PDA

View Full Version : How exactly do LHC members measure hair?

Lady Una
June 12th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Sorry for asking this...I'm sure the answer is somewhere in the forums, but I can't for the life of me find it!

How does the hair measurement work? I measured from the top of my head in the back (where my part ended) but don't know if that was the right place to start measuring. From there my hair measures about 31 inches...it's almost hip length and I'm 5'4".

Sharysa
June 12th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Usually we measure from the hairline. But since my hair turned wavy after taking care of it, I've stopped measuring in inches and just go by body markers.

DweamGoiL
June 12th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Yes, usually, you place your tape measure at the hairline and trace your head and all the way down your length. For curly or wavy hair, members usually stretch a strand to get an accurate measurement, but some people use body markers for textured hair also. It's kind of a glass half full or half empty type of thing :)

Lady Una
June 12th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Oh hooray!!! I will probably get at least a few inches from measuring from the hairline!!! That makes me really happy. :D

I'll get my sister to help me measure it properly soon. I don't want to do it now because I managed to do a Rose Bun that actually looks nice and got it to stay up with a hairstick (not a very big accomplishment for many of you, but I'm a newbie and really bad at buns still). :P

Panth
June 12th, 2014, 01:50 PM
As others have said - from the hairline. It may seem a bit like cheating, but it gives far, far more consistent, repeatable measurements than measuring from the crown (and that's the whole point of measuring, right? to see if/how much your hair has grown for your own information so that you can tailor your routine, not as some kind of competition that you might be tempted to cheat at).

Larki
June 12th, 2014, 01:52 PM
I measure from my part line, because it measures my actual hair length, not the curve of my head or anything else adding length.

lapushka
June 12th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Measuring from the hairline is the correct method at LHC, that's what all the measurements mean (measured from hairline). Me? I no longer have it measured from there, only go by body markers and how far off I am still. Currently 2 inches to TBL. Yay. :cheer:

twiglet
June 12th, 2014, 04:16 PM
I measure with body markers! But mostly because my hair changes texture (it can be wurly or straight without heat if it is manipulated when damp) and it is more consistent to use body markers because it tends to remain in the same area of the body if that makes sense! :p

Aderyn
June 12th, 2014, 07:10 PM
I also measure using primarily body markers and how much distance is left to a body marker/between body markers. I don't get very consistent results when measuring from the hairline down my back.

Lady Una
June 12th, 2014, 09:00 PM
All right, I took my hair down before braiding it for bed and had my sister measure...34 inches...about one inch from hip. Yay!