PDA

View Full Version : ••Keratin blow out - for LONGER hair??

Drosmand7
June 10th, 2014, 02:58 AM
Ok so I heard that Keratin blow outs makes your hair longer - is that possible?

In other news - I heard Keratin blow outs makes your hair fall out :agape:

*To be honest* I did see a growth spurt with a blow out but not sure if it was worth the money I put in.. Also, I like the idea of going all natural even self maintaining my own trims..

Thoughts please !!

two_wheels
June 10th, 2014, 03:09 AM
They will straighten your hair so you will appear to gain length, that's all.

By what others on LHC have reported, they will also trash your hair, maybe the first time, maybe the second time, but eventually it seems to come to most people.

It is nice for my short haired friends who are naturally curly but want straight short hair, though. If you don't want it long, you can get away with it I think.

ErinLeigh
June 10th, 2014, 06:15 AM
I had serious shedding with mine. Growth rate was same. I don't see how they could possible effect how fast hair grows. I would attribute any true growth spurt to being natural. Applying chemicals and keratin to hair already grown out can't effect actual growth rate. Potentially, the growth people see can be retention from using less harsh shampoos as advised, and less use uof heating tools since hair is already straight, smooth and dries faster. When I had my first one done I noticed that effect. Sadly subsequent applications only led to severe damage so I can't endorse these. They aren't worth the expense, potential health issues from inhalation during application, or risk of damage from the 450 degree iron. It shattered my hair eventually.

I am so glad to read your came out well. I would hate for anyone to have hair burned like mine was. After going thru all this I learned that by addressing the reason I got it in the first place (frizz from highly porous hair) ended up giving way better results. Learning to care for my hair is what finally got my issues under control. The keratin treatments only masked problems temporarily (well, when they weren't doing instant noticeable damage.) The hair care knowledge learned will give me long term results and that for me is so much better than taking the risks associated with keratin treatments.

dulce
June 10th, 2014, 10:38 AM
I agree with ErinLeigh,avoid chemicals as at some point it will come back to bite you on the a-.You can't get long term ,healthy very ,long,beautiful hair that way.I'm a curly so I also feel the lure of having straight hair but have come to terms with being a curyl,I finally accepted my curls and my grays and my hair is now the healthiest it's been in years.Concentrate on having the healthiest hair you can and you may be surprised how good it can look.

spidermom
June 10th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Straightened hair measures longer. I've gone to the salon for straightening and a trim, and my hair measured longer at the end than it had in the beginning.

queenovnight
June 10th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I've actually been seeing a lot about Keratin blow outs, and growth. I thought about getting one done myself, but then I did deeper research. It seems to destroy a lot of women's natural curl pattern. Some people would be okay with the idea, but the issue is that it doesn't permanently straighten out all of your hair. Some sections can go back to being bouncy, and other sections can be permanently wavy or straight - This is also what happens when curls are severely heat damaged or bleached. That kinda damage isn't reversible either. So yeah, I don't think it could possibly help with the actual growth or even health of your hair.

Hosta
June 10th, 2014, 12:33 PM
I agree it would make your hair seem longer. I have my bangs done because half of my bang is really curly and the other is stick straight. My bangs try to curl after about 4 weeks but not as bad as without the blow out. I wouldn't do it on all of my hair.

My hairdresser has used the shampoo and conditioner on my hair and I hated how it made my hair feel.

chen bao jun
June 10th, 2014, 02:05 PM
My hair would immediately go from almost APl to slightly past bra strap just from being straightened, so any way in which you make your hair straight means it will appear somewhat longer (a LOT longer if you have tighter curls).
I also have heard that Keratin treatments trash everybody's hair sooner or later. and if you have fine and fragile hair, I don't think you can do it even if you keep your hair short--and have any hair.

Allychan
June 10th, 2014, 03:24 PM
The length you gain will be short lived by the long term damage this straightening does. It has taken 3yrs for my hair to recover from Keratin straightening. I wish I'd never done it and would've saved myself the time and heartache if I'd simply just changed my hair routine to healthy diet, no chemical products & lots of TLC.

