PDA

View Full Version : Weird hair on nape of neck? What am i supposed to do with it?

skipper
June 12th, 2014, 05:15 PM
I have very curly hair and the hairs on the nape of my neck throw off any "up-do" i do with my hair. ive always had really weird hair that grows under my hairline. i decided to shave it off a few months ago to try to shape up my hairline but now as it grew back its even more thicker. idk what to do with it. does anyone else have this problem or is it just my hair ? 😢😢😢😢 i like the look of a clean neat hair line. should i wax it ? or get laser hair removal? Lol 😂

https://31.media.tumblr.com/501957488f13dbce81bc1825869b0dd8/tumblr_n72ucbUYoE1soyeb2o1_500.jpg

neko_kawaii
June 12th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Most people have whispy hairs at nape. Mine are curly too. When I want them to look particularly nice I spritz them after the bun is done.

ETA:
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg632/neko_kawaii_hair/_DSC5998.jpg

lapushka
June 12th, 2014, 05:40 PM
I'd stop shaving it, for one. Just leave it alone and let it grow. And add plenty of moisture (conditioning) to your routine to soften those curls.

CurlMonster
June 12th, 2014, 05:56 PM
I think everybody has those to some extent. Yours might look a little funny now that they have grown back so thick from being shaved (generally they are more wispy and all different lengths), but if you give it time they should go back to normal.

Larki
June 12th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I have those too, and I don't even have curly hair. :p

spidermom
June 12th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Yes to the shorter, curlier hairs at the nape. I twirl mine around very lightly gelled fingers so they look like curls instead of dandelion fluff.

Nadine <3
June 12th, 2014, 08:27 PM
I have those, they do whatever they want most of the time. I don't mind them, they soften up the look of a bun very nicely I think.

Freija
June 12th, 2014, 09:02 PM
I love my fluff! My boyfriend adores them, too - often if I have my hair up and I'm busy doing something, he'll come up behind me and start stroking them because they are really, really soft. Like baby hair or cat fur.

I say embrace them! : )

Ingrid
June 12th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Maybe you could try making low buns so that these shorter hairs are protected as you grow them out?

ARG
June 12th, 2014, 09:57 PM
I'm completely ambivalent toward mine. I'm pretty sure I have a partially blocked out traumatic memory of my mom trying to shave mine. I would recommend you just leave them be, they soften the look of buns, and for people blessed with the curly nape hairs, it totally reminds me of something Jane Austen-esque, which is quite enviable to me.

If you take a look at the bun picture thread you'll see tons of pictures of beautiful buns, and different hair type nape hairs, maybe it'll warm your feelings towards yours.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 12th, 2014, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=neko_kawaii;2740008]Most people have whispy hairs at nape. Mine are curly too. When I want them to look particularly nice I spritz them after the bun is done.

I totally agree with Neko Kawaii, plus I think they are really cute - I wouldn't want to get rid of mine, they are pretty and feminine! ETA: They aren't "really weird hairs" - they are quite normal!

HumanBean
June 12th, 2014, 11:39 PM
I HATE mine as they grow very low and patchy just on the sides behind my ears. They make every updo messy looking which is why I prefer romantic styles and not sleek ones. When I first got on LHC I shaved them. I inquired about laser removal too. But the shaving maintenance was too much and so I let them grow out again. Mine do not curl. I just try to ignore them now. But if I was rich I'd get my hairline lasered.

Here's a pic of them.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff470/Blbrady/th_c70e5c8f2c395db970dc85bcc4e2ee4d.jpg (http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff470/Blbrady/?action=view&current=c70e5c8f2c395db970dc85bcc4e2ee4d.jpg)

Here is an old pic with the hairline shaved but with some growth; you can see how far down on my neck the day old stubble goes:
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff470/Blbrady/th_e524c90c.jpg (http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff470/Blbrady/?action=view&current=e524c90c.jpg)

LadyDedlock
June 13th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Skipper, my sister has a long hairline at the back and at 45 she is finally getting it laser treated. Do whatever that makes you happy :)

momschicklets
June 13th, 2014, 06:06 AM
I have them too :D I'm pretty sure on me they are hairs that have snapped or broken from too-tight updos. I used to wear my hair tightly up with a cheap claw clip most of the day. But it sounds normal for everyone to have some regardless. If you let them be they might grow enough for you to include most of them into your updos. And the few that linger look sort of wispy and feminine :o

jacqueline101
June 13th, 2014, 06:09 AM
I'm strange I just let mine be I ignore them. They don't bug me.

two_wheels
June 13th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Mine bothered me when I had a pixie. I was considering keeping the pixie and it was one of the reasons I decided to grow.

I thank my lucky stars that they grew in blonde, because I think they would bother me now otherwise. They do look pretty on some people but it's not for everyone, I think. I would definitely add some moisture and see how long you can grow them, then make a decision when they are wispy and terminal again. If you still can't stand it, I honestly see nothing wrong with finding a groupon laser treatment or something. Or restricting oneself to very loose romantic updos. Better to be happy with it.

