PDA

View Full Version : Need major hair tangle help fast....

Hollyfire3
June 13th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Ok so a relative of mine has kept her MBL hair tied up in a bun thing for weeks without untangling (god knows why...) and I need a cheap and readily available drugstore conditioner to put through her hair...it's basically dreaded together....I already have soaked it with some conditioner but it didn't work well (it was just generic hotel conditioner I had). I'm using the tangle teezer to do all of this but would appreciate advice and help also...

KaleidoscopeEyz
June 13th, 2014, 05:47 PM
I've used VO5 kiwi lime squeeze clarifying conditioner before with decent success. It's super cheap too. Just try leaving it on for an hour and see what happens. Hope that helps some. :)

Kherome
June 13th, 2014, 05:48 PM
You're gonna have to use fingers and patience if you don't want to damage the hair!

Katrine
June 13th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Are you helping her while out of town without resources available? I was trying to think of what you might have at hand. I know my local grocery store has hair oils really reasonably priced where I am ($2-3). Perhaps if you have access to any oils you could try that. When I've had trouble untangling a braid at the ends it really helped to put a lot of oil on them and it came out fairly easily. HTH :)

Hollyfire3
June 13th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Are you helping her while out of town without resources available? I was trying to think of what you might have at hand. I know my local grocery store has hair oils really reasonably priced where I am ($2-3). Perhaps if you have access to any oils you could try that. When I've had trouble untangling a braid at the ends it really helped to put a lot of oil on them and it came out fairly easily. HTH :)
Yes I'm out of town with limited resources sorry should have specified. This is worse than any tangled I've dealt with in my own hair, this is matted, nearly dreadlocked, knotted and clumped up hair...she's accepted there is going to be breakage I'm just trying my best to salvage what I can...the vo5 sounds like a plan and I have some Argan oil with me too so I'm trying that...

Katrine
June 13th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Yes I'm out of town with limited resources sorry should have specified. This is worse than any tangled I've dealt with in my own hair, this is matted, nearly dreadlocked, knotted and clumped up hair...she's accepted there is going to be breakage I'm just trying my best to salvage what I can...the vo5 sounds like a plan and I have some Argan oil with me too so I'm trying that...

Oh, I see. That sounds like a tough one, I'm sorry to hear its so tangled. Please keep us posted. I hope the argan works well for you with her hair.

eternallyverdan
June 13th, 2014, 06:05 PM
I've dealt with a lot of very tangly hair in my time, so here are some tips that I've collected.

Your tools
Conditioner: something with a thick texture that's really moisturizing-- Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition and the Pantene lines for damaged hair are good for this, or you could get a deep conditioning mask or treatment
Shower cap: to keep hair wet while the conditioner soaks in
Spray bottle: to re-wet hair as the conditioner dries out and gets gummy
Wide-toothed comb: One of the cheap plastic ones from the drugstore will be fine, and combs make it easier to slowly work through tangles without ripping and pulling hair

Thoroughly wet the hair in the sink or shower, DON'T shampoo yet, and slather the entire mess in as much conditioner as you can, working it into the mats from the top and bottom. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes, preferably under a shower cap/plastic bag/plastic wrap so it doesn't start to dry. I'd also recommend using a wide-toothed comb rather than a tangle teezer, at least for the initial stages. IMO, the bristles on the TT are too soft to get through big matted tangles, and a wide-toothed comb makes it easier to feel problem spots that require gentle detangling with your fingers and extra conditioner. When possible, split the hair into smaller sections and work to detangle those first, starting from the bottom and moving from section to section as the tangle-free areas go higher and higher. Go slowly! And don't hesitate to use your fingers, because some tangles are actually easier to pick apart hair by hair than with a big rough comb. If the detangling is making her scalp hurt, have her tightly hold her hair at the nape as you comb so the tugging doesn't make it all the way up to her scalp. You might damage the hair a little more if she's not feeling it, but at least she won't be in pain.

Good luck!

Hollyfire3
June 13th, 2014, 06:18 PM
I've dealt with a lot of very tangly hair in my time, so here are some tips that I've collected.

Your tools
Conditioner: something with a thick texture that's really moisturizing-- Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition and the Pantene lines for damaged hair are good for this, or you could get a deep conditioning mask or treatment
Shower cap: to keep hair wet while the conditioner soaks in
Spray bottle: to re-wet hair as the conditioner dries out and gets gummy
Wide-toothed comb: One of the cheap plastic ones from the drugstore will be fine, and combs make it easier to slowly work through tangles without ripping and pulling hair

Thoroughly wet the hair in the sink or shower, DON'T shampoo yet, and slather the entire mess in as much conditioner as you can, working it into the mats from the top and bottom. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes, preferably under a shower cap/plastic bag/plastic wrap so it doesn't start to dry. I'd also recommend using a wide-toothed comb rather than a tangle teezer, at least for the initial stages. IMO, the bristles on the TT are too soft to get through big matted tangles, and a wide-toothed comb makes it easier to feel problem spots that require gentle detangling with your fingers and extra conditioner. When possible, split the hair into smaller sections and work to detangle those first, starting from the bottom and moving from section to section as the tangle-free areas go higher and higher. Go slowly! And don't hesitate to use your fingers, because some tangles are actually easier to pick apart hair by hair than with a big rough comb. If the detangling is making her scalp hurt, have her tightly hold her hair at the nape as you comb so the tugging doesn't make it all the way up to her scalp. You might damage the hair a little more if she's not feeling it, but at least she won't be in pain.

Good luck!

