PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

Tangles
September 17th, 2008, 07:54 PM
*sigh* Just as my hair is beginning to feel semi-long, I have this weird issue. Whenever I use a sulphate shampoo, I get a greyish "coated" look on my scalp. I know, it's disgusting! It looks kind of like it's dirty and dry at the same time. I have no idea what this is.

I decided to try to start stretching out my washes. My hair has been very dry lately. The problem is that when I use lots of conditioner my hair turns stringy. It's the same old dilemma. On the other hand my hair hasn't been washed since yesterday morning and it's finally looking decent (though still gunky on top).

spidermom
September 17th, 2008, 08:04 PM
If you have been using a natural, SLS, or SLES formulation, try an ALS shampoo. I've had success with Nature's Gate products as well, but I forget what cleanser they use. Best of luck overcoming this problem.

Manako
September 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I think thats what I used to have! I could scratch it off my scalp and it would get stuck under my fingernails. It was kinda moist, not like dry skin.

I don't know if it was caused by my sulfatey shampoo, or the curling mousse I used to use. Now that I have stopped using both, its gone now. I also found that since switching shampoos I can wash my hair twice a week, and be fine (if I don't over-oil it.)

NurseMama
September 17th, 2008, 09:25 PM
It sounds like sebum! The SLS causes increased sebum production therefore making it more apparent to you when you would otherwise possibly not notice it.

Sebum is pretty good stuff if you can get it distributed down your hair shaft.

spidermom
September 17th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Stuff coming off under my fingernails just after washing my hair tells me "time to clarify the scalp."

Katze
September 17th, 2008, 11:31 PM
yep, it sounds like sebum. I think your hair isn't getting clean enough.

I have had good results with occasionally washing without conditioning afterwards, or, as Spidermom suggested, conditioning THEN shampooing. But if I go too long without using any kind of sulfates, my hair gets dull and stringy like you describe.

Sometimes, a vinegar rinse helps, but in my case it's usually that it needs a deeper shampooing - I shampoo twice with a sulfate shampoo, and only put a leave-in on the ends afterwards.

Tangles
September 18th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Hmm, I was thinking maybe when I'm using shampoo, it gets clean but all the sebum comes to the surface and needs to be rinsed off again?