PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff

Finnebon
June 11th, 2014, 04:50 AM
I have a slight bit of dandruff from time to time. And now that it's getting hot here, it's making my scalp itch a bit more! My boyfriend also has issues with dandruff from time to time, and we're looking for ways to treat it. I've used head and shoulders, zinc shampoos, and tea tree oil shampoos. I also rub in conditioner into my scalp and hair and sit for 10 mins or so before rinsing it out.

Any other suggestions for us? :)

two_wheels
June 11th, 2014, 04:59 AM
If it's an infection, I would try to keep the scalp dry (no conditioner soaks) and clean my hairbrushes... But if it's a dryness issue then oil massage would probably help. Can you see a doctor or at least a pharmacist?

Finnebon
June 11th, 2014, 05:23 AM
I could, but it's really minor and only occasional. I'm sure it's not an infection, probably just dryness. We have a dry heat where I am, and it's been in the upper 90s lately. :( I also work in an ice cream shop and occasionally in the giant walk-in freezer that's -10, so I'm sure that's a bit drying as well.

What kind of oils would you recommend? I've used coconut oil in the past, but that's it.

two_wheels
June 11th, 2014, 05:27 AM
I haven't tried it, but I was researching oils and found a video on YouTube where she mixes olive and castor oils
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ss--AiTxa00

Scarlet_Heart
June 11th, 2014, 06:08 AM
I would stop putting conditioner on your scalp that could be causing additional buildup and flaking. I get flaky from time to time, especially in the winter.

H&S usually works for me, but henna is also great for dandruff. You don't need to let the dye release and you won't get any color if you just mix it with warm water and put it right on. Leave it on for an hour or two at the most and then rinse it out. Mix a little tea tree oil into your henna mix or if you don't feel like bothering with henna, mix it right into your shampoo. I've used tea tree shampoos but I don't know how much tea tree is really in it.

When in doubt though, talk to your regular doctor about it or try and see a dermatologist. I hope it gets better for you!

BonnieU
June 11th, 2014, 06:31 AM
I never realized in the past that there is a difference between "dandruff" and "dry scalp" ....once I realized that I did not have actual dandruff (caused by fungus) and that it was jusy my routine that was causing the problem, it was easy to fix. I was using a scalp cleanser, DevaCurl no poo, that was causing buildup. Once I switched to shampoo bars, my problem was solved :) Everyone is a little dfferent though, and you have to know just what condition you are dealing with.

kme81
June 11th, 2014, 08:14 AM
You might try a diluted vinegar rinse, it really helps to calm down my scalp. I also live in a dry heat area.

meteor
June 11th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Dandruff is a symptom of a problem (just like itching or rashes are), so ideally you want to visit a family doctor or a dermatologist to find out what causes your dandruff, to get a diagnosis, because the diagnosis will drive the solution.

It could be xerosis (dry scalp), seborrheic dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis,... If visiting a doctor is not an option right now, please try 100% neem oil on scalp (it fights all the above-mentioned conditions) or some essential oil (tea tree, cedarwood, peppermint, sage, basil, bay, etc) blends in a safe carrier oil (neem, castor, etc).
Neem oil is something that I recommend as the best solution because it's a very effective anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, won't dry you out (it's actually very moisturizing) and you can also use it on skin for anything from fighting acne breakouts to natural insect repellants. You can get it very cheaply at any Indian store. It smells horribly though.

NOT all oils are safe to apply, because if your dandruff is caused by seborrheic dermatitis (which is extremely common), it's caused by overgrowth of fungus Malassezia feeding on your own sebum and oil natural oils heavy in oleic acid: olive oil, almond oil and many others. If you stretch washes and apply oleic acid-rich oils to your scalp, you may feel some temporary relief, you are giving more food to the fungus.

Some natural things that can safely provide relief are:
- aloe vera,
- honey,
- diluted ACV,
- soothing herbs (chamomile, calendula),
- lactic acid containing products.

In the long run, you'll need to find shampoo and conditioner that respect your scalp's natural acid mantle and don't disrupt or irritate your skin. It could take a while to figure out what exactly needs to be excluded from ingredients lists for you to prevent dandruff.