PDA

View Full Version : Layers or No Layers, What Say You?

leilani
June 13th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I just want to hear your thoughts on layers, if you have any strong thoughts about them. Here are the questions swirling around my head:

Best for wavy/curlies but bad idea for straight haired gals who love thickness?

Worth the thinning out effect for fabulous movement and appearance of volume?

Fabulous for healthier hair by elminating older hair ends, or harder to find all the split ends that are distributed all over the place and therefore harder to hunt down for S&Ds and microtrims?

I have quite straight WL hair, over 4" pony circumference but it just doesn't have a look of thickness these days, at least not compared to how it felt during pregnancy (babe is 8 months and a few months ago I suffered a massive postpartum shed all around my hair line and all over) and what I'm used to. I shouldn't complain but I'm longing for a thicker look. Should I ponytail cut it and get some movement and feel like my hair is more voluminous? http://www.howtohairgirl.com/2013/01/5-diy-haircuts-to-try-today/
I would love a look like: http://thebestfashionblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Long-Layered-Haircuts-2014-For-Women-3.jpg or http://cdn.blogs.sheknows.com/celebsalon.sheknows.com//2010/02/amanda-seyfried-long-layered-hairstyle-2010-682x1024.jpg
But do you need to blow dry and heat style to make it look like that? I am not using heat these days.
Using compact cutting are those looks created by cutting ponytail at hairline/forehead or top of head?

Sorry, lots of rambling and questions! If you are bored and like talking long hair and layers or your hatred of layers on long hair, please tell me all about your thoughts! I'm not looking to lose length...

browneyedsusan
June 13th, 2014, 01:31 PM
I like my layers, and I compact cut them. For me, I like the way it looks when it's down, especially around my face. (I don't wear my hair down very often though!)
My braid taper and sticky-out ends are drastic, but I don't care! :lala:
I think it boils down to personal preference; some people like them, some don't!

FWIW: I also had massive postpartum sheds when my kids were about 6 months old. It will grow back, but won't be as thick as when you were pregnant. My hair was pixied when I shed, and Hairdresser actually gasped when she saw all the babyhairs along my hairline! (Gee thanks, I really hadn't noticed! :justy: )

queenovnight
June 13th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Hmmm. I'm not a fan of layers. I still have a few sections that need to grow out, but when I had a massive amount of layers, it made my hair look even fuller. I didn't like it at all. Curls were just sticking out everywhere. So yeah, I didn't get that 'thinning effect' that I was looking for Lol. As for split ends.. I think it's harder to S&D and microtrim. I think everything -depending on how short the layers are- is more difficult with layers. But that's just from personal experience.

As for that girls hair.. Yeah, that's definitely a heat-styled look.

maskedrose
June 13th, 2014, 01:49 PM
I've had layers for my most my long hair journey (APL to hip), but recently cut back to BSL to rid myself of damage and layers. After having layers for most of my adult life, I can honestly say that for me and my 2B waves, they are more trouble than they are worth. They look great for the first month or two after a cut, but I've never had a layered cut grow out well...which means much more frequent trims to keep the shape, and less overall growth. The longest I was ever able to go was 6 months, and by then I was really unhappy with ratty ends. As others have mentioned, S&D is harder, as is microtrimming. Although, I suppose if you self trim and can manage to replicate your compact cut exactly every time, you'd probably be able to trim the layers. I've just always found that having a hairdresser "trim layers" basically means re-cutting them in.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm very much enjoying having one-length hair (U hem), and I'm almost positive that it will look much better when I get back to hip than it did with layers at hip. I've got decently thick hair (3.8"), but it wasn't enough to support layers at the longer lengths.

leilani
June 13th, 2014, 01:53 PM
I went through this a decade ago when I had my first two babes but I had forgotten how horrible the baby fuzz around the hairline can be! I cut bangs to hide it. Effective.

chen bao jun
June 13th, 2014, 01:55 PM
To me, definitely not worth the difficulty of putting up and the fact that braids look terrible on layered hair.
Layers make my curly hair look bushy too, but that wouldn't be a problem for you with 1b hair.
Your hair does not grow to as thick as it was DURING pregnancy but should be as thick as you were BEFORE pregnancy. You can try castor oil to rethicken it up. We have a thread.

kganihanova
June 13th, 2014, 02:02 PM
I can't stand them on me. They are a pain to grow out. But others? Sure.

