PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to your hair for bed?

crystalkiss
June 10th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Thread title pretty much says it all, haha! I'm just curious to how everyone fixes (or doesn't fix) their hair for bed.

I used to just leave mine down and sleep on it but that makes it tangle pretty badly and I hear it causes damage, so I've been trying to put mine in a single braid for sleep, but it's a pain and half the time I end up accidentally falling asleep before I get around to it :P

Aderyn
June 10th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Braided and/or bunned. If bunned, it's secured vertically with a ficcare or a JeterFork or Flexi8.

Fairlight63
June 10th, 2014, 09:16 PM
I comb through my hair, roll it around my hand, then put on a silk sleep cap. The next day my hair has nice curls from being rolled up. I used to braid it but it takes too long & I don't want braid waves.

CaliGal
June 10th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I'm still working on getting into the habit of brushing it before laying down. I put my hair up over the pillow, but I've wondered if there's a better way.
I'm looking forward to other thoughts.

mira-chan
June 10th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Braid it, maybe put a little oil on it as needed.

Madora
June 10th, 2014, 09:25 PM
[COLOR="#A52A2A"]I wear it braided in a bun on top of my head, secured by 8 3 inch crimped hair pins.

crystalkiss, why don't you braid your hair (be sure to detangle it first) an hour before you go to bed? Much healthier for your hair to be confined somehow, than have to deal with breakage from detangling your hair in the morning. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure applies to hair care too!COLOR]

neko_kawaii
June 10th, 2014, 09:30 PM
I used to exclusively braid it. Really doesn't take that long to do, but I got tired of waking up on the lump created by the fluffy hair tie. I tried top knots, but my scalp can only handle so much time spent in a bun and I wear my hair up during the day, so add in a bun at night and my scalp quickly got fatigued. I now have a silk sleep cap. I wrap my hair around my fist and then shove it into the cap. The only problem is now that it is summer I sometimes wake up sweating from it. *sigh* On nights that I oil I braid it.

PiXiEmandy
June 10th, 2014, 09:38 PM
well detangle ,then I gently pull in to two sections and I take a scrunchies and put them on and then on the bottom's .

CouteauCouture
June 10th, 2014, 09:41 PM
I usually just sleep in whatever hairstyle I wore throughout the day, whether it be loose, double buns, single buns, or braids (again, most likely bunned). I've never really heard of anyone else who does this, so I guess I could be alone in it, although admittedly I'm not particularly active on here and don't know any longhairs in the real world.

crystalkiss
June 10th, 2014, 10:01 PM
I wear it braided in a bun on top of my head, secured by 8 3 inch crimped hair pins.

crystalkiss, why don't you braid your hair (be sure to detangle it first) an hour before you go to bed? Much healthier for your hair to be confined somehow, than have to deal with breakage from detangling your hair in the morning. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure applies to hair care too!
I really should start braiding it earlier so that I don't risk accidentally falling asleep with it unbraided, you're right. :P I'm trying to get into the habit. It's an adjustment after 24 years of laziness, hah!

Great to hear all the different things everyone does! I like the idea of rolling it up in a silk sleep cap.

sourgrl
June 10th, 2014, 10:04 PM
On wash night a damp bun secured with satin scrunchies. On a non wash night bunned secured with a spin pin and satin scrunchies. I also sleep on a silk pillow which is helping to prevent breakage around my face

erizabesu
June 10th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Lately I've been keeping my hair in a braid most of the time. Before bed, I take it out of the braid, lightly finger comb it, apply some camellia oil, and re-braid it. I've found that braiding at night can actually help preserve my wurls fairly well into the second day (or beyond if I'm lucky).

Another thing I've done before is sleep in a sock bun. I found it very comfortable, and I had incredibly cool curls when I took it down.

Drosmand7
June 10th, 2014, 10:28 PM
I put it up in a bun and cover it with a satin sleep cover, tames my hair the next day. I tried to braid it but it bothered in the night. I make sure (when I'm being good) to oil the ends before bedtime.