Lived and learnt :rolleyes:

kitcatsmeow
June 10th, 2014, 04:24 PM
RUINED my hair the second time. Looked and felt great at first then slowly started breaking. Don't do it!

Drosmand7
June 11th, 2014, 04:14 AM
Thanks everyone! That really helps me walk away from Keratin and never look back :run:

It just confused me when all kept hear ( well from hairstylist, makes sense now) that keratin is actually "good" for your hair, it's just protein, har har

This also makes sense.. I put highlights in my hair and did a Keratin treatment, which fried my hair like eggs on a pan. All long I thought it was only the dye but I guess the Keratin played a role too.

That's what lead to me the big chop - I've never had that short - APL is short for me since I've always had it waist +

Oh well ~ live, learn and grow on ~~

AmyBeth
June 11th, 2014, 07:27 PM
I agree with ErinLeigh,avoid chemicals as at some point it will come back to bite you on the a-.You can't get long term ,healthy very ,long,beautiful hair that way.I'm a curly so I also feel the lure of having straight hair but have come to terms with being a curyl,I finally accepted my curls and my grays and my hair is now the healthiest it's been in years.Concentrate on having the healthiest hair you can and you may be surprised how good it can look.

Oh yes, this! This is a wonderful philosophy and so freeing! To love and nurture the hair you have instead of the endless frustration of chasing the impossible dream. Although my hair is stick straight and I used to use the blow dryer and hot rollers to achieve something other than my natural texture, it just doesn't pay in the long run if you really want long hair. Hair can certainly be a fun fashion accessory that you can play with, then, if you don't like it you can trim it off. But my goal is the longest hair I can achieve, so I know that I have to be nice to my hair the way it is- fine, flat and straight.

MINAKO
June 12th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Works for me, im terms of maintaining healthy ends, i doubt it does anything positive for the growth rate tho. I never trust a stylist so i learned to handle keratin products myself. It's never the product that would wreck hair in the first place, but rather too high heat during the application, or too many passes with the iron (like 8-10 LOL).
I never attempt the extreme, but a mild smoothing effect to the hair shaft goes a long way for me, less fairy knots, less dryness, less breakage, no comb snagging during detagling. I use a product that has absolutely no formaldehyde or whatsoever in it and consider it to be very safe. Been using it for more than two years and i am currently at tailbone with a pretty blunt hemline, not one split end in sight. It might not be the right thing for everybody, but for me its a predictible addition to the routine that i wouldn't want to miss.

MINAKO
June 12th, 2014, 02:55 AM
It just confused me when all kept hear ( well from hairstylist, makes sense now) that keratin is actually "good" for your hair, it's just protein, har har

Indeed the Keratin itself isn't what causes harm to the hair, it always helps to learn about the variation in products. The range is huge and some do contain damaging stuff, just like there are a whole lot of different shampoos or conditioners out there. It's not always he same only because it uses the word keratin in it's marketing strategy.

Drosmand7
June 14th, 2014, 03:20 AM
Works for me, im terms of maintaining healthy ends, i doubt it does anything positive for the growth rate tho. I never trust a stylist so i learned to handle keratin products myself. It's never the product that would wreck hair in the first place, but rather too high heat during the application, or too many passes with the iron (like 8-10 LOL).
I never attempt the extreme, but a mild smoothing effect to the hair shaft goes a long way for me, less fairy knots, less dryness, less breakage, no comb snagging during detagling. I use a product that has absolutely no formaldehyde or whatsoever in it and consider it to be very safe. Been using it for more than two years and i am currently at tailbone with a pretty blunt hemline, not one split end in sight. It might not be the right thing for everybody, but for me its a predictible addition to the routine that i wouldn't want to miss.

Wow that's great to hear. I understand not one size fits all, but your hairtype seems pretty close to mine.. what product do you use? and how do you use it??