CousinItt
June 13th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I've had layers for my most my long hair journey (APL to hip), but recently cut back to BSL to rid myself of damage and layers. After having layers for most of my adult life, I can honestly say that for me and my 2B waves, they are more trouble than they are worth. They look great for the first month or two after a cut, but I've never had a layered cut grow out well...which means much more frequent trims to keep the shape, and less overall growth. The longest I was ever able to go was 6 months, and by then I was really unhappy with ratty ends. As others have mentioned, S&D is harder, as is microtrimming. Although, I suppose if you self trim and can manage to replicate your compact cut exactly every time, you'd probably be able to trim the layers. I've just always found that having a hairdresser "trim layers" basically means re-cutting them in.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm very much enjoying having one-length hair (U hem), and I'm almost positive that it will look much better when I get back to hip than it did with layers at hip. I've got decently thick hair (3.8"), but it wasn't enough to support layers at the longer lengths.

Tell me about it. I did the long layer cut from the link above back in December and I HATE it. My hair looks and feels scraggly and thin. I have my days where I think maybe it would just be best to cut back to APL to get rid of them all, but my longest layers are so close to waist that I can't bring myself to do it... yet. Buns and braids suck with layers, but ponytails are nice (swingy and light). When I finally hit waist (if ever. This is the annoyingest stage so far) I'll be trimming, and probably doing a good u-hem too.

lapushka
June 13th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I don't think layers are necessarily bad for the straight haired of us out there. It all depends. I think if you are a iii, layers can go well with any texture you have. I don't think they "thin out" at all. They just bring movement to the hair. My hair was cut according to the ponytail on top of the forehead routine - for short layers. My longest layer is hip+ and my shortest layer APL+, so that should give you an idea of how much it gets layered up. If you want longer layers then go for the ponytail on top of the head routine. They will still be shortish layers, but not as short as with the other method.

To take it all in consideration, I wouldn't go changing up a routine when you have postpartum hairloss. The shock of that is harsh enough that you need to stick to what works, and not go drastically changing up a cut.

twiglet
June 13th, 2014, 02:11 PM
I've had layers for years, and I really like them on me, but I don't think that you can generalize that it will or won't look good on an entire hair type.

That being said I really think its something you either decide to try or you don't because since it is something that differs individual to individual (in appearance) there's no way to assure it will come out the way you want it to.

It does make S&D way harder but as I recently started micro trimming I made the decision to get rid of the layers bit by bit. The layers may make a comeback (I really like the way they look in my newly wurly hair) but I think I'd rather have someone else to them to be honest.

Also note that they are an extra thing you'll have to maintain. The layers will never grow out evenly which depending on your hair type may or may not be masked by your hair. So if they show you're going to have to retrim them in.

Those are my thoughts on layers... I hope that is in someway helpful haha :p

arr
June 13th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Im not a fan of layers and im in the process of growing them out. They never looked good on me unless i either flat ironed or used a curling iron, in which case they would look great but the heat was frying my hair. Unstyled, they looked like a frizzy poofy mess with hairs sticking out everywhere. Now i look forward to the last of my layers being gone and having smooth braids and buns. And when i wear my hair down, i love the look of a glossy smooth sheet of hair with no bits sticking out anywhere. This is just my opinion about my own hair, though.

browneyedsusan
June 13th, 2014, 02:25 PM
To me, definitely not worth the difficulty of putting up and the fact that braids look terrible on layered hair.
Layers make my curly hair look bushy too, but that wouldn't be a problem for you with 1b hair.
Your hair does not grow to as thick as it was DURING pregnancy but should be as thick as you were BEFORE pregnancy. You can try castor oil to rethicken it up. We have a thread.

ouch. :neutral:

Sharysa
June 13th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Layers aren't best for ALL waves/curls. My hair got wrecked when I had layers, but it may have also been a problem because my hair was short. Either way, I'm not getting layers again anytime soon. Fairy-tale ends and a u-hem are a nice midway point between one-length hair and layers.

I also like braids, so layers are still a no.

luluj
June 13th, 2014, 03:09 PM
I love my layers, they work great with my hair type and they give my hair some movement and create a little interest. I like having a style when I wear my hair down, which I do quite often, and the layers give me just that. As one gets a little more mature :wink:, soft, face framing layers can also help to soften the face, especially when the hair is up.

I will never give up my layers, I love them.:cloud9:

leilani
June 13th, 2014, 03:12 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqCg4b1CEAAtFvL.jpg
Hair is still a bit damp in the pic.
I did the top of the head ponytail compact cut. Took 4" or so. Sharpened the heck out of my scissors first and just SWOOP. My heart skipped a beat. It was a thrill. From shoulder to waist I now have layers! They worked! My hair looks so much BIGGER. And I didn't lose any length. The hemline is a bit thinner, I'll admit that, but it's worth it. I now have hair with body, shape, a style like luluj said. Before it just looked ...like a thin, long line reaching from my head to my pants. This is great.
I am not stressed about S&Ding splits and keeping the ends fresh because I can just do this once a month or so, make the top of the head ponytail and SWOOP take off a tiny bit and it will magically grab the ends of all my layers. I know where they are and how to find them again! That's the difference from my previous experience with layers and having trouble cutting the ends when they need it... this time I can gather them all in one spot and eliminate the ends regularly to keep the ends fresh. I'm elated.

luluj
June 13th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Oh, wow, it turned out beautifully, leilani, how do you like it?

lapushka
June 13th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Oh, wow, it turned out beautifully, leilani, how do you like it?