FoxyGhost
June 10th, 2014, 10:53 PM
I usually sleep with my hair loose. When I braid or bun while I sleep it seems to make my scalp oiler faster. I know it would tangle a little less if I kept it up but it's just more comfortable to have it loose. I nearly never wear it loose during the day though.

restless
June 10th, 2014, 11:11 PM
I do an upside down french braid in damp hair (daily washer here). My hair is not that slippery and I dont move around much so I dont use anything to secure the braid with, it usually doesnt unravel anyway. After the braid is done, I just hang it over the pillow to avoid laying on it and off to sleep I go.

Ingrid
June 10th, 2014, 11:13 PM
I fold it up on top of my head and put a sleep cap on.

Weewah
June 10th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Coconut oil and a cinbabun on top of my head secured with spin pins.

spirals
June 10th, 2014, 11:50 PM
A bun or a single braid is uncomfortable so I do twin braids, either english or rope, depending on what kind of waves I want the next day. I use rings cut out of pantyhose legs or footies to tie off because that's at least better than regular ponytailers. I'm not consistent, but when I think of it I oil the tassels.

cdonald2
June 11th, 2014, 12:25 AM
My hair is too short to braid... ive tried sleep caps but they slide off :(

jacqueline101
June 11th, 2014, 03:27 AM
I leave my in a loose bun then I cover with a satin sleep cap.

Selkie-
June 11th, 2014, 03:29 AM
Detangle and then a plain English braid. :)

Mainesongbird
June 11th, 2014, 07:31 AM
I leave mine down. I wear it up all day everyday, so I let my head breathe a little

ravenheather
June 11th, 2014, 07:46 AM
A single English braid.

Nadine <3
June 11th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Either in a french braid or a sock bun on the top of my head.

spirals
June 11th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Last night I did a very heavy oiling. I didn't want my braids touching my shoulders (acne), so I did something new: I made a single braid that started on top of my head so I could throw it over my pillow. I fell down during the night because starting it as a ponytail would've been uncomfortable. It was against my back this morning, but that was OK because the oil had mostly absorbed. So that's an option for people who can't sleep in buns. I did try a bun initially, but it was so uncomfortable.

martyna_22
June 11th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I braid, if I even try wearing a bun, it hurts me, as all the hair weighs a lot and whenever I move, I can feel some pulling. And when I wake up, my scalp hurts. So buns are a no-no for me. I braid with a paranda just to make sure the ends are protected, and that's it.

LyndaF
June 11th, 2014, 11:26 AM
I wear one English braid, sometimes two. Every now and then I do a scrunchie bun on top of my head, but it always ends up waaaay loose and floppy, and I just don't think that's great for my hair.

HaMalka
June 11th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I wear my hair in 1 English braid, usually the one I've been wearing all day. When it is wet I comb it out and flop it over my second pillow.

StellaKatherine
June 11th, 2014, 01:02 PM
I comb my hair, then sometimes make a single english braid or 2 robe braids :) If i washed my hair that day I like to let my hair be open over my pillow for that night. Not buns for me that is for sure !

piffyanne
June 11th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Toss it up over the pillow. It's past knee-length and heavy enough to stay put now. :)

crystalkiss
June 11th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Oh man, I tried a bun on top of my head last night and OUCH when I woke up!!

I want to try double rope braids but did one rope braid last night and it seemed like it'd be too loose to be particularly helpful. I might just stay in the single English braid camp. XD

crystalkiss
June 11th, 2014, 02:02 PM
edit: double post -__-

Madora
June 11th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Oh man, I tried a bun on top of my head last night and OUCH when I woke up!!

I want to try double rope braids but did one rope braid last night and it seemed like it'd be too loose to be particularly helpful. I might just stay in the single English braid camp. XD

The "ouch" might be due to your hair not being used to a bun being put on top of your head. You have to "train" your follicles little by little, for them to accept the new position.

There's nothing wrong with a simple English braid at night so long as you don't braid it tightly (you should be able to stick at least 2 fingers at the top of the braid where it meets the scalp). The braid should have "wiggle room" so that it is not pulling tightly.

Pallas
June 11th, 2014, 03:37 PM
I do a loose braid, sometimes oil the ends, and instead of tying it off I roll it up and put it in a plastic baggie (or a little plastic shower cap from a hotel, to be exact), then tie the whole thing off with a scrunchie.

