PDA

View Full Version : Hair that takes forever to dry?

LongHairLesbian
June 10th, 2014, 02:26 PM
I used to be one of those people with quick drying hair. "Oh I don't even miss my blowdryer, my hair dries so quickly anyway, blah blah blah". That was a month or two ago. Now? I wash my hair at 11pm, put it in braids for bed, take them out at 9am the next day, and they are still noticeably damp. And I could feel the dampness inside my bun throughout my work shift too. I think it might be the weather change, because winters are dry here but spring and summer are very humid. I was still blow drying my hair last summer, so this is my first completely heat free humid season. Non heat users, how long does your hair take to dry? In this weather, my hair seems to take 12-18 hours to dry if I damp braid or bun.

bunzfan
June 10th, 2014, 02:30 PM
My hair before I cut a lot of the damage out could take at least five plus hours to dry. Since I cut a lot of bleach ends out its drying quickly.

darklyndsea
June 10th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I don't damp bun/braid because my hair takes 5-6 hours to dry when it's down; I think it would take days to dry if I damp bunned/braided. When I sleep with damp hair, it never seems any drier when I wake up than when I go to sleep, no matter how long I sleep. A cold water rinse after washing my hair seems to make it dry a little bit faster, but I'm not sure I'm not just imagining it.

Aderyn
June 10th, 2014, 02:34 PM
A few hours if left loose. Can take a day or two to dry if braided/bunned when halfway dry.

Putting it in a braid or bun dramatically increases the drying time since all of the hair is so compacted relative to being left loose.

Larki
June 10th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Why not leave your hair down to dry? It would be way faster.

Mine is fine, and only takes a little more than an hour to dry.

Madora
June 10th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Takes about half an hour to dry. I have a special technique that helps dry it faster (naturally, no blow fryers).

spidermom
June 10th, 2014, 02:49 PM
All day and all night if I braid or bun it wet, so I avoid that. I don't mind using my blow-dryer on warm, either.

AmyBeth
June 10th, 2014, 03:02 PM
If I damp bun, it won't dry at all, period. At least not for the three days that I tried it. I'm afraid of mildew after that point! I leave it down to dry and it takes 8 hours in the winter, maybe 5 in the summer.

meteor
June 10th, 2014, 03:06 PM
It takes me a few hours if down and a couple days if up, and I think it's normal. Air humidity changes the speed of drying dramatically.
Non-porous hair should dry slower than porous, because porous hair both absorbs and loses water much faster.
If you want to speed up the drying, dry it loose, go outside in the sun or use a heater if it's cold. Fanning hair or moving it while drying does help speed up the drying process.
Check out this very helpful fanning technique by Madora presented by LauraLongLocks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbgB6WhMl4Y

MeowScat
June 10th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Mine takes several hours to dry, but if I damp bun it, it will still be damp two days later.

I sit by a fan, that speeds up the drying a lot!

ExpectoPatronum
June 10th, 2014, 03:24 PM
My hair takes hours to dry on its own. 6-8 usually. I don't bother with damp braiding or bunning because my hair would never dry. It does dry a lot faster in the summertime though, especially if I go outside. I think my hair was mostly dry in about 3 hours. I have a couple spots near my scalp that took a lot longer, but that's normal.

martyna_22
June 10th, 2014, 03:31 PM
3 hours for me. I can never, ever damp braid/bun because i won't dry and will just give me a headache.

LongHairLesbian
June 10th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Why not leave your hair down to dry? It would be way faster.

Mine is fine, and only takes a little more than an hour to dry.

I let it dry down for a bit, but I like to braid it while it's still damp; I have serious wave envy, so I don't like letting my hair dry stick straight. Waves don't stay half as well if I braid my hair after it's dried completely. I used to be able to wash my hair at night, braid it for bed, and wake up to dry, wavy hair in the morning. But lately, it has been taking twice as long to dry, so when I wake up, I have damp waves that don't stay because they haven't had the chance to dry. *pout* :rant:

Drosmand7
June 10th, 2014, 05:29 PM
I was once told by a hairdresser that hair that retains water is a sign of healthy hair.