Thank you all so far for the advice I'll try this with the wide tooth comb too. Keeping the hair wet is smart I hadn't thought of that. I'll let you all know how this goes and thank you for the luck.

meteor
June 13th, 2014, 06:54 PM
I'd recommend a very silicone-rich, oil-rich conditioner for color-treated or damaged hair. Those tend to give the best slip. Also use whatever oils you have. Argan is great, but I'd use mineral oil, if possible - it's cheap and super-slippy.
It might take a few sessions, if your arms get tired and/or her scalp gets very tender.
Good luck! :) Even the dreadlocks can get detangled with enough patience.

Pallas
June 13th, 2014, 07:01 PM
I've had the most luck with just my fingers, a toothpick, and loooots of patience in the past, but folks up here seem to have way more helpful advice. Good luck though!
Sending you and your relative some good fortune magic :magic:

Hollyfire3
June 13th, 2014, 07:07 PM
I ended up buying vo5 conditioner let's hope this helps....it'll take the rest of the night most likely but I'm determined and ready to do this right. I should've gotten some color safe conditioner for more slip but it's do expensive ick...hm I'll see. Thank you so much for the help I knew I could ask here and count on good answers to help this mess. The magic is needed thank you much. :)

MINAKO
June 13th, 2014, 07:33 PM
ugh, i feel your pain, we had a younger girl during a schooltrip, who didnt take out her twin braids for about two weeks...
Anyways, i just learned that babyoil gives amazing slip, much more than the natural ones. I would also suggest to sort of rinse the hair clean with a CO wash before applying more conditioner, dirt or dust will only lead to more tiny knots i suppose.

Radiant
June 14th, 2014, 04:10 AM
Can almost promise you Loreal's Nature Therapy Mega Moisture will work if what you're trying doesn't help. I had gone 2 weeks without washing (and probably even combing) my hair when I had a major surgery. I wasn't even really conscious the first week, but it was probably day 12 or so before anything got done to my hair, and this worked for me. I'd leave in sit on the hair for a good hour before trying to detangle. You can get it at Sally's. Here's a link to the product: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Mega-Moisture-Creme/LOREAL6,default,pd.html#q=mega+moisture&start=5

jacqueline101
June 14th, 2014, 05:47 AM
I was going to suggest a come serum to add to the vo5 for extra slip and a wide tooth comb.

jacqueline101
June 14th, 2014, 05:48 AM
I mean cone serum.

ErinLeigh
June 14th, 2014, 05:53 AM
Loreal Naturals Mega Moisture or Pantene may be coney enough to offer the slip needed to detangle.
Maybe some jojoba also.

Hollyfire3
June 14th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Just an update: the vo5 helped but the hair still won't come out of the bun shape she had it in. She's pretty much accepted that the ends will be trashed because literally her hair is staying in molded bun shape with no hair tie or anything...it's bad. I got some more front pieces of hair untangled and will be trying baby oil and Pantene later today because I have those both already. At least some progress was made so that's a start. Thank you again for all the help, leaving the conditioner in over night really helped as well.

meteor
June 14th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Thank you for the update, Hollyfire3. :) I wish you good luck going forward! Keep the hair slippy with coney conditioners and oils while working the tangles out. Take breaks, and if at some point it gets absolutely intolerable, don't cut it, get help instead. There are hairdressers who can undo the worst of dreadlocks.
Good luck! :D

Hollyfire3
June 14th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Thank you for the update, Hollyfire3. :) I wish you good luck going forward! Keep the hair slippy with coney conditioners and oils while working the tangles out. Take breaks, and if at some point it gets absolutely intolerable, don't cut it, get help instead. There are hairdressers who can undo the worst of dreadlocks.
Good luck! :D
I actually think if we went into a hair salon, they'd cut it all off...I don't know any hair dressers in the area willing to undo this...but I'll keep it in mind thank you. I wouldn't dare cut it myself I know better, my skills are with styling not cutting hair. Thank you for the luck, I have conditioner in the hair to sit for a few hours before proceeding more. It should help I hope.

meteor
June 14th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Also, while you are taking a break, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nJaAgtgIDlE
There are a few videos on the net showing how to untangle hair. If you can get another pair of hands to help you, the process will move a lot faster and won't feel as frustrating.

Pallas
June 14th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Has there been any progress? Curious for an update.

Hollyfire3
June 14th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Update: hours later, I have given up and my relative has decided to get it all cut off...her hair is so matted and tangled on top of itself on her head that no matter how much conditioner I used or how hard I tried it wouldn't work...thank you again for the advice though I managed to save the hair around her face at least...

Jumper
June 14th, 2014, 07:29 PM
That's sad, though maybe it's for the best so it can grow back out healthy.

The dread locks video is both terrifying (THE KNOTS!) and fascinating. Her hair actually looks pretty good at the end (though most hair looks good after blow drying and straightening if it's done well).

Hollyfire3
June 14th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I agree I think it's for the best, she didn't seem overly concerned I think I cared more about it getting done right than her...and that video was fascinating I agree and get hair looked decent, even wet, so I'm assuming it looks ok without the styling as well possibly? I wish I had some of that conditioner for today but I'm not sure even that could have worked because I couldn't even find the ends of her hair in that mess...

Pallas
June 14th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Ah, good to know she's taking it well. Sad to loose the length, but it's probably nice to get a fresh start.

And yeah, the dreads video made me cringe so hard! I mean, I know they were making it better, but seeing them pull those dreads apart like that just makes something very deep inside of me want to run away lol. The good ol hair protection instinct.

Immera
June 14th, 2014, 08:17 PM
I use baby oil for extra slip when my hair is extra tangled. Then I braid it so the extra oiliness helps keep the braid together or wash it.