This started as an attempt to keep the oil out of the sheets, and see how much oil my hair really absorbed, but I kept doing it because it kept my braid from getting all fuzzy. I vary where I tie it off, and if I'm lazy I'll skip the braiding part.

I haven't heard of anyone else doing this, but it works for me and I've never had a problem with static or anything :shrug:
If I could get a sleep cap to stay anywhere near my head at night, I'd get a silk/satin one, but aparrently I sleep too violently :lol:

lapushka
June 11th, 2014, 03:40 PM
I barely move while sleeping, so it's folded underneath my head as I sleep (so yes, it's loose).

inanna
June 12th, 2014, 12:39 AM
I just throw mine over the pillow, so it's loose. It usually stays up there pretty well. After getting a Tempur pillow I don't toss and turn as much or as vigorously, so I'm sure that has helped.

When I had shorter hair, I used to put it in a top knot or just leave it in the braid I had that day. But as I don't use satin pillowcases or sleep caps, I started suspecting that I was causing more friction in the same spots by wearing it up. Now I only bun it if it's oiled or otherwise extra icky.

MandyBeth
June 12th, 2014, 01:57 AM
DH brushes any tangles out, then Dutch braid upside down, and just a normal oh so soft linen pillowcase.

Reasons why....

Pillowcase - I am a major tosser in sleep. Satin makes it worse as my head slips more and forms bigger tangles.

Upside down - anything sitting on my nape will lead to a vicious headache. Also why I don't use a satin cap.

Dutch - rope pulls viciously in my tossing around. English doesn't work with my nape issues and my hair is too short. Having the braid out also removes pressure as flattens better, thus no scalp pressure points.

DH - because he prefers playing dusty Pikachu meeting Swiffer games with my hair loose, so he fixes the mess he created by staking his claims on my hair.

CurlyCap
June 12th, 2014, 02:14 AM
Shove it all into a silk cap. It slips a little at night, but it turns out that I like the warmth of the cap, so I usually notice and just pull it back down before falling back asleep.

Quahatundightu
June 12th, 2014, 02:25 AM
High bun held with a claw clip. My hair is light enough that it doesn't pull, and this definitely is the least damaging way. I get tangles if I leave it in a braid, and if I wear it loose. The high bun lets me toss and turn as much as I like and gives me pretty bunwaves as well :)

AnqeIicDemise
June 12th, 2014, 02:48 AM
Mine's usually Dutch braided or English braided. I think it's time to start doing a top knot with said braid. I've woken up a few times unable to breathe because I have my braid wrapped around my neck and the remaining length pinned under manthing.

Zebra Fish
June 12th, 2014, 02:55 AM
Braid for the night - lay on my pillow, put the hair over the pillow and then braid, so it ends in a loose braid on the top of my head. The parts near the scalp are loose, but moving "away" I tighten it a bit so I doesn't unloose during the night, and put a bit of oil on the ends. No elastics, clips or anything. It is over the pillow so its not strangling me during the night, or no clumps, and if you turn during the night the braid is still there.

kitcatsmeow
June 12th, 2014, 06:07 AM
I kind of make a very loose twist and sleep with a silk cap. Soooo comfy and no tangles.

Mountaingrrl
June 12th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Twin English braids. I don't use ties; with my texture, they stay put by themselves. I've tried just about every other sleep style, and this is the most comfortable and least tangly. I don't think I've tried rope braids, though - might give that a go too.

ARG
June 12th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Either a single English braid secured with a scrunchi or a Dutch Braid. I was doing a French, but my hair came loose, for some reason Dutch braiding is way more secure for me. I need to find different ways to do buns, though, my hair seems to come loose when I sleep in them.

Achlys
June 12th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Bun on top of my head with a scrunchie and a bun net. I'm not completely happy with this style, as my scalp gets sore sometimes. I used to braid, but it doesn't feel protective at all for my hair. I actually ordered a net sleep snood today. If it works for me, I might be using that in the future.