Yes, I agree. Very nice looking! :D

leilani
June 13th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I love it! Better layered cut than I ever got even when spending hundreds at salons for the whole higlight/cut/style/blowout routine.

leilani
June 13th, 2014, 03:30 PM
By the way it's crazy hard to take a selfie of the back of your head! My left arm just isn't meant to bend that way!

luluj
June 13th, 2014, 03:40 PM
I am so happy that you are happy! It looks wonderful!

Me, I am not confident enough to add layers, myself, so I go to the salon. Luckily, the stylist is very good and I trust her to always do a great job, but it is expensive, like you mentioned.

As for taking selfies of the back of your head, I agree, almost impossible! Perhaps you can have someone take the photo for you, I would love to see it!

jacqueline101
June 13th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I have a v hemline and no other layers I hated my layers. I didn't like my layers because they stuck out like broom straws.

Shock and D'aww
June 13th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I hope you'll love your layers! (And look better than I did with mine :rolleyes: )

MissHoney
June 13th, 2014, 03:58 PM
I love layers, love them.
Granted, my hair has only ever reached bsl (currently sl). Though 4a, my hair is easily limp/flat looking, and layers help. I've been getting my hair re-layered rather than trimmed (not even by the same person!) bi-monthly since Nov, and I have still maintained my length. I'm purposely getting damage off, though.
Ideally, I would love to be able to grow my hair to a length that I will be able to ponytail-cut layers myself.

Weewah
June 13th, 2014, 04:23 PM
I like layers now because it cuts down on the amount of bleach damaged hair I have, and all one length makes me look like a cocker spaniel. But when I grow out all natural I'm envisioning having less layers because my natural hair is less wavy. I'll always have face framing layers though so I can have hair around my face when I put it up, and have some sort of style to it.

spidermom
June 13th, 2014, 05:08 PM
I grew my hair for years without layers, and I liked that (most of the time). Then I got tired of it. Now I have layers. I like that too. It isn't like we have to choose one or the other and stick with it. Variety is the spice.

When I didn't have layers, I still had short hairs sticking out all over the place because of the shed and regrow cycle. It was just random and looked messy most of the time. At least now I have a style and am supposed to have shorter bits. S&D has been a major pain both without and with layers.

Of course the styles that look good are different with layers than without, but again - variety is the spice.

I'll probably grow out my layers again at some point. I won't stress over it. My choice.

panffle
June 13th, 2014, 05:13 PM
I have layers and personally I hate them. Most of my hair was damaged by hairdye and the layers suffered the most since they don't get microtrimmed as often. I've been trying to grow them out for over a year but I have to trim them more than I'd like, because if I don't they trim themselves by breaking lol. They didn't take off much of my thickness because that was not what I was aiming for, but they do make bunning a bit hard since a lot of hair likes to stick out.

HairFaerie
June 13th, 2014, 05:51 PM
I like a little bit of layers because I don't want a blunt hemline. They are a pain as I am growing out because they flip out everywhere. However, I think even if I had a blunt cut my hair would flip because I am a wavy. I am going to keep it slightly layered even when it is long because that is my personal preference. I am actually a big fan of fairy tale ends too.
I do remember the last time when my hair was almost waist, I had a little bit of layers and it was starting to fairy tale and the ends stuck out everywhere when I braided it. I didn't like that much but I wore it down mostly and I loved how the layers looked.

MINAKO
June 13th, 2014, 05:56 PM
No layers for me, i had some and was also growing out bangs forever until i could finally chop it all out to achive a blunt hemline, now going on to just let it gro into a flat V shape with some taper to avoid the triangle look. So i guess not touching it, or at least not much creates the exact thing i want.
Love this girls hair, i will get there soon http://engcut.chinalonghair.cn/picture/UploadFiles_2033/201405/2014051921002403.jpg

DweamGoiL
June 13th, 2014, 06:28 PM
I was growing out a blunt hemline, and for me, it was very heavy since my hair is thick. I was getting the whole pyramid thing going, and I didn't like the way that looked. Now, I have long layers and my hair is about WL give or take since I just had a recent trim. I love the look of the layers, but they do make bunning interesting. If you are a real stickler for no hairs springing out of your buns and saying hello, then layers are not for you. I have never been a big braider so that's not an issue for me. I wear my hair down about 75% of the time anyways. In the future, I might consider a U shape hemline if I get bored with the layers.

lapushka
June 14th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I like layers now because it cuts down on the amount of bleach damaged hair I have, and all one length makes me look like a cocker spaniel.

