye's U shape trim. The result is really subtle but the shape looks a lot more balanced and the waves bounce really nicely. I'll try and talk the other half into taking some pics soon!

Id love to see your pics since we have similar hair type! My hair I only a few inches from BSL so it'd be neat to see what my hair could possibly look like layered at tailbone. Post, post!

Lazy Loop
July 9th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Flor, I'm so glad you asked, I had been wondering about that, too! I assumed my album was available to members only. I'll go check my settings. I adore looking at member hair albums!! (mine is nothing to get excited about, lol)

Lazy Loop
July 9th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Caldonia Sun, your hair is beautiful!

Ambystoma
July 9th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Id love to see your pics since we have similar hair type! My hair I only a few inches from BSL so it'd be neat to see what my hair could possibly look like layered at tailbone. Post, post!

Here is a quick pic I just snapped (sorry about the quality, and hair obscuring baby!). My hair was half wet there, just waiting for it to be dry enough to put in rollers. It looks more like 1c/2a there since I comb while wet and use tons of 'cones, but that's probably the closest to the natural texture anyone will get to see ( I always set it in heat free curls/wrap since I find my natural waves too messy). I'll try and get some better pics tomorrow :)

http://i.imgur.com/IoHgG17.jpg?1

swords & roses
July 10th, 2014, 08:18 AM
I tried it! Had to head out before my hair was dry from my post-cut shower, so pics will have to wait til I get home tonight.

Sparklylady82
July 10th, 2014, 08:55 AM
I tried it! Had to head out before my hair was dry from my post-cut shower, so pics will have to wait til I get home tonight.

Can't wait to see!

leilani
July 10th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Me too!!! I just know it will be spectacular.

swords & roses
July 10th, 2014, 05:20 PM
As promised, my before & after photos!

Before (dirty hair, first thing in the morning):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11768&d=1405034057

After (clean hair, at the end of the day):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11769&d=1405034059
I didn't care for the pointy V-shape the cut gave me, so I blunted off just the very bottom. Could use a bit more shaping there, but it's fine for now.

Meh. I'm not wowed, but I'm not unhappy with it, either. It's definitely nice to have gotten rid of most of the velcro feel of a lot of my split ends, while still keeping most of my length, though!

Ambystoma
July 11th, 2014, 12:54 AM
Ok, I have more terrible pictures - I asked the other half to snap one from the back and he grudgingly did but it came out too dark to see anything so this is all I got :laugh:

This is after a sponge roller set - I swear I'm still just at Tailbone when wet/stretched but the shrinkage from the new "bounce factor" is insane!
http://i.imgur.com/AZAgyte.jpg?1 http://i.imgur.com/ZRRBKlg.jpg?1

lapushka
July 11th, 2014, 06:12 AM
If anyone's interested in seeing my pictures (not going to post them publicly), just friend me. I just uploaded 2 fresh pics to my album. My hair is cut with the compact cut method for shortest layers (ponytail on top of the forehead). Just FYI. ;)

maskedrose
September 3rd, 2014, 10:11 AM
Has anyone used this method for cutting in face framing layers? I'm thinking of sectioning out the hair in front of my ears and trying it...any thoughts? I've just gotten rid of my layers in the length, but I do like to keep some movement around my face.

lapushka
September 3rd, 2014, 10:26 AM
Has anyone used this method for cutting in face framing layers? I'm thinking of sectioning out the hair in front of my ears and trying it...any thoughts? I've just gotten rid of my layers in the length, but I do like to keep some movement around my face.

We used the entire method here, the method for shortest layers is definitely the way to go if you want face-framing layers. Just don't cut too much off. My layers go from almost BSL to almost TBL (with the ponytail on forehead method).

Nymphea
September 3rd, 2014, 10:44 AM
Wow, this is wonderful! The after pictures are all amazing. Now I'm becoming interested in this method. I wasn't too keen on experimenting with my hemline (I have shallow U-shaped hemline and currently I'm at hip), but the idea of accentuating my wave pattern suddenly seems very appealing!

As I understood, one must cut at least 3 inches for this method to work? Can a beginner start with and inch or two? I still don't know if I would like the result (if I ever dare to do it!), and I wouldn't want to lose much length if it turns out to be a disaster.:rolleyes:

For now I think I'd like the layers from waist to hip, just to try it.

I'll continue to read this thread and if I dare to cut, I'll definitely post the pictures. :)

TrapperCreekD
September 3rd, 2014, 11:05 AM
Maybe I misunderstood the how the method works (since I haven't done it yet), but I thought you could take off as much or as little as you like, i.e., a microtrim's worth or several inches. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though!

Nymphea
September 3rd, 2014, 11:15 AM
That would be great! Personally I wouldn't dare to take off more than 2 inches. Actually, I'd begin with one inch, just to see how it goes. I hope I'll be able to see something by taking off just one inch!? :bigeyes:

TrapperCreekD
September 3rd, 2014, 11:21 AM
You should be able to... The higher you position the ponytail the more dramatic the layers should be, I think.

Nymphea
September 3rd, 2014, 11:26 AM
I figured out I should position the ponytail on the top of the head, let's say right at the center of the top, right?

I'll read more about the method, anyway, before doing anything. :D

ErinLeigh
September 3rd, 2014, 01:33 PM

This is utter perfection. I am in love with this hair.
If I could have "fantasy hair" this is exactly what I would choose. It is gorgeous.

lapushka
September 3rd, 2014, 01:47 PM
I figured out I should position the ponytail on the top of the head, let's say right at the center of the top, right?

I'll read more about the method, anyway, before doing anything. :D

Here's more info on the first method (ponytail on top of the head). The two methods are actually from the book, "Haircutting for dummies".
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/cutting-hair-with-lightning-speed.html

And you can cut a tiny bit off, but it's going to take at least a few inches for the "cut" to become visible. At first when we did the second method (ponytail on forehead) on me, we only took a tiny bit off and the V didn't become very noticeable, which I did have when we took about 4 inches off.

Lavenderhaze
July 24th, 2020, 02:27 PM
weewah, your hair is gorgeous. I am curious if you used the top of head ponytail method, or the middle of the forehead unicorn ponytail method?

paulownia
August 2nd, 2020, 07:54 AM
I'm using a ponytail method to cut my hair:D. After many tests I opted for a ponytail placed in the middle of the crown of the head ( it would be a point between the top and the nape I guess) as it gives me just the right amount of layering. Enough to bring out wave pattern. I cut around half an inch.
I don't have any pictures " before" I have not been cutting straight across for a long time now.

https://i.postimg.cc/9Qq9YTQg/20200424-201932.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

lapushka
August 2nd, 2020, 07:58 AM
It looks good! :thumbsup: