PDA

View Full Version : Scalp hurts when I put my hair up

LunaLuvsU
June 11th, 2014, 02:34 PM
When ever I put my hair up, no matter how gentle or soft I am, I always feel tugging and pain. My hair is far from compliant when it comes to doing anything (besides braiding) with it. Its almost like my roots are stiff or something. I dont massage often, maybe twice to three times a week, do you think I should do it more? Any advice is appreciated :o

mira-chan
June 11th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Each root has a tiny muscle attached. Sometimes when the scalp is too hold, irritated or has just plain stiff muscles you can get those type of scalp aches. If it's irritation or temperature issues, you need to check that. If it's plain old stiff muscles then for me putting them into hairstyles that give a bit of tug but not to be too painful for short term helped reduce it overall. It's like stretching your other muscles you feel some discomfort when you start then it gets better.

Madora
June 11th, 2014, 03:28 PM
You're experiencing pain because your hair follicles are not used to being drawn in a different direction (up).

You can get around this problem if you're willing to gradually train your follicles..i.e. wear your hair in a bun for 15 minutes at a time. After 15 minutes, take down your bun and detangle your hair, then braid it for the rest of the day.

Next day, try the bun again, but this time, leave it up for half an hour.

Each day, see if you can extend your time another 5 minutes. If you can't, then just continuing practicing for the time you can wear it up comfortably.
The next week, try increasing the time again and see how your scalp reacts.

After you take it down each time, if your scalp tolerates it, try a gentle scalp massage. Be sure to detangle your hair before and after you massage.

HairFaerie
June 11th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I have the same problem, plus I get headaches! The longer my hair gets, the worse it is. I have just accepted the fact that there are going to be very few updos I can do. I plan to wear it down most of the time anyway. I don't have much choice...better than headaches!

browneyedsusan
June 11th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I'm just chiming in to say Madora gave me the same advice a few years ago, and it works like a charm!

When I first started growing, anything foreign--bobbypin, barrette, hairtie, teensy jaw clip-- in my hair was bothersome, and my follicles protested if I did anything with my hair besides wear it down. I got a headache after 10 minutes from ONE bobbypin?! :justy: I thought something was wrong with my head! (Okay, probably something IS wrong with my head, but we won't derail the thread with that, will we? :lala: )

It's better now. I can wear it up in any style I choose for most of the day. Some "new" things bother a little, but it isn't anything like it once was!

(Thanks, Madora. :flowers:)

Madora
June 11th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Glad it worked for you, browneyedsusan! Follicle pain really HURTS!

ARG
June 11th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I also found for me that certain buns tend to lessen the pain, like center held buns. Once I discovered those and flexi's, I haven't had any problems.

Larki
June 11th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Mine hurts when I wear my hair up when it isn't clean; I guess the oil builds up in the roots and makes it difficult for the hair to move at the roots.

Vanilla
June 11th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Madora's advice really helps, definitely. Also, center held buns like the nautilus were a game changer for me. I didn't like braiding either, as my nape hairs would hurt too. Once I learned how to Dutch braid, that helped a lot as far as my nape hairs hurting.