*That* is exactly how I feel when my hair's not layered. Like the ears of a CS, flat and flared out at the bottom and flat up top.

YamaMaya
June 14th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I'm having the hardest time dealing with layers and growing out fringe that once my hair is all one length, I'll never go back.

HintOfMint
June 14th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I'm extremely pro-layers, even some thinning if done right (emphasis on done right). Without them, my hair gets very flat on the top, bushy on the bottom and my waves just don't lay correctly.

ErinLeigh
June 14th, 2014, 09:09 PM
wow the compact method seems to impress me everytime I see the results.
Looks great!!!

Sparklylady82
June 16th, 2014, 01:10 AM

Good advice! My hair is similiar to yours, 2b/c and 4" thick. I just cut layers to rid of damage in my outer layers and I wondered how I would keep up with it. Does the weight of your hair drag down your waves being one length though?

Sparklylady82
June 16th, 2014, 01:11 AM
I'm extremely pro-layers, even some thinning if done right (emphasis on done right). Without them, my hair gets very flat on the top, bushy on the bottom and my waves just don't lay correctly.

Do you see a stylist or cut yourself??

Sparklylady82
June 16th, 2014, 01:14 AM
I like layers now because it cuts down on the amount of bleach damaged hair I have, and all one length makes me look like a cocker spaniel. But when I grow out all natural I'm envisioning having less layers because my natural hair is less wavy. I'll always have face framing layers though so I can have hair around my face when I put it up, and have some sort of style to it.

Your cocker spaniel comment made me chuckle! Do you find that the less damage you have the less waves or is it the length that is weighing them down? BTW you still have to share your haircare routine with me! I have enough posts now :-)

Tini'sNewHair
June 16th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Looks amazing on you well done :)

Weewah
June 16th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Your cocker spaniel comment made me chuckle! Do you find that the less damage you have the less waves or is it the length that is weighing them down? BTW you still have to share your haircare routine with me! I have enough posts now :-)

PMed it to you! So I think my bleached hairs are more wavy because the wave pattern of the individual bleached hairs have been messed up, so instead of the waves clumping smoothly together, they kinda puff out all over the place which leads to a wavier look. Like the individual strands are all fighting against each other instead of laying smoothly next to each other.

lapushka
June 16th, 2014, 06:05 PM
PMed it to you! So I think my bleached hairs are more wavy because the wave pattern of the individual bleached hairs have been messed up, so instead of the waves clumping smoothly together, they kinda puff out all over the place which leads to a wavier look. Like the individual strands are all fighting against each other instead of laying smoothly next to each other.

That definitely happened when my hair was bleached. It felt thicker and it poofed out more, making it appear more wavy. But I had the same thing with henna. :oops:

Nadine <3
June 16th, 2014, 07:27 PM
I have layers! very slight layers. I was on a *cut them all out* mission, but the longer they get the less they annoy me so I might keep them just to save length. The only ones that bother me are the ones on the sides of my head. I I have chunks on both sides that are only shoulder length and I HHAAATE them.

Weewah
June 17th, 2014, 06:27 AM
That definitely happened when my hair was bleached. It felt thicker and it poofed out more, making it appear more wavy. But I had the same thing with henna. :oops:

I hennaed my underlayer and can't tell if it did anything to the texture. I decided to hold off on doing my whole head though, it's a pretty crazy color D:

HintOfMint
June 17th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Do you see a stylist or cut yourself??

I definitely see a stylist, I would never trust myself to cut my own hair. I also don't think that the layers that I want are easily replicated by a compact/crea-clip cut.

XcaliburGirl
June 18th, 2014, 05:21 AM
I did the top-of-the-head ponytail cut back in February. At first, it was a shock and all my buns were very messy. I started planning on how to get rid of them. However, five months later, they seem to have blended a bit. Also I think the weather change has made my hair wurlier.

So, at the moment, I like them. I agree with Spidermom, sometimes it's nice to enjoy the benefits of both.

emilia1992
June 18th, 2014, 07:45 AM
I did a ponytail cut once. It looked good (though it caused a lot of tapering in a ponytail) but when I came to trim it it was a nightmare, since the ends all ended at different points, and wouldn't go up in the ponytail in the same way as when I'd first cut it.

Scarlet_Heart
June 18th, 2014, 08:00 AM
I have some long layers and I'm a wavy. I love the way layers look when my hair is down, but they do make braiding frustrating. Bunning isn't a problem though. My layers are long enough that my first coil or two do not contain pokey ends, and the rest can be tucked under the first two coils.

lapushka
June 18th, 2014, 08:54 AM
I did a ponytail cut once. It looked good (though it caused a lot of tapering in a ponytail) but when I came to trim it it was a nightmare, since the ends all ended at different points, and wouldn't go up in the ponytail in the same way as when I'd first cut it.

It's really better to put it up in the ponytail while hanging your head upside down. It helps.