Pallas
June 13th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Maybe you could slick them up with some product? If you really hate them maybe that small amount of potential damage is worth it, especially since it's at the very bottom.
I used to have some really curly nape hairs too and I considered epilating, but ultimately decided that was more hassle and pain then I was willing to commit to lol

SkyChild
June 13th, 2014, 08:41 AM
I like mine. When I had a pixie they annoyed me.
I know what you mean though, if you want a slick look just use product (tiny bit of hair gel)and they'll stick.

velorutionista
June 13th, 2014, 09:10 AM
If I want mine up off my neck, I twirl them all together and bobby pin them into the hair above them.

SnowbirdRose
June 13th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Same here. I'm growing out a pixie and I didn't like going to the hairdresser every three weeks to get my little hairs trimmed. Mine are coming in white, at least that is what my daughter says. She calls them baby hairs.
Mine bothered me when I had a pixie. I was considering keeping the pixie and it was one of the reasons I decided to grow.

I thank my lucky stars that they grew in blonde, because I think they would bother me now otherwise. They do look pretty on some people but it's not for everyone, I think. I would definitely add some moisture and see how long you can grow them, then make a decision when they are wispy and terminal again. If you still can't stand it, I honestly see nothing wrong with finding a groupon laser treatment or something. Or restricting oneself to very loose romantic updos. Better to be happy with it.

molljo
June 13th, 2014, 10:49 AM
I'm going to agree with everyone else. In a pixie, they're super super annoying but in an updo they're very romantic. I think having them with very short hair just makes everything look shaggy and unkempt. Although I'm surprised you don't like that they curl! Mine are very straight and fine, and they just float outward, driving me bonkers. At least baby tendrils are pretty.

Wavelength
June 13th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Wet fingers in water.

Twirl nape hairs around finger to form bottle curls. (I usually do one bottle curl per side.)

Let dry. Mine keep curling in the same direction as they dry, and I end up with pretty tendrils.

Or like Spidermom, you can use gel for a more finished look.

ExpectoPatronum
June 13th, 2014, 12:19 PM
My nape hairs aren't that much different in texture. Mine are a completely different color from the rest of my hair. Naturally, my hair is a medium brown with lots of golden tones to it. However, I have a streak about one inch wide at my nape that is red, like natural red head. It looks cool in updos. I find all the different colors and textures on a single head of hair to be interesting.

Radiant
June 14th, 2014, 05:42 AM
I have very curly hair and the hairs on the nape of my neck throw off any "up-do" i do with my hair. ive always had really weird hair that grows under my hairline. i decided to shave it off a few months ago to try to shape up my hairline but now as it grew back its even more thicker. idk what to do with it. does anyone else have this problem or is it just my hair ? i like the look of a clean neat hair line. should i wax it ? or get laser hair removal? Lol

I agree with everyone else - it's not weird to have the hairs at the nape. I think most people do. Personally, it doesn't bother me, and I just let mine be. Since you say you like the look of a neat hair line why not try to smooth it down with a bit of product rather than going for hair removal?

No idea how it would work for you, but since you have curly hair, maybe try some of the "ethnic" hair care products if what you've tried doesn't smooth down the hair well enough. I know they make products usually called "edge control" that women with type 4 hair often use for their hairlines to smooth down course or curly hair. Maybe these products would work for you and be a better idea than shaving.

Isilme
June 16th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Sigh, I also have nape hairs that are a completely different texture, curly, kinky and very brittle. I always have to trim them because they are full of splits which leads to them being shorter and not going into an updo which also leads to lesser protection and ultimately more damage. It's like an evil circle. Baby them as much as you can, mine soaks up natural cone free body butter like a sponge, and shave if they bother you. Sometimes I take a tiny hair friendly claw clip and clip them up under my bun, looks a bit cute.

MINAKO
June 16th, 2014, 01:06 PM
i hate these, because they grow like half the way down my neck on me, really excessive. But i dont want the feel of shaved hair growing back im either. just try not to look at it, thats what i do. ;)

lapushka
June 16th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I agree with everyone else - it's not weird to have the hairs at the nape. I think most people do. Personally, it doesn't bother me, and I just let mine be. Since you say you like the look of a neat hair line why not try to smooth it down with a bit of product rather than going for hair removal?

This. ^^ Smooth it down rather than shave it. Shaving it looks good for about 4 days to a week, then it has already started growing back and is starting to be unruly. It looks like you shave a pretty big chunk off as well (too big of a chunk), instead of going for the unruly bits, you shaved into your hairline it looks like. I'd regrow it and start smoothing it down with some aloe gel or regular (alcoholfree) gel. Eco Styler is the one I use the most for my waves and I'm pretty happy with it.

Agnes Hannah
June 16th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I'm glad I found this thread, I have these fine baby hairs on my nape too, and was wondering what to do about them. I have left them as they do make an updo softer, but recently was thinking that if I could protect these, they may grow a bit longer too. I'm looking for a small clip now to do this.

