PDA

View Full Version : Split ends advice

Sparklylady82
June 11th, 2014, 02:31 PM
I really hope I'm not out of line by posting a new thread all about myself haha! I really need some advise though so I hope you all don't mind. I've spent many years damaging my hair, fighting my waves, fighting my natural hair color...im so tired of it and I've taken a new lease on beauty. I want to be natural and learn to love what I was created as...not try and change it. That's my intro!

So I've decided now to
give up all the harmful stuff an treat my hair like silk now but I'm left with many split ends especially on my top and face framing layers. I was sitting outside and started looking at my hair and noticed how bad the damage really is...

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a517/haleyemily06/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/6AA012D3-4B00-448A-A6C4-6D1917E6CFF0_zps8clp0mzo.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/haleyemily06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/6AA012D3-4B00-448A-A6C4-6D1917E6CFF0_zps8clp0mzo.jpg.html)

can you see that well? Anyway, I'd like advice. What I know is that it'll probably not grow with all those splits but I am afraid to go to a salon! My hair is APL and 2b/2c texture. Should I trim it and maybe add layers so that the most damaged part is cut off...I just don't know what to do or HOW?

Advice is apprexiated :-)

mira-chan
June 11th, 2014, 02:56 PM
You could micro trim. You'd be amazed how much difference a little trim makes. If you want all the damage off and don't mind shorter hair for a while then go ahead and have fun with a new layered style while growing out the damage. You can slowly trim the layers to a blunt hemline as it grows if you so choose.

If you want to trim yourself, try Feye's self trimming mentioned, it should be in the sticky thread on the Mane board.

Madora
June 11th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Try and trim off as much damage as you can (be sure your scissors are sharp).

I wouldn't advise layers as it is easier to keep track of damage/splits if your hair is all one length.

Undomiel
June 11th, 2014, 03:19 PM
I second mira-chan and Madora. Feye's trimming method is my go to.

lapushka
June 11th, 2014, 03:23 PM
If I'm not mistaken I can see a few white dots in there as well. You could microtrim & do S&D missions to trim off individual splits or white dots, but if there's lots of them your best bet is microtrims. Microtrimming means you trim your growth or slightly less than your growth off monthly. That way you won't have to sacrifice any length.

Sparklylady82
June 11th, 2014, 04:01 PM
I LOVE this advice thank you! I watched a utube video about feyes method so I will try that along with micro trims! I'll have to do the S&D on my shorter layers until they all match up! I'm sad that I'll have to maintain this length until it's healthy but I know it'll be worth it in the long run! I've had tailbone length damaged hair before and it's not fun.

browneyedsusan
June 11th, 2014, 04:13 PM
I have a few splits, too. I S&D sometimes, but I like my layers.
I'll use the "compact cut (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117777&highlight=compact)" or "Spidermom's method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121587&p=2682424#post2682424)" to freshen up the ends soon.

Sharysa
June 11th, 2014, 11:39 PM
Definitely echoing the S&D advice. A lot of my splits and breakage don't happen at the actual end of my hair's hemline, so I just make four to six braids (I have a lot of hair) and cut off anything that's tapered or split.

Wosie
June 12th, 2014, 02:54 AM
Definitely echoing the S&D advice. A lot of my splits and breakage don't happen at the actual end of my hair's hemline, so I just make four to six braids (I have a lot of hair) and cut off anything that's tapered or split.

Aren't tapered ends usually hair that has never been cut? I have tons of those and I never cut them away, they look fine and healthy enough. ^_^

Flor
June 12th, 2014, 02:58 AM
Aren't tapered ends usually hair that has never been cut? I have tons of those and I never cut them away, they look fine and healthy enough. ^_^

Yeah, tapered are virgin uncut hairs. Best to leave those alone. I have a theory that those are actually better protected against wear and tear compared to cut ends.