PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a BBB exclusively?

Larki
June 11th, 2014, 09:13 AM
I recently rediscovered the boar bristle brush, and I love it. It makes my hair so much smoother and shinier (shiny is a big deal with blonde hair!) than it ever was, and it also seems like it's more gentle than a normal brush. In fact, I really see no reason to use my normal brush first and then follow it up with the BBB. Can I switch to only using a BBB?

Anje
June 11th, 2014, 09:28 AM
You don't really want to do serious detangling with a BBB, or so I've always heard. (That said, it seems like the best tool when my hair is tangled and full of lint. Nothing delints hair like a BBB.) For fairly normal stuff, I don't see a reason why not. Just do a cursory finger combing first to make sure there aren't any huge snarls.

martyna_22
June 11th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I love my BBB as well, but only after detangling with a wide-tooth comb. BBB is not good for detangling, its job is to make your hair smooth :) Or at least that's what I've experienced during the last two years, when I purchased mine.

Larki
June 11th, 2014, 09:41 AM
The thing is, my hair never tangles. I can't even remember the last time I got a tangle.

Pallas
June 11th, 2014, 10:03 AM
If you don't run into any tangles with the BBB, I see no reason why BBB-only wouldn't work. If it's not necassary to detangle at all, I say enjoy you tangle free life ;)

Dreams_in_Pink
June 11th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Actually, when my hair gets dangerously tangled, i can only trust my mason pearson BBB because it never breaks any hair. I think you shouldn't need another brush once you own a good quality (quality is everything!) BBB and i see no harm in using it frequently :)

martyna_22
June 11th, 2014, 10:45 AM
The thing is, my hair never tangles. I can't even remember the last time I got a tangle.

If it is the way you describe it, BBB could be the way to go :)

Larki
June 11th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Thanks, everyone!

Madora
June 11th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I recently rediscovered the boar bristle brush, and I love it. It makes my hair so much smoother and shinier (shiny is a big deal with blonde hair!) than it ever was, and it also seems like it's more gentle than a normal brush. In fact, I really see no reason to use my normal brush first and then follow it up with the BBB. Can I switch to only using a BBB?

A true boar bristle brush (no nylon mixed in!) is perfect for keeping your hair healthy and shiny, provided you use it properly! Always use a comb to detangle your hair, then gently brush it.

A great deal depends on the brush itself as not all natural bbbs are the same. Some have thicker/longer bristles and are more densely packed together, while others have shorter, more flexible bristles, with wider spaces between the bristle clumps. The shape of the handle also plays a part in how easy it is to do the brushing.

The natural boar bristle is the closest thing in nature that mimics human hair and helps in keeping hair beautiful and healthy by removing dirt/lint, dead hair cells and distributing the hair's natural sebum. It also helps stimulate the hair's follicles every time you brush (especially in the "upside down" position). Naturally, the more you use it consistently, the sooner you reap the results.

I love my bbb and have been using bbbs for more than 40 years, with excellent results.

UP Lisa
June 13th, 2014, 07:02 AM

Unbelievable.

UP Lisa
June 13th, 2014, 07:05 AM
[QUOTE=Madora;2739158][COLOR="#A52A2A"]A true boar bristle brush (no nylon mixed in!) is perfect for keeping your hair healthy and shiny, provided you use it properly! Always use a comb to detangle your hair, then gently brush it.

If I used a comb to detangle my hair, I wouldn't have any hair left.

leilani
June 13th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Do you guys find that a BBB with bigger spaces between the bristle clusters penetrates thick hair down to the scalp better? Sort of 'tangle teezer' style? My BBB doesn't penetrate well. :/

leilani
June 13th, 2014, 09:07 AM
OH and how do you DELINT your BBB? Mine is so full of lint and it's so hard to remove.

Madora
June 13th, 2014, 10:23 AM
leilani, I have had one of these for decades: http://www.mileskimball.com/buy-hair-brush-cleaner-312810

They are great for removing fallen hairs from between boar bristle clumps.

A boar bristle brush will work better through your hair if the bristle clumps are not packed too closely to one another. In order to reach all your hair, you might try brushing in the upside down position first, then detangling and then brushing again from the erect position.

Anje
June 13th, 2014, 01:22 PM
OH and how do you DELINT your BBB? Mine is so full of lint and it's so hard to remove.
Mine too! It's not MY shed hair so much as the stuff from my cats, plus towel lint, chenille (never wearing that again!) and such. Each clump ends up packed with fluffy stuff.

Doesn't help that I use mine to clean my hair of lint....

anitacs9101
June 13th, 2014, 07:58 PM
I actually used a BBB almost exclusively for a while :) When I signed up, I discovered I already had a BBB but no LHC-worthy detangling tools. As my hair grew longer it quickly became seemingly too much to handle (only at like BSL at this point lol, because I didn't know how to properly detangle) so before I detangled I would BBB all over from top to bottom. Then when I went to detangle it was MUCH faster. It was kinda a thing where I knew in the back of my head that it must be bad for my hair, but I just couldn't stop because it saved me so many tears lol.