Isilme
June 16th, 2014, 03:07 PM
I just want to add in case it helps anyone, Ultrabland from Lush is very good for taming those little nape hairs. It is originally made as an oil and butter based makeup remover but I use it as a body butter wherever I have really dry skin or as a lip balm, or tamer of nape hairs! :)

skipper
June 16th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the opinions! To clear things up a bit, I did shave up into my hairline a bit but the hairs that I shaved off were only about 4 inches in length. and my hair is around 20 inches long. I think that those hairs hit terminal length at my hairline. I'm not really sure why though my hair isn't damaged or anything. Before I decided to shave them off I would always have to get bobby pins and pin them up if I wore my hair in a higher bun. That's one of the reasons I just shaved it.

lapushka
June 16th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Before I decided to shave them off I would always have to get bobby pins and pin them up if I wore my hair in a higher bun. That's one of the reasons I just shaved it.

I'd say be glad, be *very* very very glad that you have such beautiful curly hair, because at least your wispy bits can look romantic. Mine (wavy) and the wispy bits of straighties just... hang there. :lol:

robert.brown987
April 2nd, 2018, 07:47 AM
I have very curly hair and the hairs on the nape of my neck throw off any "up-do" i do with my hair. ive always had really weird hair that grows under my hairline. i decided to shave it off a few months ago to try to shape up my hairline but now as it grew back its even more thicker. idk what to do with it. does anyone else have this problem or is it just my hair ? 😢😢😢😢 i like the look of a clean neat hair line. should i wax it ? or get laser hair removal (https://www.richfeel.com/treatment/laser-hair-reduction-women-body/)? Lol 😂

https://31.media.tumblr.com/501957488f13dbce81bc1825869b0dd8/tumblr_n72ucbUYoE1soyeb2o1_500.jpg

I don't think waxing is an option here because in case of waxing, hair will always grow back and in no time you'll be having this problem again.
Unless you can wax that hair again and again, I would suggest that you opt for laser hair removal.
Might be a little costly, but if it is successful, the problem can be suppressed up to a great extent.
These are just my thoughts though.

Guitargod
April 2nd, 2018, 10:28 AM
They're very similar to "baby hairs" on the forehead - fine, short terminal length and often curly. I find them adorable on a woman's neck - they compliment an updo very well.
And cutting /shaving is probably a bad solution if you want to get rid of them because they'll grow out with blunt ends instead of a soft taper.

http://m.hilleroed.lokalavisen.dk/storyimage/PL/20141204/ARTIKLER/712049731/V2/0/V2-712049731.jpg&MaxW=630&MaxH=420&Q=100&IsoModifiedDate=20141205104531

Stray_mind
April 2nd, 2018, 10:33 AM
I also have them. When my hair was cut short, my stylist shaved them off, but they are growing back... i kind of ignore them.

zanelle
April 2nd, 2018, 11:35 AM
Let them grow...

MusicalSpoons
April 2nd, 2018, 11:38 AM
These started to drive me a bit bonkers as mine grow straight and reasonably long - up to about 6" long! - but not long enough to go in with the rest of my hair up. I just don't have the energy to care any more :lol: Actually, reading this thread has reminded me that I have some teeny-tiny metal claw clips so I might try using one to put them up when I do want to look a bit more put-together. They might just fall back down over the clip though, knowing my hair :rolleyes:

bparnell75
April 2nd, 2018, 12:46 PM
These started to drive me a bit bonkers as mine grow straight and reasonably long - up to about 6" long! - but not long enough to go in with the rest of my hair up. I just don't have the energy to care any more :lol: Actually, reading this thread has reminded me that I have some teeny-tiny metal claw clips so I might try using one to put them up when I do want to look a bit more put-together. They might just fall back down over the clip though, knowing my hair :rolleyes:

I deal with the same problem. I use combs to hold them up or those little snap clips,

Beeboo123
April 4th, 2018, 12:48 AM
I have a TON of baby hairs around my hairline and on the nape of my neck. I like the ones around my forehead, but really dislike the ones on my neck! They grow fairly low down, and have too short a terminal length, so I can never incorporate them into my buns unless I’m wearing the lowest of buns =[ Has anyone had good results from lasering nape hair off?

shaluwm_agape
April 4th, 2018, 01:38 AM
there are different textures &grains in everyone's hair. Especially at the nape! shaving it in my opinion will actually thicken the texture of them. It is completely normal & natural

Five of Five
April 4th, 2018, 01:56 AM
They seem to look lovely on most people, but I shave mine as they actually grow out to the sides and the front, and end up sticking out like super-villain mustache. They are also darker and coarser than the rest of my hair, but never grow longer than six inches or so.

RubberDucky
April 4th, 2018, 07:13 AM
Most of my hair is ashy, thick and wavy, but my nape hair is straight, silky and almost copper colored. Looks odd but I don't mind :)