View Full Version : Gosh hair! Make up your mind already!

Nadine <3
June 12th, 2014, 05:53 PM
I'm becoming super frustrated with my hair!:mad:

About a week ago I got some aloe vera gel. I was really excited because I wanted to try out an SMT for the first time. I measured it out, applied it, and let it sit for an hour. I hopped in the shower after that and actually used a bit of shampoo on my scalp since my hair HHHAAAATEs conditioners and oils on it and I didn't want to have an itchy, unhappy scalp. Once it was dry, the very ends felt like they where coated in glue. Sticky and somehow crunchy at the same time. The length was sticky and felt like cotton candy. It was really, really gross. I braided it though and just let it be for a few days. At my next wash, I decided to try clarifying and chelating, so I used a regular sulfate shampoo with a good amount of baking soda mixed in to make a bit of a whitish colored paste. I shampoo'd with that, followed up with a pretty strong vinegar rinse (didn't really measure, just dumped in what I figured was "enough" (I always do it that way, never had any problems, my hair loves it) After that dried it felt better, but not it's smooth nice self. It was still tangly, esp at the ends. I micro trimmed, and got rid of splits and the few white dots I had and it still felt crunchy and cotton candy like. So this wash, I just used a suave shampoo with the matching conditioner. It felt weird while drying so I french braided it and took it out this morning and found hair that feels dry. I'm afraid to put anything in it!!! What could be going on with my hair? I feel like it's making me look like a scary troll monster.:mad:

FallingDarkness
June 12th, 2014, 05:58 PM
LOL Scary Troll Monster. I have those days, too. :P
Well you already tried clarifying, but it's also my understanding that you shouldn't clarify and chelate all in one go - it can be drying. Also might I ask what conditioners/shampoos do you use? Does your entire length feel crunchy, or just your ends?
Maybe SMT doesn't work for you, especially if your hair doesn't like conditioner in general. I'd definitely put coconut oil on the length, bun it, and put a shower cap over that, and keep it on your hair for as long as possible. It works wonders for me, especially if the oil is on my hair for 36 hours...

Nadine <3
June 12th, 2014, 06:22 PM
I rotate between cheep shampoo and conditioner from walmart, though I do use burts bees from time to time. Recently I've been using Suave and VO5 and my hair is normally really nice with just that. My hair LOVES conditioner, it's just my scalp that I worry about. I CO washed for a few months when I first joined and my hair loved it, but after a few months I started shedding like crazy and had to use shampoo a few times before it stopped. Now I'm probably more paranoid more than anything else. I can put conditioner on the length and braid it and my hair soaks it up.

I've always clarified and chelated in the same go and never found it to drying. before. Maybe I should start doing them separately.

It's just the very ends that are crunchy...the rest feels gummy and kinda tacky.

spidermom
June 12th, 2014, 07:03 PM
I'd do some conditioner-only soaks to the length.. You can keep it away from your scalp.

Nadine <3
June 12th, 2014, 07:45 PM
I actually just got done showering. Covered my length in Suave, washed my scalp, rinsed, then conditioned again. Got out, sprayed in my leave in, then sealed it with a drop of olive oil. Waiting on it to dry, but hopefully it looks okay. If it still feels bad I'll throw it into a braid and do nothing but wash and condition it for awhile...last time I did that it grew an inch and I didn't even notice LOL

molljo
June 12th, 2014, 08:33 PM
SLS shampoo mixed with baking soda plus vinegar rinse won't chelate, just clarify. You need either a citric acid rinse or a swimmers'/specifically chelating shampoo.

I hope this last wash fixes your hair troubles!

Nadine <3
June 12th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Huh, I though vinegar chelated? My bad, maybe I should get a chelating shampoo...

My hair is just about dry and it feels a lot better! I don't think my hair likes aloe vera at all...maybe it's just the fruit of the earth stuff I got, and maybe directly from the plant would work better... Whatever it was my hair hated it, and the only new thing I used in my hair was the aloe.