Misschilly
June 12th, 2014, 01:17 PM
I make a loose english braid, don't tie it off and put on my sleep cap=)

meteor
June 13th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Braided, tied with a silk ribbon, covered with silk, and placed just above my pillow.

Sharysa
June 13th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Twin braids, often Dutch. I like braid waves because it gives my 1c/2a hair more reliable waves.

jupiterinleo
June 13th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Lately I've been sleeping with a loose, untied braid hanging above my head and down behind my pillow. It's comfortable and stays out of my way the whole night.

Tosca
June 13th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Usually in twin plaits (english braids) tied off with soft hairties (I'm not sure how to call them, but they are essentially small circles of in the round rib stitch with elastic that roll onto themselves), or if I'm feeling super sleepy, a single plait.

I used to just flip it over my pillow (above my head) but after coming here I realised how tangled that made my hair.

Sparklylady82
June 13th, 2014, 11:56 PM
depends on my mood or how I want my hair the next day! Usually a braid (single), french braid if wet, or down if I am lazy haha.

NatNat
June 14th, 2014, 09:28 AM
I shower in the evening and usually let my hair air dry for 1 - 2 hours. Then I will put it into two french braids and sleep on it that way. I like my braid waves :)

rags
June 14th, 2014, 09:53 AM
On most days it's rolled around my hand and stuffed into a silk sleep cap. Some days right before washday it's oiled and braided. I also sleep on a silk pillowcase.

Beborani
June 14th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks to a discussion here I bought a blensblend charmeuse silk sleepcap into which I tuck in my loose hair, put the whole thing out of the way over the pillow and I wake up with better hair than the one I slept in. I turn the sleepcap inside out to get the softer part inside. I am a restless sleeper but it stays put and even if moves a little away from my hairline the bulk of my hair remains contained in the tail of the cap. My pillowcase is also charmeuse silk but by itself wasn't of much use.

Tinalee
June 14th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Loose flipped over my pillow, my hair lays between the head board/ mattress and the wall.

Alyse
June 14th, 2014, 04:05 PM
I braid my hair for bed. If I'm really lazy I sleep with it out but I try not to fall into that trap. I end up with so many knots and tangles!

Jumper
June 14th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Loose if wet, braided loosely if dry. Can't wrap my head around the idea of a sleep cap or pillowcase because I love my normal pillow case so much

Ambystoma
June 15th, 2014, 10:59 PM
I have a silk pillowcase, and when I share a bed with my partner I wear a loose, high nautilus bun held with a single stick - but since I'm rooming in in the nursery at the moment I get a whole bed to myself which means no one to roll on my locks, so down and spread out behind me on the pillow they go! It feels pretty nice to have it down and since I'm one of those people that doesn't move around while sleeping at all I just comb before bed and wake up with no tangles :cheese:

Larki
June 15th, 2014, 11:30 PM
I alternate between braiding and leaving it down, depends on the temperature. If it's hot, I braid it: either a single side braid, pigtails, or (just in the last couple of days) a fishtail, simply because I need to practice my fishtail. :p I leave it down probably half the time. I braided it every night for the first 2-3 months here, but didn't notice a difference in my hair, so now I switch between braids and down.

I really want a silk pillowcase, too...we'll see!

Arashi
June 16th, 2014, 12:48 AM
Braids, always braids. English braids, French braids, Dutch braids, single braids, twin braids. Doesn't matter as long as it's braided. :p Also I sleep on a satin pillowcase.

FallingDarkness
June 16th, 2014, 01:16 AM
I cannot STAND having a bun on my head. If it's on the top of my head it hurts my scalp and if it's anywhere else it's majorly uncomfortable. I normally just put it in an English braid and call it a day. But if it was a wash night, then I put it in two Dutch braids so it'll have a chance to dry eventually.

GetMeToWaist
June 16th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I band my hair all the way down the length using about 4/5 bands, in a 'caterpillar braid'. This has been working AMAZING. For one, it completely reduces frizz by 'compacting' hair over night, and it also leaves it smooth, soft, protected and stretches out the waves, giving it a less puffy, more beachy effect.

Although sometimes I do two French braids, just for fun... if you get me.