I think it's do to porosity.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb2c5pfyd98

If I keep my hair in a bun it can stay wet all day, down it takes atleast three hours.. :disgust:

Stormynights
June 10th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Takes about half an hour to dry. I have a special technique that helps dry it faster (naturally, no blow fryers).
How do you do it? I have to know. Mine dries pretty fast in front of a fan but not nearly that fast and it is so much shorter than yours.

chen bao jun
June 10th, 2014, 05:50 PM
It takes me two days, but I have to braid it or I get the tangles from h***
Trying to figure out how to cut this time a little. Its not only annoying to have it in a crown braid for 2 days but I have some breakage that I'm pretty sure is from my crown braid.
i am low porosity

Madora
June 10th, 2014, 08:21 PM
For Stormynights:

1) Place long towel over head so that it hangs vertically (hair should be between the towel (like a sandwich)
2) Take the palms of your hands and press the towel covered hair...top to bottom. Do this several times. You want to get out as much water as you can. Do NOT rub towel thru hair or down hair.
3) Detangle hair gently. Part hair in center. Clip one side so it doesn't get tangled with the other side.
4) Take a thin section of your hair from just above the eyebrow. Bring your hair strands up to your eyebrow and then extend your arm out as far as it will reach.
5) Gently let a few sections fall down. Try to drop a few sections at a time.
6) Pick up a few more strands and repeat until one side of the head is "fanned". Keep repeating and repeating until hair is nearly dry. Detangle gently and clip all dried hair to keep it separate from other side.
7) Repeat with all hair on the other side of your head. Be sure to detangle gently if needed.
8) Style as desired.

I do this outside if the weather is pleasant...70 degrees or so.
If it is cold, then I just use my portable electric heater and stand about 4 feet away from it. Takes about 45 minutes that way.

The thing to remember with drying hair naturally...the more air gets to it, the faster it will dry. By using my "fanning" technique the air is circulating thru the strands each time I drop a few. It also helps a great deal if you can remove as much moisture (via towel "patting") before you start to fan.

Hope this helps.

crystalkiss
June 10th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Mine never dries if it's braided/up, I have to leave it down to dry and even then it takes several hours. If I shower in the morning before work I'll just throw it up in a bun wet and let it down to dry when I get home in the evening. :P

Stormynights
June 10th, 2014, 09:46 PM
For Stormynights:

1) Place long towel over head so that it hangs vertically (hair should be between the towel (like a sandwich)
2) Take the palms of your hands and press the towel covered hair...top to bottom. Do this several times. You want to get out as much water as you can. Do NOT rub towel thru hair or down hair.
3) Detangle hair gently. Part hair in center. Clip one side so it doesn't get tangled with the other side.
4) Take a thin section of your hair from just above the eyebrow. Bring your hair strands up to your eyebrow and then extend your arm out as far as it will reach.
5) Gently let a few sections fall down. Try to drop a few sections at a time.
6) Pick up a few more strands and repeat until one side of the head is "fanned". Keep repeating and repeating until hair is nearly dry. Detangle gently and clip all dried hair to keep it separate from other side.
7) Repeat with all hair on the other side of your head. Be sure to detangle gently if needed.
8) Style as desired.

I do this outside if the weather is pleasant...70 degrees or so.
If it is cold, then I just use my portable electric heater and stand about 4 feet away from it. Takes about 45 minutes that way.

The thing to remember with drying hair naturally...the more air gets to it, the faster it will dry. By using my "fanning" technique the air is circulating thru the strands each time I drop a few. It also helps a great deal if you can remove as much moisture (via towel "patting") before you start to fan.

Hope this helps.

I will try this. Thank you for the explanation.

Sharysa
June 11th, 2014, 11:29 AM
If your hair is particularly long or thick, this is indeed going to be a problem. My hair's hip-length wavy and thick (nearly four inch ponytail), it takes a few hours to dry loose, or a full night to dry if I braid it.

I braid it after a wash even though it takes longer for two reasons: Considerably less tangles, and more reliable waves.

AmyBeth
June 11th, 2014, 02:12 PM
It seems like we have some very healthy low porosity hair here on LHC. Pre LHC, when my hair was subjected to blow drying, chemical color and bleach, worn down always, my hair took only 1/2hour, 45 minutes max to dry!