PDA

View Full Version : updo advice

bjt
September 17th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I've been going through all the threads I can find with style instructions, and its been great learning some new styles.

I am still looking for updos that don't pull all the hair straight back off my face. I'm totally style-challenged, but would love some advice on some styles (or just one!) that wouldn't make me look so severe from from the front.

hope that makes sense. would love some advice. :confused:

thanks!

melikai
September 17th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I'm no updo expert, but maybe you could try some half-ups, or else perhaps do something like french braids along each side of your head, but do them a bit more loosely so they look softer? :\

Xi
September 17th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Dear bjt:
What about Isilya's lovely version of Yvaine's hair style (from the movie Stardust)? I haven't tried it yet, but it looks very soft and romantic to me. See her instructions
(I hope that works -- I'm not very computer literate:o)

Angellen
September 17th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I'm sorry I don't really have any good suggestions. I've been looking for similar hairdos myself, because I have the same problem. My straight M hair is difficult to make soft and romantic looking without leaving it down, and at my length that isn't an option for me all the time. :shrug:

I offer my sympathies; I'll be watching this thread. :)

melikai
September 17th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Dear bjt:
What about Isilya's lovely version of Yvaine's hair style (from the movie Stardust)? I haven't tried it yet, but it looks very soft and romantic to me. See her instructions
(I hope that works -- I'm not very computer literate:o)

That's a good idea! This also reminded me that you could do a simple flipped ponytail too.

brightonwoman
September 17th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I'd recommend something like in my avatar--roll the edges along the face and then put it in a ponytail or bun or whatever in back...I've done this both high and nape of the neck. (I have some more explanation of how to do the 'do in my photos on my profile page, or feel free to PM me if you need an explanation of how to do it)

hth!

anna1850
September 17th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure if your hair is quite long enough but I'm really looking forward to being able to do this coronet bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=62). Most of the hair is just pulled back but the braid softens it a lot. I still need about another year's growth to be able to do it though.

chotee
September 18th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Hi bit, i do updo's and that is one serious drawback since most of them make the face look serious. since most of the buns and braids are pulled back. Since my hair is around 35" and straight i have not much choice. Sometimes, i put the same braid but i pull out small growing hair in the front and near my ears and immediately it gives my face a different softer look. Another hairstyle i recently saw in my parlor's magazine is to have the bun slightly off centre. So that it shows off from the side. When my hair is freshly washed, 2 braids lose and casually plaited can keep your hair safe at the same time look good too. well, i will visit this thread more often as i would love to know other ideas..

sneakybea
September 18th, 2008, 01:59 AM
One of the tricks I used to do before I cut bangs was to separate the very front of the hair and do a quiff hairstyle, which is featured in the Klutz book Hair: a book of braiding and styles. You separate out the front of your hair, twist it loosely and coil it around like you're making a bun, but only once or twice, then flip it over and pin it. Brush the dangling ends to blend with the rest of your hair. You can then do a braid, bun or whatever, and it won't look as severe; the quiff poufs up over the coiled hair, and gives (I think) a very nineteen forties look. In fact, if my instructions are unclear, you might find some with pictures at a '40s hairstyles or swing dancing site.

Iphinoe
September 18th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I'm not sure if you would classify this as 'pulled back from the face', but I always part my hair on the side instead of the centre to get a sweep of hair that goes across my forehead like side-swept bangs.

Then I pull the hair back and do an updo as usual. I find the side-swept front to be much more flattering than pulled straight back or with a centre part.

Hope that helps!

bjt
September 18th, 2008, 09:06 AM
wow, thank you everyone for the advice! I'll investigate everything you all have mentioned so far, but since I'm new to doing anything with my hair other than a simple braid, I have some questions--sorry if they seem remedial!

Melikai--what is a flipped ponytail?

Brightonwoman--your avatar is beautiful. That looks like what I need to learn (as well as Xi's suggestion of Yvaine's hairstyle... looks similar). Unfortunately, it seems I can't look at your profile or PM you (maybe I'm too new). Is there a way of allowing me to look at your profile or PM?

Anna1850--the coronet bus is a great idea. especially just the fact that she can ponytail her hair even though its all pretty loose around her ears. Maybe I need to try that with buns--the only way I can bun right now is to pull it straight back!

Iphinoe--your idea of sweeping across the forehead is a great idea! it would be much more flattering. do you secure the sweep somehow before starting to bun it? I've tried doing this and it falls apart as I twist my hair for the bun, so any suggestions or tips is hugely appreciated!

Sneaky Bea--I'll look for the Klutz book, thanks!

thanks again for everyone's advice. and for being patient with a newbie!

:D

Iphinoe
September 18th, 2008, 12:29 PM
My hair is all one length, so when I part it on the side and smooth it down/brush it back past my ears, then gather it into a low ponytail, I don't have a problem with it slipping when I start to twist. Although sometimes I have to re-smooth if the hair has been shifted by the twisting.

Can you explain a bit more about how exactly it falls apart when you twist?

bjt
September 18th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Hi Iphinoe--let me see if I can explain. My hair is one length, too. I part it on the right side. So I sweep the hair from the part to the left side next to my ear...
When I twist my hair for a bun, I twist it clockwise (its the way the feels natural to me, the other direction feels impossible). So, I am twisting in an opposite direction from how the hair is sweeping across, and the twisting motion starts to pull my hair back up toward the middle of my hair, so the sweep just falls apart. Does that make sense?

do you twist your hair counterclockwise? maybe I need to try and learn how to do that. or get some side combs to anchor the side swept hair first before I twist... hmmmm... I'll have to experiment!

bjt
September 18th, 2008, 05:52 PM
ooops... I can't edit my posts. but I meant the twisting motion pulls the sweep back up toward the middle of my HEAD.

Iphinoe
September 18th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Have you tried parting your hair on the opposite side?

To be honest, I can do this with my hair parted on either side. Maybe start with a low ponytail secured with an elastic to make certain the front doesn't shift, and then form the updo?

Oh, and make sure when you are brushing/combing the 'bangs' part, you sweep down and across so it's not sitting too high on the head? I don't have any means to create a video so I'm sorry I can't be more illustrative.

Teazel
September 18th, 2008, 06:33 PM
A tip Harpgal gave me was: when you've done your updo, place your hands on either side of your head and firmly push the hair forward a little. A simple thing, but it makes a big difference.

I've just discovered that I can coax shorter tendrils down around my face and give them a little spritz with water and aloe vera gel to make them hang together. Like this!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Scarla/hair/splash.jpg

rubyredslippers
September 19th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I second the loose tendrils around the face idea. I do that all the time, when I do updos. But then, my hair is shorter than yours so it might be more manageable.

chotee
September 19th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I second the loose tendrils around the face idea. I do that all the time, when I do updos. But then, my hair is shorter than yours so it might be more manageable.

I third, thats the best option for me!

bjt
September 21st, 2008, 08:07 AM
I've been pulling a few loose tendrils out, and it does help. I only have a few that are short enough to do that with, though. I've been practicing the rolling thing on the side, and I'm getting better at it, but haven't figured out how to secure it well yet. I'll keep working on it (and maybe get some little barrettes or something)
In the mean time, I bought some side combs and have been using them with all my buns and braids. It works great just to poof out the sides a little big so it isn't flat against my head--and has a much softer look.

thanks again everyone for the suggestions! (I wish there was a hairstyle coach that you could pay to give you lessons in person!) :p